Do you hate people that play games for achievements?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slade-
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

I've got a friend who starts up games and first thing he does is look at the achievements to see how he can unlock them.

It annoys me but whatever... So what do you guys think?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#2 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I guess the people online that keep asking you to boost with them, but I blame the developer more for being dumb enough to include multiplayer achievements.
mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mr_poodles123
Member since 2009 • 1661 Posts
I guess the people online that keep asking you to boost with them, but I blame the developer more for being dumb enough to include multiplayer achievements.Legolas_Katarn
I play for achievements; but I also play for fun. I don't boost, and i don't sit there and play for 3 days just to get an achievement, but if the opportunity arises i will take it.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]I guess the people online that keep asking you to boost with them, but I blame the developer more for being dumb enough to include multiplayer achievements.mr_poodles123
I play for achievements; but I also play for fun. I don't boost, and i don't sit there and play for 3 days just to get an achievement, but if the opportunity arises i will take it.

I always look at the achievements but I never go far out of my way to get them. I won't go around trying to find stunt jumps in GTA or Saints Row and I won't go looking for Pigeons in GTA or for Shards in inFamous.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
It bothers me. It ruins a lot of online games. The first time I decided to play Firefight, I look at my friends list and join a game with an available space. As soon as I get in the room the host tells me they're trying to get the Endure Achievement and he asks if I've played Firefight before. I tell him the is my first ever time playing Firefight and he basically tells me to leave his game, go to the ODST forums and read a guide about how to get the Endure achievement, then come back and join again if there's a free space. I don't know why he couldn't have just explained the important parts and see how things go but obviously that achievement was very important to his life. So important, in fact, that he wasn't willing to play Firefight with anyone who hasn't read the Endure guide on the ODST forums. What happened to just playing for fun?
bobdood99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bobdood99
Member since 2007 • 1862 Posts

I really could care less about achievement points.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#7 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
nah. just because people enjoy their hobby differently than what I do, who am I to judge them? but yeah, I enjoy getting achievements, too :D
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
It doesn't really bother me, its honestly pretty fun to collect achievements i can see how someone would get really into that it's really only annoying in online games
HydraRizlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 HydraRizlim
Member since 2009 • 1110 Posts

I play for achievements but online achievements are the most stupid thing a developer can do people will do everything to get those online achievements that they forget they can excualy PLAY online and have fun without getting cheevies

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Actually, putting multiplayer achievements are a smart business move for devs. They know people love those achievements and what better way to keep them playing the game? :)

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

Achievements. Teehee. :lol: (sig)

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

They're no better than those who complain about them...

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
i dont care if people go for achievements, as long as it doesnt sacrifice the enjoyment of other players. Hence why mutiplayer achievements should be banned
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
I don't hate myself, so no.
Avatar image for deactivated-590595a6292ce
deactivated-590595a6292ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-590595a6292ce
Member since 2008 • 5080 Posts

I play the game, then after I finish it I go back and go for the acheivements.

Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

i dont care if people go for achievements, as long as it doesnt sacrifice the enjoyment of other players. Hence why mutiplayer achievements should be bannedchaoscougar1

Really!? Multiplayer Achievements banned!? I 100% disagree with you. Sure it's a little inconvenientgetting into a roomwhere everybody wants to get headshots, or killing sprees with the shotgun and wine and complain when you don't want to, but that doesn't mean they should be banned. If it's too much of a waste of time to leave the lobbyand find another game then you seriously have a patience problem. Online achievements are half the fun because they are the harder achievements to get. Single player achievements are fun, but they are way too easy.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#17 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

only the people who kick me out of online matches because i dont want to help them get their achievements.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
No... why would it? I do it myself sometimes... but only if I have completed the game before. For example, I completed Gears Of War 2 for the first time when I got it for Christmas. So I start getting rest of achievements. It's fun either way!
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I don't mind that some play for achievements - it doesn't affect me. What annoys me is when people come on these boards to brag about achievements as if they're going to win some sort of prize.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

As long as people aren't griefing or being completely useless in a team multiplayer game, I could give a **** less how people like their gaming. If an achievement is screwing up a multiplayer game, then it's the developer's fault for being a stupid ass.

