Do you guys agree with the Halo MCC score?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

It got a 6 here, at first I didn't agree with it. I though how can a halo game get such a low score........until I played it. OK, the online works half the time. I played it at a friends house, we spent half the time trying to get into game. Then when we did we encountered heavy lag and un-even teams, in halo that matters. So if we break it down, I would say the single player is a perfect 10, now since thats about half the game, 5 points automatically go to the single player. Thats a 5/10 right there, when you count the multiplayer if its perfect its another 10, so if the multiplayer worked it could have got a perfect 10. Maybe 6 is a little harsh, but its fair.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

If anything, other outlets that rushed a review out to be first and retracted the score after is a bigger problem.

The game is glitchy on the singleplayer and multiplayer fronts. If anything, GS was kind by not mentioning the numerous and documented SP glitches confirmed by 343 and other gaming outlets.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

To be honest, I don't know. I didn't agree with it at first because I thought the issue was a lot smaller then I now realize it really is. Maybe I was naive, but I thought it was a simple bug or server side issues that would be fixed rapidly... I was wrong. Beyond that, it isn't the only issue with the collection. It crashes constantly during H2A. I don't trust the "Save and Quit" function as I've lost my progress twice now. If you jump during Halo CE multiplayer even a fraction higher then usual you instantly die from falling. They ported the PC version of H2 which was a broken product in itself and many of it's bugs are now present. There are hitscan issues... the list goes on. Oh, and Halo 4 isn't even the latest version of that game. It's the pre-patch build.. wtf were they thinking? So yeah, Gamespot's score is justified.

Oh well. I'm still enjoying it, and for that reason it will always be a 10 in my books :P

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

I don't have my own review because I haven't played it but I don't agree with the reasons. I would agree if it was a purely online game with online problems but that's not the case here. It seems a lot of problems are related to personal router settings which is not something you can really test for.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I think people, in general, put too much emphasis on review scores....they talk about it like it is an exact science or something. It's just one person's opinion trying to convey how they feel in a number format. I cannot begin to tell you how many poorly reviewed games on Gamespot I have enjoyed in the past years(Never Alone is the most recent example....it's become almost reverse psychology for me....poorly reviewed games actually interest me more on Gamespot) I don't necessarily disagree with the 6/10 Gamespot review from a purely objective standpoint, a lot of people will get Halo for the online, and it is important to inform customers about online issues, especially if they are not solved after the initial 24 hour launch window.

On the flip side, games like Battlefield 4 scored great on this site, despite the horrible launch issues(online) that persisted for months....so what I disagree with is the inconsistency of the reviews on this site, because most games that launch with online issues don't have "points" deducted for that....it is mentioned in the text, but it is rare to find an example on this site like MCC, that's the issue I had with the review on this site.....it really makes no difference in the end, I think most people are smart enough to read the text review and make their own decision afterwards, regardless of the numeric score.....and the majority of Metacritic has pretty much spoken in favor of this game.

So do I disagree with the Gamespot review of Halo : MCC? No not really.....I respect the reviewer(Chris) and I get where he was coming from with the review.....do I think MCC is worth buying now? Hell yes! I'm barely done Halo 1 campaign, playing it co-op is just golden.,....I play online every night and while there are still issues to iron out, it's good enough for me for now while they iron out the rest(speaking from my own personal experiences online, as I have not really encountered any lag as you have stated TC).

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Yes I agree with the score, any game that is released half broken should be judged accordingly - Halo or not.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I'm a Halo fan but let's be real, I own CE, H2, H3 and H4 and that's the point, I've played them for a very long time, so nothing new other than better versions of the same game, no biggie, but in this case the important thing is the MP, which BTW is broken, 5 for the collection + 1 for the remastering = 6 , the remaining points are for the multiplayer they were so excited about. The score is fair to me.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

They literally gave it a 6 soley for the fact that the online was "temporarily" down.....what the actual **** gamespot! who cares about the 4 brilliant campaigns plus coop plus theater plus forge plus custom games plus halo 5 beta plus new halo 2 graphics plus new cgi cutscenes plus halo nightfall. Yeah good fucking job GS, a round of applause to the biggest fucking gumps in history.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22387 Posts

I only bought it for the campaigns, so IMO I don't agree with the score because I had no problems playing them. But considering all the MP problems, it's probably fair to score it that low. But once they are fixed, maybe they should be changed accordingly.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I only bought it for the campaigns, so IMO I don't agree with the score because I had no problems playing them. But considering all the MP problems, it's probably fair to score it that low. But once they are fixed, maybe they should be changed accordingly.

Yeah I bought it for the SP too I have no interest in MP

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@mesomorphin said:

They literally gave it a 6 soley for the fact that the online was "temporarily" down.....what the actual **** gamespot! who cares about the 4 brilliant campaigns plus coop plus theater plus forge plus custom games plus halo 5 beta plus new halo 2 graphics plus new cgi cutscenes plus halo nightfall. Yeah good fucking job GS, a round of applause to the biggest fucking gumps in history.

It wasn't "down". It flat out didn't work. We aren't talking about a temporary server outage here. The bugs, some significant, extend to single-player. I don't know about you but having a checkpoint system that doesn't work is a pretty big problem and part of a larger trend of lacking polish: Random UI issues, music cutting out, multiple game freezes, poor framerate on Halo CE: Anniversary, choppy cutscene playback in Halo 2 Anniversary, weapon animations flat out disappearing for minutes at a time and DRM-bugs that lock you out from accessing Nightfall... amongst others. And this is with the most up to date version at time of writing.

The games that make up MCC might be good, but as a package it's unpolished. Actually worse, it's unfinished.