Does anyone else Hate achievements?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 USSJAndrew
Member since 2004 • 5042 Posts

It's like expectations for gaming. I mean I have to live up to expectations in about every other aspect of life, and video games used to be a fun thing to get away from all these expectations. Now, they go and put expectations in video games like achievements and rankings and stuff, and that's all anybody works for. It's really annoying for mewhen people talk about Halo 3's campaign as just a way to get achievements, and skulls for armor in multiplayer(they dont even use the skulls to upgrade the experience). I can't even get any of my friends that have live to come play a good, unique match like infection or ninjanaut or mosh pit because they're to busy in some weak ranked playing shotty snipers every other match.

I really can't stand these achievements and rankings, anyone else agree?

oh yea: /vent.

mwc0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 mwc0422
Member since 2006 • 639 Posts
I love them.
Kennyofhearts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kennyofhearts
Member since 2007 • 2297 Posts
Achievements are marketing gimmicks, people go and spend $60 on games like King Kong and Fusion Frenzy when they can get funoriginal xbox games like Morrowind and Fable for 4 times as less. Worst part is once you get alot of achievment points you dont feel like you've accomplished anything and contunie to buy xbox 360 games just to raise a number.
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 USSJAndrew

Achievements are marketing gimmicks, people go and spend $60 on games like King Kong and Fusion Frenzy when they can get funoriginal xbox games like Morrowind and Fable for 4 times as less. Worst part is once you get alot of achievment points you dont feel like you've accomplished anything and contunie to buy xbox 360 games just to raise a number.Kennyofhearts

yea, that's another problem I have with them, but I didn't add that in my post because it was a little long anyway. I know tons of people who play games they never would play just to get achievements.

I also hate how Gamespot supports it with those articles on how to get like 10,000 Gamerscore in like an hour.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
I don't understand your rant. Are you saying you hate achievement points partly because they encourage some players to do really annoying things in multiplayer that they wouldn't do otherwise? (ie trying to get 500 shotgun/sniper kills to unlock a skull or achievement)
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 USSJAndrew

I don't understand your rant. Are you saying you hate achievement points partly because they encourage some players to do really annoying things in multiplayer that they wouldn't do otherwise? (ie trying to get 500 shotgun/sniper kills to unlock a skull or achievement)PikaPichu

Yea, if that's how you took it, that's kind of what I meant. There is more to it though.

RandomLoler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 RandomLoler
Member since 2007 • 302 Posts
I have a mix feeling with achievement , I hate them in multiplayer but in Single playe rthey make the games more challening (sometimes) , like in FEAR trying to play through teh whole game without slow mo .If you beat the game several times and you can pretty much pin point the enemies I think that achievement will bring more value to the game . I do hate it hwne people by games likes Ratauoiile (sp?) or some retarded 3rd grader game solely for the achievements though >_>
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 USSJAndrew

I have a mix feeling with achievement , I hate them in multiplayer but in Single playe rthey make the games more challening (sometimes) , like in FEAR trying to play through teh whole game without slow mo .If you beat the game several times and you can pretty much pin point the enemies I think that achievement will bring more value to the game . I do hate it hwne people by games likes Ratauoiile (sp?) or some retarded 3rd grader game solely for the achievements though >_>RandomLoler

Yea, I kind of like SP achievements, but I'd rather have more visible badges instead, just to show you completed something(like the finished the fight badge in Halo 3, but for all games on XBL).

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
yes they do aggrivate me, I just enjoy the game
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 USSJAndrew

yes they do aggrivate me, I just enjoy the game trick6952

I like your attitude and gamerscore:)

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts

[QUOTE="trick6952"]yes they do aggrivate me, I just enjoy the game USSJAndrew

What's special about his gamerscore?

Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts
I love achievements, but I think they should be kept in the single player mode in games.
Fingerella69er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fingerella69er
Member since 2004 • 543 Posts
I hatethem more than the fact that mr. clean ditched me for some fat greasy black lady in prom =(
Kennyofhearts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kennyofhearts
[QUOTE="USSJAndrew"]

[QUOTE="trick6952"]yes they do aggrivate me, I just enjoy the game PikaPichu

It's low meaning he dosen't spend his time chasing acheivments. Instead he plays games for fun.

USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 USSJAndrew
[QUOTE="USSJAndrew"]

[QUOTE="trick6952"]yes they do aggrivate me, I just enjoy the game PikaPichu

It's like 900 something. He's obviously not an achievement whore.

gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
By reading your post I noticed you don't hate achievements... you just hate online achievements which many people do (me included). Luckily developpers have seen this and are taking some kind of action (COD4 won't have online achievements, YAaaay!!!!). But I love offline achievements, they add a lot of replay value, and some are just a ton of fun to get.
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 USSJAndrew

By reading your post I noticed you don't hate achievements... you just hate online achievements which many people do (me included). Luckily developpers have seen this and are taking some kind of action (COD4 won't have online achievements, YAaaay!!!!). But I love offline achievements, they add a lot of replay value, and some are just a ton of fun to get. gp19

Yea, that's a more accurate conclusion, though I also hate SP achievements that tie into online(skull achievements for example).

