The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
AVP Killed Alien 5Cameron and Scott had another sequel on the drawing-board.by Paul Davidson

February 8, 2006 - Filmmaker James Cameron has spoken candidly for the first time about his involvement on Alien 5 – a potential sequel to the Alien series that still seemed like a possibility last spring.

Both Ridley Scott, who created the first Alien, and Cameron, responsible for the second, had expressed interest in continuing the series. So what went wrong? In an interview with AICN, Cameron explains that it was 20th Century Fox's bright idea for an Alien-Predator crossover film that soured his interest in making Alien 5. In fact, he abandoned the work he'd already begun on it when he heard about AVP.

"Ridley [Scott] and I talked about doing another Alien film, and I said to 20th Century Fox that I would develop a 5th Alien film. I started working on a story, I was working with another writer and Fox came back to me and said, 'We've got this really good script for Alien vs Predator,' and I got pretty upset. I said, 'You do that you're going to kill the validity of the franchise in my mind,' because to me, that was Frankenstein Meets Werewolf. It was Universal just taking their assets and starting to play them off against each other.

"So, I stopped work. Then I saw Alien vs Predator and it was actually pretty good. (laughs) I think of the 5 [sic] Alien films, I'd rate it 3rd."

Unfortunately, Cameron's positive opinion of AVP hasn't changed his mind. He says he sees now that Alien is Fox's "asset", not his. Putting up with another studio's ideas of how to steer a franchise is something Cameron has grown tired of.

In the meantime, Cameron has other projects like Project 880/Avatar on the go — which he promised to reveal more about soon. For now, however: no more Alien movies.

kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 kayne2000
Member since 2004 • 5583 Posts

aliens was and is still good

but alien 4 and 3 began to lack something especially cause it was the same freakin girl that survived everytime.

alien 6 would need a whole new layout and the predator thing could be of use especially at the end of the movie. really wanst a bad movie.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Last_Ride
If they should do another alien movie, they should have a dude surviving it:P
stevo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 stevo316
Member since 2005 • 2678 Posts

If they should do another alien movie, they should have a dude surviving it:PThe_Last_Ride

Or at least make it better than 3 or 4. Those were the worst. Maybe have better aliens in it, like instead of just having the standard alien and the mother, bring in all the alien toys that they make. I had a 'tree hugger' one, it was like a snake with an adjustable tail that wrapped around stuff. Those were the days

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Last_Ride
Hmm i have only seen 2 & 4
boylcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 boylcp
Member since 2005 • 3811 Posts
I havn't seen any of them
stevo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stevo316
If your gonna see any of them, see #'s 1 and 2. Those were the best
Pikemancol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Pikemancol
Member since 2005 • 1337 Posts

If your gonna see any of them, see #'s 1 and 2. Those were the beststevo316

Yep the first 2 were the best!!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Last_Ride
I liked to see that bad a"" dude in the begining where he was saying. That i am gonig to waste those moth""""", they are scared of me. And in the end of the movie he is like: Holy sh"" what the hell are those things, i want to go home! No one told me that we were gonna fight that!:P:lol:
kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kayne2000

yea though alien 4 had one great scene.

where the aliens were trapped in thsoe guys lab so they screamed then beat the hell out one of the alien partners to make the acid blood bleed through a hole so theyd escape lol. that was just solid comedy there.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Last_Ride

yea though alien 4 had one great scene.

where the aliens were trapped in thsoe guys lab so they screamed then beat the hell out one of the alien partners to make the acid blood bleed through a hole so theyd escape lol. that was just solid comedy there.

kayne2000

Yeah it was:).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Last_Ride

Here is some news:

Double Dip Digest: Alien vs. PredatorIn this classic monster clash, which version of this DVD is a winner?by Todd Gilchrist

February 8, 2006 - With each successive entry in the Alien and Predator film series, Hollywood has become increasingly focused on driving them home as vehicles of pure carnage and destruction, gradually relegating character and story to the back seat; and with Alien vs. Predator, not only did 20th Century Fox kick character and story firmly to the trunk, they also engaged a driver whose eyes are not even focused on the road.

In other words, the seventh entry for these combined sci-fi franchises is a typical example of studio muscle winning out over auteur creativity. Although writer-director Paul W. S. Anderson tries to inject some bombastic flourish to the enterprise, he is ultimately powerless to create a film that matches even the slightest of the previous installments.

The geography of AVP's world remains largely faithful to those of earlier installments: The time, in keeping with Predator, is present day; the locale, in keeping with Aliens, is a frigid wasteland scarcely inhabitable by humans. Subsequently, it's easy to see from where much of the crossover film's inspiration derives; cavernous passages, claustrophobic spaces and drop-off shadows that lead nowhere abound. Anderson, a self-professed fan of both series, borrows liberally from not only the visual construction of the Alienfilms but their stories as well, sending humans into uncharted territory to explore, uncover and then be destroyed by what they find, and does so with significantly more expository set-up than any of the previous films.

