Arbiter in Halo 3! 4 sure

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

oudman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 oudman
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

If you look closely at the gameplay footage of the halo 3 documentary you can see some brutes charging the arbitor in a corner. Does this mean he will take over half the game again? What do you think?

- I hope not, Master Chief missions were/are a lot better

Kash_1095

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Kash_1095
Member since 2005 • 3606 Posts
Well since the Arbiter is Essential to the story now, he has to be in Besides he's a cool character. They just gotta make his missions better
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SymphonicWaves
Member since 2006 • 832 Posts
Of course he's in it. They can't just make him disapear.
goez3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 goez3000
Member since 2003 • 482 Posts
i think they might not be playable, but the hell if i know
Dopemonk736

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dopemonk736
Member since 2006 • 2731 Posts
plz say no arbiter, plz!!!!!!! Just MC, please!!!!!!!!! I hate the arbiter
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SymphonicWaves
If they make his levels fun, why hate him? He's just another character model, and he's more fleshed out then Mc for sure as far as a character goes.
JohnWinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JohnWinger
Member since 2007 • 1903 Posts

Of course he's in it. They can't just make him disapear.SymphonicWaves

Or can they? :roll:

Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
I just hope you don't play as him. He's nowhere near as fun to play as the MC is.
fore_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 fore_runner
Member since 2004 • 8704 Posts
The Arbiter will naturally be there...it's a question of whether or not people will play as him.... I think you won't, or he is going to be completely reworked....due to the fact that Bungie listens to their fans, and the feedback has been generally negative in the aspect of the Arbiter.
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SymphonicWaves
Like I said, it's all about the levels he plays on.
IONz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 IONz
Member since 2006 • 310 Posts
Arbiter will be there. but we probably will only play as him for a couple of missions, the storyline in halo 3 revolves around the MC.
Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

I sure hope so.  The addition of his character was one of the overt ways that the campaign attempted to do more than the first game and I felt it was quite successful. 

The first Halo strongly hinted that the true evil in the Halo universe was The Flood and Halo 2 all but confirmed it.  The Elites are now an integral part of the victory story and I sure would like to play that part instead of simply seeing it in a cut scene.

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts
I think we may fight along side the arbiter in this game even, I dont think they should have him in the game though. Lot of people didn't like it as the same happened with MGS with Raidon and look what happened to their userbase after it.

Same thing won't happen but just saying stick with your guns when you got a good thing like MC. People love him and when you play seperate character you change the game a bit in that FPS are usually you are the character and you become that person. In halo 2 you were 2 people so it's not the same thing. Although I didn't mind the Arbiter I think the MC alone would be better as I do prefer playing along side the human army and as MC
masterchief375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 masterchief375
Member since 2004 • 1400 Posts
Playin as the Arbiter wasn't so bad but it was just kinda boring. I liked gettin a different perspective on some of the events. It was really cool, but if Arbiter is in HAlo 3 they should not focus on him as much as they did in Halo 2.
gamerking178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamerking178
Member since 2005 • 669 Posts

This is what SHOULD happen.

In the intro movie, you see the Arbitar, jumping over ledges on earth, trying to run from a group of phantoms. Suddenly he jumps, mis calculates, slips, falls and dies.

Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts
He'll be there unless he get's killed off in the opening cut scene or something.
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SymphonicWaves
I think we may fight along side the arbiter in this game even, I dont think they should have him in the game though. Lot of people didn't like it as the same happened with MGS with Raidon and look what happened to their userbase after it.

