GTA 4 x360 no-hard drive

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topmanhugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 topmanhugo
Member since 2007 • 200 Posts

dere is some problem with the wiv R* developin the game for da x360 wiv no hard drive (core) y is this happening? i mean oblivion was a huge game and it worked fine

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
who knows why, but im just sick of hearing crap from Sony fanboys about it
Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
who knows why, but im just sick of hearing crap from Sony fanboys about it (not that im calling you one). Maybe R* are not as skilled at dealing with the issue as Bethesda was with Oblivion
RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 RabbidDawg
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

Honestly I just wish they would destroy the core, so things like this wouldnt be a problem. Just have the premium and Elite. Really how many people dont have a HDD anyway? I mean its almost pointless to really have a 360 and not get the HDD. Sure getting the core saves you a few bucks, but the 360 was pretty much designed to be online, and game saves take up huge amounts of space and some times run a lot smoother when there is a HDD to cache files to.  Memory cards are pointless, even if you are just using them for game saves eventusally its not gonna be enough space.

Just my opinion. I feel the 360 is useless with out the HDD. Just can the core and then all 360s will have an HDD, and for those that dont, well maybe devs should just put a stamp on game boxes saying the game requires an HDD, then people would have buy one which really they should have one any way but its not there fault its MS's for even making the core.. 

topmanhugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 topmanhugo
i agree, i will feel very disapointed if the ps3 version is superior to the x360 version jst because of the core that's unfair for premium and elite owners.
Avatar image for Screamin_EaGLes
Screamin_EaGLes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Screamin_EaGLes
Member since 2006 • 2278 Posts
they should bump the 20GB price down to 50 bucks at least now so people that dont have the hard drive can get it for an affordable price.
TWOC2689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 TWOC2689
Member since 2006 • 866 Posts
This is seriously going to hurt the 360, because fans who don't follow game news like us will get angry. I agree that Microsoft needs to drop the Core pack as it is too confusing and it only waist space in store shelves
RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RabbidDawg

i agree, i will feel very disapointed if the ps3 version is superior to the x360 version jst because of the core that's unfair for premium and elite owners.topmanhugo

Exactly. If the core is hindering the process, then R* needs to just dev for it like evryone has an HDD and just put a stamp on the back of the game box saying that an HDD is required to play this game. There are a lot of poeple who will be upset if the 360 version is inferior all because of something like this, and I will be one of them.

What out of 11 million 360 owners Id say at least 9 million probably have HDDs, and at least half a million probably have a PS3 and 360 and if its better on the PS3, which version do you think that they will buy? GTA is a system seller believe it or not, and the system its better on is gonna sell more. Im not going by any factual numbers just giving a rough example of how it could turn out.

The last thing I would want to think is that now devs are finding a bottleneck on the 360 because not all 360s have an HDD. An HDD can be used for gamings benefit, and really the 360 sucks with out one, so hopefully the core wil go bye bye soon.

topmanhugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 topmanhugo

MS should just get ride of the core and lower the prices of premium and elite

familyguyvs360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 familyguyvs360
Member since 2007 • 394 Posts
who knows why, but im just sick of hearing crap from Sony fanboys about it (not that im calling you one). Maybe R* are not as skilled at dealing with the issue as Bethesda was with Oblivion
Crystal-Rush
Stop crying about GTA not being done like Oblivion, these are two totaly different games with totaly different things goning on in the game! Since when does Oblivion have lots of Debree, people, cars, explosions, etc... Happening all at once...Oh Wait it doesn't. Just deal with the fact that it's washed down because of the DVD-9 and get on with your lives!!! Go play games or something instead of complaining, this is no ones fault but MS for making you have the CHOICE! Remember! 
familyguyvs360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 familyguyvs360
Member since 2007 • 394 Posts
Crystal-Rush
Stop crying about GTA not being done like Oblivion, these are two totally different games with totally different things going on in the game! Since when does Oblivion have lots of Debree, people, cars, explosions, etc... Happening all at once...Oh Wait it doesn't. Just deal with the fact that it's washed down because of the DVD-9 and get on with your lives!!! Go play games or something instead of complaining, this is no ones fault but MS for making you have the CHOICE! Remember! 
tony_fjellborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tony_fjellborg
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts
Cant we send a machine destinate to kill the core before it was manufactured, kinda like Terminator? That would solve all problems..
alphap90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alphap90
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
so the problen is with the core system because they dont have 20g or the problem is with the DVD discs or the problem is with the hardware
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
I think that all devs should just forget about the stupid core and design a similar game for both consoles, I mean, I heard somewhere that cores numbers werent even big and that the bast majority were premium users, so why even bothering by making a limit in a gme potential due to them? I mean, 50 Mb for DL games and now this? I just feel sorry for the owners of 360s. (not making fun of you guys, I was a previous owner)
CrazyAssJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CrazyAssJack
Member since 2003 • 308 Posts
If you all read what the GTA guy said you will realise that both the 360 and PS3 are creating problems for them, it just so happens that one of the problems for the 360 is the absence of a Hard drive. This will been the 360 version will stream the data off the disc instead of off the Hard drive, however the DVD9 CD Drive for the 360 is much faster than the Bluray drive for the PS3 so this will not be a problem.
mikeneb430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 mikeneb430
Member since 2007 • 1036 Posts
What is all this, haven't heard anything about this, can someone explain to me?
linkinworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 linkinworm
Member since 2005 • 3134 Posts
why do people even buy the core now, for themoney you might aswell save for the preminum
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
Rockstar said they had several issues, While on the PS3 they get 50gigs of disk storage, 100% chance of an HD, on the 360 they get neither of those things. Common, how many times have we seen people warn of this, how many times have people said DVD9 isnt enough. If this is 18months in, makes me wonder if any big franchise will stay round on the 360 at all.
xbox360_4_lyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 xbox360_4_lyf
Member since 2006 • 745 Posts
Yer i see wer you are coming from i say buy a hard drive there crap without but you can try gta with memory unit
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#20 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

Crystal-Rush

Exactly. This clearly proves what I've been saying all along. Which is, Rockstar is waaayyy overrated as a developer, if they can't seem to do what Bioware (Mass Effect) and Bethesda (Oblivion) had no problem doing, ie. making a massive game with good graphics.

monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#21 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

Rockstar said they had several issues, While on the PS3 they get 50gigs of disk storage, 100% chance of an HD, on the 360 they get neither of those things. Common, how many times have we seen people warn of this, how many times have people said DVD9 isnt enough. If this is 18months in, makes me wonder if any big franchise will stay round on the 360 at all.teebeenz

They also said they had several problems with the PS3. Each had their "pleasures and pains" as the man put it. I suggest you crawl back to the PS3 boards teebeenz... 

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts

Rockstar said they had several issues, While on the PS3 they get 50gigs of disk storage, 100% chance of an HD, on the 360 they get neither of those things. Common, how many times have we seen people warn of this, how many times have people said DVD9 isnt enough. If this is 18months in, makes me wonder if any big franchise will stay round on the 360 at all.teebeenz

I have a 120gig driver, Id be damned if Im giving 50gigs of it to any one game.  Ridiculous they would need that much.  It has already been determined that the mechanics of the PS3 makes it harder to develop for but get this, they will overcome much to make money, people have been doing it for thousands of years. 

You seriously think any major developer is going to write off the millions of 360 consoles because a small percentage of them are lacking a hard drive?  Glad you arent running my company...

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 teebeenz
They also said they had several problems with the PS3. Each had their "pleasures and pains" as the man put it.monco59
Oh Im sure they did, netcode issues, getting a few threads working right, but with the PS3 they got 6months to fix, on the 360... they issues cant be fixed.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 teebeenz
They also said they had several problems with the PS3. Each had their "pleasures and pains" as the man put it.monco59
Oh Im sure they did, netcode issues, getting a few threads working right, but with the PS3 they got 6months to fix, on the 360... the issues cant be fixed. Not unless MS wants to redo every single console and do a total recall.
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tkemory

[QUOTE="monco59"]They also said they had several problems with the PS3. Each had their "pleasures and pains" as the man put it.teebeenz
Oh Im sure they did, netcode issues, getting a few threads working right, but with the PS3 they got 6months to fix, on the 360... the issues cant be fixed. Not unless MS wants to redo every single console and do a total recall.

