3 RED lights of death and NYKO intercooling fan

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mercenar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mercenar3
Member since 2006 • 2238 Posts

ok so since december i have had no problems with my 360. I have given it a NYKO intercooler fan and kind of just forgot about it. I have recently heard that the fan is harmful to the 360 so i got worried. Soon after the three red lights of death appearedthis morning and i flipped out. So i shut it off quickly removed the fan (not an easy task) it started working again  but now im worried this may occur again. Any advice?

Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
There's nothing you can do. You should be alright as long as you haven't got that piece of junk connected to your 360.
Army_Veteran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Army_Veteran
Member since 2006 • 1201 Posts
Well I have the intercooler, I bought it when I bought my 360. Everything worked fine for moneths. Then I was playing I got the 3 red rings. Then I took it off, Put it on agian, got the 3 red rings, Then I took it off a couple days. WOrked fine. Put it back on and Got the 3 red rings. So I took it off and bought a new fan device with indepent power supply, and no more red rings. Been a couple month since then to.
OneLessFinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 OneLessFinger
Member since 2006 • 1121 Posts

It doesnt even need any extra cooling unless its inside of a friggin case, as long as its properly ventilated it will be fine. Sheesh that thing is such a waste of money...

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11939 Posts

ok so since december i have had no problems with my 360. I have given it a NYKO intercooler fan and kind of just forgot about it. I have recently heard that the fan is harmful to the 360 so i got worried. Soon after the three red lights of death appearedthis morning and i flipped out. So i shut it off quickly removed the fan (not an easy task) it started working again  but now im worried this may occur again. Any advice?

mercenar3
pray
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

There's no need for those intercoolers. Take them back and get a refund.

Techrolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Techrolla
Member since 2006 • 151 Posts
I had the same problem with the fan, but i couldnt get it off. So i talked to nyko and sent my 360 to them. I got a brand new 360 from them.
mercenar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mercenar3
Member since 2006 • 2238 Posts

Well I have the intercooler, I bought it when I bought my 360. Everything worked fine for moneths. Then I was playing I got the 3 red rings. Then I took it off, Put it on agian, got the 3 red rings, Then I took it off a couple days. WOrked fine. Put it back on and Got the 3 red rings. So I took it off and bought a new fan device with indepent power supply, and no more red rings. Been a couple month since then to.Army_Veteran

ok thanks that's exactly what happened to me.

xpmxtimberwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xpmxtimberwolf
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
ok that not exactly happened to me but i was playing oblivion with it on and all of the sudden DISK ERROR i open the drive and obliion was in two pieces so i took the game back to get it replaced and they replaced it i thought it was just basd luck so i went to paly pgr3 and my disk gashed up so i thougth something was wrong and took off the intercooler cause its fan speed was pulsing and it never happend again after that .
cstocking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cstocking
Member since 2005 • 31 Posts

this happened to me so i took mine off my 360 and the guy at the store said something shorted or disconected in the intercooler and that i got the three red lights because it wasnt connecting right

willpark73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 willpark73
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts
i agree with everyone else. my 360 never got the three red lights until i put that intercooler on it. i took it off and have had no problems since then. they need to take that thing off the market. a waste of money.
D1STURBED0NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 D1STURBED0NE
Member since 2006 • 288 Posts
Don't use the intercooler, it void's your warrenty and takes power that should be going to the 360.
Avatar image for UrbanSpartan125
UrbanSpartan125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 UrbanSpartan125
Member since 2006 • 3684 Posts

ok so since december i have had no problems with my 360. I have given it a NYKO intercooler fan and kind of just forgot about it. I have recently heard that the fan is harmful to the 360 so i got worried. Soon after the three red lights of death appearedthis morning and i flipped out. So i shut it off quickly removed the fan (not an easy task) it started working again but now im worried this may occur again. Any advice?

mercenar3
Same thing happened to me, i think the NYKO uses too much power thus making the 360 unable to operate indicating a hardware failure, i took it out and it worked fine for months until it broke. but ive gone through 5 of them Dont use the Intercooler it will cause more problems than it will solve
Cube1485_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cube1485_basic
Member since 2002 • 626 Posts
I've got my 360 in a less-than-optimal cooling location, so installed the intercooler about six months ago. Never had any problems, and the 360 runs considerably cooler. I'm not sure I exactly buy the argument that it sucks away so much power as to cause hardware failure. According to the lables on the fans themselves inside the intercooler, they take up about 2.5 watts each. Am I supposed to believe that the 360 power supply is so inflexible that it can't handle a 7.5 watt surge? Keep in mind that the 360 itslef can require about 200 watts, hence the monster of a power brick.
wiiforever25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wiiforever25
Member since 2007 • 433 Posts
why would you assume it is the intercooler.  my 360 gave me problems until i put the intercooler on and 1 and a half years later absolutely no problems, same with 2 of my friends.  its your 360.
Haeravon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Haeravon
Member since 2004 • 764 Posts
Yeah, if you ever call MS support, one of the questions they'll ask you is if you used an intercooling device on your 360.  I told the guy that I figured it was Microsoft's job to install a fan good enough to keep the 360 working, and he thought it was pretty funny.  Long story short, or short story even shorter, never use 2nd party equipment on your consoles.  There is a reason they're half the price of the brand stuff.
xelloss88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xelloss88
Member since 2006 • 5187 Posts
Just leave it off, those NYKO fans kill 360s and void your warranty.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Those third party cooling fans should be banned..seriously
pjoasil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 pjoasil
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts
If you get 3 red lights at any point and you are under warranty, call xbox support and get a new one. I'm on my third 360. The first time I got 3 red lights, it work fine, but over time progressively got worse until it didn't work at all. The same thing happened to the second.  My system is properly ventilated and I don't play it too often. 3 red light means that there is a hardware malfunction that will eventually crap out.
Army_Veteran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Army_Veteran
Member since 2006 • 1201 Posts

I've got my 360 in a less-than-optimal cooling location, so installed the intercooler about six months ago. Never had any problems, and the 360 runs considerably cooler. I'm not sure I exactly buy the argument that it sucks away so much power as to cause hardware failure. According to the lables on the fans themselves inside the intercooler, they take up about 2.5 watts each. Am I supposed to believe that the 360 power supply is so inflexible that it can't handle a 7.5 watt surge? Keep in mind that the 360 itslef can require about 200 watts, hence the monster of a power brick.Cube1485_basic

Tha is what I thought, I went agianst people stating I liked the intercooler, and that they did not know how to operate electronics, that is why they where getting all these failures. But then mine started to act up. I assumed my 360 was not getting the adiquite amount of power because it worked fine with out it. The same thing happen to one of my buddies before it happen to me. While we was playing a game, he got the rings. Took his off and never had a problem as well. I will agree it is alot cooler with it on, and I wished it would have worked for me.

ronniemoisture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ronniemoisture
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts
NO USE FOR THE CRAPKO INTERCOOLER!!!! Just make sure the console can be properly ventilated. I wish they would stop selling those stupid things.