Gamestop still sells used games as new?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

luke89330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 luke89330
Member since 2005 • 351 Posts

Hello, I got some store credit and I wish to pre-order a copy of CoD:MW2 at Gamestop, however I recently read articles about Gamestop selling used copies of games as new, is this still true? I really don't want an already opened and used copy of CoD:MW2 on the first day. Thoughts? Facts?

Thanks

xsplitsolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 xsplitsolo
Member since 2007 • 105 Posts
I dont think so. When i get a new game it's always perfectly clean. Used one have a little more scratches and not as shiny surface.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

If you pre-order the game its unlikely you would get a used copy. They would only do that to you if they ran out of new copies, which is a scary thing to think about.

bessy67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 bessy67
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts

How could it possibly be used if you get it the first day?

kingmanbrosky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kingmanbrosky
Member since 2009 • 268 Posts

well its not gonna be used if they sell it the first day LOL, but yessss they do sell used games as new, they say "its not sealed because its the last one, is that ok", and ur at the register and dont wanna look like a cheap ass so u say "ummmm ok" but they are used but in flawless condition, but still pisses me off

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

Hello, I got some store credit and I wish to pre-order a copy of CoD:MW2 at Gamestop, however I recently read articles about Gamestop selling used copies of games as new, is this still true? I really don't want an already opened and used copy of CoD:MW2 on the first day. Thoughts? Facts?

Thanks

luke89330
Even if the item has been opened(ie: plastic removed from the keepcase), if the game has never been sold, it is still new. Being opened does not mean its used. Used means its been sold before. Ever bought a new car that had 0 miles on it? A used car thats never had its engine started before? Don't think so, its still new. People for some odd reason have this major hate for GameStop.
nynthninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 nynthninja
Member since 2003 • 1311 Posts
I can tell you fo a fact if its a pretty hyped up game like COD that there are at least 2 copies that get passed around the store to be taken home and then its sold as the "display" model....dont ever buy the display one it has seen things...so many awful things
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Remember people, they only do it if you let them.

guitarheroF22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 guitarheroF22
Member since 2009 • 244 Posts

how are you going to get a used copy when you will be getting it on its release day?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="luke89330"]

Thanks

dotWithShoes

Even if the item has been opened(ie: plastic removed from the keepcase), if the game has never been sold, it is still new. Being opened does not mean its used. Used means its been sold before. Ever bought a new car that had 0 miles on it? A used car thats never had its engine started before? Don't think so, its still new. People for some odd reason have this major hate for GameStop.

That is completely false

Open means used, that's one of the main ways to check if the game is used "Does it still have it's wrapping?" No? Then it's used

They get the games ahead of time and lend them out to employees to play then have them on site the second the game's launch day comes. Usually when they cannot fill preorders it means either an employee bought the game he was using or he lost or damaged it.

Not only is an opened game considered used but many states and now bringing Gamestop to court over the fact that they'll selling items that are opened as new.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and only buy games from reputable stores

Avatar image for b3yondstupidity
b3yondstupidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 b3yondstupidity
Member since 2007 • 12500 Posts
If you Pre-Order it then how can it be used and also, I doubt it's going to be used out of all days the FIRST day.
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

I would never preorder a game & then pick up one that has been opened. To me once a game seal has been broken it automatically drops to used value.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shawn7324
[QUOTE="luke89330"]

Thanks

dotWithShoes

You have no clue what your talking about. An opened game no matter what will always carry used value, I see you've more than likely have been ripped off on multiple occassions.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

heretrix

But that takes actually standing up for yourself, which based on the various online complaints, shows people rarely do so. :P

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shawn7324

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Lionheart08

But that takes actually standing up for yourself, which based on the various online complaints, shows people rarely do so. :P

What a bunch of sissies, just gonna stand there & let someone rip them off.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Lionheart08

Lol. I know..I stopped shopping there because I got tired of explaining to employees the difference between a new game and something that has been opened. Or more accurately, my complete disinterest in paying full price for anything that has been previously opened by anyone.

If you can't stand up to a gamestop clerk, then you are doing life wrong.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaysonguy

If you Pre-Order it then how can it be used and also, I doubt it's going to be used out of all days the FIRST day.b3yondstupidity

They get the games early and then people who work there are allowed to play the games until the release date

Here's their policy just so no one can obscure the facts.....

"Associates are allowed to check out one item of store merchandise for personal use for up to four days. Merchandise checkout is a privilege, not a right, and may be revoked at any time.

Hardware, accessories, sealed CDs or software programs that must be altered to install may not be checked out. If the on-hand quantity of a product equals one, the item cannot be checked out. Hot titles may also be prohibited from being checked out, regardless of the on-hand quantity in the store.

