anyone else not care for the gears of wars series?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

Just a question, I don't really see the big deal with gears of war, i own the first one and i can't get through the game because i find it so boring, so am i the only one who doesn't really care for the series like other 360 owners do?

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

I was the same I was taken in by the hype on Gears 1 and rented 2, And they were just a boring duck and shoot game. And so drab looking. Plus marcus whatever his name was must the most dullest game character ever made.

KitexGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 KitexGamer
Member since 2011 • 46 Posts
I bought a 360 Elite when they first came out and soon got Gears of War as it had been out for a while and people kept telling me how good it was. I played it and I found it to be rather bland. The story didn't stand out. The characters all looked so juiced up on steroids that I found it a marvel that they didn't just walk up to the monsters and tear off their arms and beat them with them (though I think that DOES happen in GW2, right?) Anyway, point is, I'm with you on this. I find the series to be boring. I did finish the first game. Played through it about 3 times. Once by myself. Once with my brother on co-op (I like co-op games, they can turn bad games into decent onces, and once with a friend of mine cause he found the game to be too hard to play by himself). I did like the cover mechanic and the third person perspective and the shooting felt nice. I didn't like chainsaw guns, weak multiplayer, weak story, and boring characters. Oh well guess it's an opinion thing. I haven't touched the game or it's sequels in about 3 years.
Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts
It was the first online multiplayer game I fell in love with.. The single player can be boring on normal difficulty.. If you move it up to insane it turns into more strategy and intense game...
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Yeah I think its just an alright game personally.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#6 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
I'm not wowed to no ends by the series, I consider 1 & 2 above the average, I'll still get 3, but I'm far from impressed
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#7 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
It was the first online multiplayer game I fell in love with.. The single player can be boring on normal difficulty.. If you move it up to insane it turns into more strategy and intense game...Warablo13
Exactly. I find it most enjoyable on the highest/next-to-highest difficulties. The game looks so good, and has so much in it, and I can't wait to play it.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

game is meh for me.

i got it because i heard it was great, from several people.

then played it and didnt like it. it just found it kinda boring, just duck, shoot, duck shoot etc. though i will say, the Berserkers levels did get my heart and adrenaline going:P

i pretty much just made myself finish the game so i couldnt bash it before i played it. but i really didnt care much for it.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

yeah plenty of people arent into 3rd person shooters. I think Gears is a decent game, but you gotta have a friend that really wants to play a co-op game. The 1player experience is just not as fun. I find Gears is a great co-op game, but a horrible single player game. borderlands is a little better single player, but tough, also benefits from a partner to help out against the harder opponents. it's a good quality game, with a good story and good graphics, but I personally just cant get into it. I'm 99% sure I wont buy Gears3 (i dont own gears 1 or 2, because they are only fun for me if a friend comes over to play and thats not very often)

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

Go back to System Wars Sony fanboy. And I highly doubt you even own an Xbox as your sig explains you don't want to activate live as it isn't free but actually Xbox Live silver accounts are and can still connect to live.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Yeah this guy is a Sony fan boy but I do agree that Gears of War is boring. The multiplayer just isn't fun at all.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chris_Williams

Go back to System Wars Sony fanboy. And I highly doubt you even own an Xbox as your sig explains you don't want to activate live as it isn't free but actually Xbox Live silver accounts are and can still connect to live.

Steameffekt
you don't think i own a 360? okay give me a second, i don't feel like taking a new pic but a couple of days ago the user GeneralShowerz called me out also and said i didn't have a 360, i proved him wrong and he apologize so let me upload the pic to prove that i put in the thread that he was calling me out on. okay buddy :)
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
The first one was awesome... I never finished the 2nd - bored me!
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#14 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
I didn't like anything about the first one, but I did have a lot of fun with horde in the 2nd. So yeah, I don't really care for them.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chris_Williams

Steameffekt
actually i'm making a video for you and everybody else, give me a sec please :)
MrMe1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrMe1000
Member since 2007 • 2215 Posts

Just a question, I don't really see the big deal with gears of war, i own the first one and i can't get through the game because i find it so boring, so am i the only one who doesn't really care for the series like other 360 owners do?

Chris_Williams
yeah i dont think its very good. the art is terrible everything just looks so ugly
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
Didn't care a bit.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Above-average shooter.

Not much else to say.

Overhyped to an extent, but it's pretty decent.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

I hate the gears of war games.. they have extremely boring campaigns and online has too much host advantage and were just shotgun battles.

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

I don't care for it. I played the beta for GoW3, and thought "meh".

Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#21 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

Its pretty fun at times but is not my favorite shooter by far although gears 3 looks like it might be more fun the the first 2.

soufan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soufan123
Member since 2007 • 734 Posts

Love the series to death. Gears 3 should suprise all you disbelievers lol.

KitexGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KitexGamer

soufan123
Nah, won't surprise me cause I won't even give it a second glance. It's another installment in a series that has failed to wow me.
Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts
[QUOTE="soufan123"]

KitexGamer
Nah, won't surprise me cause I won't even give it a second glance. It's another installment in a series that has failed to wow me.

3rd time's a charm?
KitexGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KitexGamer
[QUOTE="Steameffekt"] 3rd time's a charm?

Probably not. I didn't like the series. I couldn't get into the first game even after playing through it 3 times. Not anyone's fault and it's obviously not a bad game as it has done very well but it failed to wow me so I'd rather put my time, money, and energy towards another game. Anyway, there's always the old Bungie-made Halo games along with plenty of RPGs I've been dying to try.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts

I've never played the games, but I wouldn't say that I don't care about them.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
I think the series is alright, but massively overrated. Theres just nothing really.... unique about them imo
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I played the first GoW at a friend's house and didn't care for it. I'm a sci-fi fan, but it just didn't hook me. Maybe it was the shallow characters, but I'm not normally picky about that sort of thing in a shooter.
kerimblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 kerimblue13
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts

I got the first one, never made it past the second mission. Now I just think it's overrated

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I've never played it but after watching some gameplay from the Gears 3 beta, it has me seriously considering picking it up. It looks fun, but after hearing everybody say it's boring I may buy the first one for like $8 just to see if I'll like the gameplay. If I do, then Sept 20 won't get here fast enough.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i dont care for the series.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
I love the series
guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 guitarist4292
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

Go back to System Wars Sony fanboy. And I highly doubt you even own an Xbox as your sig explains you don't want to activate live as it isn't free but actually Xbox Live silver accounts are and can still connect to live.Steameffekt

So not liking GoW makes someone a Sony fanboy? Good lord, people like to throw the word fanboy around whenever they can... First of all, I only like to play Gears with a friend splitscreen. I can't really get into it single player. And while I really like it in co-op, the art style is bland (testosterone infalted beef cakes and the colors grey and brown) and the over the top gore could easily be a turn off for some. There's this wonderful thing called opinion you should look into. It's been around for some time now...

The TC's question is perfectly legitimate... he doesn't particularly care for a game that everyone seems to think is wonderful. It's perfectly natural to be curious about whether or not other people feel the same or if you're the only one who doesn't like what everyone else says is a spectacular game.

It also doens't belong in System Wars because GoW is a 360 exclusive game and you're the only person in this thread to have brought up any other console. There'swasn't even a hint of system debate in this threaduntil you came in spewing this nonsense.

Also, for all you know, TC LOOOOOOOOVES Halo, just not GoW. Is he still a Sony fanboy just because he doesn't like GoW? There's so much wrong with your statement I could go on for a while, but it's not worth it.

I've never owned a Sony console, but I have a 360. I don't care much for GoW outside of Co-Op. I must be a Sony fanboy too because I don't like your particular favorite key exclusive frachise, right? Great logic, broseph.

FireHawkJ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FireHawkJ24
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Never played it but I just don't care for the story and it doesn't sound interesting to me.
JeanAlex22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JeanAlex22
Member since 2011 • 307 Posts

It was a great series for me . . . It doesn't really surprise me that some people don't like the game since no game is perfect afterall . . . If you don't like the game then so be it, because surely there is a game that you like that others don't . . . In my case I really loved Resonance Of Fate and I'm sure alot of people thought it was really boring, I didn't like Killzone 3 (but I loved Killzone 2) cause it was just like Call Of Duty with better graphics and surely alot of people loved that game . . .

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

They are alright games. But I have a tough time getting into them.

The characters have about as much personality as my shoe. The story isn't really there. The campaign consists of going from room to room and moving from cover to cover. That is it basically. With the odd turret or driving section tossed in.

My Gears of War impersonation...

Marcus "Hey Dom"

Dom "Ya, what?"

Marcus "These Locusts got us pinned down in another room, didn't this just happen in the last 62 rooms?"

Dom "Ya I think so"

Marcus "I hate these **** Locusts"

Dom "Me Too... Arrrghh, RRRRR, Grrrrr"

And that is it. Oh and you go from cover... to cover... to cover, shoot, cover, shoot, cover, shoot... 3 hours later "hey look it's a turret that we will use for 3 minutes" and back to cover, shoot, cover, shoot, cover... and shoot some more. An hour later "A vehicle, let's drive it for 10 minutes" then back to cover, shoot, cover shoot... this goes on for about 3 hours. Roll credits.

