Can someone explain this XBox Live thing?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DriftRS
Member since 2004 • 3491 Posts

I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy a 360 now, probably in March when RE5 comes out, they're about $400 for the pro here in aus, so they've come down nicely.

Whats got me confused is this XBox live thing... through all my years gaming on the PC, I've NEVER payed to play games online... I pay an ISP for my internet, and I normally expect to get my online gaming free, especially when the companies developing the games/hardware shouldn't even be hosting the servers. I mean, it's free on other consoles like the Wii and PS3 as well. I also hear you have to pay to be able to download stuff on more then two accounts or something? Thats probably never going to be an issue for me, but still, people are having to pay for demo's now? That's like me paying to see advertisments on TV :? And don't I already use microsoft points or whatever to purchase downloadable games and content anyway? Maybe I'm wrong and you can download those without the subscription?

Furthermore, if any MMORPG's come out on the console, doesn't that mean to play those, you have to pay out to MS who don't really do anything but take your money, pay out to your ISP, and the game developer? Three subscriptions for one game?

So... can anyone clarify this, is the Live subscription required for all games or just some? Like CoD I can play free online on every other system ever developed in the entire world... I'm all up for buying the console, but I dislike the idea of having to pay a subscription fee for what should be a free service...

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts
yes you have to pay.. and i mean i dont really care.. 80 buks a year wow! its nothing if you have the money to buy games and the console itself... for great online its worth it!
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy a 360 now, probably in March when RE5 comes out, they're about $400 for the pro here in aus, so they've come down nicely.

Whats got me confused is this XBox live thing... through all my years gaming on the PC, I've NEVER payed to play games online... I pay an ISP for my internet, and I normally expect to get my online gaming free, especially when the companies developing the games/hardware shouldn't even be hosting the servers. I mean, it's free on other consoles like the Wii and PS3 as well. I also hear you have to pay to be able to download stuff on more then two accounts or something? Thats probably never going to be an issue for me, but still, people are having to pay for demo's now? That's like me paying to see advertisments on TV :? And don't I already use microsoft points or whatever to purchase downloadable games and content anyway? Maybe I'm wrong and you can download those without the subscription?

Furthermore, if any MMORPG's come out on the console, doesn't that mean to play those, you have to pay out to MS who don't really do anything but take your money, pay out to your ISP, and the game developer? Three subscriptions for one game?

So... can anyone clarify this, is the Live subscription required for all games or just some? Like CoD I can play free online on every other system ever developed in the entire world... I'm all up for buying the console, but I dislike the idea of having to pay a subscription fee for what should be a free service...

DriftRS
Why should it be free?
kyrissbp82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kyrissbp82
Member since 2006 • 391 Posts
Yup, that's pretty much the deal. Pay MS for the ability to use a couple services that are free on your PC or any other system. Sucks huh.
DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DriftRS

Why should it be free?

Cause... M$ isn't acctually doing anything worth being payed for... They're not hosting servers, they're not giving you any special content, you still have to pay to download anything, unless you acctually think paying for trailers is worthwhile... I mean as far as I can tell, MS are just taking your money and not giving anything in return, it doesn't make sense to me. I know it's only $80, but still, it's another subscription your paying for, except this one isn't acctually "for" anything. I mean, if you really think online on the 360 shouldn't be free, then shouldn't you have the same outlook for your PC? Why are you not paying Microsoft to go online on a windows PC? Are you honestly saying you wouldn't complain if Microsoft blocked your access to the internet on your PC unless you payed them $80 a year? I'm sorry this is just turning into me complaining, I'm going to buy a 360 regardless, but damn, I just don't like the idea of this subscription to play online : /
kyrissbp82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kyrissbp82
[QUOTE="DriftRS"]

dotWithShoes

Why should it be free?

