Digital purchases on day 1

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I usually purchase the games I want on day 1 , and one of the things I think they need to do on Xbox One is make sure that games are available for download at midnight(for whatever region you are in). Right now this is not the case(not for me here in Canada anyways), some games show up at 3a.m. (eastern), sometimes later.

This is a minor annoyance for me but I noticed something recently that I thought I should share. Usually when the game is out you will see in the the "New Releases" section however it seems that section is sometimes slow to update on launch day, so you can try manually searching for the game in the Store and you may be able to find it that way and start downloading.

Case in point: Sinper Elite 3 is not in the new releases tab now, but if you use the xbox bing search command you will find it and can purchase it right now. (Not sure if I am getting it though....watching a stream to make up my mind.)

edit: oops....looks like that was a bad example, Sniper Elite 3 is in the new releases tab but not at the front(for some reason). Anyways, I remember this working on another game I downloaded recently.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#2 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Even so, the prices on Xbox one/PS4 are incredible expensive, stupidly expensive! Whats that? Ryse son of rome is only $74-AU digitally? but hang on....I can buy it for only $40-AU just downtown....

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Alucard_Prime

@mesomorphin: I don't disagree with that, they need to work on pricing. Here in Canada new digital games are now usually 69.99$, a 10$ increase from past few years. To me digital should be cheaper than retail, but I do have a theory and there might be an upside to this.

I believe by having high regular prices they intend on being more aggressive with their sales-discount tactics. A sale is more effective if suddenly Ryse goes from 69.99$ down to 39.99$ for example..but if was 50$ in the first place, then that new sale price is not that amazing suddenly.....that is business for ya unfortunately, I've read the console makers will experiment with pricing a lot this gen so we will see what the future holds.

Solarplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Solarplex
Member since 2014 • 64 Posts

Microsoft is on the pacific coast so the digital day 1 releases certainly suffer... but then again gamestop needs an edge dont they. haha I'm a physical copy fan

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I don't support Digital. It's all about the physical for me, as a collector. Plus, if a game sucks or disappoints, I can sell it or gift it to friends.

The only DD games I do buy are DD only games, but because I can't lend/sell/trade DD games. I always get DD on sale or free as I wait for DD deals. I don't feel the same way about physical. I'm just not a fan of the DD initiative, especially when you figure how small the HDDs are and as a collector what happens a decade from now with all my DD content. It's just to shakey and there are no promises or solutions so I'll stick to physical as much as possible in the mean time.

If Digital were 20% the price of physical, I might consider it....but for the same price I'll never consider it. Yes, Digital goes on sale but so does physical. I see $5-$20 game bins all the time at retailers. Plus, with ISPs adding in Bandwidth and Data Caps, it makes Digital an even worse proposition than ever before.

I have so many games in my Steam, XBL, Wii VC, PSN, Origin, and more libraries that I would gladly sell but I can't. It turns out the game wasn't for me and I'm stuck with it and I see no reason to change my views on DD until there are huge benefits other than the lazy factor.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@mesomorphin: It's pretty disappointing for those of us who use digital downloads as a necessity. When the sales do come on, they can be dirt cheap, but on XBL, those are few and far in between.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

i don't buy overpriced digital games. I most I will usually pay for a digital game is about $20. If Sony & Microsoft want to sell newly released data digitally on their system, they will need to drop the price at least 33% or more before I even think about getting it digitally. Like Sniper 3 should be $40 digitally. If I bought the physical version new for $60, I could play it, beat it and sell it on Ebay for $35-$45 easily. With a digital copy, you can't do that.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Alucard_Prime

@SolidTy: I think I've seen you post something like this many times before - we get it, you don't like digital, and I respect that. You don't need to bring that up whenever there is a discussion on digital purchases. No offense, but this topic was not really about that, but that is more my fault and how I phrased the title, and I ended up derailing my own thread anyways lol.....I just wanted to address the fact that games are not available digitally at midnight in all regions, and I usually check the new release tab, but searching manually seems to sometimes provide quicker finds.

I will say this however, since you opened the discussion. In fact, I used to be a collector just like you, and I completely understand the mindset....but my thinking shifted a lot in the past few years, when I realized all those games I was "collecting" ended up in boxes collecting dust, never to be played again. Who knows if I will ever touch them, and they have zero value today anyways. Imo, the only games worth collecting are the ones that had a limited run, an obscure game that only had a few thousand copies produced for example. Or collectors editions. But that is just my opinion now, that could change in the future lol, so far I'm finding digital is a lot more conveniant, that is why I like it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Fvck digital. If this is the future for console gaming, I'm sticking to a PC.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vl4d_l3nin

@BattleSpectre said:

I'm pretty sure digital is the future for all platforms.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

@mesomorphin: It's pretty disappointing for those of us who use digital downloads as a necessity. When the sales do come on, they can be dirt cheap, but on XBL, those are few and far in between.

Yeah not so much on the Xbone just yet, but XBL's deals of the week on 360 can actually be pretty damn good from time to time, games can be as cheap as $10 or $5 sometimes, but then again its like once every few weeks :/

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

Physical copies are worth the wait, I am not a big fan of digital games.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidTy

@mercuria1_king said:

Same. Plus, if you wait you get great deals on physical copies.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vl4d_l3nin
@SolidTy said:

@mercuria1_king said:

one of the bonuses for retail outlets having inventory to look after lol

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mercuria1_King

@SolidTy said:

@mercuria1_king said:

Exactly, I have been enjoying the sale that's been going on with Amazon and Best Buy.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mercuria1_King

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@SolidTy said:

@mercuria1_king said:

Thats true lol

I am glad that sales are starting to appear more and more though.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Alucard_Prime

@BattleSpectre said:

Well I certainly hope they don't get rid of physical, I'd like both to remain an option, as is the case now. To have the choice is the best, some people prefer one over the other, more people are satisfied overall. You should know however, that digital is very active in the PC world, it's not isolated to consoles.

Like I said I totally respect the physical-only choice, as it used to be my main choice as well. For me, with the purchase of the Xboox One, it's the very first time I go 100% digital, and so far I'm finding it much more convienent.

It's not one really big thing, but rather a combination of smaller benefits. Avoiding all those trips to the store to buy a game is a sweet bonus, and the instant switch is great, never having to switch a disc just instantly going from one game to another, I feel like I'm playing more games now because of this. Games on demand. I can bring my 4 TB portable HD to a friend's house and just plug it to his Xbox One, sign in with my gamertag and be able to play all those games, certainly beats having to carry a dozen discs with you around.

Anyways, I don't think they will completely get rid of physical anytime soon, and that is a good thing.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy

@mercuria1_king said:

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@SolidTy said:

@mercuria1_king said:

Thats true lol

I am glad that sales are starting to appear more and more though.

To me, they have always been going on. It's not more and more to me, it's more some people are starting to notice sweet sales more often as they get older.