Associates may only check out items from the store in which they work. Associates are personally responsible for any merchandise they are allowed to check out.

Merchandise must be properly checked out in the Employee Merchandise Check Out Log in the Game Planner.

If the product is returned in unsellable condition, or if anything is missing from the package, or if the product is not returned, the Associate must purchase the product at the current price less Associate discount.

Copying of the software and/or manuals/instructions is illegal and is strictly prohibited. Merchandise that leaves the store without being properly checked out or purchase is considered to be unauthorized removal of Company property and may result in performance coaching up to and including termination of your employment."

There's more too

READ ALL ABOUT IT EVERYONE

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Well I'm glad I no longer shop at Gamestop.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I really don't want an already opened and used copy of CoD:MW2 on the first day. Thoughts?luke89330
How exactly would they be able to sell you a used copy on the first day? Surely it's not that hard to realise that - is it?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 heretrix

Even if the item has been opened(ie: plastic removed from the keepcase), if the game has never been sold, it is still new. Being opened does not mean its used. Used means its been sold before. Ever bought a new car that had 0 miles on it? A used car thats never had its engine started before? Don't think so, its still new. People for some odd reason have this major hate for GameStop. dotWithShoes
Games aren't cars. There is a whole different level of ownership between the two. In fact MANY levels of ownership. If a game package is opened it is used. They specifically tell you this in their return policy. How does it get to be different on the customer side?

If you think that's fair then by all means continue to give them your money. I choose to tell them to go to hell.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lionheart08

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

heretrix

Lol. I know..I stopped shopping there because I got tired of explaining to employees the difference between a new game and something that has been opened. Or more accurately, my complete disinterest in paying full price for anything that has been previously opened by anyone.

If you can't stand up to a gamestop clerk, then you are doing life wrong.

Yeah, Gamestop, more so the employee who worked there that day, ticked me off the other day when I bought my 360. He kept trying to pressure me into buying the store warranty because of RROD when I already knew Microsoft offers a warranty for the first three years. When I told him this, he kept trying to convince me I was wrong and it's only good for year.

So yeah, like you said, as long as you don't let them, you can't be ripped off.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="luke89330"]I really don't want an already opened and used copy of CoD:MW2 on the first day. Thoughts?Avenger1324
How exactly would they be able to sell you a used copy on the first day? Surely it's not that hard to realise that - is it?

They're opened on arrival (before the game's launch date) and lent out to workers to be returned before the release date

nynthninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nynthninja
Member since 2003 • 1311 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"] Even if the item has been opened(ie: plastic removed from the keepcase), if the game has never been sold, it is still new. Being opened does not mean its used. Used means its been sold before. Ever bought a new car that had 0 miles on it? A used car thats never had its engine started before? Don't think so, its still new. People for some odd reason have this major hate for GameStop. dotWithShoes

That is completely false

Open means used, that's one of the main ways to check if the game is used "Does it still have it's wrapping?" No? Then it's used

They get the games ahead of time and lend them out to employees to play then have them on site the second the game's launch day comes. Usually when they cannot fill preorders it means either an employee bought the game he was using or he lost or damaged it.

Not only is an opened game considered used but many states and now bringing Gamestop to court over the fact that they'll selling items that are opened as new.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and only buy games from reputable stores

Shoulda expected you to be the one to spread a few lies about GameStop, the only stores that 'allow' their employees take home copies of games before they are released are stores that are breaking company policy, 90% of games do not arrive in stores until the day of release. Employees are not allowed to purchase games that are preordered by customers until 48 hours after release date, which if you pay attention to a preorder receipt, it clearly states games will be held for 48 hours, after that you're out of luck. :) Everyone should do themselves a favor and not listen to your biased, hate filled posts.

i know for a fact that as an employee i can a) tell you there was a shipping or clerical error and we are sorry but your preorder didnt arrive or we didnt recieve enough. while my friend who didnt preorder got your copy 3 days prior to launch. tens of thousands of people got soul calibur 4 like that cause i was one of them. I also know there are 2 community copies of games in your stores that "abide by the rules" that will be sold as new if its needed cause thats how i used to try new games before i bought them...in less than 48 hours after launch
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

[QUOTE="luke89330"]

Thanks

dotWithShoes

This is exactly why they continue to sell new games which have been opened. Buy what you want but nothing you can say will remove the fact I will not pay full price for something that has been removed from it's original packaging. Also employees are allowed to take games home and if you think they have never taken a game home for a few days and then sold it as new you really are nieve.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts

If you get it the day it comes out, they should give you an unopened, factory sealed copy. For new releases, they tend to have a nice supply of new copies. Also, in regards to employees taking home games: I have personally seen them take home unopened brand-new copies of games. I'm not sure if they sell them as used when they return them or not though.

