CoD 4 on HDTV Vs. SDTV...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts

Guys I know this may not belong here, but I have to ask if there is any known corelation to reaction times for targeting and seeing enemies on HDTV's being slower than on SDTV's? The reason I ask is that I often find while playing CoD 4, I appear to have the jump on a guy and have him all lined up and even shoot before he does and I still die. My son plays on a SDTV and will simply rape people.

So, I conducted a little test after watching him score 35-40 plus kills in 4 straight rounds of Domination on his SDTV and me having scored in the 15-25 point range in the same exact game. He came down to my 720p Phillips Maganavox 37" and played 3 rounds scoring a high of 20 in one of the rounds and the rest were in the teeens. He came away with the same opinion. There seems to be some sort of slow recognition with my HDTV Vs. SDTV. Whats the deal???

NOD_Grindking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 NOD_Grindking
Member since 2004 • 2778 Posts
do you happen to be playing on wireless? could it be a latency issue?
ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts

^that

I find it hard to believe that the game would play different on a definition it was made to play on.

grvr316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 grvr316
Member since 2003 • 679 Posts
There are a lot of factors that go into A/V lag. I think all games should come with a A/V calibrator like GH3.
fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
Probably just lag, it happens a lot on cod4.
LotsOfGrenades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 LotsOfGrenades
Member since 2008 • 106 Posts
Honestly though, your picture/frame rate shouldn't be effected by whatever you're using. It'd have to be a calibration issue along with your connection. When I play on HD I do the same as I do on regular. And SDTV? Crazy, I haven't seen that since I used to watch it with Fifel Goes West.
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
There should be no difference. The calibration issues you are speaking of are sound to picture differences not hit scan recognition differences. There is very little correlation between these two ideas. Instead of you playing on one and your son on the other. Have him play both. That way his skill is the determining factor, its very possible hes much better than you. Secondly internet speeds can have a dramatic effect on how much lag there is in game. Say both times you were paired up with a higher latency matchmaking game, then both times its going to appear your lagging more than on your sons console. That being said there is no difference between HDTV and SDTV other than occasional games that rely on precision sound tuning, (PS the guitar hero issue was due to a bad port from a standard cabling game to an HDMI as they work differently; there will not be a calibration issue in the new GH game).
Bulova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bulova
Member since 2003 • 1237 Posts

It could absolutely be because its on HDTV instead of SDTV.

Guitar hero has a built in calibration that even states that HDTV's may have a lag issue (can't remember the exact wording).

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
LCD TVs are notorious for having poor response times, so perhaps your TV doesn't have a very low one. I know that I found some delay when playing Battlefield bad Company on a Samsung LN52A650, when I moved the left stick to the left there would be the slightest pause before the character would move. You can correct that if your TV has a Game Mode to some degree.
kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts
LCD TVs are notorious for having poor response times, so perhaps your TV doesn't have a very low one. I know that I found some delay when playing Battlefield bad Company on a Samsung LN52A650, when I moved the left stick to the left there would be the slightest pause before the character would move. You can correct that if your TV has a Game Mode to some degree.Large_Soda
I checked my owners manual and it says my LCD TV has an 8 ms response time. Im not sure if that is good or bad. It also says that my LCD runs at 60 Hz.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#13 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
hmm, that sounds pretty weird. not sure what the problem is, really lol
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
8ms is standard and 60hz is standard LCD refresh rate.
KUHawksFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KUHawksFan
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

8Ms and 60Hz are standard.

Vizio just released these new LCD screens with 2Ms and 120Hz response/refresh time/rate.

jackelzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 jackelzx
Member since 2008 • 820 Posts
I had no problem when i moved on to a hdtv
makemeweak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 makemeweak
Member since 2005 • 1137 Posts
It could be lag caused by your network connection speed. Are the consoles connected to live differently (Wired/wireless)? That said, CRT SDTVs do typically have a faster response rate than LCD/Plasma HDTVs, but I doubt it would affect your score, just cause more "ghosting" in moving images.