Does Halo 3's graphics look litlle dated for X360?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kart006k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kart006k
Member since 2004 • 124 Posts

Okay, I know that lot of you are going to hate me for asking this question. I am also a big fan of Halo, but this new game looks less polished (yea I know they are still working on it).

But when I saw the latest video documentry on the Beta testing, I was not impressed with the graphics. I think that the shield bomb, and the sucide mine looks cool and the characters looks little shinny and all that, but the visuals aren't that mind blowing.

They should be like Gears of War or Oblivion.

What do you think:question:

Jelle87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jelle87
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts
You do realise they are probably perfecting gameplay mechanics first and then go after finetuning eyecandy right? It's got alpha painted on its forehead like a spartan has blood on it's sword.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e70b0aa098a
deactivated-57e70b0aa098a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57e70b0aa098a
Member since 2004 • 85 Posts

I would be satisfied even if the current iteration of the graphics shipped in the final product.

A. I think it already looks good.

B. It's about the gameplay, people! 

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
I am sure they are doing what the Froza team did: gameplay first graphics last.
Muhannad_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Muhannad_basic
Member since 2002 • 3687 Posts
why do people keep making the same stupid topics, Bungie has said it a million times neither the videos or the Beta will reflect what the final game will look like, everything you see now is alpha build, get over it :x
skimad432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skimad432
Member since 2002 • 205 Posts

"You do realise they are probably perfecting gameplay mechanics first and then go after finetuning eyecandy right? It's got alpha painted on its forehead like a spartan has blood on it's sword."

Name me one game that was on a similar development time table as H3 that has significantly improved the graphics (and i'm talking a big difference like the original poster implied).  I think we should accept what we're seeing.  They'll probably be a little bit more detailed, with maybe some more fancy effects) just like what is seen to some extent with EVERY game previous at a point in time relative to where H3 is.  That being said ...be sure to watch the vid in HD and remember what its like to actually have a game running on your (hd)tv right in front of your eyes.  It's gonna look even better than the best videos we'll see on the internet, it always does.  It'll deliver dont let your expectations ruin it for ya.  Besides ..a week into the game we're not gonna be thinking graphics while in the middle of an intense slayer game.  Do u watch for bump mapping and shiny reflections as your in the middle of digitized mayhem? i dont

Jelle87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jelle87
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

"You do realise they are probably perfecting gameplay mechanics first and then go after finetuning eyecandy right? It's got alpha painted on its forehead like a spartan has blood on it's sword."

Name me one game that was on a similar development time table as H3 that has significantly improved the graphics (and i'm talking a big difference like the original poster implied). I think we should accept what we're seeing. They'll probably be a little bit more detailed, with maybe some more fancy effects) just like what is seen to some extent with EVERY game previous at a point in time relative to where H3 is. That being said ...be sure to watch the vid in HD and remember what its like to actually have a game running on your (hd)tv right in front of your eyes. It's gonna look even better than the best videos we'll see on the internet, it always does. It'll deliver dont let your expectations ruin it for ya. Besides ..a week into the game we're not gonna be thinking graphics while in the middle of an intense slayer game. Do u watch for bump mapping and shiny reflections as your in the middle of digitized mayhem? i dont

skimad432

Significantly improving is not finetuning, that's adding some more fancy effects like you said. To have a game running smooth I think they need a version of pretty much what it's going to demand of the hardware in the final version. 

FPSunionOWNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FPSunionOWNS
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts

Okay, I know that lot of you are going to hate me for asking this question. I am also a big fan of Halo, but this new game looks less polished (yea I know they are still working on it).

But when I saw the latest video documentry on the Beta testing, I was not impressed with the graphics. I think that the shield bomb, and the sucide mine looks cool and the characters looks little shinny and all that, but the visuals aren't that mind blowing.

kart006k
yeah they actually do.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11998 Posts
First off, it was the alpha version you saw in the video.  That is not how it will look when we get it.  There is still a beta version that we will be playing in may.  Secondly, I thought the graphics looked pretty good and I bet they'll look great on HDTV.
-hypnotixx-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -hypnotixx-
Member since 2007 • 231 Posts
no the graphics look good
KFrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 KFrog
Member since 2003 • 627 Posts
I just don't see Halo 3 graphics looking 'better' than Gears of War or Oblivion...  or even better than GRAW2 or Rainbow Six Vegas for that matter. The game is just so different. The interesting thing to try to compare will be the look of the human characters and graphical details in the buildings/structures.
LobaFett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LobaFett
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts
the graphics for h3 are not what they will be, this in fact is just getting the gameplay down and then giving the graphics push it needs, who cares if it looks great and plays like crap, make it work then paint it!
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
For all the people who are saying it looks good................I dont know what to say, maybe for an Xbox 1 game yeah, right now it looks the same as Halo 2, but when it is shipped they should have all the eye candy fixed and working.
Avatar image for Goldeneyemaster
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Goldeneyemaster
Member since 2003 • 6906 Posts

