Games On Demand For Xbox 360 Fail or Succes

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HydraRizlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 HydraRizlim
Member since 2009 • 1110 Posts

Also give reasons please :)

I think It'll be a succes because now we don't need to go to stores who don't have the game you want to buy anymore, and now it's just: browse,select,buy,Download,done

WEINER-GOBLIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WEINER-GOBLIN
Member since 2009 • 154 Posts
I don't know. It could be an uber epic fail if the games take up too much space on the hard drive. Or it could be an UИsтфPдBlE win, because of the convenience.
pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts
[QUOTE="HydraRizlim"]

I think It'll be a succes because now we don't need to go to stores who don't have the game you want to buy anymore, and now it's just: browse,select,buy,Download,done

I will never buy a game like this. I like having it in my hands, the cover, the manul, the disk. I feel more secure this way and hate the idea of how they want to sell everything via download
ghost5891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 ghost5891
Member since 2004 • 1296 Posts
they're priced to high. i got the update preview and they got oblivion, bioshock and call of duty 2 priced at 30 bucks. i could get them all for 20 dollars each at the store and get a hard copy. what a rip off
drunkenyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 drunkenyak
Member since 2008 • 165 Posts

I think it'll be good for people who don't live near a game store and don't want to have to wait for their games in the mail. For me personaly I prefer to get my games at gameshops. I usualy check the bargain bins and pretty much the only time i'll buy a game brand new is if I really want it.

NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 NintendoGamer3
Member since 2008 • 2848 Posts
Fail. I like having a disk, (XDD....sounds..wrong) and a case...For mah disk ;D
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

they're priced to high. i got the update preview and they got oblivion, bioshock and call of duty 2 priced at 30 bucks. i could get them all for 20 dollars each at the store and get a hard copy. what a rip offghost5891

Where can you find Bioshock or COD2 for 20 bucks?

WEINER-GOBLIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WEINER-GOBLIN
Member since 2009 • 154 Posts

[QUOTE="ghost5891"]they're priced to high. i got the update preview and they got oblivion, bioshock and call of duty 2 priced at 30 bucks. i could get them all for 20 dollars each at the store and get a hard copy. what a rip offJaysonguy

Any Gamestop....And there is a Oblivion/Bioshock combo for 30 dollars. Great deal.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="ghost5891"]they're priced to high. i got the update preview and they got oblivion, bioshock and call of duty 2 priced at 30 bucks. i could get them all for 20 dollars each at the store and get a hard copy. what a rip offWEINER-GOBLIN

Any Gamestop....And there is a Oblivion/Bioshock combo for 30 dollars. Great deal.

Yeah used, I never touch that

That's one of the great thing about GOD (Games On Demand) it's going to help kill the used game industry

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Fail. Who would pay more for a digital copy? Most of these games can be found for $5-$10 cheaper at retail.

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
they're priced to high. i got the update preview and they got oblivion, bioshock and call of duty 2 priced at 30 bucks. i could get them all for 20 dollars each at the store and get a hard copy. what a rip offghost5891
I know I saw the GoD yesterday and they are expensive! I mean Mass Effect is selling for like $30 there and I could get a used copy for like $15 from the store
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="ghost5891"]they're priced to high. i got the update preview and they got oblivion, bioshock and call of duty 2 priced at 30 bucks. i could get them all for 20 dollars each at the store and get a hard copy. what a rip off93soccer
I know I saw the GoD yesterday and they are expensive! I mean Mass Effect is selling for like $30 there and I could get a used copy for like $15 from the store

It's selling for 20 and why are you bringing up used?

These are to be compared against new games at retail

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

A few reasons I won't be getting them

1. Price - MS has been very poor with changing the price of content on Live once it is available. XBLA games almost never change in price despite being available for over 2 years, and the same goes for DLC. Very rarely does the price of something come down and stay down on Live. Compare this to buying the game in a store where prices are competitive with other stores and keep coming down.
  2. Tied to your account - lose your gamertag, lose your games - no thanks
  3. No resale/refund - don't like it = tough. Want to sell it because you are finished with it = tough. Just like MS points, once you've bought it there is nothing you can do with it besides play it.
  4. Harddrive space - I've only got a 20GB HDD, which currently only has room to install one game from disc at a time. While I could redownload an On Demand game whenever I wanted, I don't have uber fast broadband to make a 5+GB download practical. A bigger harddrive would be a solution, but they are very expensive for the capacity - a 120GB harddrive is close to the cost of an Arcade 360.

I'm happy to stick with buying discs

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Avenger1324

[QUOTE="93soccer"][QUOTE="ghost5891"]they're priced to high. i got the update preview and they got oblivion, bioshock and call of duty 2 priced at 30 bucks. i could get them all for 20 dollars each at the store and get a hard copy. what a rip offJaysonguy

As far as I'm concerned I will compare the On Demand price with the best price I can find the game elsewhere, whether that is for a new copy or for a used one doesn't matter. So long as the disc is in good condition there will be no difference to the content.

