Halo Wars DLC- Wow what a huge ripoff.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

User Lists: 0

#1 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

$10 for 3 game modes? What they hell were they smoking when they put a price tag on this? As if it wasn't bad enough we are paying $10 for 3 maps, devs now think that they can cut out gamemodes (not new missions or vehicles. Just a new timer on the screen) and charge us insane prices for it. First, SF4 costumes then RE5's DLC now this.

When will this damn overpriced DLC madness end? I'm sick of it.

LightColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LightColor
Member since 2006 • 2709 Posts
lol should of read what they were offering 1st, if u didn't buy it yet n just want to say something, we should blame the 1st game to have DLC, which would b?
SLUG85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SLUG85
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts
This DLC madness is getting out of hand. Either its some bs thats not worth the money. Or its something they decided to not put on disc and make 10 dollars off of later. Or it just sucks. Theres very few worthy DLC packs. Horse Armor
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpinoRaptor24

lol should of read what they were offering 1st, if u didn't buy it yet n just want to say something, we should blame the 1st game to have DLC, which would b?LightColor

Well I never bought.

And no, we don't blame "the first game to have DLC", we blame the devs that overcharge us.

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts
The problem is there will ALWAYS be people who will defend these schemes by saying things like: "Oh stop being cheap it's only....." or "If you don't like it, then don't buy it, I'll enjoy it with my buddies lol" People like them enable and encourage these practices and it will never end. It's not fair but that's just life.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

lol should of read what they were offering 1st, if u didn't buy it yet n just want to say something, we should blame the 1st game to have DLC, which would b?LightColor

The 1st game that had DLC (in non download form) would have been a game with an expansion or an addition of content. Now however the developers have removed 99% of the "expansion" content and called it DLC....

I would have bought this if they say added.... maybe 3 maps along side the 3 game modes and more additional achievements, but even then $10 may have been a little much. This content as it is.... is only patch worthy. A nice old free patch, but what do you expect. Microsoft closes down the company developing the game and then super charges for no content whatsoever.

And don't blame the companies doing it, but the people buying. They only sell it because they know people will pay for it. If people stopped buying we would either get no DLC (which wouldn't be a huge deal at all.... the original would still have the same amount of content) or they would put them out for free. This goes for all prices. Why do the 360 versions of PC games cost $10 more? Because they can... Does it cost more to advertise the 360 version than PC? Does it cost more to create one version over the other (probably, but not much because you have to at least create one version so you can port). Does it cost more to for the materials they use? Probably not because many (don't know why) PC game cases are 2x the size (the plastic ones) compared to 360 and most only have 1 disc... The 360 can hold 4 discs in a smaller case than what Fallout 3 came in for the PC....

So blame gamers because it is our fault for the same game being released several times (but better graphics), DLC that costs way to much, and for so many other things

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts
oh and i think the first game to blame for dlc was splinter cell chaos theory.. with the new map packs.. thats the first thing i remember buyin online
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

ummmm. did you expect not to get ripped off?...

i mean.. your playing a 360 bud

Renzokucant
So ALL dlc has been a rip-off?
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

DLC is become more of a problem that actually being something good that adds to the game experience. Devs really need to start thinking about the consumer instead of thinking about their wallets.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11939 Posts

What is funny to me is that I thought Halo Wars was a rip-off.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Renzokucant

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

craigalan23

well when your paying up to and over 10% of the games initial cost to play dlc that may ( and in most cases already is ) be on the disc, then yes its a rip off. so yea, id go as far as to say all dlc is a ripoff, unless its free.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#13 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
We know. I have a hard time believing anyone is going to buy Strategic Options.
Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

Thats it! ima start watching movies.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vashkey

[QUOTE="craigalan23"][QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

Renzokucant

well when your paying up to and over 10% of the games initial cost to play dlc that may ( and in most cases already is ) be on the disc, then yes its a rip off. so yea, id go as far as to say all dlc is a ripoff, unless its free.