Think! If its that important that they have a HD, they can print "Game requires HD on the side of the box", and guess what a HD can be bought and added to a Core, so the problem can be fixed.  Ever heard of Guitar Hero?  People will by accessories to play a game, this has to be the dumbest argument I have ever read.  Troll elsewhere please...

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tkemory

[QUOTE="monco59"]They also said they had several problems with the PS3. Each had their "pleasures and pains" as the man put it.teebeenz

Think! If its that important that they have a HD, they can print "Game requires HD on the side of the box", and guess what a HD can be bought and added to a Core.  Ever heard of Guitar Hero?  People will by accessories to play a game, this has to be the dumbest argument I have ever read.

Avatar image for peterjamesmorri
peterjamesmorri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 peterjamesmorri
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

im confused - this shouldn't be a problem. the whole point with the GTA series was that the environment is streamed from the disk into memory as required.

were there any load times between areas in san andreas? No

did the ps2 have a hard drive? No

was the xbox version of san andreas superior to the ps2 version due to it having a hard drive? No

The PS3 has 256MB of main RAM, compared to the 360s 512MB. Maybe this is why the PS3 needs to cache data on the hard drive rather streaming directly to RAM.

This whole thing has been blown out of all proportion...

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 teebeenz
Think! If its that important that they have a HD, they can print "Game requires HD on the side of the box", and guess what a HD can be bought and added to a Core, so the problem can be fixedtkemory
Sigh, its not just the HD, its DVD9 which is the major issue. The HD allows them to do highspeed caching and DLC, but its the DVD where the data needs to go, and many are strugling with that. Dont forget Rockstar has a exclusive content deal with MS so they have to make DLC, but if the HD isnt 100% guarenteed then there is the chance the content may have to be smaller than they want.
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tkemory

[QUOTE="tkemory"]Think! If its that important that they have a HD, they can print "Game requires HD on the side of the box", and guess what a HD can be bought and added to a Core, so the problem can be fixedteebeenz
Sigh, its not just the HD, its DVD9 which is the major issue. The HD allows them to do highspeed caching and DLC, but its the DVD where the data needs to go, and many are strugling with that. Dont forget Rockstar has a exclusive content deal with MS so they have to make DLC, but if the HD isnt 100% guarenteed then there is the chance the content may have to be smaller than they want.

You still havent address that this is easily fixable by making the game require the HD, problem solved.  You act like the future is so bleak and can never be fixed.

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tkemory

[QUOTE="tkemory"]Think! If its that important that they have a HD, they can print "Game requires HD on the side of the box", and guess what a HD can be bought and added to a Core, so the problem can be fixedteebeenz

You still havent address that this is easily fixable by making the game require the HD, problem solved.  You act like the future is so bleak and can never be fixed.

They could even sell a version of the game that includes the HD at a reduced cost raising the accessory attachment rate for MS.

topmanhugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 topmanhugo
those are valid points but u also hav to consider that this version of gta will have better graphics and more detail
topmanhugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 topmanhugo

im confused - this shouldn't be a problem. the whole point with the GTA series was that the environment is streamed from the disk into memory as required.

was the xbox version of san andreas superior to the ps2 version due to it having a hard drive? No

The PS3 has 256MB of main RAM, compared to the 360s 512MB. Maybe this is why the PS3 needs to cache data on the hard drive rather streaming directly to RAM.

peterjamesmorri

yes those are valid points but u also ahve to consider this version of gta will ahve more graphics and more detail so it should require more memory

topmanhugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 topmanhugo

peterjamesmorri

yes those are valid points but u also ahve to consider this version of gta will have more graphics and more detail so it should require more memory

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts

I think that all devs should just forget about the stupid core and design a similar game for both consoles, I mean, I heard somewhere that cores numbers werent even big and that the bast majority were premium users, so why even bothering by making a limit in a gme potential due to them? I mean, 50 Mb for DL games and now this? I just feel sorry for the owners of 360s. (not making fun of you guys, I was a previous owner)kenshinhimura16

developers will NEVER develop a game that isn't aimed at everybody on a console.  They will never "leave out" any part of a consoles install base.  Don't blame the developers, blame Microsoft. 