Same thing won't happen but just saying stick with your guns when you got a good thing like MC. People love him and when you play seperate character you change the game a bit in that FPS are usually you are the character and you become that person. In halo 2 you were 2 people so it's not the same thing. Although I didn't mind the Arbiter I think the MC alone would be better as I do prefer playing along side the human army and as MC
kcpp2b
Have you seen Raiden though? They brought him back and made him badass.
Halo2Marine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Halo2Marine
Member since 2004 • 167 Posts
Dude...its just a normal elite, remember they are on the good side now.  And yes they can make him just disappear, what else does he have to finish?
Plaxconium17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Plaxconium17
Member since 2005 • 435 Posts
im praying to the halo gods that the campaign will be long, more excited and 100% arbiter free, cross your fingers guys
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SymphonicWaves
I don't know why you're all acting like MC is some deep character who has a purpose to be fighting other then he's a soldier. The Arbitor is a much more interesting character.
mr_tobizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mr_tobizzle
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I can't stand those Arbiter missions they were boring as hell. I do believe he is a part of the story, but why the hell did bungie have add him? Now playing as an elite, makes u feel sympathetic to their cause, when before we all hated those elites and their shields, so u couldn't wait to drop the first one that u saw. I hope u don't use his sorry a** again. If you recall the arbiter mission "The Great Journey" was the last mission in the game. The arbiter had more missions than Chief did, 7-6. I think Halo 2 was more about the covenant and their civil war. I just wanna kill some aliens, please?
wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts
i thinl the arbitor in halo 2 had fun missions, but the chief was just such a cool character it made it alot harder to buy into the fact that you were some one other than the chief.

now as for halo 3, bungie may have learned there lesson from halo 2 and might have made the arbitor a non playable character this time around, but who knows. lets just wait and see.....
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SymphonicWaves
I can't stand those Arbiter missions they were boring as hell. I do believe he is a part of the story, but why the hell did bungie have add him? Now playing as an elite, makes u feel sympathetic to their cause, when before we all hated those elites and their shields, so u couldn't wait to drop the first one that u saw. I hope u don't use his sorry a** again. If you recall the arbiter mission "The Great Journey" was the last mission in the game. The arbiter had more missions than Chief did, 7-6. I think Halo 2 was more about the covenant and their civil war. I just wanna kill some aliens, please?mr_tobizzle
What are you 8? If you want some brain dead, plotless shoot em up, go play Unreal Tournament or something.
mrarmagedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 mrarmagedon
Member since 2003 • 2345 Posts
I'm glad to see bungie is going to make this halo suck like the second. Man the first one was great you where just the MC wasting aliens.
mrarmagedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrarmagedon

QUOTE] What are you 8? If you want some brain dead, plotless shoot em up, go play Unreal Tournament or something.

It's not like the arbiter made the story epic. Halo's story is far from a masterpiece. Plus the story was just better from the human point of view.

SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SymphonicWaves
Course it's no masterpiece, but that doesn't mean it has to suck and be another run of the mill game where you shoot aliens. They show'd that in the 2nd. The first was nothing more then a shooter. I was all the gameplay, and for a AAA game, it seriously, seriously lacked in the narrative department. They try to improve that, and what happens? People cry.
godhandiscen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 godhandiscen
Member since 2003 • 3454 Posts
I am sort of waiting for an one on one ecounter between the Arbiter and MC. I dont want a boss fight, but something amazing, you know, that tests your skills. I dunno, thats just me.
mrarmagedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrarmagedon

I think the story would be a lot better, without the immortal sgt. and the English speaking aliens.

SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SymphonicWaves
Immortal sgt. You mean the white elite? And the English speaking aliens? Eh, who cares.
mrarmagedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mrarmagedon

Immortal sgt. You mean the white elite? And the English speaking aliens? Eh, who cares. SymphonicWaves

No johnson

Lord_Neccers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Lord_Neccers
Member since 2006 • 178 Posts
Go the arbiter hes 10x better than the master cheif!!!!!!
butkis689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 butkis689
Member since 2003 • 1955 Posts

[QUOTE="SymphonicWaves"]Immortal sgt. You mean the white elite? And the English speaking aliens? Eh, who cares. mrarmagedon

No johnson

why? i love johnson! plus did you know that he's actually part flood oooooo.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Well since the Arbiter is Essential to the story now, he has to be in Besides he's a cool character. They just gotta make his missions betterKash_1095

I loved the arbitor and i love the fact that Bungie made it where we were able to play the "bad guys" and learn their story. The only problem i had with him was the fact that when i started playing as him i had to fight the fu***** flood which i personally thought hurt the game more than the ending.

