I signed up for xbox live with a yahoo account, can't change account associated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ladigj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ladigj
Member since 2010 • 50 Posts

I signed up for xbox live with my yahoo account. To receive xbox live rewards, you need a windows live account.

This website show's how to change the account associated with your gamertag;http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945419

but xbox live won't allow me to change it as it says I have an incorrect password when I input my yahoo account information. (I know the information is correct)

Any ideas?

MacDee23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MacDee23
Member since 2011 • 129 Posts

Well it looks like you know how to do it, but infortunately your password input has gone wrong somewhere.

Is it capslock sensitive?

Can you reset the password?

If not, then you'll have to call MS customer support to get them to reset your password.

Ladigj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ladigj

It seems like xbox live only allows you to change from one "windows live" account to another and I do not have a windows live account. I'm not sure, I'll probably have to call microsoft.

I may reset the password and try again.

Basically I don't know how I signed up for xbox live with a yahoo account. Is that possible?

MacDee23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MacDee23

Yea it's possible.

I was with BT Internet for over a year and had my XBox live account linked to the ....@btinternet.com email address. I only switched it over less than 3 weeks ago to a ....live.co.uk email address because i wanted to use some messenger functions with my live account.

A password reset should work, then when you know for sure what the password is, just enter your details correctly and make the switch. It doesn't cost anything to do.

Ladigj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ladigj

Alright, thanks, I will try a password reset.

Ladigj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ladigj

I reset the password and it still tells me that the password is wrong. Hmm..

MacDee23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MacDee23

I reset the password and it still tells me that the password is wrong. Hmm..

Ladigj

I can only think you are doing something wrong then.

Read carefully what you are inputting.

I believe you need to enter the OLD password once, then enter the NEW password twice. (from memory that is how i remember it anyway).

Make sure you have got upper case and lower case correct too.

Ladigj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ladigj

I understand what your saying. It's asking me for my yahoo information before my new windows live information. I have to think this might be on microsoft. I know the email and password to my yahoo account. I'm not sure why it's saying it's wrong.

MacDee23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MacDee23

I understand what your saying. It's asking me for my yahoo information before my new windows live information. I have to think this might be on microsoft. I know the email and password to my yahoo account. I'm not sure why it's saying it's wrong.

Ladigj

I think i can see where you are going wrong.

You are trying to put your yahoo password in. This is wrong.

You need to use your yahoo email address, with your xbox live password. (which i assume are different)

So when it asks for your old password, you dont enter your yahoo password, you need to enter your old xbox live password.

Ladigj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ladigj

Let me find out what it says.

Do you want to switch emails; yes

Do you have a windows live id; yes

Then it says

Enter the windows live id password currently associated with this xbox live account;

Windows live id: ___@yahoo.com (Cannot change)

Password: ______ (I enter)

I appreciate your help. I entered the password for the id I want to change to as well to no avail.

Ladigj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ladigj

dp

MacDee23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MacDee23

Let me find out what it says.

Do you want to switch emails; yes

Do you have a windows live id; yes

Then it says

Enter the windows live id password currently associated with this xbox live account;

Windows live id: ___@yahoo.com (Cannot change)

Password: ______ (I enter)

I appreciate your help. I entered the password for the id I want to change to as well to no avail.

Ladigj

You are SURE you are entering your CURRENT XBOX LIVE ACCOUNT password? From what you describe i think you might be trying to use your email Yahoo password, which, unless you made them the same, will of course not be the same.

Just to clarify, in the password box you have shown me, you need to be entering the same password that allows you to sign into your XBox live account.

If you can play games online on your xbox, then your password obviously works and it is this one you need to be entering.

If you can't play games online, then your password needs to be reset.

Just ask yourself, Can you play games online? If the answer is yes, then it is that password you need to be using.

Ladigj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ladigj

Okay, it seems to be asking for my yahoo account information because that's what I signed up for xbox live with.

When I sign into xbox live it doesn't ask for a password?

MacDee23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MacDee23

Okay, it seems to be asking for my yahoo account information because that's what I signed up for xbox live with.

When I sign into xbox live it doesn't ask for a password?

Ladigj

That's because you have auto sign in turned on.

I can assure you it is not asking for your yahoo account information.

In order to change the email associated with your xbox live account, the only password you need to know is your current xbox live password, not your yahoo email password.

If you can sign in to xbox live and play games online, then your password is working fine. If you can't remember it, then you will need to contact Microsft for a password reset.

mzlokka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mzlokka
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I have the same problem with my account at first when i sign up for Xbox live i sign in with my yahoo account and now that i want to sign in it says that i don't have one so what can i do to retrieve my gametag