HALO 3 IS STILL IN ALPHA

sens_rocks_40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sens_rocks_40
Member since 2004 • 1135 Posts
i know u said not to say this, but i have to. the game is still in development. the graphics will improve. but i'd rather they focus more on gameplay right now
primehunter326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 primehunter326
Member since 2005 • 1268 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the graphics we saw in the video are what we're going to see in the beta, though I expect the final product will look much better.
CaUs3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CaUs3
Member since 2006 • 2903 Posts

I am sure they are doing what the Froza team did: gameplay first graphics last.limpbizkit818

yup

Maui00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Maui00
Member since 2004 • 8747 Posts

But when I saw the latest video documentry on the Beta testing, I was not impressed with the graphics.

kart006k

you got that wrong buddy. The recent ViDoc was Alpha Testing and Bungie did that video months ago. The visuals you saw in the ViDoc are quite early and if you're lucky to play the beta, you'll see that the graphics will be much, much better.

kart006k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kart006k

yea I know that its about gameplay, but when you pay $ 430.00 for a system and $65.00 for a game and you get an expansion kind of quality, than there is something wrong.

See, Halo has the best online gameplay of all time, but this is not MADDEN, where people will buy it every year for same Crap. YOu need something new.

Avatar image for dragonslayerssj
dragonslayerssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dragonslayerssj
Member since 2003 • 1974 Posts

yea I know that its about gameplay, but when you pay $ 430.00 for a system and $65.00 for a game and you get an expansion kind of quality, than there is something wrong.

See, Halo has the best online gameplay of all time, but this is not MADDEN, where people will buy it every year for same Crap. YOu need something new.

kart006k

well the way i look at it atleast im not paying 600 for a 8800GTX and another 2000 for a quad core processor and then probably another 500 for a mobo that will run that... so the way i look at it the 360s graphics are amazing for 430 bucks... thats why i cant complain. secondly why do graphics matter so much anyway( im talking to anyone in general not just the quotee)? i mean we have all, or almost everyone, has played a N64 or super nintendo or Sega... those graphics are nothing like hey are now and yet the games were still fun and probably better gameplay wise than most of these next gen games. people focus so much on how it looks rather than how it plays which to me is what matters. yea the game may look amazing but will i want to play it if its to hard to play, or doesnt make any sense at all? well for your 65 bucks you can say "hey this games graphics pwnz!!! but i dont play it much because it doesnt really have any gameplay to it..." point being; 1, be happy the 360 is only 400 or 480 (elite), and 2, gameplay is greater than graphics.

kart006k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kart006k
[QUOTE="kart006k"]

dragonslayerssj

well the way i look at it atleast im not paying 600 for a 8800GTX and another 2000 for a quad core processor and then probably another 500 for a mobo that will run that... so the way i look at it the 360s graphics are amazing for 430 bucks... thats why i cant complain. secondly why do graphics matter so much anyway( im talking to anyone in general not just the quotee)? i mean we have all, or almost everyone, has played a N64 or super nintendo or Sega... those graphics are nothing like hey are now and yet the games were still fun and probably better gameplay wise than most of these next gen games. people focus so much on how it looks rather than how it plays which to me is what matters. yea the game may look amazing but will i want to play it if its to hard to play, or doesnt make any sense at all? well for your 65 bucks you can say "hey this games graphics pwnz!!! but i dont play it much because it doesnt really have any gameplay to it..." point being; 1, be happy the 360 is only 400 or 480 (elite), and 2, gameplay is greater than graphics.

[QUOTE="kart006k"]

dragonslayerssj

Re read what I said, I am not telling you to buy a new computer.

zikeria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zikeria
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

I would be satisfied even if the current iteration of the graphics shipped in the final product.

footballfan1322

NO, actually that is YOUR OPINION!!! 