But because of AVP's erratic and inconsistent pacing, these moments unfortunately arrive unexpectedly, and not necessarily in a good way. It's tough to decide if they come too soon or too late, but the climax seems to strike at such an off-kilter (but conventionally misdirected) moment that a genuine feeling of resolution never feels like it happens. Instead, we're left with a number of false endings that seem to set up the film for an unlikely-to-happen sequel and trade out the ensuing ambiguity for audience ambivalence.

Ultimately, Alien vs. Predator is a perfectly conventional science-fiction actioner made with methodical precision by a gifted if uninspired filmmaker - all of which begs the question why Fox would deem it worthy of not one but two disparate DVD editions, including the AVP: Alien Vs. Predator (Unrated Director's Cut), released late last year after its initial home-video push via a rated version.

The original AVP: Alien vs. Predator DVD was released on January 25, 2005, and features the following extras:

• Audio commentary by director Paul W.S. Anderson, Lance Henriksen and Sanaa Lathan
  • Audio commentary by Alec Gillis, Tom Woodruff Jr., and visual effects supervisor John Bruno
  • Deleted scenes
  • Making-of featurette
  • Dark Horse comic book cover gallery

The AVP: Alien vs. Predator (Unrated Edition) DVD was released on November 22, 2005, and features the following extras:

• Disc One
    • Includes theatrical version and unrated extended version of the movie with eight minutes of unrated footage
    • Audio commentary by director Paul W.S. Anderson, Lance Henriksen and Sanaa Lathan
    • Audio commentary by Alec Gillis, Tom Woodruff Jr., and visual effects supervisor John Bruno
    • Optional added footage marker

• Disc Two
    • Pre-production featurette: "AVP: The Beginning"
    • Featurette: "ADI Workshop"
    • Storyboard gallery
    • Concept art gallery
    • AVP production documentary
    • Production featurette: "Making-Of"
    • Post-production featurette: Visual effects breakdown
    • Featurette: "Aliens vs. Predator: The Comic Book"
    • Featurette: "Monsters in Miniature by Todd McFarlane"
    • AVP HBO special
    • Theatrical trailers

Somewhat obviously, there are a number of extra materials that do not appear on the original DVD release, starting with eight new minutes of material. To be perfectly honest, really couldn't tell what was new, even with the "optional added footage marker" enabled; supposedly this film suffered a storied history of cuts and changes to meet its PG-13 theatrical exhibition, but the difference between the action scenes in their PG-13 and "unrated" iterations is so negligible that gorehounds are destined to be disappointed.

Meanwhile, the expository scenes at the beginning of the film have definitely been lengthened, which is definitely not the place where footage should be added; I don't need more character development unless the characters are actually interesting to begin with, and the ones that Anderson comes up with might as well have been given names like "Inevitable Victim Number One" and "…Two" and "…Three" and so on.

The second disc is where the real bonus material appears, and quite frankly it's for diehard fans only: pre-production, production and post-production featurettes chronicle the film's development from conception to completion, but offer absolutely no new information to audiences familiar with sci-fi films or special effects material in general. That said, this disc does indeed provide all of the Alien and Predator-related material any person could want - that is, if you were completely unfamiliar with AVP itself, the superior films that inspired it, or the concept of "special effects" or science fiction in general.

Overall, the AVP: Alien Vs. Predator (Unrated Edition) DVD is a worthwhile purchase only for true devotees of the series, but remains an unnecessary addition to anyone's library if they own the original single-disc set. Ultimately, however, the movie itself is a not altogether unentertaining follow-up that could motivate future generations to want to watch and hopefully make more of these movies. Because believe it or not, I honestly believe that both series still have many more tales left in them; let's just hope that they're told better than this one.
stevo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stevo316
That was a bit lengthy/ I read it though ^_^. Im not gonna get it - I already have the 1st one
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride

That was a bit lengthy/ I read it though ^_^. Im not gonna get it - I already have the 1st onestevo316
'

I have it.:D

stevo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 stevo316

[QUOTE="stevo316"]That was a bit lengthy/ I read it though ^_^. Im not gonna get it - I already have the 1st oneThe_Last_Ride

'

Like it?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]

[QUOTE="stevo316"]That was a bit lengthy/ I read it though ^_^. Im not gonna get it - I already have the 1st onestevo316

'

Like it?

But mine hasn't got the esktra material:(

RamboneForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 RamboneForever
Member since 2005 • 969 Posts

I haven't even seen AVP,but I heard it really sucked and that it ruined some poeples interest in an Alien or a Predator movie.

I agree with Cameron,they only made the film for money,not to add to the franchise's of both Alien and Predator.

kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kayne2000

well i dont know how true it stuck to the series itsself or whatever im really not the expert

but i thought on its own merits the predators and aliens fighting each other was nicely done and the whole movie wasnt half bad. although i guess if it didnt stick to the actual story of the series then it might of sucked but on a whole wasnt half bad. i mean i really didnt expect those aliens to tear the predators apart so nicely although i was pissed at that human girl surviving or any humans survivng period.

boylcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#19 boylcp
Member since 2005 • 3811 Posts

I haven't even seen AVP,but I heard it really sucked and that it ruined some poeples interest in an Alien or a Predator movie.

I agree with Cameron,they only made the film for money,not to add to the franchise's of both Alien and Predator.

RamboneForever

I agree with that 100%