Wireless controller not charging

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Amigro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Amigro
Member since 2003 • 737 Posts

Ok, so I'll try and explain the circumstances as simply as possible... I went out of town for a couple of weeks and left my 360 console and all the games at a friends house (these have already been stolen from me a couple of times at my apt). I hid the controllers at home because I didn't want them to get damaged when they were transported.

Since I have gotten back the controllers will not charge anymore. I have rechargeable battery paks and a plug'n'play wire. Whenever I hook it up the light shows up as green (instead of red, like it did before) and the controller works whenever it is plugged up, but dies as soon as I remove it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the batterie paks or the plug'n'play since it worked just fine before. Has this happened to anyone else and if so suggestions would be highly appreciated.

SneakySnake151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SneakySnake151
Member since 2008 • 191 Posts
it must be the batteries. maybe the batteries are dead and just can't charge anymore. i'm not sure. just keep it plugged in for now and maybe borrow a friend's batterie pack or buy a new one
Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hawkeye747
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

I know you said it shouldn't be the batteries, but that is what it sounds like is wrong. Is it possible that the guide or start buttons were constantly pushed (something leaning on them) while you were away? Maybe they were turning on the whole time and that would kill the battery since it was always trying to turn on. Totally exhausting Ni-Mh batteries is bad for them so that may have done it.

You could borrow a friends battery pack and find out if it is the battery pack or the cable.

Avatar image for LightSpecter101
LightSpecter101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LightSpecter101
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
To fix this problem plug in your controller (the red light should come on for a few seconds) when the green light comes on unplug the controller and plug it in again, continue this process until the red light stays on. This can take any where from 10-30 times till it works, the reasoning behind this?
Ni-Mh battery's loose 30% charge in this first day with no use, then the charge rate decreases and will completely discharge at room temperature in about 30 days. The problem that you have ran into is that the battery is so slow that it wont except a charge. The capacitance of the battery its self is changing polarity to a near neutral when it reaches such a dead point. By forcing the recharge on the battery over and over again you are giving the battery enough of a charge to allow it to recharge as per normal again.
I hope this helps you and any one else who comes across this problem!
alan12011984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alan12011984
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
that explanation is just what i was looking for. i have 2 batteries that wont charge. i get red for 2-3 seconds then green. i was just about to fork out for 2 new batteries, but i'll try this first. maybe this is my xbox punishing me for ignoring it for over a month...
xraystar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xraystar
Member since 2003 • 1150 Posts
To fix this problem plug in your controller (the red light should come on for a few seconds) when the green light comes on unplug the controller and plug it in again, continue this process until the red light stays on. This can take any where from 10-30 times till it works, the reasoning behind this?
Ni-Mh battery's loose 30% charge in this first day with no use, then the charge rate decreases and will completely discharge at room temperature in about 30 days. The problem that you have ran into is that the battery is so slow that it wont except a charge. The capacitance of the battery its self is changing polarity to a near neutral when it reaches such a dead point. By forcing the recharge on the battery over and over again you are giving the battery enough of a charge to allow it to recharge as per normal again.
I hope this helps you and any one else who comes across this problem!LightSpecter101

REALLY?! i'm having the same prob with one of my batts - going to try this when i get home!

Ted_Bundy000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ted_Bundy000
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts

I hope this helps you and any one else who comes across this problem!LightSpecter101

This should work. Same thing happens with all rechargable batteries. Technology hasn'y yet discovered how to prevent a rechargable bettery from having a 'memory.' What I mean is batteries that you can recharge ie. cellphone, 360/ps3/wii controller have a 'memory.' If you charge the battery full way and use it until it's about fifty percent, then put it on the charger again, the battery will remember that fifty percent is where it sould get charged so it will think that fifty percent is where it should 'die.' That is why most people at the cell phone stores tell you to only charge the battery when its almost dead.

killak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 killak
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
You goddamn LEGEND!!!. So it wasn't a racist controller (black wouldn't charge white battery), but merely a dead as hell battery. I just picked up the red LE controller, and it's doing the red for 10 secs then green thing. Sure enough, after about 20 tries, the red light has been on for the past 10 minutes. Absolutely legendary.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts

Ok, so I'll try and explain the circumstances as simply as possible... I went out of town for a couple of weeks and left my 360 console and all the games at a friends house (these have already been stolen from me a couple of times at my apt). I hid the controllers at home because I didn't want them to get damaged when they were transported.

