Gray HDD; cost-cutting or getting CHEAP?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendokid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nintendokid
Member since 2003 • 909 Posts
Recently traded in my broken 360 with Best Buy PRP. I almost puked upon seeing the new HDD. It's just all gray and the top where it is labeled "HDD" is not even chrome plated anymore. It appears to be just a faux-stainless steel sticker placed on top of plastic. Ok, basically, the whole thing is plastic. Not the good plastic like the shell of the 360. Plastic like they use to make pens and disposable forks. It's not that the looks doesn't match - that is part of it. But quality wise, this thing is very, very light. I can feel the difference in weight and quality. This thing would shatter if I dropped or bumped it. Now, I'm aware of cost-cutting procedures such as using 65nm technology chips and the fact that the console and controllers are just gray plastic instead of being painted silver like the very early models. But to manufacture these cheap HDD and hide it in the Pro bundles, that's just a low blow. The Elite are still getting the nice chrome plating and I believe the HDD sold in store (by itself) are also chrome plated. Here are my personal pictures:   Call me an idiot, but I'll be buying the better HDD soon.
MrSickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MrSickVisionz
Member since 2004 • 798 Posts
I don't see the issue. As long as you don't plan on dropping your console or letting a 3 year old have his way with it, you should be fine. But buy another HDD I guess. More $ for MS helps the 360.
Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
I'm glad I still have my original one. :)
Taylorgc2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Taylorgc2004
Member since 2003 • 2624 Posts
This has been happening for years. Only the launch consoles had the nice hard drive. The controllers are like that too. They used to have the nice metallic finish on the bottom, then they went with the cheap gray plastic. And the separate hard drives are cheap gray too.