Ondracekl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ondracekl
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]For all the people who are saying it looks good................I dont know what to say, maybe for an Xbox 1 game yeah, right now it looks the same as Halo 2....QUOTE]

hahahaha!! that is just hilarious!!! u take a screen shot of that vidoc and a screen shot of halo 2 and u will see that it has improved INCREDIBLY!!!

i don't care if halo 3 doesn't look like gears. it has a different style but even so, look at the lighting in the beta and u will be blown away. if there is anything i've picked up from this alpha is that the lighting effects r amazing! already on par if not better than gears. it will look amazing when it ships

Avatar image for honey_dipin_dan
honey_dipin_dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 honey_dipin_dan
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

kart006k

Oh, so that is what someone would say after not reading any of the replies. 

twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
Thats nice. The graphics are fine as they are.
spchamp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spchamp1
Member since 2006 • 1152 Posts
I just don't see Halo 3 graphics looking 'better' than Gears of War or Oblivion...  or even better than GRAW2 or Rainbow Six Vegas for that matter. The game is just so different. The interesting thing to try to compare will be the look of the human characters and graphical details in the buildings/structures.KFrog
Halo looked amazing for the XBOX when it first came out as an original launch titile. Halo 2 came out and pushed the limits on what the XBOX could do. I cannot imagine that Bungie would drop the ball on their first app for the 360. Halo 3 will no doubt look amazing. It is hard to compare it to Gears when Gears was truly one of the first games to push the limit visually (up to this point, at least). IMHO, I think that Halo 3 will look as good, if not better by the time it launches.
Mr_Iguanaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mr_Iguanaman
Member since 2006 • 229 Posts

I'm not interested in graphics for two reasons:

1. The game's obviously going to be awesome, regardless of the graphics
  2. It's HALO 3 MAN!!!!!
greg_splicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 greg_splicer
Member since 2007 • 2053 Posts

kart006k

Well, those graphics are not the final game's graphics. At all. They are not even next gen graphics, just placeholders so they can have a steady frame rate for the demo and alpha version shown

Can we stop that "Halo 3 has bad graphics" at last ?

Super-Skunk420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Super-Skunk420
Member since 2007 • 235 Posts
What you saw in the vidoc was alpha footage. Bungie has said this,  I don't know how many times. The graphics should look a lot nicer in the beta release next month. And when the final product is released it should look alot more polished than the Beta version. So the game still has two overhauls in the graphics department, and you are disapointed with an unreleased game? Find something to do with your time.
Sleepy_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sleepy_Warrior
Member since 2004 • 683 Posts

The graphics looked great. You must remember most of the footage was showing the game from a third person perspective.

Halo has never looked good unless you are viewing it through first person and to me the couple of seconds that were shown from that view looked amazing. 

PhantomNemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 PhantomNemesis
Member since 2004 • 265 Posts

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ISZn-Qd4DAM

Is that dated to you? All gameplay, all running on the engine, that's probably Alpha footage too with a little colour added on for the video, what's dated about that? It'll only look better in May and in retail. 

elmafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 elmafia
Member since 2003 • 1490 Posts

Well, maybe you should watch Shrek documentary.

Video game and animation industry has certain simularities. There is the pure animation side, rendering side, material side, and other stuff only for graphics. Since the graphics is pre-alpha, that means the graphics is very early stage, and only used for gameplay testing. There is another team working on other stuff, like the more detailed 3D model, textures, and special effects like fur.

What you see is purly only the layout of the map. No detail to the 3D model and textures. But yeah, you can be right. Halo3 may end up with last gen graphics with some upgrades only. Who knows? Nothing has been released shows the real graphics. Besides the very first trailer is done in real time engine, everything else is either pre-render or pre-alpha.

magicalclick

i hope the graphics will look like the first trailer cause that was simply amazing. because like u said it was done in real time so it could happen

samsam1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 samsam1704
Member since 2004 • 466 Posts
I still thought the graphics were really good....
therapyhiccup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 therapyhiccup
Member since 2005 • 1800 Posts
as if they would use dated graphics for a game which is so huge
MoodyFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 MoodyFlame
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts

You do realise they are probably perfecting gameplay mechanics first and then go after finetuning eyecandy right? It's got alpha painted on its forehead like a spartan has blood on it's sword.Jelle87

Yes, that would be the best explanation...otherwise, the beta wouldnt be so cool if the online and gameplay werent so good, sadly though I can play it cuz I have a canadain account :cry: 

Avatar image for dragonslayerssj
dragonslayerssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dragonslayerssj
Member since 2003 • 1974 Posts
[QUOTE="dragonslayerssj"][QUOTE="kart006k"]

kart006k

[QUOTE="kart006k"]

dragonslayerssj

Re read what I said, I am not telling you to buy a new computer.

your right you didnt say to buy a new computer but for stating that you think the graphics should be better for what you paid i was simply giving an example of what you could pay for good graphics. This way you could see that the 360s graphics are looking pretty good for the price since that was what you didnt like. remember "but when you pay $ 430.00 for a system and $65.00 for a game and you get an expansion kind of quality, than there is something wrong."

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Yeah gameplay is important, but you dont pay for a system like 360 with such power for the gameplay, you get it for the graphical power, if Halo doesnt have extremely good graphics then it will be a bit of a let down. This is a machine with 3 strong cores and an excellent GPU, we should expect more games to look like Gears.
ackr1TE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ackr1TE
Member since 2007 • 636 Posts

I belive Counter-Strike is a strong testament to the saying "It's gamplay that matters" Sure graphics are nice too have also but if the gameplay is superb it is easy to overlook everything else.