Since I have gotten back the controllers will not charge anymore. I have rechargeable battery paks and a plug'n'play wire. Whenever I hook it up the light shows up as green (instead of red, like it did before) and the controller works whenever it is plugged up, but dies as soon as I remove it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the batterie paks or the plug'n'play since it worked just fine before. Has this happened to anyone else and if so suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Amigro
it is the batteries.it dont sound like ur friends have done anything. but what happens is if u keep charging any rechargable batteries without the battery being flat then ur slowly killing the full cells that never get used. if they dont get used and recharged then eventually these cells in the battery kinda turn stale from not getting used, then the battery turns these defective cells off. so if all the cells are now dead in the battery theys nothing it can charge so the lead tells the xbox yeah this pad is full because all the cells that are still good in the battery are very few now but all are charged all rechargable batteries work this way, its nothing to do with xbox. if u dont wait untill the batteries nearlly dead before charging then evneutaly after doing this over and over again the battery looses capacity. and evnetually it will be like a old laptop battery where it lies and says its full, when really most of the batteries cells are dead , so theys hardly any good ones to charge, so it appears to charge dead fast or look really full dead quick, when infact its hardly got anythign left. take it off the charger and ten mins later its out of battery. thats how these thigns work if u consistnantly charge them before they run out. same with normal recharge batteries, laptop batteries phone batteries, mouse batterires. might take a year or a few months but it always happens in the end. u must of had something before that charges the battery up and aftre a yr or so it was never the same and ran out dead fast,. thats why.
rodrigosalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rodrigosalas

i have the same problem, but the thing is that i bought a new play and charge kit, so the battery is new and the cable too, when im charging my batterie and disconnect the cable for some reason and then connect it again the light will turn red then 10 seconds later green, and when i shut down my xbox i cant leave my controller charging because it happens too since the controls turns off and then turns on again. Maybe is my controller? but is new also like two months old.

pd. sorry for my english is not my primary language 

Quakey29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Quakey29
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts

i have a similar problem with my controllers

one day my battery packs just wouldnt charge

i plug the "Plug and play" charger in, and the light doesnt light up and batterys dont charge

i tried buying new plug and play kits and tried on 3 different controllers 

only thing it can be is my xbox 360

cicobuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cicobuff

Fantastic advice, tried this with the 360 controller plugged into my laptop, after about 15 attempts light has now stayed on red and is charging. Was considering replacing what I thought was a faulty battery......thanks very much for this advice.

wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
i looked it up and microsoft said its the battery
zecc81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zecc81

Hey heres a new problem, My controller was dying and i decided to plug the charge and play kit in and NOTHING would come on, no green light, no red charging light, nothing... It's like it doens't even recognize the battery, and the battery symbol at the top of the guide menu goes away so it's like a wired controller now. It still does the spinning lights like it's low on batteries but it never dies because the charger is plugged in. Really wierd....

Mearik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mearik
Member since 2008 • 322 Posts

you are a king among men, i chucked my plug and play aside because of the not chargeing problem, i just pulled it out of the closet and its seeming to work it took 14 tryes of unplug and plug for it to stop turning green.

i got the plug n play in that 6 in 1 started kit only because the xbox remote was more expensive than the pack itself. so i scored a faceplate and an ehter net and a remote with this. Still havent tried that cooler thing looks like a piece of junk s ill call it a 5 in 1

brucelowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brucelowe
This advice worked like a charm for me...had the same problem on a new controller/battery, not used for over a month and this worked perfectly! Thanks
GearsFanaticX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GearsFanaticX
Member since 2009 • 103 Posts
i looked it up and microsoft said its the batterywwedx
ye i just looked it up to
Ack_Im_empty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ack_Im_empty
Member since 2002 • 149 Posts

Awesome! This helped me out today. I bought one of the limited ed. red controller and charge pack combo, and it would only hold about a 5 minute charge. I noticed the LED on the charge cable would stay red for only 20 seconds before turning to green. So far its been 10 minutes and its still red.

unbiased

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 unbiased
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I know this thread a few months old now, but just wanted to add that the plug and unplug thing works a charm, ive just been away, battery wouldnt charge and it was only 2 months old, did a quick google and led me to this, now batterys are workng perfectly again