Why shouldn't it? MS is charging you for a service to sell you more things. That's like having to pay amazon to be able to shop there. PSN = no charge. I can play COD 4 there for free. I like XBOX live, but why do you think MS deserves the $$? Do you really think that they are running the servers that your online games are running on? What do you get with a Gold membership? The ability to play games with your friends that you could play on your PC, PS3 free, and the ability to stream Netflix on your 360, which you can also do for free on your PC.

PlzDuntBanMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 PlzDuntBanMe
Member since 2008 • 3269 Posts
What, you have to pay for demos?
kyrissbp82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kyrissbp82
It depends on the demo. Some are exclusive to Gold members, others are not (as with all XBL content). You can't play games online without a Gold membership, and you can't stream Netflix. To watch Netflix on your XBOX, you must subscribe to an ISP, XBL Gold, and Netflix. This is where the guy who says 'hey, it's only another $80 a year' is not thinking. It all adds up. Some ay he will grow up and realize that money is good to save.
KorruptRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KorruptRaiden
Member since 2008 • 878 Posts
yes you have to pay.. and i mean i dont really care.. 80 buks a year wow! its nothing if you have the money to buy games and the console itself... for great online its worth it!adders99
Its not the point, you pay your ISP for your internet service as he stated, and you expect to get the full access for free, i mean PSN is free but why not live?
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
XBL is where you pay Microsoft so you can use your own internet to play games.
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

You do not have to pay for demos. At least not all of them. Recently I downloaded the RE5 demo, FIFA 09 demo, Skate 2 and Football Manager demos for free. And if I read your question correctly, then I hope this is the answer you were looking for:

You pay for one Xbox Live Subcription (which will allow you to play all of your games online), the cheapest option is just to buy the 12 Months; it works out cheaper in the long run. Plus sometimes you get a free bonus month after those 12. The money goes to MS supposedly to help improve the servers and other bits, but it's obvious they're making bigmoney off it. It's pretty smart on MS's part, even if it is a pain in the ass.

DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DriftRS
yeah, I might go with the free first month it gives you, then if I've got enough multiplayer games I might consider paying the one year subscription. Maybe I can just dodge the whole issue by buying any multiplayer specific games on PC : /
threx808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 threx808
Member since 2003 • 197 Posts
Why am I hearing people say you have to pay 80 dollars for xbox live? You can buy xbox live cards for like 38 dollars for a year. That's 3 dollars a month... Skip a starbucks one day a month and you'll have enough. And why does the xbox cost 400 dollars there?
phoenixrebirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 phoenixrebirth
Member since 2006 • 899 Posts
$80 a year?
HFC-LUKE-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HFC-LUKE-08
Member since 2008 • 55 Posts

if your getting a 360 you might aswell get used to paying for things Eg.

turning down the volume of your TV - 400 MSP

going to make a sandwich - 800 MSP

slapping bill gates with a fish - priceless

also microsoft make so much profit off XBL they would rather eat their own testacles than make it free

phoenixrebirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 phoenixrebirth
Member since 2006 • 899 Posts
$80 a year?
kardis2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kardis2000
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

OK you don't pay to download demos there free all demos on live-market place are free If you have a gold membership you get access to some game demos before

silver members you can buy Live games on the market place but before you do that you can always play the game as a demo first if you like it then you can buy it

as for buying the x-box live membership for a year its a good thing as the on-line is very good also with the membership you get new features

with the new dashboard as party chat while playing a game and other stuff if you can afford it by all means get it i was lucky to have had a Friend buy it for me

cause for me its a bit expensive so that kicked butt i hope this kinda helps you also after your membership of gold expires it will revert back to silver

DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DriftRS
[QUOTE="kardis2000"]

OK you don't pay to download demos there free all demos on live-market place are free If you have a gold membership you get access to some game demos before

silver members you can buy Live games on the market place but before you do that you can always play the game as a demo first if you like it then you can buy it

as for buying the x-box live membership for a year its a good thing as the on-line is very good also with the membership you get new features

with the new dashboard as party chat while playing a game and other stuff if you can afford it by all means get it i was lucky to have had a Friend buy it for me

cause for me its a bit expensive so that kicked butt i hope this kinda helps you also after your membership of gold expires it will revert back to silver