I'm calling bs on that part of your post.

damaster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 damaster101
Member since 2005 • 1476 Posts

What is funny to me is that I thought Halo Wars was a rip-off.

gatsbythepig

Thats a good way to put it.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Renzokucant

Certain dlc is a rip-off which is true especially dlc that is already on the disc but there is also good dlc. Whenever a company does this I simply remember it and buy games that are made by them used as they wont get any more of my money.
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Renzokucant

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

[QUOTE="craigalan23"] So ALL dlc has been a rip-off? vashkey

call bs till ur blue in the face, doesnt stop us from getting ripped off, or paying for somethin we already bought. but i appreciate your enthusiasm. HEY here's an idea, lets buy a game, then pay to play it online, then pay to unlock more things on the game i just paid for, then pay for a fan to keep my fickle system from RROD'ing on me.. again.., and lets pay for some batteries for my controller, or for a docking station to recharge them, and an external HD-DVD player... my goodness M$ has really taken a chunk outa my wallet.. but we love them because.... (finish this sentence i give u a dolla)

http://planetresidentevil.gamespy.com/articles/news/823/IGN-claims-RE5-DLC-already-on-the-disc

http://gamerlimit.com/2009/03/dlc-buying-things-that-are-on-your-disc-already/

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpinoRaptor24

Renzokucant

Not all DLC are ripoffs.

Expansion packs like GTAIV Lost and Damned and Fallout 3 Broken Steel were actually worth their price tags.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpinoRaptor24

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

[QUOTE="craigalan23"] So ALL dlc has been a rip-off? vashkey

It's sort of true. SF4 costumes were already on the disc and you were basically paying for a key to unlock them.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vashkey

[QUOTE="vashkey"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

Renzokucant

call bs till ur blue in the face, doesnt stop us from getting ripped off, or paying for somethin we already bought. but i appreciate your enthusiasm. HEY here's an idea, lets buy a game, then pay to play it online, then pay to unlock more things on the game i just paid for, then pay for a fan to keep my fickle system from RROD'ing on me.. again.., and lets pay for some batteries for my controller, or for a docking station to recharge them, and an external HD-DVD player... my goodness M$ has really taken a chunk outa my wallet.. but we love them because.... (finish this sentence i give u a dolla)

http://planetresidentevil.gamespy.com/articles/news/823/IGN-claims-RE5-DLC-already-on-the-disc

I missed the part where you made a counter argument, What does all this have to do with your claim that most dlc is already on disc. I only know of a hand full of games that do this.

By the way, you don't have to get ripped off. Don't buy dlc, easy as that. You don't need to pay for DLC to play any game online. You don't buy games for DLC, you buy games for games. It's up to you weather to throw you money away for a hand full of maps you don't need.

Where does the fan come from in the equation? It void your warranty, it's no one but your own fault if you're dum enough to buy one of those. Every console this gen has controllers that run on batteries and optional rechargable batteries you can buy. And what does the HD DVD player have to do with any of this?

Sounds like someone isn't a very smart consumer. Sounds like someone should just play some other platform.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vashkey

[QUOTE="vashkey"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

SpinoRaptor24

It's sort of true. SF4 costumes were already on the disc and you were basically paying for a key to unlock them.

I wasn't aware Street Fighter 4 was most games.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11939 Posts
Well, it is. It is.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vashkey
Lol, my bad.
Avatar image for TheActionFigure
TheActionFigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheActionFigure
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

DLC isn't going anywhere any time soon. If it sickens you vote with your wallet, and simply don't buy it.

TheRevanent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 TheRevanent
Member since 2006 • 201 Posts

That's why I always read whats in the DLC before I buy it. I do agree that most DLC is a complete rip-off but there are some that warrant their price tags and should be purchased if you have the interest, GTA IV, Fallout 3, and Fable 2 all come to mind.

Avatar image for Darkstar_Sinada
Darkstar_Sinada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#27 Darkstar_Sinada
Member since 2003 • 1072 Posts

[QUOTE="vashkey"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

Renzokucant

Oh, go walk your virtual avatar around the malls in Home, and buy $3.00 chairs for your virtual room Sony fanboy. Most DLC is NOT on the disc to begin with, just some (which I agree is a rip-off).
LycanBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 LycanBane
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts

the games not that good to begin with...

