I picked the wrong gamertag by accident -- how do I change without $$$?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grongo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 grongo2
Member since 2009 • 119 Posts

Total noob move here, but I got an Xbox, payed for a year of Xbox Live, and started setting up the account and name. Tried to pick a few names and they were already taken and the system suggested a few to me including my own name. I ACCIDENTALLY clicked my own name and instead of giving me a 2nd chance to describe it just sent me to the next menu with no way to change. Now I'm stuck with my actual full name as a gamertag and I don't want to pay 10 bucks for the mistake. I'm thinking I can delete the account but would that cost me the 50 I just paid? I wrote tech support and they just said pay the ten bucks for the change. This sucks.

SragentThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 SragentThom
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Total noob move here, but I got an Xbox, payed for a year of Xbox Live, and started setting up the account and name. Tried to pick a few names and they were already taken and the system suggested a few to me including my own name. I ACCIDENTALLY clicked my own name and instead of giving me a 2nd chance to describe it just sent me to the next menu with no way to change. Now I'm stuck with my actual full name as a gamertag and I don't want to pay 10 bucks for the mistake. I'm thinking I can delete the account but would that cost me the 50 I just paid? I wrote tech support and they just said pay the ten bucks for the change. This sucks.

grongo2

It's Impossible to do it without cash.

Tht1Guy7780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tht1Guy7780
Member since 2009 • 1277 Posts

grongo2

10 dallllaaass

Sorry, thats unfortunate.

Im not aware of any other way to change it. Shouldve set the account up before shelling out the 50 bills for live.

Stashbash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Stashbash
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

Looks like you're stuck here I'm afraid mate, you'll have to stump up the cash. Don't try getting people to file complaints against your name either, you won't get a name change and you'll probably just get banned.

grongo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 grongo2
Member since 2009 • 119 Posts

I guess my followup question is: is it really bad to have my full first and last name as a gamertag? My girlfriend says act proud about it, pretend you're famous but I worry there's security issues.

Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I would just change it. It's only 10$ I don't think it's that big of a deal. Just make sure when you do it that it is the gamertag that you want. So, you don't have to do it again.
XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#7 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

It's a bad idea to have your full name out there in cyberspace. If I were you change it ASAP. Swallow the $10 and move on.

Redwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Redwa
Member since 2004 • 95 Posts

I guess my followup question is: is it really bad to have my full first and last name as a gamertag? My girlfriend says act proud about it, pretend you're famous but I worry there's security issues.

grongo2

It's not that big a deal. My brother made his gamertag our last name. Now if you run into someone you know online, they'll know exactly who you are. Don't think there is really any security issue having your gamertag your full name. I mean what's the worst that could happen? Someone gonna try and indentity theft you after reading your gamertag? I don't think so.

XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XCyberForceX
[QUOTE="Redwa"][QUOTE="grongo2"]

It's not that big a deal. My brother made his gamertag our last name. Now if you run into someone you know online, they'll know exactly who you are. Don't think there is really any security issue having your gamertag your full name.

Either a first name or last name by itself is okay. But if I understand the question its your entire name (first + last). Call me paranoid but that's a bad idea. CHANGE IT!
xXMotoPsychoXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 xXMotoPsychoXx
Member since 2009 • 187 Posts

grongo2
Yeah I don't think that I would want everyone of XBL knowing my full name. I also have where I live on my tag which would make it easy for someone to track me if I supplied a last name. You could always get some one to give you enought bad reviews that you are forced to change your gamertag. I heard that, that will work. I have never tried it though.
Imm0ral_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Imm0ral_Knight
Member since 2009 • 261 Posts
Never use your full name as a username on anything related to cyber. You can however change it a bit so it is still unique, like use your first name but with some vibe to it.
limonman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 limonman32
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts
When you made an account, if they asked you to make a new profile, then couldn't you just change the profile name without a fee? I'm not 100% sure about this but its worth giving a try, right?
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="SragentThom"]

[QUOTE="grongo2"]

It's Impossible to do it without cash.