ghost5891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 ghost5891
Member since 2004 • 1296 Posts

well its not gonna be used if they sell it the first day LOL, but yessss they do sell used games as new, they say "its not sealed because its the last one, is that ok", and ur at the register and dont wanna look like a cheap ass so u say "ummmm ok" but they are used but in flawless condition, but still pisses me off

kingmanbrosky
no it's true. they gut at least 1 new game to put out on the shelf. it's just part of loss prevention. would you want to put hundreds of games worth 60 dollars each on a shelf and possibly have several stolen. plus i can tell you new games go in white sleeves and used in yellow sleeves. just like there price labels.
jtparsons54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jtparsons54
Member since 2006 • 1857 Posts
My most recent dealings with GameStop was when I preordered Prototype. The game came in a day late at the store, but it was still factory sealed.
RockysCatnipCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RockysCatnipCo
Member since 2005 • 3165 Posts

Thanks

luke89330
Someone has to sell the game back on the first day for that to happen...
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="kingmanbrosky"]

ghost5891

no it's true. they gut at least 1 new game to put out on the shelf. it's just part of loss prevention. would you want to put hundreds of games worth 60 dollars each on a shelf and possibly have several stolen. plus i can tell you new games go in white sleeves and used in yellow sleeves. just like there price labels.

Yeah, that whole "we open them so no one steals them" is crap though

Other stores with much larger inventories sell games without having to resort to gutting them when they arrive.

It's just another excuse the stores use so they can get away with their illegal practices

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="luke89330"]

Thanks

RockysCatnipCo

Again, not true

They are opened upon arrival to the stores, BEFORE the release date

Employees have the games at home before the launch date

SnakeEyesX80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SnakeEyesX80
Member since 2009 • 2181 Posts
It's highly unlikely that Gamestop is going to get a used copy of MW2 on the first day, but you never know. I wouldn't worry about it. Though Gamestop does still have this habit from time to time.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

People really don't read through the thread before posting..

Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

If you preorder it at Gamestop you will get a BRAND NEW copy of the game. Don't worry about it and don't listen to these people. The whole thing about Gamestop selling new games as used is stupid. They open at least 1 copy of every game to have a display case out on the floor. If you somehow are unlucky and get the last copy of the game you will get the one that was opened. All you have to do is refuse it... its that simple.

But to clear this up if you reserve the game. You will get one in a sealed case. I understand there are some bad Gamestop stores out there. There are also really good ones.

Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

[QUOTE="RockysCatnipCo"][QUOTE="luke89330"]

Thanks

Jaysonguy

Again, not true

That isn't true. Employee are not allowed to check them out before street date. If you know they are or know someone who has been doing it you should contact the company immediately to get Gamestop fined.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lionheart08

[QUOTE="Avenger1324"][QUOTE="luke89330"]I really don't want an already opened and used copy of CoD:MW2 on the first day. Thoughts?Jaysonguy

They're opened on arrival (before the game's launch date) and lent out to workers to be returned before the release date

Speaking from experience (I went to a Gamestop on the first day of release of Dragon Quest V and Street Fighter IV) they didn't even have the boxes which the games were shipped in open yet.

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="luke89330"]

Thanks

shawn7324

You have no clue what your talking about. An opened game no matter what will always carry used value, I see you've more than likely have been ripped off on multiple occassions.

Its called the Gut Copy. the Boxes on the shelves for new games are the actual game boxes, and the games have been taken out of the box for security they are never played and are in perfect condition and are re-sealed when they are purchased.

I used to work for the company, I told them its not right then, and its still not now. but never the less, they are unplayed copies and you will still recieve full credit if returned.

Yea, it sucks, but does it really matter? Your opening it as soon as you get home anyway, Your buying a game at Gamestop to go and resell it on ebay?, If you were your an idiot. You should be buying those games at other stores that sell new games cheaper. Walmart, Amazon ect.. always sell new games cheaper than Bestbuy or Gamestop.

Hell Amazon.ca half the time sells new releases 10 bucks cheaper if you pre order.

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

[QUOTE="ghost5891"][QUOTE="kingmanbrosky"]

Jaysonguy

Other stores with much larger inventories sell games without having to resort to gutting them when they arrive.

It's just another excuse the stores use so they can get away with their illegal practices

No, more than Half the Gamestops and EB's don't have Barcode Detectors at the Door. Anyone can walk out with a box. I had to chase people down the street plenty of times for Trying to Grab Accessories and run off. Caught them all though, Im glad Im a fast runner.

