Gamespot website keeps freezing IE9

This topic is locked from further discussion.

markshim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 markshim
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

hi guys,

over the past week when ever i try and use gamespot website it just freezes my IE9 and i have to use the task manager to close it. IE9 works fine for every other site i use?

any help please?

mark

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#3 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Have you deleted cookies? Also check your add-ons as well.
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Hi hi! Can you tell us what page you're visiting when it happens? Also, if somebody else can share that tHey have the same problem that would be great.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

hi guys,

over the past week when ever i try and use gamespot website it just freezes my IE9 and i have to use the task manager to close it. IE9 works fine for every other site i use?

any help please?

mark

markshim

Try this before connecting to this website: go to "Tools - Compatibility View settings", and type in "gamespot.com" into the block & click "add" then "close".

Gamespot's webpages work better under older versions of IE, I don't believe the webpages have been updated for the latest versions of browsers.

Also, is your IE up-to-date with Windows Update, got all of them installed?

Sidburn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sidburn19  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 4715 Posts

Since I read this thread yesterday I have starting using IE9, I have been all over the site and forums and haven't had any problems with freezeing. What do you actually mean by freezing? Pages won't load? Browser locks up? Computer itself freezes? The more information you provide the quicker we can solve your problem.

markshim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 markshim

i mean the web page becomes unresponsive or it just freezes my browser and i have to use task manager to close it. this only happen on gamespot.

i am going to try the compatibility thing and get back to you ok :)

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JodyR

i mean the web page becomes unresponsive or it just freezes my browser and i have to use task manager to close it. this only happen on gamespot.

i am going to try the compatibility thing and get back to you ok :)

markshim
That sounds good, thanks!
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I've also been having this issue.

I try to access http://uk.gamespot.com/ from my Favourites but a few seconds after the page has loaded the whole thing freezes. After about 10 seconds IE says it is unresponsive, then all I can do is close it. When I launch IE again it will tell me it closed down with problems but can attempt to reload the page - more often than not hitting the same freezing.

Sometimes it loads and works fine, sometimes it locks up almost straight away. Just now I had to relaunch IE 4 times before it would load long enough to click the Forum link, which appears to be working fine - I've not hit the same issues using any of the forum boards (main forums, UK, genre, union or game specific all seem to work fine).

Possibly coincidentally another forum I use hit similar problems about a month ago - I believe it was traced back to one of the advert providers having something that caused problems, and because it was a rolling banner that loaded a random ad (from a small list) also helped explain why sometimes people were able to access the site, while other times it would freeze.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Internet Explorer 9. All possible Windows updates applied. Using Nvidia 301.42 drivers

I've not tried accessing the site through other browsers, and have not tried the suggested compatibility mode.

This issue it intermittent and doesn't seem to have any particular steps I can take to make it happen 100% of the time. It's been happening on and off for maybe a week, but came here to check if others had had the problem after several freezes in a row.

markshim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 markshim

thats the same with me, it takes abot 4-5 time of trying b4 i can get the website to work. it still make ie9 unresponsive, it only been like this now for about a week and a half.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts
Potentially this could be caused by the page adverts, as I'm using IE9 and haven't had any problems at all.
lShadyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lShadyl
Member since 2010 • 179 Posts

Have you considered switching to Firefox or Chrome?

Not that this is the answer to your question, just a suggestion.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

lShadyl
Be careful. Some users take it as we are forcing that on them...not all but some get nasty. I know from experience...lol
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts
[QUOTE="lShadyl"]

Dracula68
Be careful. Some users take it as we are forcing that on them...not all but some get nasty. I know from experience...lol

That and it's better to find a solution to the problem, rather than a workaround. Changing browser isn't always an option for everybody either. (I mean, I'm still stuck using IE7 on my work machine. Great fun, I can tell you).
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
I also tend to suspect that it's advertising, and given the "freeze" aspect of it, it's probably a Flash object or maybe some pathological javascript, but if I had to bet a nickel I'd say it was something in Flash. I'm not really sure anymore, but I think IE still does Flash as an ActiveX object, which is to say, differently from everyone else. If trying another browser is not an option, that's fine, but trying another browser can be very valuable diagnostically if it's merely a matter of browser preference. If I were faced with an IE-specific issue like this and could not simply capture the network traffic, I would be tempted to uninstall the Flash ActiveX object to see if the problems stopped. From there it might be possible to identify offending domains and designate them as unsafe/untrusted or whatever (if IE can still do that) so that Flash objects from those domains won't execute. Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way I could walk someone through that off the top of my head, but maybe someone else can be more specific.

lShadyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lShadyl
Member since 2010 • 179 Posts

Be careful. Some users take it as we are forcing that on them...not all but some get nasty. I know from experience...lolDracula68

That and it's better to find a solution to the problem, rather than a workaround. Changing browser isn't always an option for everybody either. (I mean, I'm still stuck using IE7 on my work machine. Great fun, I can tell you).dab198
As I already said, it's not the solution, it's only a SUGGESTION.

rtyuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rtyuy
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I have noticed that the problem has been getting worse - I can access and browse through the gamespot website with firefox and chrome without any problems. But with internet explorer, it almost always freezes. I have tried all the suggested measure, like using ie without add-ons and resetting it to default configuration etc. but to no avail. I am surprised not more people are complaining.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Gamespot becomes unresponsive and IE prompts me to 'Recover Webpage'. The problem is at its worst on the homepage but I have had it happen in the forums, too.
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JodyR

Thanks for everyone's check-in! Those who have the issue seem to be located in UK so I've let the crew knew that it may be something related to your locations. We'll see what they say. :)

rtyuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rtyuy

Any update? It only affects ie9. Chrome and Firefox ok, but solution would be nice anyway:)

rtyuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rtyuy

Any update? It only affects ie9. Chrome and Firefox ok, but solution would be nice anyway:)

(Been trying to fiddle with ie9's settings but to no avail!)