Thanks for the info, glad to hear games on the market can be bought regardless :) Yeah, like I said I'll give it a shot for the intial month, if it's worth it I'll probably get it, I still totally hate the concept of paying to play games online though, especially when you've already payed the developer for that online content which is on your damn disk XD
allan3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 allan3456
Member since 2005 • 46 Posts
If it makes you feel better rumors say the price is being reduced this year.
ISargin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 ISargin
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts

yes you have to pay.. and i mean i dont really care.. 80 buks a year wow! its nothing if you have the money to buy games and the console itself... for great online its worth it!adders99

30$ for 12 months at amazon. i dont see the big deal.

DopeyDavoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DopeyDavoid
Member since 2004 • 5375 Posts

I don't think xbox live is really worth it unless you're in america. Games are all optimised to run well for americans but not far off smaller nations like aus.

Seriously, only like 1/4 of the games even let you sort games by ping. Being forced to play high latency games and then being screamed at by an 8 year old for "sucking" is not a fun experience. Of course when i get a chance to host in the stupid matchmaking systems (and the roles are reversed) i am obviously a "cheating and standbying whore"...

pistonfan74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pistonfan74
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Oh my god will you people quit your whining. Microsoft is offering a service. A really good service when you compare it to PSN. It is well worth the money. Microsoft has to pay for the servers so why wouldn't they charge people? It's no different then signing up for any service on the net. Should Netflix let us watch movies for free over the internet since we are already paying our ISP? No they shouldn't!!! The original poster showed what type of person he is when he said he pirated games.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
Microsoft has to pay for the servers so why wouldn't they charge people?pistonfan74
Because they aren't offering servers. Games run peer to peer. Anyway, the only point you need to win this argument is that Microsoft offers the same service (Windows Live) for the PC and that one is free! Tell me how this is not a rip off for console users? I don't care that it's not much money. It's still not worth it. But some people here would even pay if MS charged them a dollar for switching on the XBox each time. Because a dollar isn't much, right?
pistonfan74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pistonfan74
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Because they aren't offering servers. Games run peer to peer. Anyway, the only point you need to win this argument is that Microsoft offers the same service (Windows Live) for the PC and that one is free! Tell me how this is not a rip off for console users? I don't care that it's not much money. It's still not worth it. But some people here would even pay if MS charged them a dollar for switching on the XBox each time. Because a dollar isn't much, right?nethernova

I know the games are peer to peer but they do run servers to host the content. If you don't like it then don't pay for it but they can charge whatever they want. Capitalism is a wonderful thing! lol

