Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sephy37
Member since 2004 • 19516 Posts

The Rock is back!

Discuss whatever. His return, favorite matches, favorite promos, how happy you are, how exciting it is to finally see The Rock live (for those who started watching post WM XX), or anything.

Thought a seperate thread would last longer than the current Raw thread and keep the WM thread on-topic.

So, who else wants Rock vs. HBK...I mean Rock vs. Cena?

Too bad DirtyDarren isn't still active, he would have marked the f*** out.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts
What was your guys' favorite Rock WM match?
sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sephy37
X-7, easily
Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Razor-Lazor

Alright. Harder question.

If Rock-Cena actually does happen, do you think it could surpass 17's Rock-Austin?

Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blue_Shield
Member since 2010 • 2610 Posts

17 had better work than 15, I admit, but that ending, for me, ruins the match.

Plus, 15 had the benefit, IMHO, of having a much better story, and the match ended an otherwise s*** event on a good note (I mean, until Rock-Austin, 15 was almost looking WrestleMania 9 bad).

17, on other hand, was just about the exact opposite of 15: ended an otherwise good event on a bad note.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
It was awesome how Rock put cena in his place
Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blue_Shield
If Rock-Cena actually does happen, do you think it could surpass 17's Rock-Austin?Razor-Lazor
If anything, it will probably be more like Rock-Hogan than Rock-Austin, in that the crowd reactions will probably surpass any of the actual workrate in the match.
Avatar image for SonicRenegade84
SonicRenegade84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SonicRenegade84
Member since 2009 • 6096 Posts
IDK.....Rock/Austin is a legious fued. EVERYONE knows that fued. If Cena/Rock happens, it could be considered great but like Blue said, it'll be like Rock/Hogan - All the kids will be for Cena, all the WWF alumni will be for Rock.
-CoMBaT-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 -CoMBaT-
Member since 2004 • 1347 Posts

Last night was awesome. I hope they don't ruin it. I don't know if he's going to wrestle or not, but him saying he'll "never leave us" again leads one to assume so even though he had been on the record many times saying he wouldn't.

I hope Cena doesn't ruin this. He seems to be the primary way it'll get ruined, and I highly expect him to come out next week and degrade what happened in some form. I hope I'm wrong and this ends up being everything it should be. This is where we find out who and what he is as a performer and in some way, as a person. On one hand, he could take it personal and cause problems. On the other, he does this right.

He treading a fine line with Rock's return at stake.

The_Great_One2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Great_One2
Member since 2006 • 630 Posts

In terms of television ratings, PPV buyrates, and selling merchandise:

Cena>Rock

'Nuff Said.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Razor-Lazor

I think the worst thing Cena could do is come out and act like he does toward every legend he's encountered.

"I respect __________ because he is a legend."

I want Cena to bash the **** out of him.

Make fun of him for leaving. Make fun of the Disney movies. Make fun of everything.

I don't want to see a respectful "passing-the-torch" feud. I want to see a real feud.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Razor-Lazor
trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 trick_man01
Member since 2003 • 11441 Posts
I know something about electrifying. Because I am the most Electrifying, ground breaking, trail blazing, newbie hazing, theme dropping, heart stopping, knowledge knowing, never posing person in all the GameSpot community.
Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blue_Shield

Cena>Rock

'Nuff Said.The_Great_One2

I like you man, but now you are just trying too hard to troll.

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 trick_man01

Cena>Rock

'Nuff Said.

The_Great_One2
Show me the numbers.
SonicRenegade84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SonicRenegade84
While I don't agree on PPV buyrates number wise, I can't agree that Cena is better than Rock when it comes to PPV's. If you count WM's alone, there are two ppv's where you bought it JUST to see Rock (WM 17 and 18). I don't know a single PPV where anyone was excited for a ppv just to see Cena.
trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trick_man01
While I don't agree on PPV buyrates number wise, I can't agree that Cena is better than Rock when it comes to PPV's. If you count WM's alone, there are two ppv's where you bought it JUST to see Rock (WM 17 and 18 ). I don't know a single PPV where anyone was excited for a ppv just to see Cena.SonicRenegade84
Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan would like to speek with you regarding 17 & 18.
Chicago_Nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chicago_Nut
Member since 2005 • 7205 Posts

You can't really agree with what he said, though. He stated things that can be proven with factual evidence. But this is what a troll like him wants, chaos!