Thanks alot

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
its the batteries, not the controller, happened to mine as well. i know mine are dead, too many recharges, now they wont even charge a little
adrian_vg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 adrian_vg
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Awesome! Your hint worked for me and with only three tries, and saved me both a trip to the gamestore for new batteries and significant amount of money for the same. Thanks!
Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
I think it's time to get a new battery pack man.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chaoscougar1
I think it's time to get a new battery pack man.Tree06
the thread is slightly old, i doubt he would be reading this :P
D3vilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 D3vilot
I know this thread is old and that the main contributor probably wont read this, but it has to be said: THANK YOU MAN. I live in Argentina (south america) and got this cable from a trip my dad made to mexico, so taking it back to the store was not even an option. Thanks again bro, wherever you are!
Riku659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Riku659
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
LightSpecter101 wrote: To fix this problem plug in your controller (the red light should come on for a few seconds) when the green light comes on unplug the controller and plug it in again, continue this process until the red light stays on. This can take any where from 10-30 times till it works, the reasoning behind this? Ni-Mh battery's loose 30% charge in this first day with no use, then the charge rate decreases and will completely discharge at room temperature in about 30 days. The problem that you have ran into is that the battery is so slow that it wont except a charge. The capacitance of the battery its self is changing polarity to a near neutral when it reaches such a dead point. By forcing the recharge on the battery over and over again you are giving the battery enough of a charge to allow it to recharge as per normal again. I hope this helps you and any one else who comes across this problem! Thank's dude this worked it worked on my third try :p
Theshado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Theshado
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Hell yeah. Thanks for that comment of unplugging/plugging back in a million times. I had done it before just out of aggravation, but this time it seemed worse and I thought the battery was toast. That advice saved me some bucks, and I appreciate it very much.
FAMASWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FAMASWarrior
Member since 2010 • 36 Posts
I find that by just leaving it on the charger for about 20 hours of gameplay, I unplug it from the charge kit.
Avatar image for MasterMuffinMan
MasterMuffinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MasterMuffinMan

That's done the trick for my controller too, I was just about to take the battery pack apart before I read this tip. Awesome advice :D

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

plug and play are only like $20, I'd buy a new one just to see if it your 360

exdeath202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 exdeath202
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I had bougth a red controller+battery pack. I had that problem, hell i had tried the plug unplug thing because i thoutght it would solve it, i did it like 5-6 times, but leaving the green light a minute or two and it didnt work, but then i found this and tried again 3 times plugging and unplugging as soon as it was green and it worked! I was going to send the battery to microsoft, and they were going to refund me the battery alone because they no longer produce it in red color. I tried to convince them that a red controller with a white battery wasnt acceptable. You just saved my red battery :D
Avatar image for DensetsuShounen
DensetsuShounen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DensetsuShounen
Hell boy, you deserve some thanks, took 42 tries here, I was almost giving up, and presto, damn light stayed red, hell, 10000 internets to you for the spot on advice.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#34 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

its the charger it self if nothing works somthing is short in the wirring , i had this happen os i had t obuy a new cable ,

Ichiziro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Ichiziro
Member since 2003 • 36 Posts

I know this thread hasn't been posted on in a little while, but I wanted to say I stumbled upon a little less time consuming method that worked for the problem everyones been having. If you just hold the charge cable to the controller, allowing it to make contact WITHOUT actually snapping it on, the controller will start to charge and the red light will not turn green. Wait about 10-20 seconds and you can snap it on and let the battery do its charging thang.

This method worked on 2 batteries for me. ;-)

Either is fine, hope I helped tho!

Carbonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Carbonite
Member since 2003 • 32 Posts

ohhh damn, you just saved me alot of grief and money =D

It works like a charm.. its charging now

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="LightSpecter101"]To fix this problem plug in your controller (the red light should come on for a few seconds) when the green light comes on unplug the controller and plug it in again, continue this process until the red light stays on. This can take any where from 10-30 times till it works, the reasoning behind this?
I hope this helps you and any one else who comes across this problem!Carbonite

ohhh damn, you just saved me alot of grief and money =D

It works like a charm.. its charging now

thread is from 2008, dont bump it