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Microsoft want you to pay them for the privelige of playing videogames online. Simple as that.
KorruptRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KorruptRaiden
Why am I hearing people say you have to pay 80 dollars for xbox live? You can buy xbox live cards for like 38 dollars for a year. That's 3 dollars a month... Skip a starbucks one day a month and you'll have enough. And why does the xbox cost 400 dollars there?threx808
Dude in australia its 80 come on man didnt take much to think that.
KorruptRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KorruptRaiden
Microsoft want you to pay them for the privelige of playing videogames online. Simple as that.Floppy_Jim
So why dont they charge us to play the same games on pc???
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
Ok driftRS, I'll clarify XBL for you. - Demo's are free. - Gold only haas one advantage over silver, you can play with others online. WIth silver subscribtion, you can do everything gold members do, except play online. WIth gold you can play all games online. - PAL prices equal about 7 dollars a month for XBL gold. Really not that bad, considering that PAL prices are usually much higher anyways, I'm sure you're used to paying almost $100 for games by now. - Games are starting to have dedicated servers, L4D for example. While I agree that the majority of games being p2p sucks, it's more a psychological thing. For example, if you're playing on a dedicated server, you're going to make yourself believe the game is running better than if you were playing p2p. I have crap internet, yet I still play games online fine, sure there's a disconnection or a lagtastic match here and there, but online multiplayer is not perfect anyways. - Should microsoft charge you? there is no answer to that. Microsoft is a company, they can do whatever they want, they have no obligation to be fair to their customers. If they want to charge money for XBL gold, then they can charge money. It's up to the customer to decide if they want to pay for it. If the XBL gold price bothers you so much, buy a PS3 and use free PSN or continue PC gaming, simple as that mate. - Also, are you complaining about buying downloadable games and content? seriously? XBLA is a platform unto itself, are you really expecting free games? as for DLC, yeah well that's up to you. As for MMO's, we'll see mate, we'll see. hope this helps.
Xero319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xero319
Member since 2003 • 1673 Posts
LOL, topics like this crack me up. Just because you pay for your ISP, doesnt mean xbox live should be free. Its a completely different service, from a completely different company. They dont charge for demos, whoever told you that needs a helmet. Your paying for a service that allows you to communicate and play with other people, and it actually works pretty damn well. Ill give you this, I dont really agree with some of the DLC prices, and all that, but hey, if you dont like it, dont buy it. DLC is NOT necessary to play. I guess my point is this....if you can spend $400 for a system, and pay $100 for a game, why are you whining about a charge, that is 1 time per year, of $40-$50 depending on how you go about purchasing it. It doesnt make any sense, and really just seems like you were bored and wanted to complain about something.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dotWithShoes

Why should it be free?DriftRS

Cause... M$ isn't acctually doing anything worth being payed for... They're not hosting servers, they're not giving you any special content, you still have to pay to download anything, unless you acctually think paying for trailers is worthwhile... I mean as far as I can tell, MS are just taking your money and not giving anything in return, it doesn't make sense to me. I know it's only $80, but still, it's another subscription your paying for, except this one isn't acctually "for" anything. I mean, if you really think online on the 360 shouldn't be free, then shouldn't you have the same outlook for your PC? Why are you not paying Microsoft to go online on a windows PC? Are you honestly saying you wouldn't complain if Microsoft blocked your access to the internet on your PC unless you payed them $80 a year? I'm sorry this is just turning into me complaining, I'm going to buy a 360 regardless, but damn, I just don't like the idea of this subscription to play online : /

But they are hosting servers. You don't think you're gamerscore(gamercard), profile, games history, and the such are all hosted on your 360? I've never paid for a trailer before, is there really trailers you pay for? Why shouldn't I pay MS for going online with my PC.. lets see, if we wanna equate PC to 360.. I would classify my PC as an Xbox Live Silver subscription, seeing as how I don't game online on my PC. So yeah, that's why.
kyrissbp82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kyrissbp82

LOL, topics like this crack me up. Just because you pay for your ISP, doesnt mean xbox live should be free. Its a completely different service, from a completely different company. They dont charge for demos, whoever told you that needs a helmet. Your paying for a service that allows you to communicate and play with other people, and it actually works pretty damn well. Ill give you this, I dont really agree with some of the DLC prices, and all that, but hey, if you dont like it, dont buy it. DLC is NOT necessary to play. I guess my point is this....if you can spend $400 for a system, and pay $100 for a game, why are you whining about a charge, that is 1 time per year, of $40-$50 depending on how you go about purchasing it. It doesnt make any sense, and really just seems like you were bored and wanted to complain about something. Xero319

You don't seem to be getting the fact that no one else charges you for a service to communicate with people. Does facebook charge you, no. Do you have to pay for your IM on the computer, no. Do you have to pay to play multiplayer games games (other than MMOs where the company is managing a profile for you on it's serves ), no. The PSN may not be designed as well as the XBL (most likely because Sony is primarily a hardware company), but you can do the same things on there for free. You can't say that XBL's service for online games is great, because that depends on the game. Looks at GeoW2. It takes 20 minutes to get out of a lobby and find a game. Halo 3 is very streamilined, but that's because Bungie knows what they are doing. You can play a 60 person multiplayer game of Resistance 2 on the PS3 and it runs just as well as live. Same with COD4. I am not arguing about the game systems, I love my 360 and have the majority of games for the 360. It just annoys me that I have to pay for a service that is free for every other system. MS likes to screw us out of money as is evident by the prices that they charge for hardware like 360HDDs.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dotWithShoes