Avatar image for jonathan_rector
jonathan_rector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jonathan_rector
Member since 2003 • 2734 Posts

I don't understand this...

Why would it bother you for anyone playing a game for what they want to do?

LOLS

CHR3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CHR3
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

I hate people who hate people that play games for achievements!

Scryer999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Scryer999
Member since 2006 • 238 Posts

I dont really mind people that do, i just hate games that have achievements in multiplayer, like Halo, because it really makes the online more competitve and you end up with little 9 year old kids screamin about runnin you over with a mongoose to get an achievement

SgtNumNum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SgtNumNum
Member since 2008 • 1172 Posts

It doesnt bother me. The only thing i dont like is the mulitplayer achievements. Im enjoy playing single player games more and when i see most of the achievements are for mulitplayer i cant stand that.

2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
only when they are multiplayer achievements when ppl ask for the sniper cuz they still need that achievement or not try to win the round becuz they care more about the achievements
Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
I play normally through the game. When i finish it, if the game was good, i try to get what i can, just what i can, not the impossible, consuming a lot of time ones.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I've got a friend who starts up games and first thing he does is look at the achievements to see how he can unlock them.

It annoys me but whatever... So what do you guys think?

Slade-

Why should I hate people for doing something in video games that they find fun?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]i dont care if people go for achievements, as long as it doesnt sacrifice the enjoyment of other players. Hence why mutiplayer achievements should be bannedDamianAlexander

Really!? Multiplayer Achievements banned!? I 100% disagree with you. Sure it's a little inconvenientgetting into a roomwhere everybody wants to get headshots, or killing sprees with the shotgun and wine and complain when you don't want to, but that doesn't mean they should be banned. If it's too much of a waste of time to leave the lobbyand find another game then you seriously have a patience problem. Online achievements are half the fun because they are the harder achievements to get. Single player achievements are fun, but they are way too easy.

hence the sacrifice of enjoyment of other players; LOL about the easy SP achievements, yes there are some easy SP achievements (just like MP) but if u think CoD on veteran, Dead Space on Impossible, Mass Effect on Insane etc etc are easy, then you must be damn good
Quadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 Quadster
Member since 2003 • 578 Posts
yeah, i do hate gamers who play purely for achievements. personally, i'd want ms to give people the option to disable achievements, just seems sad you're getting a pseudo achievment for basically performing a double super triple bypass corkscrew loop whilst trying to limbo under something which is already on the ground and not lose a single life in a micro nano split millionth of a second oh and without cheating.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chaoscougar1

yeah, i do hate gamers who play purely for achievements. personally, i'd want ms to give people the option to disable achievements, just seems sad you're getting a pseudo achievment for basically performing a double super triple bypass corkscrew loop whilst trying to limbo under something which is already on the ground and not lose a single life in a micro nano split millionth of a second oh and without cheating.Quadster
what game is that from? and what are u talking about?

Poissons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Poissons
Member since 2009 • 961 Posts
Not really, it makes there something else to do. I don't go out of my way to get every single one but they're fun things to go for when bored.
rascoqaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rascoqaz
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
The first time or two around I just play the game and see what kind of stuff I can get into and will unlock some doing so. Then later on if I'm bored I'll look at them and try to unlock them.
poordude1089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 poordude1089
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts

I don't mind simply because I'll often get in a situation that i'll only need 5 or so achievements to complete that game's achievements (I've got that in Fallout 3, Rock Band 2, Battlefield 1943, The Darkness, the list goes on). I have no problem with multiplayer achievements, but don't make them online only is my idea.