Yup, it sucks but your going to have to come out some cash for the exchange.
Vashn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vashn
Member since 2008 • 1416 Posts

lol, thats actually kind of funny. But ya, 10 dollars, or try to give 4 my xbox a ring and tell them your story, depending on who answers they might let you change it for security reasons

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

are your first and last names common? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. Plus, your name could be everywhere, but that's not enough to hack into an account or something...it's not like you put your social security number as your gamertag... or did you?

Fallout692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fallout692
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
If i were you i would pay $10 rarther than pay $50 because you can't change your name without paying. Sorry to give ya the bad news!
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I would just pay the $10 and change it dude.

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
You would be amazed how many people make the same mistake. Ya pays yo money ya learns yo lesson. Sorry.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Call MS tech support

Tell them that you have personal information available in your gamertag, and want it removed.

Once they figure out you're talking about your gamertag they'll try to claim they have to charge you 800 points.

You reply the TOU claims caution against revealing personal information said information can be assumed to be dangerous hence the change should be free of charge.

If they continue to argue that you need to pay the 800 points:

Argue that MS never mentions the danger of personal information in gamertags in their COC (code of conduct) agreement until after the player has selected their gamertag (not sure this is still how it's done but last I remember that's how it went).

Most the time if a TSR hears TOU, COC you'll either get exactly what you want or they'll pass the buck since they aren't allowed to interpret legal agreements.

If the rep still refuses to change the gamertag w/out a fee, or to pass the buck to legal:

Then inform him that they as a MS rep have been informed of the issue, and are now MS is legally responsible for any damages associated to having your personal information in your gamertag. Ask again for the phone reps name, and now if anything happens to you for having your name in your gamertag you can sue MS for any damages.

XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XCyberForceX

Call MS tech support

Tell them that you have personal information available in your gamertag, and want it removed.

Once they figure out you're talking about your gamertag they'll try to claim they have to charge you 800 points.

You reply the TOU claims caution against revealing personal information said information can be assumed to be dangerous hence the change should be free of charge.

If they continue to argue that you need to pay the 800 points:

Argue that MS never mentions the danger of personal information in gamertags in their COC (code of conduct) agreement until after the player has selected their gamertag (not sure this is still how it's done but last I remember that's how it went).

Most the time if a TSR hears TOU, COC you'll either get exactly what you want or they'll pass the buck since they aren't allowed to interpret legal agreements.

If the rep still refuses to change the gamertag w/out a fee, or to pass the buck to legal:

Then inform him that they as a MS rep have been informed of the issue, and are now MS is legally responsible for any damages associated to having your personal information in your gamertag. Ask again for the phone reps name, and now if anything happens to you for having your name in your gamertag you can sue MS for any damages.

Mod note: Removed duplicate quote. Take care when quoting!

jrhawk42

WOW! DUDE you really know your stuff! KUDOS to you. FYI people, pay attention to this info. It's great to have this insight!

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

have you tried calling and explaining to them what happen

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

It's a bad idea to have your full name out there in cyberspace. If I were you change it ASAP. Swallow the $10 and move on.XCyberForceX

unless you have a SUPREMELY unique name i wouldnt worry about it. theres gotta be at least hundreds if not thousands of people with your first AND last name

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts

Looks like you're stuck here I'm afraid mate, you'll have to stump up the cash. Don't try getting people to file complaints against your name either, you won't get a name change and you'll probably just get banned.

Stashbash
Wrong. It will force a name change after a certain number of complaints. And it won't be a ban, it'll be a suspension. One day.
d-high29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 d-high29
Member since 2008 • 332 Posts

id just leave it as it is but if you really wanna change it you have to pay $10.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I doubt MS will allow you to change it without paying. I'd strongly suggest you change it since having your full name online is not a very good idea. Good luck.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

I had my full name as my GT for a year, never had a problem, seriously people are so damn paranoid, what you think someone is going to hack you because they have your name? lol.

Maybe if you added your IP address you would have a problem but come on :P

Avatar image for MickaelJulliard
MickaelJulliard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MickaelJulliard
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

It's a bad idea to have your full name out there in cyberspace. If I were you change it ASAP. Swallow the $10 and move on.

XCyberForceX

What's wrong with having your full name "Out there in cyberspace"?
(Note: My username on GS is my full name :P )