Kash_1095

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 Kash_1095
Member since 2005 • 3606 Posts

[QUOTE="Kash_1095"]Well since the Arbiter is Essential to the story now, he has to be in Besides he's a cool character. They just gotta make his missions betterAgent_Kaliaver

I loved the arbitor and i love the fact that Bungie made it where we were able to play the "bad guys" and learn their story. The only problem i had with him was the fact that when i started playing as him i had to fight the fu***** flood which i personally thought hurt the game more than the ending.

Well the flood and the Brutes are the true enemy now so Prepare yourself for Halo 3
silentstriderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 silentstriderm
Member since 2005 • 496 Posts

Or maybe in co-op one person will be MC, and the other will be the Arbiter, I think that would be pretty cool

Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Xbox360gamer1
Member since 2005 • 8575 Posts
[QUOTE="fore_runner"]The Arbiter will naturally be there...it's a question of whether or not people will play as him.... I think you won't, or he is going to be completely reworked....due to the fact that Bungie listens to their fans, and the feedback has been generally negative in the aspect of the Arbiter.

Wh The Arbiter must be played so fans can understand the Covenant aren't evil, the are just like humans
redhawk360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 redhawk360
Member since 2006 • 723 Posts

This is what SHOULD happen.

In the intro movie, you see the Arbitar, jumping over ledges on earth, trying to run from a group of phantoms. Suddenly he jumps, mis calculates, slips, falls and dies.

gamerking178

yay a happy ending :)
blue-fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 blue-fish
Member since 2003 • 1389 Posts

Course it's no masterpiece, but that doesn't mean it has to suck and be another run of the mill game where you shoot aliens.  They show'd that in the 2nd.  The first was nothing more then a shooter.  I was all the gameplay, and for a AAA game, it seriously, seriously lacked in the narrative department.  They try to improve that, and what happens?  People cry.  SymphonicWaves

Yea, I cried.  They put together a muddled and awkward narrative because they tried to cover WAY too much and build a character up from the ground that no one wanted before the game was released and the majority of people didn't like to play as.  Not only that but the core gameplay suffered, the controls weren't as tight as Halo1 and the weapons and grenades didn't have as much visceral punch.  Halo 2 was more based on long ranged point and click combat where Halo1 excelled in close quarter firefights that require quick fingers as well as the quick play of shields, grenades and A.I, which is more interesting to you? 

Why not have built up the MC as a character?  With all the time they spent explaining the Covenant civil war and the Arbiter they could have but depth and feeling into the story people ACTUALLY cared about, ie. ours.  Of course now we need to know what happens to the Arbiter to finish the story, but please just make it some cut scenes, good ones maybe, free from high minded babble to make the covenant seem grand and elegant?  We did just enjoy the simple and well told story of Halo1 because it was us against the world, shooting aliens, something that was both simple and easy to identify with as well as a hint of a much larger universe behind it all.  THAT'S why it was a good story.

Sorry to rant, I just love the games so much, I don't want Bungie to mess up the next one...
Everon22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 Everon22
Member since 2003 • 389 Posts
[QUOTE="Xbox360gamer1"] The Arbiter must be played so fans can understand the Covenant aren't evil, the are just like humans

True, but it doesn't mean that we need to continue playing as his character to understand that. I didn't really enjoy the arbiter's levels (stealth broke gameplay) and I hope we see less of him.
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SymphonicWaves

[QUOTE="SymphonicWaves"]Course it's no masterpiece, but that doesn't mean it has to suck and be another run of the mill game where you shoot aliens. They show'd that in the 2nd. The first was nothing more then a shooter. I was all the gameplay, and for a AAA game, it seriously, seriously lacked in the narrative department. They try to improve that, and what happens? People cry. blue-fish

Yea, I cried. They put together a muddled and awkward narrative because they tried to cover WAY too much and build a character up from the ground that no one wanted before the game was released and the majority of people didn't like to play as. Not only that but the core gameplay suffered, the controls weren't as tight as Halo1 and the weapons and grenades didn't have as much visceral punch. Halo 2 was more based on long ranged point and click combat where Halo1 excelled in close quarter firefights that require quick fingers as well as the quick play of shields, grenades and A.I, which is more interesting to you?