The problem is the prices on the high street / online shops are constantly changing, but Xbox Live rarely changes the price of content. So unless Live is going to constantly monitor the prices of On Demand games compared to other shops it isn't going to deliver the best value.

I feel that the cost of digitally distributed games should be less than their retail versions, since you are getting less - no disc, no box, no manual, no additional items like map, audio CD, figurine etc. that come in some retail editions. The price charged will be the same but you are getting less.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="93soccer"] I know I saw the GoD yesterday and they are expensive! I mean Mass Effect is selling for like $30 there and I could get a used copy for like $15 from the storeAvenger1324

As far as I'm concerned I will compare the On Demand price with the best price I can find the game elsewhere, whether that is for a new copy or for a used one doesn't matter. So long as the disc is in good condition there will be no difference to the content.

The problem is the prices on the high street / online shops are constantly changing, but Xbox Live rarely changes the price of content. So unless Live is going to constantly monitor the prices of On Demand games compared to other shops it isn't going to deliver the best value.

I feel that the cost of digitally distributed games should be less than their retail versions, since you are getting less - no disc, no box, no manual, no additional items like map, audio CD, figurine etc. that come in some retail editions. The price charged will be the same but you are getting less.

Less?

Do this

Go to a friend's house and try to play a game you own but they don't

All you have to do is log onto your Live account and download whatever game you want to play

Can you do that with "regular" games?

DavidRswii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 DavidRswii
Member since 2007 • 1210 Posts
[QUOTE="pete_merlin"][QUOTE="HydraRizlim"]

I will never buy a game like this. I like having it in my hands, the cover, the manul, the disk. I feel more secure this way and hate the idea of how they want to sell everything via download

I feel the same way they want everything in downloads this day a big example is movies i enjoy haveing the movie so i can watch it anytime some people will like it and other people mite not
Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#17 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts

I think the prices are a bit high -- if it's digital, saving the need to burn a disc, print a manual, manufacture a box, it should be cheaper. I can get Mass Effect at Gamestop used for $15.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Avenger1324

[QUOTE="Avenger1324"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Less?

Do this

All you have to do is log onto your Live account and download whatever game you want to play

I could take my retail bought disc with me and start playing right away, whether the console is connected to Live or not.

Or I could login to Live and spend the next few hourswaiting for it download. At my current download speed a 5GB download would take well over 2 hours, and that's assuming these games are only 5GB - install from disc currently takes up to 6.8GB

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
Well for me it's a fail. I'll never buy a game on there because I can't resell it. When I'm done with games, I resell them and this prevents me from doing so.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

Honestly, it isn't like it can hurt.

johnny41252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 johnny41252
Member since 2003 • 928 Posts

I think most 360s will eventually burn up (rrod) trying to download that much content. Takes me forever to d-load a demo...

jerrygamer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jerrygamer2
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts

Fail because of the fact you can buy any one of those $30 games in any store for $20. Oblivion is an espically bad deal because it's not the GOTY edition.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Avenger1324"]

Avenger1324

Less?

Do this

I could take my retail bought disc with me and start playing right away, whether the console is connected to Live or not.

Or I could login to Live and spend the next few hourswaiting for it download. At my current download speed a 5GB download would take well over 2 hours, and that's assuming these games are only 5GB - install from disc currently takes up to 6.8GB

You carry your games and your manuals wherever you go?

If you have a slow connection and people you know have slow connections that's more of the problem being at your end. Same goes for space

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Avenger1324

[QUOTE="Avenger1324"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]Less?

Do this

Jaysonguy

You carry your games and your manuals wherever you go?

If you have a slow connection and people you know have slow connections that's more of the problem being at your end. Same goes for space

doesn't matter who's problem it is, it still means downloading a large game is impractical in a short space of time. 1-200mb XBLA game is not a problem. Many GBs is a problem. For personal use it is fine - I can just leave it downloading over night, but when one of the "benefits" of digital downloads is said to be convenience it isn't the case for everyone. Sounds daft - but it's quicker to drive into town, buy the game and drive back, than it is to download it.