I'm just not seeing it. They are okay I guess. Great visuals. But not much else. No variety at all.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

No, I don't like Gears either. Or Halo. When it comes down to it I really don't like exclusives on any console, save Demon's Souls and Super Smash Bros: Brawl.

liukang1378

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 liukang1378
Member since 2010 • 28 Posts

nope you are not the only one because even I find the game boring and repetitive because I just felt like the fights are boring because you mostly have firefights and battles with the same 5 types of enemies you see in the entire game and its always just go to cover, aim shoot , take cover, aim shoot , take cover etc. etc. it is just really boring and by the end of the game i was so sick of it.. andthere are only like what 4 (five if you count the final boss but he was just annoying) bosses in the entire game and three of them were that beserker and the other one was the corpser and it wasn't even that hard once i actually figured out where to shoot it

I mean the game has a cool storyline and all i thought it was really cool but the gameplay and controls have too many flaws in my opinion to truly enjoy the game because half the time i died because the controls were crap and my character just wouldn't go to cover not because i was actually playing bad

VaanXPenelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 VaanXPenelo
Member since 2007 • 181 Posts

To me, Gears of War is, in every aspect, a poor man's Halo. Just like Saint's Row is a poor man's GTA. Someone thought they'd jump ona great-sellingbandwagon, added expletives to make it "edgier" and try to come up with a decent game. Sorry, not interested.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
i love gears of war series i cant wait for gears 3
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

I don't like the series at all. It's extremely boring and uninteresting.

Epic Games should drop this Gears rubbish and go back to Unreal Tournament

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts
Oh I could go on and on and on about why I like it and how it is a great series. But all I will get is the "Oh it's just your opinion." Comments. So I will just state the obvious facts. Memorable characters, fantastic voice acting, and the best third person shooter mechanics in the gaming industry. It looks great, sounds great, and plays great. Especially Gears 3. I can't remember the last time I have seen game play so smooth in something that wasn't running at a ridiculous FPS. love it or hate it, it's a great series.
dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 dragonps
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts

Not a huge fan of the game never have been really, it always looked so mediocre and generic to me. You run around and shoot things which you do in many other third person action games. It's brown and very depressing with generic cliche characters. I prefer my games with a little color and not dripping with macho muscle men and crude humour.

Oppinions of course it's all just oppinions.

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
To me, it's like asking if anyone else doesn't like money, fast cars, beautiful women and perfect.weather. Hmmm, I don't know. . .
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chris_Williams
Oh I could go on and on and on about why I like it and how it is a great series. But all I will get is the "Oh it's just your opinion." Comments. So I will just state the obvious facts. Memorable characters, fantastic voice acting, and the best third person shooter mechanics in the gaming industry. It looks great, sounds great, and plays great. Especially Gears 3. I can't remember the last time I have seen game play so smooth in something that wasn't running at a ridiculous FPS. love it or hate it, it's a great series. ACx7
i wish i could be into it like you, don't get me wrong i played gears 2 with my old roommate and that was a blast but by myself its a bore and i prefer to game alone, so its a great series but its just not for me
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

Chris_Williams

inever played gears but when bulletstorm came out best buy was selling the triple gears pack for 5 bucks with the purchase of bulletstorm.. think i got through 2 levals and havent played it since

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ACx7

Not a huge fan of the game never have been really, it always looked so mediocre and generic to me. You run around and shoot things which you do in many other third person action games. It's brown and very depressing with generic cliche characters. I prefer my games with a little color and not dripping with macho muscle men and crude humour.

Oppinions of course it's all just oppinions.

dragonps

Yes. Because the destruction of humanity should be all colorful and full of rainbows. ;). Gears 2 brightened up from Gears 1 and 3 is doing it even more. The main thing I, and most other Gears fans, miss from Gears1 is the dark, depressing atmosphere. It fits the game and story perfectly. Cliche characters accompanied by solid writing and great voice acting. The majority of games that have characters with any type of depth can be considered cliche.

And is that a street fighter sig you have there? The overly buff characters in Street Fighter 4 are okay, but not the ones in Gears?

I know, opinions opinions. Just sayin :/

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ACx7

i wish i could be into it like you, don't get me wrong i played gears 2 with my old roommate and that was a blast but by myself its a bore and i prefer to game alone, so its a great series but its just not for me Chris_Williams

I would suggest renting Gears 3 when it comes out if you did not play the beta. Gears 2 was considered boring by many people. Gears 3 seems to have changed most of their minds. It's a much faster game with smoother controls and gameplay. Plus the weapons work 100% of the time now. Not 50/50 like they were in Gears 2.

Just throwin it out there, it might be worth a try. :)

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

Gears is extremely boring imo. Both SP and MP. Gears 1 MP had me hooked for a few weeks, but was just completely lame to me after that. No lasting appeal at all. Gears 2 was lame to me from day one, and was even worse when I went back to it. The campaigns are mediocre. Don't really care for the series at all. Halo is in that boat too, but I like it more than Gears, was just disappointed by Reach and ODST...

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

I'm not a fan, but I do think that it's a good series. (I own both games) I enjoyed the campaigns, but I never felt like playing through them a second time. I can see why people love the multiplayer, but I just never got hooked into it. It may be because the characters move too slowly for my taste, especially when I want to strafe or run backwards without having to roll.