I am getting a TV for my B-day...is this ok?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kokiri-Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Kokiri-Kid
Member since 2007 • 584 Posts

$200 dollers is the highest I can go, will this run my 360 in HD? Like much better then a normal tv? Is there a diffrence between this and any other tv thats hd that may make the graphics better?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8205417&productCategoryId=abcat0101001&type=product&tab=1&id=1165610379139#productdetail

Kokiri-Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Kokiri-Kid
Member since 2007 • 584 Posts
anybody?
g5velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 g5velocity
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts

Holy underwear! I guess you're gonna be right in front of the screen when you're playing cuz 15" is a small screen.

Death-Walrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Death-Walrus
Member since 2008 • 189 Posts

without even seeing the pic i can tell u 200 will get u a 15 inch or smaller?....u might as well save it and get atleast a 24 inch next month. or if moneys a problem not sure for u, but easter??

if its burning a hole than 4get nething i said...just cant see waisting 200 on 15 inch rather than saving a lil more for bigger screenIMO

mgow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mgow
Member since 2003 • 797 Posts

You can get a nice 17 in. monitor or maybe even a 19 in for 200 or less. But yes that will do hd for ya...but eh, you should really look for a nice widescreen monitor. That 4:3 ratio might stretch your picture vertically

J5_Hook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 J5_Hook
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts

$200 dollers is the highest I can go, will this run my 360 in HD? Yes

Like much better then a normal tv? Yes. normal TV is 480i and this is 720p

Is there a diffrence between this and any other tv thats hd that may make the graphics better? A much much more expensive TV would have 1080p which is better than 720p. Plus the bigger the better, but this isnt bad for under 200.

g5velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 g5velocity
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts

You can possibly find better deals than that. For $200 you can get up to 20" monitors at Costco.com or Walmart.com but keep in mind it's a MONITOR ONLY! No TV tuner.

Here's one you can find IN a retail Walmart store

Dell 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor

MuffinPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 MuffinPunk
Member since 2007 • 4845 Posts
Yeah get 19 or higher. ask for the $200 and save up.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

J5_Hook

That's a lie...... Just because it's HD doesn't mean it will look any better. 1st of all, HD means NOTHING on a screen that small. You WILL not see the difference, I promise. Even at 20" you're going to have to look really hard at still images to see any improvement over 480p (EDTV). 2nd, Insignia (Best Buy's in-house brand) is garbage. CNet just reviewed their latest "offering" and called it the worst TV (this particular one was a plasma) they've reviewed. Don't waste yours or your parents' money on this one. Save it until you can afford something that is more worthwhile.
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts
Save up some money and at least go for a 19 inch tv. Some of those are 720p native.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
[QUOTE="J5_Hook"]

nosferatu

That's a lie...... Just because it's HD doesn't mean it will look any better. 1st of all, HD means NOTHING on a screen that small. You WILL not see the difference, I promise. Even at 20" you're going to have to look really hard at still images to see any improvement over 480p (EDTV). 2nd, Insignia (Best Buy's in-house brand) is garbage. CNet just reviewed their latest "offering" and called it the worst TV (this particular one was a plasma) they've reviewed. Don't waste yours or your parents' money on this one. Save it until you can afford something that is more worthwhile.

Wrong. No matter what the screen size, higher resolutions will always look better. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112007 Less than $200, 20.1" widescreen. It will run games very nicely. You'll need a vga adapter, though, which will run another $35.

joeishawt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 joeishawt
Member since 2006 • 129 Posts
happy birthday!!!
lotr_2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 lotr_2003
Member since 2003 • 2096 Posts
Buy a 19 inch widescreen LCD monitor. It's a perfect size to play games in a bedroom and it will output 720p graphics. This will cost you around 200$.
Death-Walrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Death-Walrus

why would u want to play on nething smaller than 24? hd or not...