Im not downplaying Halo 3's graphics i think those videos your seeing from documentrys DO NOT represent the final product or beta for that matter as it was stated in the begging of the video.

Even Pre-Alpha though i saw some pretty neat effects and some great geometry  and im sure it will only get better come later 2007 and i have No doubt bungie is going to nail the gameplay.

danusmc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 danusmc
Member since 2004 • 731 Posts
I thought the graphics looked awesome. Did you watch it on your 360, or PC? Also, do you remember that like first video of Gears? Marcus looked like ps2 graphics! Just wait, its the beta
InjuredNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 InjuredNoodle
Member since 2006 • 1077 Posts
I'm pretty sure the graphics in the final game will be amazing, just wait.
GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GameArtGuy
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

Okay, I know that lot of you are going to hate me for asking this question. I am also a big fan of Halo, but this new game looks less polished (yea I know they are still working on it).

kart006k

Bungie does games the way...well...most good games are created.  They implement all gameplay affecting elements, the stuff that actually makes the game behind all the pretty-ness.  At the moment, they are not even at Beta yet (Alpha, Beta, Gold, Release).  Alpha is not the point where you add all the shaders, the awesome water effects, the HDR lighting, ambient occulsion, or anything like that... most of the time, that isnt even implemented at the start of Beta.  What you saw in the ViDoc #2 is labeled "Alpha" at the bottom of the screen (its kinda hard to see).

That is NOT what you will be playing on May 16th...

Frankie, the guy that does the weekly community updates also stated that all that footage is old, some of it is more polished than others, and some of it doesnt even have the lighting yet.  So, yes the video looks slightly less than spectacular, but in my opinion it looks next gen in Alpha... itll look beyond next gen at release. 

--MAV3R1CK--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43 --MAV3R1CK--
Member since 2006 • 9346 Posts

kart006k

well, if you listened carefully, the whole vidoc was in the ALPHA STAGE, as reminded by Bungie on their official website. So, everything there was in the allpha stage and in the Beta coming up, it will look better. Read the BUNGIE WEEKLY UPDATE for more info on that because they answer a lot of questions on that....

mikeneb430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mikeneb430
Member since 2007 • 1036 Posts

footballfan1322

amen 

Avatar image for ClandestineZero
ClandestineZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ClandestineZero
Member since 2004 • 2477 Posts
Frankie mentioned in the latest bnet update that the vidoc was shot months ago....  He also implied that there were drastic improvements since then.  I wouldn't worry about it.
Regardless of how it looks though, the game will be sweet.  I'm already liking the equipment idea.  I wonder what else they've got up their sleeve besides the bubble shield and the trip mine...
Avatar image for killingtimenow1
killingtimenow1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 killingtimenow1
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts

"You do realise they are probably gameplay mechanics first and then go after finetuning eyecandy right? It's got alpha painted on its forehead like a spartan has blood on it's sword."

Name me one game that was on a similar development time table as H3 that has significantly improved the graphics (and i'm talking a big difference like the original poster implied).  I think we should accept what we're seeing.  They'll probably be a little bit more detailed, with maybe some more fancy effects) just like what is seen to some extent with EVERY game previous at a point in time relative to where H3 is.  That being said ...be sure to watch the vid in HD and remember what its like to actually have a game running on your (hd)tv right in front of your eyes.  It's gonna look even better than the best videos we'll see on the internet, it always does.  It'll deliver dont let your expectations ruin it for ya.  Besides ..a week into the game we're not gonna be thinking graphics while in the middle of an intense slayer game.  Do u watch for bump mapping and shiny reflections as your in the middle of digitized mayhem? i dont

skimad432

Banjo kazooie 3 is the same?

jus2nyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 jus2nyce
Member since 2005 • 1574 Posts
It does seem so. The polish on Chief's armour doesn't look as nice as Fenix's GoW armour
newfg311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 newfg311
Member since 2003 • 816 Posts

kart006k

I swear to everything Holy that no one reads anything before they post.  The video shows the game in ALPHA stage, and still doesn't look that bad.  The explosions already looked better and the environment already looked better than Halo 2. 

Why people continue to make these topics makes my head spin, just wait for the game to be released and be quiet! 

kart006k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kart006k

Okay  Iread all the replies and I do agree that it was too early for me to judge the graphical quality of Halo, and after all its the gameplay that counts not the graphics "Take Mario for example on Nintendo."

But you have to agree Gears of War looked lot better when it was in its Alpha & Beta testings.