Boss Battles are stupid!

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zcrimson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Zcrimson07
Member since 2004 • 3493 Posts
Am i the only one that cannot stand boss battles? they are by far my least favorite part of any video game and i honestly wish they would just be removed. right now i'm playing through ninja gaiden 1 and i love the game except the bosses. they do nothing but piss me off and i dont even feel satisfied once they're dead its just like ok whatever lets get the next guy. RAAM was the worst part of Gears too imo.
EvilDude456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 EvilDude456
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
Hehehe. Yah! In Ninja Gaiden 2 the first boss that looks cool pisses me off real bad. It takes me 4 or 5 trys to kill him.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
BOSS BATTLES MAKE VIDEO GAMES.............EPIC!!!!!:twisted:
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts
Boss battles are the staple of video games...they'll never go away. Even casual games like Guitar Hero have boss battles now.
tgh93_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 tgh93_29
Member since 2007 • 1483 Posts
BOSS BATTLES MAKE VIDEO GAMES.............EPIC!!!!!:twisted: clayron
All the way
ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
lol entering this thread I knew it would be about ninja gaiden. yes they are hard, but I like them.
Prospector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Prospector
Member since 2003 • 993 Posts
yeah, ninja gaiden made me dislike boss battles, they're so frickin tough in that game
XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts
BOSS BATTLES MAKE VIDEO GAMES.............EPIC!!!!!:twisted: clayron
lol that reply loks funny beside your user pict
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
depends on the game. I like boss battles and the only thing that could really ruin it for me at the slightest would be not having a save point anywhere nearby.
Avatar image for TheActionFigure
TheActionFigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheActionFigure
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts
When done right, boss battles can be fun as hell (I'm looking at you Super Mario 3 & World). But for alot of games it seems like the developers just throw them in there for tradition. Most of the time, in my opinion, it breaks the mechanic of an otherwise awesome game just to give you an enemy with a pattern to remember.
TrueProphecy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 TrueProphecy22
Member since 2005 • 1757 Posts

Hehehe. Yah! In Ninja Gaiden 2 the first boss that looks cool pisses me off real bad. It takes me 4 or 5 trys to kill him. EvilDude456

Really? Maybe you should try Acolyte... because that first boss is a cakewalk compared to the others.

As to the topic. I enjoy boss battles, they are what make RPG's great. They break up the pace, spike up the difficulty, and they usually push forward the story.

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
I dont mind them but as long as there not to many of them
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

ng has always been hard what do you expect for them to change it now it worked before so why screw with it

killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts
I love boss battles. Zelda wouldn't be much without those epic boss battles.
I-AM-THE-G-MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 I-AM-THE-G-MAN
Member since 2008 • 222 Posts
no, i disagree. it depends on what type of game they occur in if its a game like turok for example your a guy which is just as strong as any other in the real world and its insulting to see the pre-set safe points and obvious ways in which to kill a boss. but in devil may cry 4 for example you are a near invincible skilled blademaster yearning for a challenge in the form of a boss battle. all depends
Lord_Tik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lord_Tik
Member since 2002 • 888 Posts
If you don't like boss battles, I'd suggest you play some puzzle games. I don't think there's any boss battles in solitare or free cell.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#17 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I love boss battles, i think games would be alot worse off without bosses.

Boss battles challenge your skill of gaming and i couldnt imagine games without bosses or hard parts at the end of the game or levels.

Glad your not the one making games lol :lol:

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
i think they add an extra dimension to fantasy games (realistic games like GTA IV and R6 vegas where theres a boss battle just seems stupid, if they had them) but other than that i think they are fun, a good challenge, but its when the boss becomes too insanely hard to beat is when theres an issue
tgh93_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tgh93_29
Member since 2007 • 1483 Posts
I love boss battles, i think games would be alot worse off without bosses.kozzy1234
Unfortunatley they appear to be dying out.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#20 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]I love boss battles, i think games would be alot worse off without bosses.tgh93_29
Unfortunatley they appear to be dying out.

mmmmmm, Gears of war, NInja Gaiden 1 and 2, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, The Witcher, AOC, Mass Effect, Vegas 2, etc...

tons of games still have bosses in them man

kreider204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 kreider204
Member since 2003 • 2519 Posts
Boss battles can be well done, but often, they just feel artificial, and end up being either frustrting or too easy once you find the trick to it. Halo: CE didn't have boss fights, and I didn't miss it.
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts

I live for boss battles.