If you want to show a friend a game at their house - plan ahead, and take it with you when you go - or invite them to your place. Not really a deal breaker

The other part of digital downloads being less - it costs them less to produce, since they don't have the additional costs of manufacturing the disc, box, manual and other bits, and yet none of this cost saving gets passed onto the customer.

fear9204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fear9204
Member since 2009 • 641 Posts

well at first you need a monster hard drive, second you cant resell it, and the price is gonna be almost at retail

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Doomtime
Why is COD 2 priced at $29.99? http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59878 I'll stick to buying my games on ebay and amazon.
ghost5891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 ghost5891
Member since 2004 • 1296 Posts

[QUOTE="ghost5891"]they're priced to high. i got the update preview and they got oblivion, bioshock and call of duty 2 priced at 30 bucks. i could get them all for 20 dollars each at the store and get a hard copy. what a rip offJaysonguy

gamestop and walmart both sell all three of those new for 20 each in my location. plus 2k just game out with the bioshock/oblivion bundle with is only 40 dollars which makes them 20 each basically. go on walmart's website or even bestbuy. those aren't used prices they're NEW

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74866 sorry i don't know how to hot link

thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts

Go to GameStop; Bioshock is $17 used and CoD 2 is $10 used.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="Doomtime"]Why is COD 2 priced at $29.99? http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59878 I'll stick to buying my games on ebay and amazon.

Seeing how it's a launch 360 title, that doesn't make sense!
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Doomtime
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="Doomtime"]Why is COD 2 priced at $29.99? http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59878 I'll stick to buying my games on ebay and amazon.

No it really doesn't. I picked it up for under $10 at Gamestop months ago.
Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
Good concept, but the prices suck.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="Doomtime"][QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="Doomtime"]Why is COD 2 priced at $29.99? http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59878 I'll stick to buying my games on ebay and amazon.

Really, wow, Games on Demand sure overpriced some of these games.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Doomtime"][QUOTE="mitu123"] Seeing how it's a launch 360 title, that doesn't make sense!mitu123

He bought a used copy

Did you miss that?

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

well nothing bad can come from this and its really cool that they are doing it just that the prices are horrid they are selling stuff for 20 and 30 that you can find in a store for 20 and under. As much as the prices suk though with the internet being what it is MS stands to make a ton of money of of this. For me its not really a good option unless they have a rare game that i cant find in stores.

OneBadLT123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 OneBadLT123
Member since 2005 • 1152 Posts

HydraRizlim
Agreed, my thoughts exactly.
Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

In Australia the Games on Demand pricing is as follows:Mass Effect $99.95;Oblivion,BioShock & COD2 $49.95;Viva Pinata $29.95.I know this because I have the preview update.So I say Epic Fail considering Mass Effect is only $20 in the US.:shock:

themtgdude486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 themtgdude486
Member since 2004 • 52 Posts

well its going to be epic when you hear about a good game on live and download from your couch and should cheaper beacuse of no manuel or cover

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
I buy games via digital download anytime I can.. I will definitely using games on demand extensively.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

also i have to say it depends on whats going to be available i mean as it stands they are only releasing old stuff if new games were made available for download day one over xbox live then that would be epic but that would cause problems for one it would cut out the middle man. Also im sure MS is taking a a nice cut of the action.

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Doomtime

[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="Doomtime"] No it really doesn't. I picked it up for under $10 at Gamestop months ago. Jaysonguy

He bought a used copy

Did you miss that?

Even so you can get a new copy for $14.99 on NewEgg. Free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874105449&nm_mc=OTC-Channel&cm_mmc=OTC-channel-_-Xbox+360+Video+Games-_-Activision-_-74105449
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jaysonguy

In Australia the Games on Demand pricing is as follows:Mass Effect $99.95;Oblivion,BioShock & COD2 $49.95;Viva Pinata $29.95.I know this because I have the preview update.So I say Epic Fail considering Mass Effect is only $20 in the US.:shock:

Serial_Killa

Please tell me you know that things are priced differently in different countries

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Doomtime

Serial_Killa
Good lord.
Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Serial_Killa"]

Jaysonguy

Please tell me you know that things are priced differently in different countries

Are you serious.It would not matter where on Earth you lived,there is no way there should be an $80.00 difference.With the current exchange rate $20.00 US equals $23.90229 AUD.Please tell me you know that is a total joke.I would say that is blatant "We will rip you off" priced differently.

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts

I agree, they are priced too high, and I can get a new copy of Bioshock from Wal-Mart for $20. I think it will fail.
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
I think it will be a failure and will make companys think twice about the future about the sales of video games... because not only is it only stored on something which is possible to lose it, but it will also take up space which people don't want. Not only that, but I love to own and collect my games and I love having the case, manual, disk etc. with the rest of my collection... makes it more fun to have a collection.
gdogghenrikson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 gdogghenrikson
Member since 2005 • 3028 Posts

it coulndt hurt

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#49 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
[QUOTE="pete_merlin"][QUOTE="HydraRizlim"]

agreed. but if it's uber cheap, I'll go for it. although the HDD space is a major concern of mine.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#50 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I think it will be a failure and will make companys think twice about the future about the sales of video games... because not only is it only stored on something which is possible to lose it, but it will also take up space which people don't want. Not only that, but I love to own and collect my games and I love having the case, manual, disk etc. with the rest of my collection... makes it more fun to have a collection.Ashley_wwe
this guy has a point.