Does anyone here NOT play their system on a high-def TV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Richrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Richrach
Member since 2005 • 863 Posts

I only got a high-definition TV last month. For years I've felt like games on the Xbox 360 seem to assume that the player is using an HDTV, as they usually contain small text or other HUD components that are diffucult to read on a standard TV. I'm curious to see if many people still use standard definition TVs. After all, not everybody can afford the luxury of a new TV to go along with an expensive system.

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
me, i Use a monitor to play xbox, if you like multiplayer games i suggest the same. VGA>component
LiquidMettle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 LiquidMettle
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts
Yeah, I'm still not using a HD TV. The small text sucks and I know I could get alot more out of my games. But for some reason I still haven't put together the few hundred bucks for one. I will eventually. I hope.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I've being using a high def tv for over 6 years.

Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

I am not using a high def tv.. Which is painful when playing some games. The text is so hard to read and it cuts off too.

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts

At this point there is simply no reason not to own an HDTV for gaming, movies or just general TV watching. They are very affordable and take up much less space than a tube TV does. Everyone always acts like you need to spend $1500 to get a good HDTV and this is simply not true. Depending on your space, you can get a very good LCD or Plasma for under $700 if you watch for sales. For example, I play on a 42" 720p Panasonic Viera Plasma. Purchase price....$497. People think you need to have 1080p to play HD games. Again false. I dont have exact numbers, but Im betting that less than 10% of all the games released this generation run in native 1080p. In fact most of the games we are playing run in less than 720p.

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts

At this point there is simply no reason not to own an HDTV for gaming, movies or just general TV watching. They are very affordable and take up much less space than a tube TV does. Everyone always acts like you need to spend $1500 to get a good HDTV and this is simply not true. Depending on your space, you can get a very good LCD or Plasma for under $700 if you watch for sales. For example, I play on a 42" 720p Panasonic Viera Plasma. Purchase price....$497. People think you need to have 1080p to play HD games. Again false. I dont have exact numbers, but Im betting that less than 10% of all the games released this generation run in native 1080p. In fact most of the games we are playing run in less than 720p.

kungfuchaos
QFT however 1080P is nice :) oh and OP i have been in HD for years!
GamerChick2083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamerChick2083
Member since 2010 • 481 Posts

I still game on an SD TV. Husband and I are looking for an HD TV because the small text gives me a headache when I try to read it.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Well when the 360 first came out i was gaming in SD but i quickly switched to a computer monitor and not long after a 17in 720p lcd. Now i game on a 42in 1080p lcd tv which has pretty dam good picture quality and only cost $450. I feel like if you can afford the system and games you can also afford HDTV for playing it on as they are much cheaper now. You can get TVs in 20in range and the 30in range for quite cheap or if your really just looking for something to game only you can buy a small tv like i used to have. My 17in cost me 200 and that was like 2/3 years ago.

But if your really not going to get an HDTV your out of luck because HD is the present and most certainly the future, its only gonna get worse for those that have SD tv's especially with games. The next generation of consoles are probably going to run their games standard in 1080p.

EzekyleAbadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EzekyleAbadon
Member since 2010 • 1391 Posts

I use a PC monitor and, frankly, I prefer it to a HDTV.

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

HDTV's are almost essential to get the best out of the XBOX and your money. They're not that expensive either now, I recently bought a 42" Full 1080p LCD TV for only £350.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

Playing in standard definition became a complete hassle over the past couple of years, so I hooked up my console to my PC monitor and computer speakers.

kungfuchaos

I don't know why people assume everyone has $500 laying around for a new tv. Until a few months ago, after paying bills, I had about $70 in spending money each month.

iwaschaseralle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iwaschaseralle
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

kungfuchaos
Do you have 500 dollars I can have then? Im obviously still playing on an Sd t.v. and probably wont upgrade for a long time, as I literally do not care about graphics whatsoever. Plus, if you play on an hd screen, you have to worry about a/v/ lag issues for Guitar hero.
Avatar image for DEMENTEDxKiLLeR
DEMENTEDxKiLLeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DEMENTEDxKiLLeR
Member since 2010 • 58 Posts
i bought a 23 inch hdtv for my xbox and its wayyy better than normal tv lol .... i cant play on larger tv. i tried it on a 47 inch and eww couldnt play. HD IS MUCH BETTER
bangaz5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bangaz5
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
i just got a 40" LED Samsung with 1080p, BluRay Player and wireless adapter for the bluray for 750 from good ol' wallyworld.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
No reason not to have a HDTV anymore. They are cheap and pretty much standard. Even my parents who dont watch much tv and are tightwads have a 32in 720p LCD. I have had a HDTV for about 8 years. I had a 26in CRT and it was HEAVY. Then I got a 37in 1080 5 years ago and I just sold that this weekend and bought a 47in and its beautiful.
Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

kungfuchaos
I already have an SDTV, that's one reason not to own an HDTV.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
[QUOTE="Englando_IV"][QUOTE="kungfuchaos"]

I already have an SDTV, that's one reason not to own an HDTV.

To each his own but I wouldnt want to play games/watch movies on anything but HDTV anymore. They are pretty cheap anymore. I paid $1000 for my 37in 5 years ago. I just got a better 47in and paid $600
DesiGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DesiGhost
Member since 2010 • 371 Posts

I don't play on an HDTV. I don't need it =P

AlwaysFidelis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlwaysFidelis
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I use an SD
evilgamer22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 evilgamer22
Member since 2009 • 2408 Posts

Started out this gen on SD but quickly upgraded and got a 32in 1080p and I love it. The only thing is that I wish I had gone a little bigger, but I stuck with the 32 because the living room in my apartment is rather small. Overall I couldn't imagine going back to playing games on the old CRT tvs and the way prices have plummeted on LCD tvs I don't understand why anyone wouldn't get one. Even my grandfather has a 32in 720p Vizio and he is one of the cheapest people I know.

kenchen23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kenchen23
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts

I use a PC monitor and, frankly, I prefer it to a HDTV.

EzekyleAbadon

lol, i had a nx800 52" and cost 2 thousand and i prefer my 23" pc monitor cost 3 hundred.

Hey what is the difference between tv and pc monitor nowdays? since they both offer the same connect.

I know pc monitor have faster respond time and less input lag thats why i like it better but other than that, anything else?