Why not have built up the MC as a character? With all the time they spent explaining the Covenant civil war and the Arbiter they could have but depth and feeling into the story people ACTUALLY cared about, ie. ours. Of course now we need to know what happens to the Arbiter to finish the story, but please just make it some cut scenes, good ones maybe, free from high minded babble to make the covenant seem grand and elegant? We did just enjoy the simple and well told story of Halo1 because it was us against the world, shooting aliens, something that was both simple and easy to identify with as well as a hint of a much larger universe behind it all. THAT'S why it was a good story.

Sorry to rant, I just love the games so much, I don't want Bungie to mess up the next one...

You think Halo 1 had a good story? I mean video games aren't normally know for them (mgs being the huge exception) but Halo was, there are aliens, we have to kill them. You didn't care why they were doing it. You didn't care about the ring, you just wanted it gone. And your entire first paragraph has nothing to do with the arbitor. MC has no past. No future, no nothing. He's just another soldier, only he's stronger. He's boring. He has no background whatsoever, he's quite possibly the most generic, uninspired character in a AAA game yet.
etbny22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 etbny22
Member since 2005 • 1697 Posts
i could of swore that i read an article on bungie.net saying that the arbiter would not be a playable character, but im not 100% sure.
raze182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 raze182
Member since 2004 • 276 Posts

[QUOTE="Kash_1095"]Well since the Arbiter is Essential to the story now, he has to be in Besides he's a cool character. They just gotta make his missions betterAgent_Kaliaver

Am I the only one who thinks if they had you killing Marines and blowing up Warthogs as the Arbiter instead of the Flood and other Covenant, that it would have been MUCH more fun and you would have actually felt like you were one of the bad guys--instead of feeling like you're the Master Chief with a different skin?

SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SymphonicWaves
[QUOTE="Agent_Kaliaver"]

[QUOTE="Kash_1095"]Well since the Arbiter is Essential to the story now, he has to be in Besides he's a cool character. They just gotta make his missions betterraze182

Am I the only one who thinks if they had you killing Marines and blowing up Warthogs as the Arbiter instead of the Flood and other Covenant, that it would have been MUCH more fun and you would have actually felt like you were one of the bad guys--instead of feeling like you're the Master Chief with a different skin?

Hopefully it'll be like that. But the thing is, pretty much NOTHING happened on earth the way it was advertised. I give it about 10 mins before MC finds himself in space again.
raze182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 raze182
Member since 2004 • 276 Posts

i could of swore that i read an article on bungie.net saying that the arbiter would not be a playable character, but im not 100% sure.etbny22

It was Brutes, not the Arbiter.

This week got a little mental, when some of our friends in Belgium "revealed" that a documentary feature would be on Xbox Live Marketplace next week, and "reveal" that the Brutes were playable characters in Halo 3. Well, they're not playable characters.

The fact is, Brutes in Halo 3 will be significantly more exciting, clever, graphically impressive,  terrifying, numerous and angrier than in Halo 2, but they won't be playable, especially since you, in the role of Master Chief, will be spending a significant amount of effort and ammunition reducing their population.Bungie.net

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=notinkansas

arab_prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 arab_prince
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts
[QUOTE="SymphonicWaves"] You think Halo 1 had a good story? I mean video games aren't normally know for them (mgs being the huge exception) but Halo was, there are aliens, we have to kill them. You didn't care why they were doing it. You didn't care about the ring, you just wanted it gone. And your entire first paragraph has nothing to do with the arbitor. MC has no past. No future, no nothing. He's just another soldier, only he's stronger. He's boring. He has no background whatsoever, he's quite possibly the most generic, uninspired character in a AAA game yet.

Just to point out, true MC doesn't have a past, in the game. However there were books written explaining his past and expanding on the story. Either way the story is great, imo. The Arbiter mission's were not that great however, I don't feel they should remove him all together, they should just improve the gameplay. I also agree with one fo the posters saying how the flood somewhat ruined the gameplay. The flood is the one thing that is holding Halo back from a 10/10 score from me even though they are integral to the story.
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SymphonicWaves
[QUOTE="arab_prince"][QUOTE="SymphonicWaves"] You think Halo 1 had a good story? I mean video games aren't normally know for them (mgs being the huge exception) but Halo was, there are aliens, we have to kill them. You didn't care why they were doing it. You didn't care about the ring, you just wanted it gone. And your entire first paragraph has nothing to do with the arbitor. MC has no past. No future, no nothing. He's just another soldier, only he's stronger. He's boring. He has no background whatsoever, he's quite possibly the most generic, uninspired character in a AAA game yet.