Go play RE4, that is a prime example of how bosses should be, amazing encounters.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
try playing cod4 or halo 3. There's no boss to speak of, except an angry guilty spark, whos pethetically easy to kill.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Sometimes, but they make the game more memorable sometimes.
Avatar image for thedudeguardian
thedudeguardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thedudeguardian
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts

obviously boss battles r one of the reasons a game is fun

i wud not want to go through a whole game fighitng or killing random weak monsters

in an action/adventure game such as devil may cry, the boss battles r the only challenging factor

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
it really depends on how they make the boss battle in my opinion. Yes, I really dislike it when Boss's are cheap and have tons of health. Because it makes the game less believable. However, if it is handled the way such as the scarab battles in Halo3, then it makes it fun for me, because it makes sense. Ninja Gaiden sort of makes sense with the larger creatures, but I dislike fighting other humans, because they cheat so much. lol.
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

obviously boss battles r one of the reasons a game is fun

i wud not want to go through a whole game fighitng or killing random weak monsters

in an action/adventure game such as devil may cry, the boss battles r the only challenging factor

thedudeguardian

I don't know about you, but I think the original Halo did a great job of not including boss battles, but just throwing tons of regular enemies at you.

Zcrimson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zcrimson07
i would like to update everyone on my ng status..i beat doku after about 40 consecutive (and very frustrating minutes) and didnt feel much better after except relieved it was over and now i'm on a lava worm which, while not that hard, is frustrating me nonetheless and making me not want to play it. to me bosses can be okay if they arent TOO bad but i have actually stopped playing games in the past because of boss battles. they just get me out of the groove of the game and i stop wanting to play.
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
I think in most games there fun. I like to focus on just one guy and just do everything i can to kill him, with a bunch of little guys it gets to simple most of the time. IMO
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
You need bosses, otherwise it would be so...anti-climactic.
kreider204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 kreider204
Member since 2003 • 2519 Posts
You need bosses, otherwise it would be so...anti-climactic.Mau-Justice
Again I say: Halo 1.
LifeToDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LifeToDarkness
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts
Boss Battles are the ultimate ending to any game, would you rather just go into a dungeon go to the end and Your princess is in another castle? no you want a boss battle before that. I love boss battles in all games really :P
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

Hehehe. Yah! In Ninja Gaiden 2 the first boss that looks cool pisses me off real bad. It takes me 4 or 5 trys to kill him. EvilDude456

This is the problem. People expect to be able to beat a boss on their first try. Games have become too easy in recent years and people now think if a game, or part of a game, causes you to die then it's bad. It isn't bad. Bosses are supposed to be hard.

In Ninja Gaidens case, TC, I know this might be hard to believe but when you get better at NG you will actually start to look forward to the boss battles. They're awesome. It takes a while to get really good. I've played through Ninja Gaiden more times than I can count. If you die it's your fault. You aren't good enough yet.

If you're playing NGB once you start playing on hard you have to fight the boss and two or three normal enemies at the same time. It's crazy. Sounds impossible to someone new to these games but it isn't. I've completed NGB on hard.

Zcrimson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zcrimson07
the thing is "x-2tha-z" i just dont wanna invest that much time into it. i wanna be able to beat a boss on my 3rd or 4th time max. i dont care if i die a few times learning what the boss does, but when the camera is at an awkward angle and it makes it hard to judge how far and where exactly i'm jumping to i get pissed at the camera.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 x-2tha-z

the thing is "x-2tha-z" i just dont wanna invest that much time into it. i wanna be able to beat a boss on my 3rd or 4th time max. i dont care if i die a few times learning what the boss does, but when the camera is at an awkward angle and it makes it hard to judge how far and where exactly i'm jumping to i get pissed at the camera. Zcrimson07

Well quit then. You've got two choices. Keep trying or quit. We all went through what you're going through when we first played Ninja Gaiden. Do you think you're the only person to find it hard? Maybe you should get Ninja Gaiden Black and play on easy mode (Ninja Dog).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

yeah, ninja gaiden made me dislike boss battles, they're so frickin tough in that gameProspector

That big dragon in NG1, ZOMG i raged so hard trying to beat that thing, took like a billion tries. I could beat everything else fine but just that damn dragon ugh!!!!! Still boss battles are always epic.

ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts

KOTOR says hello... Zelda says hello... Metroid Prime says hello... Mass Effect says hello... Devil May Cry says hello....

need I go on?

I-AM-THE-G-MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 I-AM-THE-G-MAN
Member since 2008 • 222 Posts
try playing cod4 or halo 3. There's no boss to speak of, except an angry guilty spark, whos pethetically easy to kill.mohfrontline
what about scarabs?? theyre pretty boss like...
gamer_10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamer_10001
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

I like boss battles.