SnakeEyesX80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SnakeEyesX80
Member since 2009 • 2181 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="ghost5891"] no it's true. they gut at least 1 new game to put out on the shelf. it's just part of loss prevention. would you want to put hundreds of games worth 60 dollars each on a shelf and possibly have several stolen. plus i can tell you new games go in white sleeves and used in yellow sleeves. just like there price labels.Zemus

No, more than Half the Gamestops and EB's don't have Barcode Detectors at the Door. Anyone can walk out with a box. I had to chase people down the street plenty of times for Trying to Grab Accessories and run off. Caught them all though, Im glad Im a fast runner

Why can't Gamestop just get glass cases like Wal-Mart or Target? Seems silly and archaic to still gut games.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dotWithShoes

[QUOTE="RockysCatnipCo"][QUOTE="luke89330"]

Thanks

Jaysonguy

Again, not true

And like I said before, they(we) are not allowed to check games out before their street date. If you know a store that is doing so, they are breaking company policy and publisher policy and can very much get in trouble for it. If a video game product is used once its opened, then Sony approves of this policy for the fact they encourage GameStop(and I'm sure WalMart and other retailers) to open certain older PS3 stock to include the Final Fantasy Movie recently.. of course ya know, I don't know what I'm talking about. Honestly, if you don't approve of it, then don't buy at GameStop, it aint hurting their feelings any.
ALTAIR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ALTAIR360
Member since 2006 • 1408 Posts
[QUOTE="luke89330"]

Thanks

used on the first day ?? lol wut
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 heretrix

Honestly, if you don't approve of it, then don't buy at GameStop, it aint hurting their feelings any.dotWithShoes
I agree 100 percent. There are better places to spend your cash.

4dry4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 4dry4n
Member since 2007 • 1411 Posts

Saying that the seal of a game isn't important doesn't sound right to me. There is no better feeling from buying a new item & ripping the wrap yourself. I was dissapointed when I went to GS once when I bought a DS game the employee told me it was the last copy. I was like what can I say I want the game & they had that sale so I took it anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
deactivated-5f9ba38f308de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
Member since 2005 • 1468 Posts

Saying that the seal of a game isn't important doesn't sound right to me. There is no better feeling from buying a new item & ripping the wrap yourself. I was dissapointed when I went to GS once when I bought a DS game the employee told me it was the last copy. I was like what can I say I want the game & they had that sale so I took it anyway.

4dry4n

oh boo hoo. you can't rip off the plastic and thrrow it away. Who really cares...it plays perfectly fine, nothing is wrong iwth the disk. It's totally irrational to not want to buy a game and go out of your way JUST to have a plastic wrap around your case that you're going to throw away...Do you honestly stare at the box more than you play the game? If not, then why do you care if there's no plastic? I understand if they sell you a used copy without the original box or something, but a piece of trash? It really is unimportant.

About gamestop selling used games as new is that they open the new games and put the box up for display then they keep the disk somewhere else so it doens't get stolen. I have heard of employees borrowing new games and when they're odne they still sell it as new. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me..no problems with the disk, who cares.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

I'd never buy a new game unless it was still in it's plastic wrapping (and in the the 360's case, had the security sticker still attached.)

In fact, I don't even consider a game new otherwise.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jaysonguy

I'd never buy a new game unless it was still in it's plastic wrapping (and in the the 360's case, had the security sticker still attached.)

In fact, I don't even consider a game new otherwise.

FamiBox

You are a very good person for that

I have a grave fear for individuals who are happy to get less

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

yeah i never liked that they try it all the time i still shop there but i never let them sell me something brand new that isnt wrapped in plastic if thats the last one left i just go to another store. I dont blame them the store at my local mall did have alot of theft problems with people stealing the games out of the cases this was a really long time ago . Even when they started putting them in those hard plastic cases with the lock like best buy does now people would still steal them.

All i can say is dont buy that copy its not a big deal someone will but it dosent have to be you and its a good business move you shouldnt boycott gamestop just because of that. Just say no they will gladly get a sealed one if they have it sometimes the floor copy is the only one left though.

DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts

This is true. I've talked to Gamestop employees, it really happens. If the game is wrapped in plastic though, then that's safe. Pre-ordering things should be fine, as they have to be plastic sealed.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dotWithShoes

This is true. I've talked to Gamestop employees, it really happens. If the game is wrapped in plastic though, then that's safe. Pre-ordering things should be fine, as they have to be plastic sealed.

DevilBorg
THey don't have to be.Preordering doesn't assure you of them always having acopy in stock, just a copy in stock for 48 hours.
jirca87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jirca87
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

There's a reason why I've never bought a single game from GameStop that was labeled new. Some stores around here I think are pretty good. Then then there are a couple that I'd bea lot more skeptical of. Either way, I haven't seen a game yet that's interested me where the preorder bonus items were worth getting it at GS as opposed to another place where I could earn points or get money off.