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
You hate them because you probably can't get any.
Kennyofhearts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kennyofhearts

You hate them because you probably can't get any.insane_metalist

Like you when it comes to sex.

USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 USSJAndrew

You hate them because you probably can't get any.insane_metalist

lolz, fool you didn't even read my post, I have like 5000 GSand I didn't even try to get a single one. I would restart it gladly for nothing.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 insane_metalist

[QUOTE="insane_metalist"]You hate them because you probably can't get any.USSJAndrew

lolz, fool you didn't even read my post, I have like 5000 GSand I didn't even try to get a single one. I would restart it gladly for nothing.

oooo 5000 that's alot try to get all achievements in GoW it will probably take you years :P
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 insane_metalist

[QUOTE="insane_metalist"]You hate them because you probably can't get any.Kennyofhearts

No one is talking to you so please shut the f*** up
Kennyofhearts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kennyofhearts
Why?
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 USSJAndrew
[QUOTE="USSJAndrew"]

[QUOTE="insane_metalist"]You hate them because you probably can't get any.insane_metalist

oooo 5000 that's alot try to get all achievements in GoW it will probably take you years :P

You only have like 4000 more. And that's horrible for someone who obviously tries.

Kennyofhearts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kennyofhearts
[QUOTE="Kennyofhearts"]

[QUOTE="insane_metalist"]You hate them because you probably can't get any.insane_metalist

Nah but seriously I'm sorry about that wasinappropriate but for some reason I just had to do it and cursing isn't really appropriate either on theese boards

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 insane_metalist
[QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"]

[QUOTE="insane_metalist"]You hate them because you probably can't get any.USSJAndrew

You only have like 4000 more. And that's horrible for someone who obviously tries.

Horrible why? I don't play too many games.I only play games i enjoy to play. Which means there are not too many games i enjoy to play.
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 insane_metalist
[QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="Kennyofhearts"]

[QUOTE="insane_metalist"]You hate them because you probably can't get any.Kennyofhearts

Nah but seriously I'm sorry about that wasinappropriate but for some reason I just had to do it and cursing isn't really appropriate either on theese boards

Yeah but i asked you nicely to shut your mouth. Why exactly did you start s*** with me when i wasn't even talking to you?
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 USSJAndrew
[QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"]

Horrible why? I don't play too many games.I only play games i enjoy to play. Which means there are not too many games i enjoy to play.

because all the people I know who I stated in my Original post have like GS of 12000+, probably to about 25,000

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 insane_metalist
[QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"]

because all the people I know who I stated in my Original post have like GS of 12000+, probably to about 25,000

Good for them i don't just play for achievements even though i have all achievements in the games i play for ranks which takes alot of time that might be a reason why it's not so high.
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 USSJAndrew
[QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"]

Good for them i don't just play for achievements even though i have all achievements in the games i play for ranks which takes alot of time that might be a reason why it's not so high.

Oh well good for you. I play for fun.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 insane_metalist
[QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"]

So you're saying play ranked matches where people actually know how to play and try to win isn't fun? It's better to play player matches where everyone is just messing around and glitching?
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 USSJAndrew
[QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"]

So you're saying play ranked matches where people actually know how to play and try to win isn't fun? It's better to play player matches where everyone is just messing around and glitching?

Most of the time I play player. I never get a problem there. If i do get into a lame Team killer room, i just leave and am able to get into another room in like 5 seconds.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 insane_metalist
[QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"][QUOTE="insane_metalist"][QUOTE="USSJAndrew"]

Most of the time I play player. I never get a problem there. If i do get into a lame Team killer room, i just leave and am able to get into another room in like 5 seconds.

Whenever i get into GoW player match there is always someone gltiching either a crab walking or chainsaw glitch or even host shotgun glitch.
pjhtiger44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pjhtiger44
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts
i dont mind them. i just hate how everybody gets off to them. oooo achievements ooo yeah right there mmmmm
XxSPAZxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 XxSPAZxX
Member since 2007 • 1213 Posts
I'm very competitive so i love them :).
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

I think they are a fun little extra that can sometimes add to a game if the achievement is fun to go for. Some people take them seriously, and some people don't, but I don't see anything wrong with them.

I've never purchased a game for achievements, but sometimes when there isn't much new to play they give you a little something extra to do while you wait.