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JodyR

rtyuy
Since it's UK specific at the moment, it may take them a while to figure this one out. So, you're saying that when you use Chrome and Firefox you encounter the issue too?
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

only a suggestion but since I started using the Maxthon browser I haven't even had a bonk on Fuse.

Maybe a coincidence but I've used it most of the time for almost 4 months now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="rtyuy"]

JodyR
Since it's UK specific at the moment, it may take them a while to figure this one out. So, you're saying that when you use Chrome and Firefox you encounter the issue too?

I'm in the US and my GS site has also been running very sluggishly. Not sure if it's from this above issue or something else. I usually use IE9, so everything seems to fit.
rtyuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rtyuy

"So, you're saying that when you use Chrome and Firefox you encounter the issue too?"

No Chrome and firefox are fine - the issue is internet explorer specific.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 iowastate

"So, you're saying that when you use Chrome and Firefox you encounter the issue too?"

No Chrome and firefox are fine - the issue is internet explorer specific.

rtyuy
Chrome, Firefox or Maxthon are fine.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I also tend to suspect that it's advertising, and given the "freeze" aspect of it, it's probably a Flash object or maybesome pathological javascript, but if I had to bet a nickel I'd say it was something in Flash. I'm not really sure anymore, but I think IE still does Flash as an ActiveX object, which is to say, differently from everyone else. If trying another browser is not an option, that's fine, but trying another browser can be very valuable diagnostically if it's merely a matter of browser preference. If I were faced with an IE-specific issue like this and could not simply capture the network traffic, I would be tempted to uninstall the Flash ActiveX object to see if the problems stopped. From there it might be possible to identify offending domains and designate them as unsafe/untrusted or whatever (if IE can still do that) so that Flash objects from those domains won't execute. Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way I could walk someone through that off the top of my head, but maybe someone else can be more specific.

gmax

I have to agree with gmax, as bad ads have been found before that were region-specific.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 iowastate

I don't think we mean to imply that the other browsers are totally free of slowdown issues but when I use Maxthon I have very little trouble with sluggishness in Gamespot or anywhere else and that is important especially when you work and do billing on line.

it is important to keep Flash up to date on all browsers in order to prevent crashes.

just as you need a different version for different Operating systems you also need a different version of flash player for different browsers.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JodyR

[QUOTE="JodyR"][QUOTE="rtyuy"]

sonicare

I'm in the US and my GS site has also been running very sluggishly. Not sure if it's from this above issue or something else. I usually use IE9, so everything seems to fit.

Yes, the slower loading times is a known problem because of the server changes. It's the people who are having their entire browser freeze while using IE9 that they're looking into. The other issue you're talking about is a known problem we hope to resolve soon.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JodyR
As for the ad issues, I'll report this as a possible reason.
rtyuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rtyuy

Last couple of days the problem seems to have gone - for me at least. Having said that, I am a bit too long in the tooth to assume that it is dead and buried :)

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JodyR

Last couple of days the problem seems to have gone - for me at least. Having said that, I am a bit too long in the tooth to assume that it is dead and buried :)

rtyuy
I believe this issue was considered resolved because the ad rotation for UK.gamespot.com changed. Let us know if you encounter it again, though.
damagetv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 damagetv
Member since 2005 • 55 Posts

For the record, this is still happening, six months later. It's particularly bad on review pages. I've an idea where the problem stems from, it seems to be connected to all the external sites Gamespot links to. I tested this by using an adblocker to block all the Facebook, Twitter and other social networking buttons, with each one I block the problem diminishes, so that now it only pauses for about 5 seconds every time a page loads. If I could track down the last components the page is loading I could probably eliminate the issue altogther, but clearly this is still troublesome.

And before you raise an eyebrow, I do have "allow some non-intrusive advertising" enabled so the normal banner ads still appear. I'm not adversed to those, as long as they don't get in the way or affect page loading times.

You can pretty much see it in action, the page loads and then about 10 seconds later the social buttons finally appear, which is what tipped me off in the first place. Best guess is that whatever I've missed is loading further down the page where I can't see it. In the meantime the browser freezes completely and you either have to wait, or deal with IE9 trying to recover the page (which just starts the problem again).

I guess if this was last reported in Sept 2012 and yet still hasn't been fixed, Gamespot's tech guys either think it's solved or could do with looking a bit more closely! Either way it's a bit of a shame as I visit this site pretty frequently.

Lots of people still use IE9, including me, simply because it starts instantly on W7 rather than the 2-3 second delay that Firefox and Chrome always have before loading. The default "switch to Firefox" jibe that inevitably follows (I do also use Firefox, but not as my primary browser) is fine for some, but not for me!

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JodyR
Thanks for your latest report, DamageTV.