CHR3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CHR3
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

And make sure your game will have a decent multiplayer component if you are going to have a significant amount of online achievements. Some games simply don't have enough traffic to warrant online achievements.

boltzcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 boltzcom
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts
No, don't hate them...just have a different opinion. I've never started a game and played the game for achievements, but there are times when after I'm done with the campaign I'll go do some that look like I'll have fun while doing them...
Quadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#37 Quadster
Member since 2003 • 578 Posts

[QUOTE="Quadster"]yeah, i do hate gamers who play purely for achievements. personally, i'd want ms to give people the option to disable achievements, just seems sad you're getting a pseudo achievment for basically performing a double super triple bypass corkscrew loop whilst trying to limbo under something which is already on the ground and not lose a single life in a micro nano split millionth of a second oh and without cheating.chaoscougar1

what game is that from? and what are u talking about?

It's called sarcasm, i'm shocked you didn't pick up on the sarcastic vibe of this impossible example of an achievment...."What game is that from?" lol
arkham310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 arkham310
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts
I love achievements, I mean I won't go like completely out of my way to get one, I mean I won't go back and beat the game in super hard difficulty but I will get what I get and try to do the ones reachable.
kILLsWITCH913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kILLsWITCH913
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts

I usually go for achievements, however I won't spend countless hours trying to get one.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I remember one time I got matched up with people who just wanted to gain a certain Achievement and not play the game right. So it can get annoying but naw, I don't hate people who play games just for Achievements, because I don't encounter them that much.

hawksie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hawksie
Member since 2008 • 188 Posts
Like everyone else has said, I have a problem multiplayer achievements. Especially team or partner games. Otherwise no, because I love getting achievements too. I don't go after them specifically until my second playthrough though.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#42 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Thats a stupid excuse to hate someone.
Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

[QUOTE="DamianAlexander"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]i dont care if people go for achievements, as long as it doesnt sacrifice the enjoyment of other players. Hence why mutiplayer achievements should be bannedchaoscougar1

hence the sacrifice of enjoyment of other players; LOL about the easy SP achievements, yes there are some easy SP achievements (just like MP) but if u think CoD on veteran, Dead Space on Impossible, Mass Effect on Insane etc etc are easy, then you must be damn good

But the thing about single player achievements is that they aren't difficult for me, they're more time consuming. Sure Call of Duty 4 was hard on Veteran, but I did it eventually, you just have to get to the next checkpoint. That's why multiplayer achievements are difficult, because there is always someone trying to prevent you from getting them.

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

Nope, doesn't bother me at all for a few reasons.

1. Achievment enthusiasts tend to buy many more games than your average gamer and thus, tend to buy niche titles that other gamers (other than dedicated fans of the genre enjoy). This makes it more likely a game will be financially successful by adding a demographic that would have previously not looked that titles direction.
  2. I don't play online almost at all (though having online only achievements does aggravate me)
  3. Nothing says you and I have to enjoy our games the same way. As long as you're enjoying it and not ruining someone else's enjoyment (something online achievements have the capacity to do) then you're okay in my book.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11997 Posts

Usually I play the game for fun and if I like it, I beat the game. If I want to play more, I go for achievements.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Why would anyone hate someone for that?

KittyHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KittyHeart
Member since 2009 • 1340 Posts

those who play for achievemetns are fine w/ me i guess, they really dont affect me so thats out...

but they really help game sales, so taht is a good. many people buy cheap games for achievemtns points, that i know.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#48 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Not at all. They can do whatever they want.

I do hate elitists, though. You are in no way better at gaming than any one else just because of your gamerscore.

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

People can play for whatever reason they want if they have fun doing it. But if they're just trying to get an achievement for the sake of getting it and not even enjoying themselves then I have to wonder why. I barely notice achievements when I play, I just think it's cool when I get one because I usually don't get them that often lol.

Slade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Slade-
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

Maybe i should rephrase the topic title.. I didn't mean hate. I really meant annoy.

Bad choice of words i guess:P