[QUOTE="Xero319"]LOL, topics like this crack me up. Just because you pay for your ISP, doesnt mean xbox live should be free. Its a completely different service, from a completely different company. They dont charge for demos, whoever told you that needs a helmet. Your paying for a service that allows you to communicate and play with other people, and it actually works pretty damn well. Ill give you this, I dont really agree with some of the DLC prices, and all that, but hey, if you dont like it, dont buy it. DLC is NOT necessary to play. I guess my point is this....if you can spend $400 for a system, and pay $100 for a game, why are you whining about a charge, that is 1 time per year, of $40-$50 depending on how you go about purchasing it. It doesnt make any sense, and really just seems like you were bored and wanted to complain about something. kyrissbp82

You don't seem to be getting the fact that no one else charges you for a service to communicate with people. Does facebook charge you, no. Do you have to pay for your IM on the computer, no. Do you have to pay to play multiplayer games games (other than MMOs where the company is managing a profile for you on it's serves ), no. The PSN may not be designed as well as the XBL (most likely because Sony is primarily a hardware company), but you can do the same things on there for free. You can't say that XBL's service for online games is great, because that depends on the game. Looks at GeoW2. It takes 20 minutes to get out of a lobby and find a game. Halo 3 is very streamilined, but that's because Bungie knows what they are doing. You can play a 60 person multiplayer game of Resistance 2 on the PS3 and it runs just as well as live. Same with COD4. I am not arguing about the game systems, I love my 360 and have the majority of games for the 360. It just annoys me that I have to pay for a service that is free for every other system. MS likes to screw us out of money as is evident by the prices that they charge for hardware like 360HDDs.

Its weird people always talk about "20 minutes to find a match on Gears 2".. I've never had to wait a long time. And MS is running a server to maintain your profile, like I said, you don't think your entire profile is saved on your 360 do ya?
SexyPorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SexyPorkins
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts
[QUOTE="adders99"]yes you have to pay.. and i mean i dont really care.. 80 buks a year wow! its nothing if you have the money to buy games and the console itself... for great online its worth it!KorruptRaiden
Its not the point, you pay your ISP for your internet service as he stated, and you expect to get the full access for free, i mean PSN is free but why not live?

I have you been on PSN? It's laughable. Sony is still in catch-up mode when it comes to console online functionality. I think that's a major reason why PSN is free, because if it wasn't then no one would play on it.
anjilslaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 anjilslaire
Member since 2002 • 347 Posts
(other than MMOs where the company is managing a profile for you on it's serves kyrissbp82
There's your answer right there. Your profile/scores are stored on MS servers...
Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

[QUOTE="KorruptRaiden"][QUOTE="adders99"]yes you have to pay.. and i mean i dont really care.. 80 buks a year wow! its nothing if you have the money to buy games and the console itself... for great online its worth it!SexyPorkins

I have you been on PSN? It's laughable. Sony is still in catch-up mode when it comes to console online functionality. I think that's a major reason why PSN is free, because if it wasn't then no one would play on it.