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
Thank goodness I haven't tempted to buy ANY dlc I've ever come across. I've looked at map packs but still don't bother. If nobody bought them they'd change, but people still buy this stuff. We shouldn't be paying for keys that's for sure, games are expensive as **** nowadays as it is. At the moment though I'm not bothered as it's usually just trivial things in the games, but if we keep going down the road to DLC which adds to incomplete games we'll have sad days indeed (Fable 2 and Fallout 3 didn't have satisfying endings, if I start seeing DLC for another chapter for the game for money I'll be pissed as tempting as it'd be. And unfortunately that kinda stuff is what would sell.)
Shika_Stoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Shika_Stoner
Member since 2008 • 918 Posts

Well personally I thought the reinforcement gametype was fun but none of them were enough to warrant 10 bucks. I wish more games handled their DLC like Civilization Revolution does. It's DLC is cheap usually less than 400 MS points and come with 5 or 6 maps a pop and scenarios/game modes to match them.

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts

[QUOTE="LightColor"]lol should of read what they were offering 1st, if u didn't buy it yet n just want to say something, we should blame the 1st game to have DLC, which would b?Agent_Kaliaver

The 1st game that had DLC (in non download form) would have been a game with an expansion or an addition of content. Now however the developers have removed 99% of the "expansion" content and called it DLC....

I would have bought this if they say added.... maybe 3 maps along side the 3 game modes and more additional achievements, but even then $10 may have been a little much. This content as it is.... is only patch worthy. A nice old free patch, but what do you expect. Microsoft closes down the company developing the game and then super charges for no content whatsoever.

And don't blame the companies doing it, but the people buying. They only sell it because they know people will pay for it. If people stopped buying we would either get no DLC (which wouldn't be a huge deal at all.... the original would still have the same amount of content) or they would put them out for free. This goes for all prices. Why do the 360 versions of PC games cost $10 more? Because they can... Does it cost more to advertise the 360 version than PC? Does it cost more to create one version over the other (probably, but not much because you have to at least create one version so you can port). Does it cost more to for the materials they use? Probably not because many (don't know why) PC game cases are 2x the size (the plastic ones) compared to 360 and most only have 1 disc... The 360 can hold 4 discs in a smaller case than what Fallout 3 came in for the PC....

So blame gamers because it is our fault for the same game being released several times (but better graphics), DLC that costs way to much, and for so many other things

proove they removed it from the original game as they have been record saying that was what they have been making in the last few months. people should look into whats for sale, do you really buy everything before finding out what it is? i havent bought the dlc and im not going to because ive looked into it and seen its not for me. people should do that and save winging or moeny. theres ripoffs in every marketplace/shops in life, you just have to use your brain before spending money then you dont have problems because of it sure loads of dlc is a waste of money, dont buy it, or if your not going to buy then dont make a fuss your wasting your time, theres much bigger things to get angry over
gamer26690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamer26690
Member since 2004 • 715 Posts
the thing i find funny is MS tried to justify in the inside xbox advertisement for the dlc. the last 2 sentences says 800msp thats only 266.6msp per mode. Bargain. bull**** more like it
RabidAnts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RabidAnts
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

idk if anyone knows this cause im tired of kids saying its the devs fault. Microsoft sets the prices. if the devs actually arent allowed to make it free. valve had to fight to make the l4d dlc free. dont speak until you know the facts.

ShadowScampi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ShadowScampi
Member since 2005 • 55 Posts
Horse ArmorSLUG85
u think horse armor was worthy?!i tell you what was worthy...shivering isles and te halo 3 map packs...but HORSE ARMOR?!
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="SLUG85"] Horse ArmorShadowScampi
u think horse armor was worthy?!i tell you what was worthy...shivering isles and te halo 3 map packs...but HORSE ARMOR?!

i THINK hes being sarcastic, just maybe :P
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SpinoRaptor24

idk if anyone knows this cause im tired of kids saying its the devs fault. Microsoft sets the prices. if the devs actually arent allowed to make it free. valve had to fight to make the l4d dlc free. dont speak until you know the facts.

RabidAnts

Yes I know. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for MS, most of the DLC would be free.

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

[QUOTE="RabidAnts"]

Yes I know. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for MS, most of the DLC would be free.

well why do sony and nintendo charge for stuff on their marketplace the only way dlc would be free is if it was for the pc. this is the whole industries plan not just ms. i cant really see what the outrage is if you dont buy the stuff, do you get sick of everything thats a rip off theres much worse things. your really stupid if you cant distinguish between good dlc and bad dlc. you should read into what you buy just as you do for full price games