id rather play on 24 sdtv than spend 200 onna 15 inch hi def

ask ur parents if they're willing to pay extra money for glasses...then tell em to use that money for a bigger screen. its all in how u negotiate lol 8)

DonMega187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 DonMega187
Member since 2007 • 1103 Posts

Man do not buy that monitor get this:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX19232(ME).aspx

Beg your parents until their ears are bloody for the extra 50 bucks. B/c it is you bday and you will not regret it that best buy monitior is a total rip off

Plus the brand should tell you the quality of the monitor "INSIGNIA" LOLOLOL

Death-Walrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Death-Walrus
then getta job and buy good speakers lol
WWIAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 WWIAB
Member since 2006 • 4352 Posts
[QUOTE="J5_Hook"]

nosferatu

I wouldn't trust this opinion too much, I have a 19 inch Goodmans widescreen for my bedroom, I run my 360 on it and it looks great in 720p, its nowhere near as good as my 50 inch samsung, but I would try and get something that is widescreen

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I don't know what size your current sdtv is, but if it's 24"+ then I would rather play that on sd, than on a tiny 15" in HD.

I have played my 360 through a 17" 4:3 PC monitor at 720p, and while the picture is crisper, you have to sit soo close to the screen, and on some games the text is just too small to read. Personally the size isn't worth the trade-off for picture quality.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts
[QUOTE="nosferatu"][QUOTE="J5_Hook"]

WWIAB

I wouldn't trust this opinion too much, I have a 19 inch Goodmans widescreen for my bedroom, I run my 360 on it and it looks great in 720p, its nowhere near as good as my 50 inch samsung, but I would try and get something that is widescreen

You guys can doubt what I say all you want, but it doesn't change it. I'm a huge proponent of HD. I have an HD projector, both HD disc formats, etc, so don't go assuming that I have bad eyes, can't tell the difference, or whatever else you're gonna argue.

Saying that it will look better in HD no matter the size is a complete lie. Notice that I said 480p in my post. That's because, in all honesty, at that size making it progressive scan is the biggest improvement. You lose the edge bleeding and a bunch of other things. That 15" screen is not big enough to start seeing the kinds of minor details that having HD offers.

I know that some of you are going to argue that you have 17" monitors and you can CLEARLY see the difference when you up the resolution, etc on PC games. Well guess what, you're right. That's because you are changing the source material though. You're adding higher polygon counts, higher res textures, more bump mapping, and all that fun stuff. With a console or HDTV you are taking the same source material and just displaying it at a resolution where some of these details that are already being rendered are no longer lost in the background because there are more pixels and thus more locations where these small details can be displayed.

If you want to doubt me, fine.... I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. :roll:

bradly_2795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bradly_2795
Member since 2004 • 948 Posts
[QUOTE="WWIAB"][QUOTE="nosferatu"][QUOTE="J5_Hook"]

nosferatu

You guys can doubt what I say all you want, but it doesn't change it. I'm a huge proponent of HD. I have an HD projector, both HD disc formats, etc, so don't go assuming that I have bad eyes, can't tell the difference, or whatever else you're gonna argue.

Saying that it will look better in HD no matter the size is a complete lie. Notice that I said 480p in my post. That's because, in all honesty, at that size making it progressive scan is the biggest improvement. You lose the edge bleeding and a bunch of other things. That 15" screen is not big enough to start seeing the kinds of minor details that having HD offers.

I know that some of you are going to argue that you have 17" monitors and you can CLEARLY see the difference when you up the resolution, etc on PC games. Well guess what, you're right. That's because you are changing the source material though. You're adding higher polygon counts, higher res textures, more bump mapping, and all that fun stuff. With a console or HDTV you are taking the same source material and just displaying it at a resolution where some of these details that are already being rendered are no longer lost in the background because there are more pixels and thus more locations where these small details can be displayed.

If you want to doubt me, fine.... I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. :roll:

I never doubted you:| lol