Are you obsessed with achievements?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tyuzfuny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 tyuzfuny
Member since 2004 • 666 Posts
Just wondering what everyone thinks about achievements. For me, I got with #2.
DV8Sharkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DV8Sharkey
Member since 2004 • 435 Posts

2 myself.I only have a little over 4k out of 16k I could have total from the games I own. I have just recently started actually attempting to get them purposely. It does seem to add more gameplay to games I had forgotten about. I also just realized I didn't get any for beating Quake or Saints row because of cheats, I am now playing through them again to get the achievements.

I'll probably never make it to 10k, unless it's years from now. I just don't have time to game that often.

xitwenty20ix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 xitwenty20ix
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

YES! I play my games until I have 1000/1000, 1250/1250 or 200/200I had 12k on my other account but they didn't feel like achievements as I used King Kong and games like that for easy achievements. So now I started new, got Bomberman LIVE, Shadowrun and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and I am not going to stop playing them until I have all achievements and I am going to do as many as I can legitemately and only boost ifI feel like I need to.

Achievements do give replayvalue which is why I love them, I wouldn't do half the stuff I do without the achievements.

tyuzfuny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tyuzfuny

YES! I play my games until I have 1000/1000, 1250/1250 or 200/200I had 12k on my other account but they didn't feel like achievements as I used King Kong and games like that for easy achievements. So now I started new, got Bomberman LIVE, Shadowrun and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and I am not going to stop playing them until I have all achievements and I am going to do as many as I can legitemately and only boost ifI feel like I need to.

Achievements do give replayvalue which is why I love them, I wouldn't do half the stuff I do without the achievements.

xitwenty20ix

Hardcore!

:D

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts
They don't really give you anything, but they do offer some replay value; this is especially true with live arcade games. Achievements give classicgames, such as Sonic The Hedgehog and Double Dragon, more replay value than ever before.
broke812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 broke812
Member since 2003 • 970 Posts
boosting is for people who suck.
RamboSymbiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RamboSymbiot
Member since 2007 • 6302 Posts
Hell no, there overatted
fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
The first few weeks after getting the 360 i use to love going after achievements but it was making me play the games different and it was taking the enjoyment out of it since then i have totally forgot about achievement points and just play the games like i use to and if i get achievements along the way great if i dont so what.
cecx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 cecx
Member since 2004 • 10568 Posts
I like them because sometimes they give me that extra motivation to finish a game, and it provides proof that I have done certain things when I talk to my friends.
-Gaming_God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Gaming_God-
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts

Yup i am addicted to achievements. Every game I get I do every thing in my power to get every single achievement for every game I buy.

NismoNissan41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NismoNissan41
Member since 2003 • 432 Posts
THe achievements help to filter out the loosers and the people with lives. I when Hapo 3 comes out they should have the online seprate people unders 2000 points and put them in game rooms so they can play casual and have fun. I hve a had xbox 360 since laucnh and all I have is a little over 1000 points.
bucknut85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 bucknut85
Member since 2007 • 355 Posts

I like getting acheivements... but if a game is awful, like Marvel Ultimate alliance, i dont even try to get them.

ive started renting games more often than i buy them, that way if they are good i can play them for a while, collect all the acheivements, and then take it back. But if they suck, i take them back to Blockbuster immediatly

SB992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SB992
Member since 2003 • 511 Posts

THe achievements help to filter out the loosers and the people with lives. I when Hapo 3 comes out they should have the online seprate people unders 2000 points and put them in game rooms so they can play casual and have fun. I hve a had xbox 360 since laucnh and all I have is a little over 1000 points. NismoNissan41

Um, that's what gamer zones are for.

The only time I've ever been obsessed with achievements is Dead Rising. Everything else, I just get what I've done.

Demokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Demokk
Member since 2006 • 303 Posts
I'm not obsessed with them, but they actually motivate me to finish 100% the games.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
At first i thought they were a good little touch. But now..people are so obsessed by them, and actually judge you as a person by them that I feel pressured to get as many of them as I can. I find myself playing games I hate for alot longer than Id want to just so I can get a few more points.

Damn you peer pressure!
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts

Yes, I would consider myself to be "obsessed". Before I get a game I check to see if the achievements are hard, and I play the game until I get all of the achievements.

I used to go out of my way to rent crappy games just to get easy achievements, but I don't do that anymore.

mistermagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mistermagic
Member since 2004 • 212 Posts
no
tyuzfuny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tyuzfuny

THe achievements help to filter out the loosers and the people with lives. I when Hapo 3 comes out they should have the online seprate people unders 2000 points and put them in game rooms so they can play casual and have fun. I hve a had xbox 360 since laucnh and all I have is a little over 1000 points. NismoNissan41

Well that's pretty harsh.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I am not obsessed with achievements. I like getting them and I do go for them but I don't go out of my way to get an achievement or anything. They do add replay value to games and for that I like them. I am definitely not one of those addicted people or anything though but I think if thats what they like doing, fair enough. As long as people have fun, whether its playing the game to get achievements or not. :)
gdizzle4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gdizzle4545
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

as long as i have at least half of the available achievements im good.

i just dont like to see stuff like 395/1000. idk why it just makes me feel weird..

r4f431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 r4f431
Member since 2006 • 151 Posts
Im not realy obbsessed but i like the feeling of acomplishment when i get an achievement. They can get me to play something longer than i usually would without achievements
This-is-SPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 This-is-SPARTA
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts

Yes, I am obsessed with achievements. I mean i played 4-6 hours a day of gears for about 6 months for my seriously achievement and all the others, after that I swore never to pick the game up again. Then the new achievements came out and i couldn't help myself spent about 2 weeks getting them i admit i had to set up the inconceivable achievement but i wanted them all so bad. Yes, I am obsessed so obsessed it caused me to cheat for an achievement.

Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shade-Blade
Member since 2007 • 4930 Posts
Ill go for some of them if I can easily get them in campaign mode without really trying for the first 2 or 3 playthroughs and after I play the multiplayer for a week or 2, then Ill go for the achievements whenever I feel/Get around to it.
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
I like em. Not obsessed though but its one of the main reasons Id rather buy multiplatform titles for 360 than for ps3.
SpootyHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpootyHead
Member since 2005 • 2702 Posts
Not really. My friends just compete with them though. I don't really care about them unless I am bored.
Avatar image for sublimdeathinal
sublimdeathinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sublimdeathinal
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

i see why people like them but i really dont care for them. i know people who pay for MS points and rent games just to get achievments on the games which is overdoing it a bit imo. a friend of mine bought tetris for $30 dollars for an easy 1k ponts. he hasnt played it since he got the points which took roughly 9 hours. i dont buy any game that doesnt have replay value which doesnt take much for me. heck i replay splinter cell over and over again just because i love pulling people off ledges and through ice :P.

just my 2...or 8 or some odd amount of cents :)

tyuzfuny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tyuzfuny

as long as i have at least half of the available achievements im good.

i just dont like to see stuff like 395/1000. idk why it just makes me feel weird..

gdizzle4545

It's hard to get half, though.

MarineXXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MarineXXII
Member since 2007 • 1583 Posts
i think its an innovative idea but Microsoft should award us for achieving high scores
CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
I find achievements actually make the games worse. The game it self should have me wanting to play it, not some imaginary points that have no real value.
bamafan3414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 bamafan3414
Member since 2006 • 489 Posts
I like them because sometimes they give me that extra motivation to finish a game, and it provides proof that I have done certain things when I talk to my friends.cecx
True that
computerk2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 computerk2002
Member since 2005 • 180 Posts
Not at all (Goes back to playing TMNT and Madden 06)
sens_rocks_40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sens_rocks_40
Member since 2004 • 1135 Posts
yep, i think achievments are great, they give u something to strive for while playing a game, so if you're bored you can be like, you know what i'm gonna go for this achievment, it gives you something to do
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

I voted the second option. While I'm not obsessed with achievement points, I find they give me more incentive to go back and play games that I would otherwise set aside and forget. Often times, those are games that I enjoyed quite a bit, and would like to play through again, but just never got around to it.

I've also been finding that with the achievement points, there are a few games, subpar or otherwise not that appealing to me, that I'll stick with a bit just to see what I can unlock.

To be honest, they're also enough of an incentive for me to get a game on the 360 rather than some other system. It's fun to unlock a lot of them, and I always get some satisfaction out of seeing the unlocked message. Especially when it was for something that seems more or less random that occurs over the course of playing the game.

TheRedStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheRedStrike
Member since 2007 • 603 Posts
I like earning them, and trying to get higher gamerscore than my friends. Not really obsessed with them, though.
badgert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 badgert
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts
I think there fun sometimes, I really like trying to get "Seriously" in GOW for example but some are kinda pointless.
badgert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 badgert
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts
I think there fun sometimes, I really like trying to get "Seriously" in GOW for example but some are kinda pointless.
TarnishedSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TarnishedSoul
Member since 2002 • 12151 Posts
I'm obsessed with achievements.
Adramelech-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Adramelech-
Member since 2004 • 1221 Posts
Not at all. In fact, I find the concept kind of awful. Seriously, if worthless, imaginary points on an internet profile are providing you with incentive to play games... might want to rethink some things. This is like posting on GS just to boost your user level or something. Some developers can do fun things with achievements, but nothing that couldn't be rewarded without the system in place, or it being tied to the "gamerscore" system. I know, maybe I'm just remembering Ye Olden Tymes when people played games because they were fun or made up challenges because they were hard.
SpootyHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SpootyHead
Member since 2005 • 2702 Posts
I do retaract my earlier statement. I find that achievement points are alright:
1. you are given a lame game *cough*FuzionFrenzy2*cough* and the achievements are easy. only reason I bothered playing it.
2. you are bored and want some reason to play a game that you have missed achievements.
HoovenWannabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HoovenWannabe
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts
I am in love with achievements. I invite my friends over when they rent a new game, because I have a HD tv and they play the game on my hard drive so I can get the achievements haha.
Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts
no, they're a good idea but i don't 1000 every game i have. i only play them as long as their fun still
Avatar image for DarkheroLaShade
DarkheroLaShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkheroLaShade
Member since 2007 • 215 Posts
Achievements are nice but I don't really see a point to them.
goallie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 goallie
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts
Somewhat, if there is an east achievement to get, I'll get it, but I'm not going to spend all my time trying to get the "seriously" achievement on GOW, or other outrageous ones like that.
Motara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Motara
Member since 2004 • 97 Posts

I like the achievement points, I don't care who sees the points but when I get a good achievement I get off the coach and yell "BOOM BABY" or "Hell YEAH! Thats right". My wife just shakes her head. Yeah, I'm pretty lame.

I think it does add some replay value to games, gives you a nice goal to work towards--I don't cheat on them though--who the heck cares what my score it anyway?

Deluxe73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Deluxe73
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts

Do you even play any games on it?

Nesmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nesmaster
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Me = highly addicted. I go for as many as I can get before going nuts.
Avatar image for ProductNumber49
ProductNumber49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ProductNumber49
Member since 2006 • 3840 Posts

xitwenty20ix

Where is your soul?

Reigun147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Reigun147
Member since 2005 • 788 Posts
nah, if i finish every difficulty level of the single story, i'm done with the game. unless the multiplayer is nice.