bringing retro back............. Goldeneye

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sm0k3dinYAfac5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sm0k3dinYAfac5
Member since 2009 • 70 Posts
me and my buddies were talking about old video games when goldeneye came up.. then i thougth it would be sweet if they revamped it to todays graphics and bolld adn gore standards it would be a huge hit... i dunno... whats yalls take?
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

If goldeneye was remade entirely up to todays standards it would suck, what made goldeneye fun was its uniqueness and freshness it had on the N64 which would be totally lost translating it into this era of shooters. It would be bland and uninteresting compared to other titles.

I wish Microsoft and Nintendo would have been able to settle the ownership rights dispute over the original so it could have been re-released digitally on modern consoles but nope the big N had to cry about it.

sm0k3dinYAfac5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sm0k3dinYAfac5
no....... i dont mean like make it all COD like.. im saying to like redo graphics and visuals and effects. not like change the whole game.. if they touched the missions or story or anyhting it would suck.. i meant graphics and thats stuff. not changing the game
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

If goldeneye was remade entirely up to todays standards it would suck, what made goldeneye fun was its uniqueness and freshness it had on the N64 which would be totally lost translating it into this era of shooters. It would be bland and uninteresting compared to other titles.

I wish Microsoft and Nintendo would have been able to settle the ownership rights dispute over the original so it could have been re-released digitally on modern consoles but nope the big N had to cry about it.

Ket87
I agree with the first thing that you said but the second not so much. Because MS could just as easily stop their whining and let Nintendo do what they will with the game that they had a large role in its creation. But then there is also Activision who owns the Bond license so that is another problem. MS isn't a victim here.
Kaos39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Kaos39
Member since 2007 • 695 Posts
Yes but just upgrading the graphics and all would make it just like today's FPS. Back when GoldenEye was popular it was one of the only real good FPS, but now there is so many to choose from it wouldn't be as good, when you compare it to games like COD and Halo, because back then you didn't really have anything to compare it to. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it, but I don't think it would achieve the same success.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ket87
Rare tried to do exactly what you just said then but they were stopped by Nintendo. Its impossible to touch up the game like you said because Microsoft owns the rights to the game itself and Nintendo owns the publishing rights. Rare was trying to touch up the graphics and everything so it could be re-released but Nintendo freaked out and stopped them from doing it. So sorry bud they can bring it back in the way you want. The only way Goldeneye could be brought back is if they actually do a full on remake which would be terrible.
sm0k3dinYAfac5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sm0k3dinYAfac5
yeah... i mean who wouldn;t love to see it, it is one of the best. like i know like todays shooters are ridiculously amazing and like yall said i dont think it would achieve the same sucess but it was just a thought and would be fricken sweet to see
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ket87
[QUOTE="Ket87"]

Sepewrath

I agree with the first thing that you said but the second not so much. Because MS could just as easily stop their whining and let Nintendo do what they will with the game that they had a large role in its creation. But then there is also Activision who owns the Bond license so that is another problem. MS isn't a victim here.

Yeah but it wasn't Nintendo who was trying to bring the game back it was Microsoft/Rare who were trying to release it on the Arcade, Activision can't say jack regardless of owning the Bond license because Rare developed the game before Activision bought the rights thus GoldenEye64 is Rare's intellectual property not Activision, but because Nintendo funded the game Rare ca't do anything with because they are owned by Microsoft. Nintendo had no plans to put the game on virtual console but Rare was 2 or 3 months away from completing a XBLA release of the game before Nintendo took legal action. It is Nintendo's fault the game never was rereleased not Activisions.

