Achievements taking over your BRAINSSSS!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DutchDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DutchDoc
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

seriously... the last couple of months i only play for achievements and not for fun, it has become some kind of race between my friends and me about who is able to get the most achievements as soon as possible.

i didn't buy an 360 for this :cry: i miss the old days...

wiidrummer133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 wiidrummer133
Member since 2006 • 196 Posts
haha i know exactley wat u mean, i almost got to the stage of buying old games for easy achievements.
XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#3 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts
You got APES BAD! :lol:
stabbystabstab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 stabbystabstab
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts
yeahs it not about fun at all. it's about achievements. You just wanna see that "achievement unlocked" thingie pop up
nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
Achivements are for FOOLS.
kgansor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kgansor
Member since 2006 • 1871 Posts

:D

I found a copy of king kong for only $4.99 and picked it up, for that price it has to be decent, and everyone says it has easy achievments but i dont play to get every achievment. but it doesnt hurt.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Yeah, you always see the gamers with fake gamerscores because they have games like Avatar in there.

Avatar image for insomniac_loser
insomniac_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 insomniac_loser
Member since 2005 • 168 Posts
I only "work" at achievements when i've gone through the game the first time around and when i get bored its not hard to resist getting them but alot of the times its fun trying.
maccer101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 maccer101
Member since 2005 • 4257 Posts
i really couldn't care about them
Alan1187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Alan1187
Member since 2008 • 372 Posts
I know what you mean, but I play for fun first, then when I finish the game along with the other stuff I enjoy in the game, I look back and see if any of the achievements are simple and quick, if so I go for them. Things such as for example GTA4's beat the game in under 30 minutes of play time I will probably skip out on unless I get really bored.
CATERBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CATERBIRD
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts
with alan on this one, although i do have a question.....should i play GOW2 on hardcore first for the just for fun and then on insane for acheivments or just insane for both, in your honest opinion.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
yes i love love achiements im addicted
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

seriously... the last couple of months i only play for achievements and not for fun, it has become some kind of race between my friends and me about who is able to get the most achievements as soon as possible.

DutchDoc
Well, play the games without working on achievements then...
Alan1187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Alan1187
Member since 2008 • 372 Posts
with alan on this one, although i do have a question.....should i play GOW2 on hardcore first for the just for fun and then on insane for acheivments or just insane for both, in your honest opinion.CATERBIRD
I'm not sure yet, I'd have to see if there will be any un-lockable characters from achievements like RAAM from gears 1.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts
I kinda like achievements, they are unlike anything that has been done before.
mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts

I only "work" at achievements when i've gone through the game the first time around and when i get bored its not hard to resist getting them but alot of the times its fun trying.insomniac_loser

i agree. i play for fun the first time around. i love getting achievements and if i can get them, i do try the first time but mostly i enjoy the game. i then go back and get the achievements, though i do have fun trying for them. prob because i dont go crazy like some people do

JustaShadowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JustaShadowe
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts

with alan on this one, although i do have a question.....should i play GOW2 on hardcore first for the just for fun and then on insane for acheivments or just insane for both, in your honest opinion.CATERBIRD

Uhm, im pretty sure that like gears 1, you will need to beat the campaign on any difficult setting to unlock insane mode. So, basicly, id beat easy first to get a feel of the campaign then beat it on insane for the achievements xD

kgansor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kgansor
Member since 2006 • 1871 Posts
I like to play the game first and get whatever achievements i may stumble across and unlock and then i may go back through and get the other ones i didnt get the first time through.. unless the game was too awful to play again. I really like the achievement thing though, I find myself not wanting to go back to PS2 games, or playing wii or ds games because they dont have any achievements...
wichitopr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wichitopr
Member since 2004 • 72 Posts
I dont even look at the achievement screen the first time i play the game, i look at it after im done, lol
XboxFanboy24_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XboxFanboy24_7
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts

Yeah i like Achievements but not easy ones. I see people buy a game just so they can get a easy 1000 gamerscore in that game with all the achievements. I like ones that will give me a challenge to unlock them. Also if the game sucks i not playing it at all.8)

Star-Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Star-Killer
Member since 2008 • 1883 Posts
Yeah I've been replaying alot of games I haven't played in months just for achievements
DutchDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DutchDoc
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
[QUOTE="DutchDoc"]

Ovirew

Well, play the games without working on achievements then...