SonicRenegade84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SonicRenegade84
[QUOTE="SonicRenegade84"]While I don't agree on PPV buyrates number wise, I can't agree that Cena is better than Rock when it comes to PPV's. If you count WM's alone, there are two ppv's where you bought it JUST to see Rock (WM 17 and 18 ). I don't know a single PPV where anyone was excited for a ppv just to see Cena.trick_man01
Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan would like to speek with you regarding 17 & 18.

Oh my, i'm sorry Mr. Austin and Hogan ;).
dak_phoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 dak_phoenix
Member since 2006 • 7380 Posts

I think the worst thing Cena could do is come out and act like he does toward every legend he's encountered.

Make fun of him for leaving. Make fun of the Disney movies. Make fun of everything.

I don't want to see a respectful "passing-the-torch" feud. I want to see a real feud.

Razor-Lazor

i agree 100% with razor on this, i want to see this as a legit feud, i'm just wondering how this would work with 2 faces, wondering if Cena might turn heel against rock, that would make it more interesting. i jut hope this puts an end to the PG crap the WWE is doing now

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 The_Dude14
Member since 2004 • 17165 Posts

I think I tend to underrate the Rock in the ring.

Anywho, when it comes to great Rock matches you gotta think about the Austin matches. He and Austin just had eletric chemistry. He and Trips also did a lot of great things in the ring.

But one of my favorite Rock opponents is Chris Jericho, although I tended to support Jericho in those matches.

And that Hogan match was just something special

dak_phoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dak_phoenix
Member since 2006 • 7380 Posts

Razor-Lazor

i agree 100% with razor on this, i want to see this as a legit feud, i'm just wondering how this would work with 2 faces, wondering if Cena might turn heel against rock, that would make it more interesting. i jut hope this puts an end to the PG crap the WWE is doing now

Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blue_Shield

He and Trips also did a lot of great things in the ring.The_Dude14
Having one more Rock-HHH match gotta be in my top 5 dream matches.

But one of my favorite Rock opponents is Chris Jericho, although I tended to support Jericho in those matches.The_Dude14
Rock-Jericho matches were, like, one of the few positives in an otherwise dream turned nightmare of a angle that was the Invasion.

The_Great_One2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Great_One2
[QUOTE="The_Great_One2"]

Cena>Rock

'Nuff Said.

trick_man01

Show me the numbers.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=114653745242794&topic=137

Here's a list of all the WM buyrates. The first WM the rock main evented was 15 against Austin. This was in 1999 during the Attitude era and drew 800,000. Cena's first main event was in 2006 at WM 22 aginst HHH. A matchup not even close to the caliber of Austin-Rock drew 975,000.

Advantage=Cena

The Rock's most popular WM he main evented was 17 (2001) vs. Austin which drew 1,040,000. This was arguably the most hyped up mania ever with a card that included Vince/Shane, TLC II, Taker/HHH, and Angle/Benoit. Absolutely stacked card. Cena main evented WM 23 with HBK that drew 1,250,000 buys (highest mania ever). This is very impressive as the card was rather weak for a mania.

Advantage=Cena

I don't have numbers for merchandise but I dont think you'll find anyone that would argue the Rock sold more t shirts than Cena.

Advantage=Cena

TV ratings are tricky to calculate because 4.0 in 1999 doesn't translate to a 4.0 in 2011. People just assume that a 5.0 in 1999 is higher than a 3.2 today but thats not always the case. Anyways I'll give the edge to Cena because he pretty much carried Raw on his back for the last 5 or so years. Even when Rock was top dog he always had a great supporting cast in Austin, Taker, Angle etc.

Advantage=Cena

'Nuff Said.

-CoMBaT-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -CoMBaT-

It's a fact that there are less viewers of the WWE, than there were during the days of The Rock. That general reality makes it impossible for Cena to ever get the buys that Rock did to begin with. It's also a fact that I never see people wearing Cena clothing, yet I used to always see people wearing stuff from The Rock and still do from time to time.