Avatar image for Azwethinkweiz89
Azwethinkweiz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Azwethinkweiz89
Member since 2008 • 196 Posts
There is a long story to this. Rare had remade the game with hd-graphics, online play for XBLA. Microsoft pay for the rights, Activision approve it since they'll be getting money without spending a dime. But Nintendo threated Activision to pull the Guitar Hero name off the Wii thus Activision backing out. I say put in Perfect Dark for XBLA, I found it better then Goldeneye IMO.
sm0k3dinYAfac5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sm0k3dinYAfac5
well here is another point tho... look at some of the other bong games they have tried to make.. i mean not one other bond game surpassed goldeneye... except maybe the new one? i dunno.. but like it has potential to do really really well. cuz the other bond games people were looking to be similar and better werent up to par
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ket87

well here is another point tho... look at some of the other bong games they have tried to make.. i mean not one other bond game surpassed goldeneye... except maybe the new one? i dunno.. but like it has potential to do really really well. cuz the other bond games people were looking to be similar and better werent up to parsm0k3dinYAfac5

Regardless of being potentially good it is impossible to be made because the rights to the game are spread among too many companies for it to ever happen. Only way for GoldenEye to resurface is pretty much what Activision has already done, make a game and slap on the GoldenEye namesake, they did it because nothing else could be done and at least the name would help it sell but it sucked.

Besides no company in their right mind would pay to develop a remake a of 10 year old game based on an almost 15 year old movie. A reissue was the only proper chance the game had but licensing and greed beat that chance out.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
I rather them not but that game out on the Arcade. Golden Eye has not aged well.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Activision does have say in what is considered a new release, it may be an old game but they are still selling something with the Bond license. Its a change of format and distribution, they have as much say as Nintendo does. Anyway what would you do if you were Nintendo let MS make bank off of something that you could, and its not like MS would let Nintendo release it on the VC. There's no blame to go around because every company wants to make money off it and stop the others from making money. Its caught up in a 3way tug of war and will likely never see a winner. Goldeneye was great in its time but its pretty lackluster by today's standards updating the graphics wont change that, its controls have not withstood the test of time. Changing those controls and other what are now viewed as flaws will ruin what made it revolutionary and make it just another shooter. Goldeneye is best left in the past where nostalgia will always keep it great.
sm0k3dinYAfac5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sm0k3dinYAfac5
true. i was just saying ideas.. haha... i just thought it would be cool to see tho.
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
they could make it a big arcade game
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

after seeing what they did to Vigilante 8, NO!

Do not make a Goldeneye remastered edition!!!

I can't believe I payed 800 points for that trash of a game... So not worth it, the game is so broken and glitchy; I get sick looking at it in my game library. The same would happen to Goldeneye if they remade it. I know the Banjo-Kazooie remake is great on XBLA but I doubt they(Rare) would have the same success with Goldeneye(just look @ Perfect Dark).

jagsxxfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jagsxxfan
Member since 2008 • 473 Posts
i dont care what anyone says, golden eye is theeeeeeeeeeee best game ever!
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
no thanks....i like the game the way it is
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

Ket87
There remaking halflife for pc and i know it will be fantastic! i don't see why Goldeneye would be any different.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Goldeneye with Live support and revamped graphics would be one of the best-selling XBLA games of all time. If they can ever clear the license with Ninty, I'll be elated.
Mikedogg05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mikedogg05
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts

Ket87
qft
Wunderkid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wunderkid7
Member since 2008 • 247 Posts

Activision does have say in what is considered a new release, it may be an old game but they are still selling something with the Bond license. Its a change of format and distribution, they have as much say as Nintendo does. Anyway what would you do if you were Nintendo let MS make bank off of something that you could, and its not like MS would let Nintendo release it on the VC. There's no blame to go around because every company wants to make money off it and stop the others from making money. Its caught up in a 3way tug of war and will likely never see a winner. Goldeneye was great in its time but its pretty lackluster by today's standards updating the graphics wont change that, its controls have not withstood the test of time. Changing those controls and other what are now viewed as flaws will ruin what made it revolutionary and make it just another shooter. Goldeneye is best left in the past where nostalgia will always keep it great. Sepewrath

Allowing Nintendo to release Goldeneye on the VC was part of the deal. Nintendo just didn't want to allow MS to release it so it is their fault. I do not blame them though because, though I can not back it up, I think Goldeneye would sell better on the Xbox.