They do have their problems:

Poor design is one,

and in realistic games is another.

Take the end of Rainbow Six Vegas 2. I feel that battle encompases both these aspects.

Zcrimson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zcrimson07

[QUOTE="Zcrimson07"]the thing is "x-2tha-z" i just dont wanna invest that much time into it. i wanna be able to beat a boss on my 3rd or 4th time max. i dont care if i die a few times learning what the boss does, but when the camera is at an awkward angle and it makes it hard to judge how far and where exactly i'm jumping to i get pissed at the camera. x-2tha-z

Well quit then. You've got two choices. Keep trying or quit. We all went through what you're going through when we first played Ninja Gaiden. Do you think you're the only person to find it hard? Maybe you should get Ninja Gaiden Black and play on easy mode (Ninja Dog).

im dealing with it and i will beat it on normal but i'm just saying i dont wanna invest the time to beat it on hard or anything
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Boss battles are neccessary for my gaming experience. They provide epic game experiences. I love them, if they went away from gaming, I would also.
occidental

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 occidental
Member since 2004 • 101 Posts
I agree somewhat if you mean boss battles in the traditional Contra or Metal Gear sense where you are fighting a super-enemy. Most newer games don/'t have to include them in the same way. Although most current games do incorporate them to some extent; even RPGs like Mass Effect when you are storming a base where the enemies are better equipped/higher level than other areas and their leader is tougher/better armed than his goons. This kind of boss battle is an evolution of the same concept except it is an area or mimssion of greater difficulty opposed to a single difficult encounter. Really depends on the nature of the game and it's format. (who wants to play Ikaruga without the boss fights?)
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="EvilDude456"]Hehehe. Yah! In Ninja Gaiden 2 the first boss that looks cool pisses me off real bad. It takes me 4 or 5 trys to kill him. x-2tha-z

This is the problem. People expect to be able to beat a boss on their first try. Games have become too easy in recent years and people now think if a game, or part of a game, causes you to die then it's bad. It isn't bad. Bosses are supposed to be hard.

In Ninja Gaidens case, TC, I know this might be hard to believe but when you get better at NG you will actually start to look forward to the boss battles. They're awesome. It takes a while to get really good. I've played through Ninja Gaiden more times than I can count. If you die it's your fault. You aren't good enough yet.

If you're playing NGB once you start playing on hard you have to fight the boss and two or three normal enemies at the same time. It's crazy. Sounds impossible to someone new to these games but it isn't. I've completed NGB on hard.

yes bosses arent suppose to be done in one try, its when it takes days to complete where i just couldnt care anymore, and it probably means im not good enough, but i dont have the time (or the patience) to play that much

brnf0rce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 brnf0rce
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts
I think games should go the other way. look at Shadow of Collusus....... all boss battles
p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts

Boss battles are alright unless those bosses are cheating s.o.b.s who kill you straight away

Coffee_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Coffee_Blade
Member since 2008 • 707 Posts

Boss battles are okay. Really depends on the game though, I hate when they get randomly shoved into places in some games. What would megaman be without boss battles

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 x-2tha-z
[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]

[QUOTE="Zcrimson07"]the thing is "x-2tha-z" i just dont wanna invest that much time into it. i wanna be able to beat a boss on my 3rd or 4th time max. i dont care if i die a few times learning what the boss does, but when the camera is at an awkward angle and it makes it hard to judge how far and where exactly i'm jumping to i get pissed at the camera. Zcrimson07

im dealing with it and i will beat it on normal but i'm just saying i dont wanna invest the time to beat it on hard or anything

The thing about NG's bosses is they don't follow a pattern like bosses in other games. You have to keep watching it. It does give subtle signs about what it's going to do next.

The lava worm shouldn't be too hard to beat. You can block the move it does when it swoops down with its body. You're invincible for a short time when you roll so if you time your roll right the ring of fire it shoots at you won't hit you. Also, if you stand on the end of the right of the screen, just in front of the lava, when the worm swoops down it will completely miss you, once it's laying still just roll over to it and hit it as many times as you can with your DS then move back to the right of the screen.

If you got the windmill shurikan it will also inflict damage. Just keep throwing it at the worm while it's moving in and out of the doorway.

Tsunami23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Tsunami23
Member since 2004 • 1352 Posts
Painkiller for the PC= Most epic bosses ever
BIGKILLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BIGKILLA
Member since 2003 • 795 Posts
Video games just wouldn't be the same without boss battles.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
if the bosses are huge with great set pieces why not. and yea i like boss battles even if small.