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 eclipsed4utoo

[QUOTE="teebeenz"]Rockstar said they had several issues, While on the PS3 they get 50gigs of disk storage, 100% chance of an HD, on the 360 they get neither of those things. Common, how many times have we seen people warn of this, how many times have people said DVD9 isnt enough. If this is 18months in, makes me wonder if any big franchise will stay round on the 360 at all.monco59

They also said they had several problems with the PS3. Each had their "pleasures and pains" as the man put it. I suggest you crawl back to the PS3 boards teebeenz...

yeah, there are programming problems with the PS3.  it's difficult/different to program for.  programming problems can be worked through, hardware problems cannot. 

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 eclipsed4utoo

[QUOTE="teebeenz"]Rockstar said they had several issues, While on the PS3 they get 50gigs of disk storage, 100% chance of an HD, on the 360 they get neither of those things. Common, how many times have we seen people warn of this, how many times have people said DVD9 isnt enough. If this is 18months in, makes me wonder if any big franchise will stay round on the 360 at all.tkemory

I have a 120gig driver, Id be damned if Im giving 50gigs of it to any one game. Ridiculous they would need that much. It has already been determined that the mechanics of the PS3 makes it harder to develop for but get this, they will overcome much to make money, people have been doing it for thousands of years.

You seriously think any major developer is going to write off the millions of 360 consoles because a small percentage of them are lacking a hard drive? Glad you arent running my company...

you really need to learn the difference between a hard drive and a storage format before posting again. 

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 eclipsed4utoo

[QUOTE="teebeenz"][QUOTE="monco59"]They also said they had several problems with the PS3. Each had their "pleasures and pains" as the man put it.tkemory

Think! If its that important that they have a HD, they can print "Game requires HD on the side of the box", and guess what a HD can be bought and added to a Core, so the problem can be fixed. Ever heard of Guitar Hero? People will by accessories to play a game, this has to be the dumbest argument I have ever read. Troll elsewhere please...

how much is the guitar for Guitar Hero?  how much is a 20GB HDD(or 120GB HDD)?  I rest my case.  I don't know of many people that are going to spend $160+ on one game($60 game, $100 HDD) 

Avatar image for extremepleasure
extremepleasure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 extremepleasure
Member since 2007 • 114 Posts
if the game is really gonna be huge then just the game on multiple DVDs. We all know manufacturers pay next to nothing on DVDs. They would hardly lose profit.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 eclipsed4utoo

peterjamesmorri

the GPU on the PS3 has access to all 512MB of RAM. 

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 teebeenz
if the game is really gonna be huge then just the game on multiple DVDs. We all know manufacturers pay next to nothing on DVDs. They would hardly lose profit. extremepleasure
Im guessing rockstar doesnt want 360 owners to have to swap disks while they're driving down the street.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 eclipsed4utoo

if the game is really gonna be huge then just the game on multiple DVDs. We all know manufacturers pay next to nothing on DVDs. They would hardly lose profit. extremepleasure

that would be a horrible idea for a non-linear game like the GTA series.  Would you want to load a disc everytime you went to a new part of the city, then have to put the old disc back in when you went back?  multiple discs are fine with linear games like GeOW.  they are not a good idea with non-linear, sandbox, free-roaming games. 

solide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 solide
Member since 2003 • 171 Posts

Houser made quite the fuss, saying "Yep" to a one way question.