Just to point out, true MC doesn't have a past, in the game. However there were books written explaining his past and expanding on the story. Either way the story is great, imo. The Arbiter mission's were not that great however, I don't feel they should remove him all together, they should just improve the gameplay. I also agree with one fo the posters saying how the flood somewhat ruined the gameplay. The flood is the one thing that is holding Halo back from a 10/10 score from me even though they are integral to the story.

Aren't all those books like, fan written? Regardless, the story of the game should stand on it's own.
arab_prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 arab_prince
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts
[QUOTE="SymphonicWaves"][QUOTE="arab_prince"][QUOTE="SymphonicWaves"] You think Halo 1 had a good story? I mean video games aren't normally know for them (mgs being the huge exception) but Halo was, there are aliens, we have to kill them. You didn't care why they were doing it. You didn't care about the ring, you just wanted it gone. And your entire first paragraph has nothing to do with the arbitor. MC has no past. No future, no nothing. He's just another soldier, only he's stronger. He's boring. He has no background whatsoever, he's quite possibly the most generic, uninspired character in a AAA game yet.

Aren't all those books like, fan written? Regardless, the story of the game should stand on it's own.

No they aren't. Written by Eric Nylund, hired by Bungie. But I do agree, it should stand on its own.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
Considering he was playing a picotal role RIGHT at the end of the cliffhanger ending, i'd say it's pretty much for sure. :P
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
Halo has one of the best storylines of any FPS out there. Just because you're blind to the whole thing doesn't mean it's a generic game. The four books which come from the same storyline are all amazing; and the whole storyline of the game itself is so layered and complex, it's amazing for a genre which is usually known for barebones point 'n shoot gameplay.
blue-fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blue-fish
Member since 2003 • 1389 Posts
You think Halo 1 had a good story?  I mean video games aren't normally know for them (mgs being the huge exception) but Halo was, there are aliens, we have to kill them.  You didn't care why they were doing it.  You didn't care about the ring, you just wanted it gone.  And your entire first paragraph has nothing to do with the arbitor.  MC has no past.  No future, no nothing.  He's just another soldier, only he's stronger.  He's boring.  He has no background whatsoever, he's quite possibly the most generic, uninspired character in a AAA game yet.SymphonicWaves

Firstly, just because it has a simple story, that doesn't mean it is a bad one.  I personally felt the limmited narrative of Halo1 worked very well to drive the action forward while making you curious about what was actually going on.  Just because it's not intricate and convoluted like some games plots doesn't mean it doesn't do exactly what it needs to for the well being of the game.  It's not epic, no, but it worked well and intrigued me.  And it seems that 6 years after its release people still like the story, it must have something going for it.

Secondly, you just told me why I played the game...   umm, that seem a little baseless to you?  Great argument man.

Thirdly, my paragraph has everything to do with the Arbitor.  The only reason he is in the story is to tell the story of the civil war.  If the civil war wasn't part of the story he would have no purpose, use your brain please.

Lastly, just another soldier?  That must be why he's so unbelievably popular huh?  What with comics, books, toys and very nearly a movie under his belt he must be the epitomy of bland right?  With fans and critics talking about just how cool this guy is, you among all them must be the only one that knows the truth?  And if you had read my post (beyond the first paragraph that you didn't seem to take in all that well) you might have read the part about Bungie telling us    more      about      him.  Instead of about a character it seems very few people like.

Try to see that not all stories and characters have to be elaborate and have pages of dialogue to explain exactly who they are and where they come from to be endearing.  There are a million RPG's that explain every little detail of the world and pages of text conversation.  What are the names of those games?  Oh right, no one remembers them. (not that im against RPG's at all)  Simple stories can be good, simple characters can be good.  Simple as that.