I have both a PS3 and a 360 and I can say that XBL is definetly not worth the $60 (in Canada). All I really care about is playing online. I really do like that party feature on XBL but I don't feel like that justifies my $60. I have had alot more lag on XBL than PSN, and I don't really care that I get demos earlier on the 360 than PS3. I will continue to pay for it though, sadely, since all my friends have Xbox

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

[QUOTE="SexyPorkins"][QUOTE="KorruptRaiden"] Its not the point, you pay your ISP for your internet service as he stated, and you expect to get the full access for free, i mean PSN is free but why not live?Da_lil_PimP

I have both a PS3 and a 360 and I can say that XBL is definetly not worth the $60 (in Canada). All I really care about is playing online. I really do like that party feature on XBL but I don't feel like that justifies my $60. I have had alot more lag on XBL than PSN, and I don't really care that I get demos earlier on the 360 than PS3. I will continue to pay for it though, sadely, since all my friends have Xbox

I have been an Xbox Live Subscriber sinse the original Xbox here in Canada and XBL has never given me any lag problems whatsoever. Call of Duty 4 runs fantastic, Gears of War ran fantastic, Gears 2's problems isn;t in Xbox Live Matchmaking, Its the reworked code done by Epic that bugged the crap out of it making it a joke.

I also have a PS3 and I have played Resistance and Socom Online with it quite a lot and the first problem right off the bat in both are Lag Issues because of Terrible Host servers. they constantly disconnect, Everyone complains on the Chat about it, And cheating is a problem sinse there is 0 Security. I have seen so many people cheating on the PS3 Online service because of the lack of security I stopped playing those games online. Killzone 2 looks like it will have great MP but it will be hacked and cheated inside a month like every other game on the network.

I have never had this problem on Xbox Live with cheaters because MS has security and BANS accounts. Now I hear Halo 3 has some cheaters but I don't play Halo because I think its a terrible excuse for a game but I rarely hear complaints because people get reported on XBL so fast if something is fishy its taken care of.

So many years online with the service and no complaints. Is it worth the cash? Every penny. For the Price of a game your online for a year. its not a huge sacrifice. Most of you who complain anyway are still in school and don't have much cash so I see the merit but thats Life. Get used to it.

Avatar image for TextingPrincess
TextingPrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TextingPrincess
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts
I don't care about the arguing over the price or anything, but I have never tried online gaming before. This thread has made me wonder what I am missing. I am living in the states, how do I get a gold membership?
rising141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rising141
Member since 2004 • 121 Posts

"Let me explain by making a comparison to PC Gaming. Let's say you are the game company Relic and you are going to make Company of Heroes for PC. What you have to do is create an online system to help players find each other, a system to rank the players based on their wins, a friends list to keep track of your friends, and a chat system so you can chat with people. That is a lot of programming to get all that running. And of course every game is going to do the same thing, so just because I have a friends list in Company of Heroes it is only for that game, I can't see that my friend is playing another game or chat with them. What Microsoft did was create the Xbox Live system that has all this programming in it to connect gamers together, allow voice chat, friends list, achievements, and a ranking system. Then they give all this information to a game developer who basically takes these prebuilt modules and plugs it into their game. Now they don't have to spend a bunch of time programming all those features in. The best part is it works across all games so I can chat with you even if we are playing different games. The only thing Xbox Live doesn't do is create dedicated servers to host the matches, the games are peer to peer. However lot's of PC games such as Company of Heroes are peer to peer as well. So basically Xbox Live does everything except host the match. The reason you pay for it is because at the time Xbox Live came out it was superior to anything on any console or even the computer, and Microsoft felt they could get people to pay for it. And people were willing to pay for it."

i found this nice explanation in another forum

Avatar image for luigismansion101
luigismansion101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 luigismansion101
Member since 2003 • 733 Posts
MS made over 1 billion last year off xbl. So why should they want to get rid of it? As long as everyone keeps paying to play, it's not going to be free. They tried charging for windows and guess what, PEOPLE DIDNT DO IT. The PC gamers were smart enough to realize, hey I was playing for free so why should I pay now? If we could all realize that as 360 owners we could get it to be free too. Just don't buy it and if MS starts losing enough money, they will stop charging for it. Until it is free, I just buy all multiplat games on the ps3 so that I can play online for free. I'm not going to spend the amount of money I could buy a brand new game with just to play the games I already own on XBL.
sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

Why should it be free?DriftRS

Cause... M$ isn't acctually doing anything worth being payed for...

