Can I play used Xbox360 games online?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tt_rss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tt_rss
Member since 2005 • 59 Posts
Hi. I realized that sites like Amazon sells really cheap used xbox360 games. If I buy one of those, will I be able to play it on xbox live, get achievements, leaderboards and coop as if it was new?
carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

yeah... I dont really see how it couldn't it's still the same game, its not like on a PC where you have a CD key or anything

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

yes for the most part. Only recently have some games started restricting online to used copies. The only games out right now that wont let you play online with a used copy are UFC 2010 and Tiger woods 2011. All Ea sports games are going to be using that model this year. Other than that though you should have no problem.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

Older ones yes but the newer EA games will have a 1 time code as well as some other companies games like UFC 2010. You can just buy the online access for I think it's $10 tho.

iJ4M35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iJ4M35
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Yeah course you can.
Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

Hi. I realized that sites like Amazon sells really cheap used xbox360 games. If I buy one of those, will I be able to play it on xbox live, get achievements, leaderboards and coop as if it was new?tt_rss

of course, buy used games at gamwstop all the time. I have only bought 3 new games for my xbox over the year. used is just as good as buying new except cheaper

BenwaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BenwaQ
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts

The only thing that tou will not be able to use are promo codes; such as points to spend in e-store (sims 3 points to spend at the Sims store) and donwlodable content for music games (free tunes to put in the game).

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts

yes for the most part. Only recently have some games started restricting online to used copies. The only games out right now that wont let you play online with a used copy are UFC 2010 and Tiger woods 2011. All Ea sports games are going to be using that model this year. Other than that though you should have no problem.

Gen007
With the new EA games and other companies that follow the new model, it's not that you won't ever be able to play online with a used game. Just that you will have to pay to unlock the online features if you buy it used. Any where up to $10.
Oniresurrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Oniresurrect
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

The only thing that tou will not be able to use are promo codes; such as points to spend in e-store (sims 3 points to spend at the Sims store) and donwlodable content for music games (free tunes to put in the game).

BenwaQ

Unless by some slight chance the person who owned it before you didn't use the code.

This forum is the first place I have heard of the one time use thing EA is pulling. I can see why they want to do this from a profit stand point, considering the amount of sports games I see for sale in the used bins in every game shop

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
The "used game online fee" doesn't bother me personally because I usually buy my sports games new on or close to release anyway. I like taking advantage of roster updates during a season etc. (Don't get into the whole "If only we were rich like you" argument. It's so ridiculous. If gaming is such a hit on you financially, then maybe you shouldn't be spending your money on a $300 console and focus on more important things like food and rent...But I digress...) I can understand how people could get upset about it. Why do we have to pay for features that have already been a part of the game? Yes, I get all that. But I don't think it is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Yes, you do get screwed if you try to buy a game used close to its release because the value of the game would not be down yet. But think about the fact that yearly sports games devalue at a much faster rate than other genres like RPG's or FPS's because of their yearly release rate. Within less than a year, the value of Madden, NBA 2K/Live, MLB 2K, NHL, Tiger Woods, etc. go down exponentially, especially right before the next year's game is released. If you do choose to buy a used sports game in that time period, you're already paying so much less for it, that a $10 fee would be almost negligible. But on top of that, if you are buying a used sports game around a year after its release, you probably aren't buying it for its online capabilities anyway. Because at that point, the majority of the game's online community would have moved on to next year's game and any season support like roster updates would no longer be supported by the developers anyway, in favor of the new game.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
Hi. I realized that sites like Amazon sells really cheap used xbox360 games. If I buy one of those, will I be able to play it on xbox live, get achievements, leaderboards and coop as if it was new?tt_rss
Of course! A lot of people I know like to purchase used games simply for the cheaper price. I personally don't buy used games.
max-Emadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 max-Emadness
Member since 2009 • 1781 Posts

y not they are still xbox 360 games

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JoshChambers
Member since 2004 • 1646 Posts

Yes you can but you have to work the math. Most new games that are being sold used are only $5 off from full price. If you are purchasing a EA Sports game or the recent UFC game then that $5 savings is not worth the $10 you hav to pay EA/THQ if you want to play online.

No one else has mentioned either that a LOT of games are giving you exclusive content if you buy new now. Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield BC 2 are great examples. Both of these games have give quite a few FREE DLC packs for people who bought the game new and entered the code. If you buy used and want the same content you have to pay $15 to get it.

Long story short - before you buy used do some research to see if their is any content you may be missing out on. Right now chances are good you will be ok unless its a new sports game but in a years time I expect this to be the norm.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Most of em yes, but allot of the newly released titles and soon to be released ones like the new Tiger Woods game etc. requires you to purchase an activation code to play multiplayer.
SaaM-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaaM-x
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

Yeh used games work perfectly fine online. The only exceptions are the games EA are going to be bringing out which require a code to play online. This is supposed to stop people purchasing used games and make them buy games new. But as of now, yes used games are fine for online play.