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts
I hear people saying that the X-Box achievement points add incentive for gameplay and add replay value. I tend to agree. Although it's nothing more than simple bragging rights though, and simply because you have a higher gamerscore doesn't mean at all that you're a better gamer.
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
I love them. They encourage the player to try something different most of the time.
goallie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 goallie
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts
Yeah, I like them *goes to get achievements from Halo 3*
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
I like them. I don't play for them but really like how it keeps track of the things ive done
trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
Yes I do like them cause they give a lil more replay value but im not a achivement freak
Absent_Gambler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Absent_Gambler
Member since 2005 • 29 Posts
I hate them mainly for the reason that because people with uber high scores from an entire year spent playing cruddy games non stop would whinge if other people had the possibility to get the same score with less effort. I'm talking about cheats. Sometimes I just want to sit down and play say... Oblivion, with invincibility and super high magicka or something and blow people up for no reason. But I can't because the kid who's spent the better part of 20 years playing WoW and earning achievement points (I'm exaggerating you understand), doesn't want me to be able to beat his gamerscore. I use WoW as an example, not because I think terribly poorly of it or those who play it, but simply because I got frustrated with it, because it was impossible for me to get anywhere in a reasonable stretch of time, due to the degree to which Blizzard has to keep "balancing" i.e., ramping up the difficulty and the time it takes for newer players to get anywhere so that long-time players can stay ahead. Some aspects of online gaming are just a big ego stroker. *Keels over from lack of oxygen*
Sgt_Politeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sgt_Politeness
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts
I hate them mainly for the reason that because people with uber high scores from an entire year spent playing cruddy games non stop would whinge if other people had the possibility to get the same score with less effort. I'm talking about cheats. Sometimes I just want to sit down and play say... Oblivion, with invincibility and super high magicka or something and blow people up for no reason. But I can't because the kid who's spent the better part of 20 years playing WoW and earning achievement points (I'm exaggerating you understand), doesn't want me to be able to beat his gamerscore. I use WoW as an example, not because I think terribly poorly of it or those who play it, but simply because I got frustrated with it, because it was impossible for me to get anywhere in a reasonable stretch of time, due to the degree to which Blizzard has to keep "balancing" i.e., ramping up the difficulty and the time it takes for newer players to get anywhere so that long-time players can stay ahead. Some aspects of online gaming are just a big ego stroker. *Keels over from lack of oxygen*Absent_Gambler
I'm missing your point exactly. What does WoW have to do with achievements? I'm not having a go, I'm just trying to figure out what you mean.
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
I love 'em too :D . But I see your point, OP. Sometimes the fun of games goes out the window because ppl are just boosting their ranks/achievements. Sometimes it would be fun just playing for fun. : \
trentman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 trentman7
Member since 2007 • 2969 Posts
I like getting achievements.............one of my sick sick fetishes is seeing the achievement unlocked icon appear..................but i dont buy games just for achievements
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
i love them, i wouldnt have played some games (or played games for as long as i did) without achievements, and they help to appreciate the game more. plus it takes me a while to get all 1000 (i try to for every game) so i find im only buying games that i really enjoy, and im not buying too many (which helps to save money). but in saying that, when friends are online, i usually play anything that we can have fun with (dont really care about achievements in a scense)
jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#47 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts
I can't see myself desperately trying to get all 1000 a game has to offer, but I'll certainly make the effort to get the ones that don't make you go through a riduculous amount of busy work to accomplish.
Avatar image for luigismansion101
luigismansion101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 luigismansion101
Member since 2003 • 733 Posts
I despise achievements, especially when they are for multiplayer. It really ruins what could be a great multiplayer. They wouldn't be so bad if people didn't judge you by them.
Avatar image for xchiefmegadethx
xchiefmegadethx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 xchiefmegadethx
Member since 2008 • 640 Posts

I love them.mwc0422

I 2nd that!

Avatar image for dragonslayerssj
dragonslayerssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dragonslayerssj
Member since 2003 • 1974 Posts

It's like expectations for gaming. I mean I have to live up to expectations in about every other aspect of life, and video games used to be a fun thing to get away from all these expectations. Now, they go and put expectations in video games like achievements and rankings and stuff, and that's all anybody works for. It's really annoying for mewhen people talk about Halo 3's campaign as just a way to get achievements, and skulls for armor in multiplayer(they dont even use the skulls to upgrade the experience). I can't even get any of my friends that have live to come play a good, unique match like infection or ninjanaut or mosh pit because they're to busy in some weak ranked playing shotty snipers every other match.

I really can't stand these achievements and rankings, anyone else agree?

oh yea: /vent.

USSJAndrew

I really dont know why you are calling achievements "expectations." They aren't expected of you to get them. They are an option if you want to go and get them. Youll get some just by playing and not trying to get them. Not once so far in all the games ive played did is say "you must complete to continue. So as for achievements being "expectations" as you say.... chill out. As for rankings, they have been around ever since games have been invented really. People didnt always play packman because there wasnt any achievements. A lot of people like competition and sometimes being good at a game can win you money so.... yea. All in all i totally disagree with you. I dont love or hate achievements, they are just there to me. If i get some i get some or if there is one i want to try to get ill try for it.