Try LIVE, then go try PSN... now you know where your money went and why. If you wan`t the best, pay for it.
hoganms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 hoganms
Member since 2005 • 119 Posts
Look, anyone who complains about xbox live clearly has never played ps3's excuse for on line. I have both and I will never make the mistake of buying a ps3 version of a game over the 360 for the sole reason of on line capabilities. What am I talking about right? Things like mic's not working for the entire game (Battlefield bad company even after 2 pacthes). Ever played a game on line without a mic...pretty stupid. SOCOM confronttion...enough said. Understand that you pay a fee on xbox for a service that needs to be maintained. Since it brings in money, Microsoft can justify spending more money on it. PS3 probably has less leverage to convice Sony to spend more on it. I'll be if PS home doesn't get more people to buy systems or purchase stuff on line it will either go away or never be updated. Like I said, I have both and I wish PS3 would make me pay for on line services. Maybe then their on line capabilities wouldn't suck so bad.
moostified1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 moostified1
Member since 2003 • 40 Posts

DriftRS
Man I hear what ur saying because I was a lil reluctant on shelling out some dough to play on XBL especially being an advocate of WOW at the time on PC paying out about 15 bucks a month and on top of that paying out dough for demos in game magazines, remember that **** Now I pay to play on XBL @ 50 bucks a year to play all my multiplayer titles including demos over live with no additional fees on my gold account. I feel it's worth it. Sony has jumped on the band wagon as well to liven up the online aspect of game play. You might not pay to play on Sony however a few of my partners who have other consoles see how cool live is and wouldn't mind paying for it to have the interfacing live has. I say give it a try and if it's not up to ur expectations cancel it and get ur dough back, cha heard!
fbidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fbidog
Member since 2005 • 413 Posts
If you not able to pay 20 cents a day for the online service just found yourself a job...we have GTA IV and Fallout 3 download exclusive because we pay for the online service..with our money Microsoft pay the company doing this game to have download exclusive.That's all
heon2574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 heon2574
Member since 2003 • 215 Posts

[QUOTE="kyrissbp82"] (other than MMOs where the company is managing a profile for you on it's serves anjilslaire
There's your answer right there. Your profile/scores are stored on MS servers...

Your argument is flawed. All of it is stored free for Silver accounts too. My gamerscore on my free silver account is saved along with my friends list and the ability to send and receive messages. ALL OF IT is saved on MICROSOFT SERVERS. Xbox Live gold is indeed a rip off if you compare it to everything else because it only lets you play peer to peer with other players. That by itself isn't worth paying for IMO. Silver should include multiplayer at it's bare minimum and all DLC under silver should require MS points. Paying for gold should give you everything silver has but access to free DLC or heavily discounted content.

feldo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 feldo24
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

ok, so for around 30 dollars you get three months of Gold membership, and then pay $8 a month after that. I don't see how that isn't a good deal, why pay for a year of live which is considerably more expensive?

In response to someone complaining about an overheating Xbox, this is the best course of action: first time through, just suck it up and pay for the maintenance, because it will pay off in the long run. Once it does it again (and it will), when you call Support just freak out and complain a lot, and it will be done for free. If you get a third time at it, do the same and you will more than likely get some really good stuff for free from them (extra live cards, MS points, etc.). They love their customer support, so they always want you to be satisfied (much like hookers).