Great one's just a troll, and has been for years now. In fact I think he was one of the union's first trolls...now they are far more plentiful. I guess he wants to make up for lost times.

I was hoping he'd say Triple H last night personally. Triple H in his old heel role against The Rock - those were some of my favorite matches ever.

sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sephy37

Even I know that Cena is a bigger draw than The Rock was. Quit trying to hate on him for having different opinions or saying something controversial.

Cena has been #1 or #2 Top Box Office Draw for the past 5 years. At The Rock's peak, he was #1 once and struggled to be in the top 3 every other year. Cena is a force today in wrestling that cannot be challenged. The Rock had to deal with Taker, Austin, Goldberg, HHH, Misawa (in early 2000's) and to a lesser extent, Foley. The Rock never became the giant draw he was until late 99/early 2000 and wasn't regular from 2003 - 2004. Cena has been nonstop for the past 6 years except for maybe 6 months (when he had a broken neck).

TG1 brings up many good points that its hard to turn away from. If Cena keeps it up for another 10 years, next time WWE puts out a Top 50 Superstars, he'll be in the top 3.

Hate him or love him, he IS the biggest thing to happen to wrestling since Austin.

The_Great_One2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Great_One2

It's a fact that there are less viewers of the WWE, than there were during the days of The Rock. That general reality makes it impossible for Cena to ever get the buys that Rock did to begin with. It's also a fact that I never see people wearing Cena clothing, yet I used to always see people wearing stuff from The Rock and still do from time to time.

Great one's just a troll, and has been for years now. In fact I think he was one of the union's first trolls...now they are far more plentiful. I guess he wants to make up for lost times.

I was hoping he'd say Triple H last night personally. Triple H in his old heel role against The Rock - those were some of my favorite matches ever.

-CoMBaT-

So that automatically means Rock sold more merchandise? To be honest just about the only time I see someone wearing a wrestling shirt is when I go to a wrestling event. And when I do Cena shirts outnumber every other wrestler combined.

And the fact that there are now less viewers make it even more impressive that the WMs Cena mainevented had more buyrates than the Rock. So I don't know why you said its impossible for him to get more buys. Either read what I wrote and then reply or just don't reply at all. No one cares about you, you goth/emo loser.

I'm not bashing the Rock by anymeans I'm just saying that Cena sold more merchandise, more PPVs, etc. The Rock is better in the ring and miles ahead with mic work.

'Nuff Said.

Chicago_Nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chicago_Nut
Member since 2005 • 7205 Posts
TG1 was called out and presented cold hard truths. My new favorite poster.
Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blue_Shield

With TV ratings, I would say it is apples to oranges. I mean, even though the ratings could probably be better, it is not a 1:1 ratio, simply because TV ratings are down across the board as compared to 10-15 years ago (though they have apparently been up in the last year or two, as compared to previous years).

Still, to say Cena is a beter TV ratings draw than Rock is just laughable.

In regards to WrestleMania buyrates, how about domestic numbers? Just as it is unfair 1:1 ration with TV ratings, it is unfair with PPV buyrates, because the WWE international market has expanded from what it was 10 years ago.

I will say this: to credit anything but Trump-Vince for the 23 buyrate would be incorrect.

Otherwise, there is more to PPV buyrates than WrestleMania, and in that sense, buyrates, especially domestic buyrates, are down, way down.

For the record, I never said Cena was not a top draw.

-CoMBaT-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -CoMBaT-

If TG1 is not trolling (this time), then k. He generally is though, you should know that even better than I do. I will however, apologize to Great one, thanks for maybe being serious for once.

I do not keep track of all WWE merchandise sales. I just know that buy rates and general interest in the product were up at a peak before Cena was there, and went down after Cena was there even if it wasn't because of him. I have never seen a John Cena shirt out in public. From what I have seen, the WWE is no where near as household, "cooler talk" as it was years ago. People do not know who most of the people in the WWE are right now. Cena is the only exception to that. If you ask someone who doesn't watch wrestling, they MIGHT know who he is. Tons of people who don't watch wrestling know who Rock, Stone Cold, Hogan are.