It's hard to not play for achievements while a friend invites you into private chat and is like "DUDE WHY DON'T YOU GOT THE CURB STOMP ACHIEVEMENT YET??? DUUUUUUDDEEEE" it's mainly because i bought GoW1 later than my friends and wanted to play it for fun, so at that time i played annex a lot just for fun and in annex you don't get the kill achievements. So i have an 360 for a year now and have corrupted my mind that gaining "the achievements pop-up" like stabbystabstab said is now more important to me than having fun.

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

Yup - I got the bug for it now.

But I totally inderstand it. Think about it - one of the most fundemental elements of gaming is "score" so it makes sense that we are all addicted.

Gaming is usually about beating things, missions, completing things etc etc - achievments are just another thing to do and get.

Overall I think they are great though - they add stuff to a game.

The only thing that is wrong with them is that they are not balanced between titles and some of them are just stupid.

One of the brothers in arms ones, is play the game once a day for 100 days (or something like that).

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
Well I dont buy games just for achevements, or rent them I buy games I like and then I try to get all the achevements in the game, I think achevements make a game last longer,
Coded12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Coded12
Member since 2007 • 323 Posts
I know exactly what people mean. I have recently found myself playing for achievements whilst waiting for this rush of games this xmas. My gamerscore has shot up!
wavey_gravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 wavey_gravey
Member since 2007 • 11155 Posts

I like the achievements, but know what you mean about just playing for them - although I try not to do that. I am doing it at the moment for Viva Pinata. Don't get me wrong - I love the game and have really enjoyed playing it, but now I am just slogging it out for the last achievement which is 50 hours real time play.... I am not enjoying that one bit, but I gotta have the full 1000.

It is a little sad isn't it!

Avatar image for jorenvanleeuwen
jorenvanleeuwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jorenvanleeuwen
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts
i only like getting hard achievements. like the gta 4 ones which you dont just randomlly get in the misssion ( atlesat most of em)
GamesMaster08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 GamesMaster08
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts
I agree everything is about Achievements!
sk8jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sk8jim
Member since 2004 • 1439 Posts
I won a game one time by getting achievement points but needless to say it was Fusion Frenzy 2
Dr_Henry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dr_Henry
Member since 2008 • 65 Posts
For me, basically, it isn't the gamerscore or the achievements making me try to get the achievements. I just want to reach 1000/1000 on ONE game (that isn't an easy one) just so that I can feel like I have done everything for once... I have never actually completed a game 100% more than just an easy 2-minute one.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts

I know what you mean, but I play for fun first, then when I finish the game along with the other stuff I enjoy in the game, I look back and see if any of the achievements are simple and quick, if so I go for them. Things such as for example GTA4's beat the game in under 30 minutes of play time I will probably skip out on unless I get really bored.Alan1187

30 minutes = impossible, 30 hours (what it actually is) = easy peasy.

Achievements really don't bother me, I still only buy games that I will enjoy.

I have a friend who is obsessed with achievements. He always boasts that he's better at a game because he has more achievements / higher overall gamerscore. The only reason that is true is because he buys games with easy achievements (avatar, king kong, fight night round 3, etc.), and spends so long doing menotonous tasks (like collecting the flags on Assassins Creed). My response is always the same: "Yeah, you're gamerscore is unusally high. Perhaps your over-compensating for something?". That always shuts him up.

Anyway, back to the point, I really think people who don't go for achievements end up having more fun in the long run, and isn't that what it's all about in the end, rather than a totally meaningless number?

iareconfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 iareconfuse
Member since 2007 • 194 Posts

For me, basically, it isn't the gamerscore or the achievements making me try to get the achievements. I just want to reach 1000/1000 on ONE game (that isn't an easy one) just so that I can feel like I have done everything for once... I have never actually completed a game 100% more than just an easy 2-minute one.Dr_Henry

Thats how I felt a while back when I first got Star Wars TFU. I wanted to get 1000/1000, and it felt like I could pull it off, so I went ahead and tried and sure enough, got the score.