Houser would've probably say "Yep" aswell when asked if the slow reading speed of the Blu-Ray could cause trouble aswel, the thing here is, that both consoles as confirmed by Houser, have their problems, so both systems have certain limitations, off course the simple matter of the slower Blu-Ray can be solved by caching to the HDD.

Anyhoo, fixing the 360 problem faces a different aspect, R* can do three things really, they can either, Stamp a note on the box  "Requires HDD" which I believe was done with a launch game aswel.

Or they could make the game detect wheter the system uses a Harddrive, and make use of it, whilst Core systems might face some slowdown.

Or they optimise the game for non-hdd owners, and we get a (maybe) downsampled version of GTA IV than they originally planned, let's face it, R*knew damn well before GTA IV that the Core and Premium systems might cause trouble.

Still fact remains, that the PS3 has issues to, so all in all, the only thing they have confirmed is that the game faces limitations, they have NOT confirmed wheter the PS3 is going to be superior over the X360, and what if?

It's still going to be the same game, who cares about somewhat higher res textures?

For all we know the PS3 version is going to have massive probs with performance. 

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 eclipsed4utoo

Or they could make the game detect wheter the system uses a Harddrive, and make use of it, whilst Core systems might face some slowdown.solide

is this functionality available?  as a software developer, sometimes, its hard to write an application to "detect" a piece of hardware.  I would like to know if this functionality is part of their SDK that the game developers use.  If so, then it's an easy fix.  If not, then I guess that wouldn't work. 

solide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 solide
Member since 2003 • 171 Posts

Well I think so, how else do games cache their stuff?

That and it always asks you to select what storage space you use,

That's my theory, yours makes sense aswel, I guess we'll just have to see. 

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tkemory
[QUOTE="tkemory"]

[QUOTE="teebeenz"]Rockstar said they had several issues, While on the PS3 they get 50gigs of disk storage, 100% chance of an HD, on the 360 they get neither of those things. Common, how many times have we seen people warn of this, how many times have people said DVD9 isnt enough. If this is 18months in, makes me wonder if any big franchise will stay round on the 360 at all.eclipsed4utoo

I have a 120gig driver, Id be damned if Im giving 50gigs of it to any one game. Ridiculous they would need that much. It has already been determined that the mechanics of the PS3 makes it harder to develop for but get this, they will overcome much to make money, people have been doing it for thousands of years.

You seriously think any major developer is going to write off the millions of 360 consoles because a small percentage of them are lacking a hard drive? Glad you arent running my company...

you really need to learn the difference between a hard drive and a storage format before posting again. 

I know the difference I write software for a living, nice try at being cute though.

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tkemory

how much is the guitar for Guitar Hero?  how much is a 20GB HDD(or 120GB HDD)?  I rest my case.  I don't know of many people that are going to spend $160+ on one game($60 game, $100 HDD) eclipsed4utoo

If you can read, they would have to lower the cost of the HD attachment to bring it in line with the cost of a game like Guitar Hero.  They co do it with a rebate so they dont have to hard package the two together.  You really are an idiot.

alphap90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 alphap90
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
if i had a hard drive 20g there will be problem with the game in my xbox 360 console?
RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RabbidDawg
[QUOTE="peterjamesmorri"]

eclipsed4utoo

the GPU on the PS3 has access to all 512MB of RAM.

Got there before I did. The 360 has 256Mb of ram for the CPU and for the GPU, its just shareable, to equal 512Mb of RAM, what we know now , at least those of us who can read, is that the PS3's RAM is sharable....cant argue with fanboys though. I have all systems so I get the luxury of picking the best version, which may be the PS3 version.

See 360 fans try to say the PS3 only has a total of 256Mb all together, and thats not the truth, then off course PS3 fanboys gotta defend it....how about we just shoot all the fanboys and we dont have to deal with this crap.

But yea, the PS3 is not the hinderance here, its the 360, and the fanboys will just have to deal with it...Ive excepted it. I figured that the 360 will have the best DLC, and online, but if it performs like ass then it will be the other version for me.Â