So, if Cena has somehow managed to outsell ANY of these people merchandise-wise...well, he should run his own company - and I blame stupid kids. You won't ever convince me that Cena pulls more TV ratings than any of those names though. I would even argue Jericho in his day as a face would give Cena a run for his money in general TV ratings.

I don't hate Cena, but quite honestly Cena's been a "force" because he has no real face competition like Rock did in his time, which you just admitted basically. All of the faces in the WWE right now are so dull and boring, even Cena for the most part. The Rock proved these things harshly this past Monday and gave us a big slap in the face, awaking us to what we had come to accept as "top performance" over the years.

Back when we actually had entertaining faces like Rock and Jericho, I rooted for them. Now, the only current wrestlers who are interesting to me at all are heels so I've been rooting for them - wondering, "what has happened to me?"

Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blue_Shield

Even when Rock was top dog he always had a great supporting cast in Austin, Taker, Angle etc.

Advantage=Cena

'Nuff Said.The_Great_One2

In turn, I would say to you even when Cena was top dog he always had a great supporting cast in DX (Shawn Michaels and Triple H), Randy Orton, Edge, Batista, etc.

SonicRenegade84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SonicRenegade84
Honestly, when I didn't watch wrestling, I knew who Cena was. He's one of the only people in WWE that if you've never heard of wrestling, you've still heard of John Cena. The Rock was one of those people too, but you knew Hogan, Stone Cold and Undertaker before him.
Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blue_Shield

Oh, and screw Cena, or Rock. Rey Jr. = Ratings.

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

I'm going with Austin V Rock at Wrestlemania 17. Good match and I can't remember many others so I'm sticking with it.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts
Anyone else facepalming themselves that they didn't get it the second that the electricity stuff was going on, seconds after Justin finished on the mic?
SonicRenegade84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SonicRenegade84

Anyone else facepalming themselves that they didn't get it the second that the electricity stuff was going on, seconds after Justin finished on the mic?Redders1989

I got it as soon as Cole said "we're in Hollywood, California". Which was a mistake in both ways. 

Mu5uk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mu5uk0
Member since 2005 • 19144 Posts

Anyone else facepalming themselves that they didn't get it the second that the electricity stuff was going on, seconds after Justin finished on the mic?Redders1989

Most people knew it was the Rock since last week. 

ToTheBank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ToTheBank
Member since 2004 • 4471 Posts
Cena gave it away immediately!!! go back to his promo to open the show... he said he had ROCK solid evidence that Cole was the host... i knew it right there... there were a few other hints placed that i will tell you after i rewatch RAW... im really surprised that wasnt brought up here (havent checked the RAW thread since Monday night though)
WicthBalder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 WicthBalder
Member since 2005 • 1924 Posts
I hope that they don't censor the rock's promos at wrestlemania.
WicthBalder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 WicthBalder
Member since 2005 • 1924 Posts

I hope that they don't censor the Rock's famous phrases at Wrestlemania.

SeriousThreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SeriousThreat
Member since 2004 • 1642 Posts

I hope that they don't censor the Rock's famous phrases at Wrestlemania.

WicthBalder

No way they censor them.

Are we going to see the Rock on TV at all before Mania?

Mu5uk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mu5uk0
Member since 2005 • 19144 Posts

Are we going to see the Rock on TV at all before Mania?

SeriousThreat

... We already did? 

sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sephy37
Yeah...HoF
Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Razor-Lazor
Yeah...HoFsephy37
I say save it for next year. Otherwise either him or HBK would be overshadowed by the other.
sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sephy37

[QUOTE="sephy37"]Yeah...HoFRazor-Lazor
I say save it for next year. Otherwise either him or HBK would be overshadowed by the other.

No, I meant he'll likely appear at it, not be inducted.

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts
Ha. I was just go around YouTube and found a Rock interview with Cole and hes got that Josh Mathews look with some wild hair. I almost didn't recognize him. HERE
sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sephy37

Still the best promo video ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTpoCJDIWgk&feature=fvwrel

SonicRenegade84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SonicRenegade84
I own that DVD, actually. Still a great match after all these years.