so buy an Xbox over a PS3, pay for the live and have a grand time sir

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
FIRST OFF-You don't pay ANYTHING for demos, you pay money for XBOX LIVE GOLD, You can get XBOX Live Silver but than you couldn't play online, aside from some rare weekends they let even silver members play some games online. You will want XBL GOLD. Advantages it has is you can go online and play multiplayer. You can join XBL parties to have a party of up to 8 players at a time using headsets to communicate and you will have access to all the exclusive demos and DLC. Silver members now get the demos weeks later, if at all. You can pay somewhere around 7 dollars a month or 50 dollars for 13 months, which is around 12 cents a day. Why they do this, they don't want to have people buying the console and just playing demos all the time. Sometimes demos are that good to where you CAN just play demos all the time. 50 dollars is not too much to ask for the nice demos they put out, I've found times where I only played demos. You've been playing video games for how long?? You've never paid money for a demo?? I've been playing video games since ATARI, I've been playing demos since PS1. You always had to buy the magazine and you get the demo. Sometimes they would have a good amount of games on there, I wouldn't even buy many games I would just play the demos. So why should they give you all these free demos without a one year subscription which isn't much?? They're starting to get a little better with their price now too. There's sales that go on that you can get a LIVE Gold subscription for $30 for 13 months. You get 3 months of Gold for buying Gears of War 2, there is starter kits that you get a headset, 3 months gold and 400 MS points for $30, it's a nice deal. ALSO, you get a free first month of Gold with your first 3 account signups. If you get an Elite it comes with an additional free 3 months. Enjoy. Don't anyone even bring up PS3 or Wii either, lol it's laughable. Their online doesn't come close to reaching the marker. I've heard PS3 was charging for demos individually and don't even have all the demos 360 gets for one, Wii doesn't even have demos for 2, and for 3 they both sell their versions of arcade games and originals I don't know if you think that should be free too.FELDO- The reasons why people would rather buy a year rather than every month is for one, it's easier. For your 13 months you ended up paying $110, the other people just paid $50, so that $60 is an extra game. Well if you think you'll be taking months away maybe your idea is better but people who feel that they will be using it the whole year or atleast 8 months would rather get a year. That is if you have the $50 to pay at once, for some people it is easier to pay one month at a time, others easier to pay at once, that's why they give the option. ENJOY
SexyPorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SexyPorkins
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts
Considering the price per year we pay for XBL you would think they could make a better console instead of one with a 60% failure rate within 2 years of purchase. Maybe the price of XBL is to pay for all those overheated, poorly made 360's to be fixed? Yes, i just had to send mine in for repair because of the 3 Rings of Death and it was WELL ventilated at all times as well as taken good care of. Microsoft is a money grubber. They charge for everything and ontop of that they make and then RELEASE faulty products (X360, Windows Vista, etc) They also hike the price up way too high for new DLC (the small amount of new game content you get for 800 microjunk points is plain ridiculous) They do whatever they want and get away with it. They get all that money and put it in their pockets instead ot making better products and giving something back to us. So ; 50 dollars a year. I guess its cheaper than paying shipping and repair charges. Waldkrieger
This kinda argument always makes me laugh...of course they are in it for the money! Microsoft is a business, all businesses are in business for the money! Yes, they rushed a product which turned out to have a few hardware problems, but I can guarantee you the next console will not have any major issues. Making better products? Xbox Live is the best online gaming system/service in existence.
Shika_Stoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shika_Stoner
Member since 2008 • 918 Posts

I've never had any complaints with my Xbox Live service. I've got a bad intenet connection and it doesn't lag all that much. Just to clear things up...DEMOS ARE FREE! TRAILERS ARE FREE! There is a mode that lets you party up with sven other people and talk and interact with each other while playing seperate games. That means I can t laugh at my friends getting raped at COD 4-5, Halo 3, GoW 1-2. While I sit back and play Fallout 3. Not to mention there is the free webcam features. You can chat face to face just like any webcam you would use for a PC. Like it's PC counterparts you have to buy the camera hardware of course. But some games have features that use this feature. Like the Command&Conquer 3 games. Then there is the downloadable games as well. You do have to pay for the XBL Arcade games but you can downlaod a free trial of the game. So you can play it before you decide to buy it. You also have to pay for the games on the Wii's Virtual Console right?

Then there is the exclusive downlaods for Fallout 3 and GTA 4. Which increase the story length of the games. But you don't have to have a Gold membership to get game content.

Is it worth it? That's up to you. To me it is. I don't even use the Webcam, Netflix or The XNA Creator's Club. I just use it to play games online and download new content for said games.