The RTS Machine ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Is the 360 this year going to develop the stigma of now being the " Strategy " machine rather then the shooterzzz machine ? j/k sorta

All of these are first quarter releases for the 360.

Culdcept Saga:

Culdcept Saga Picture

Warhammer: Battle March

World in Conflict:

Command & Conquer, Kane's Wrath

Universe at War, Earth Assault

Then, as many of you know; Civilization Revolution, Supreme Commander, Tom Clancy's End War in second quarter and of course Halo Wars in 2008 !

So what do you think ?

360 loses the shooter title and now gets pigeon holed as the strategy machine. :lol:

Weslii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Weslii
Member since 2007 • 2309 Posts
They would work best on Wii. They should bring some RTS to Wii.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Its going to be interesting to see how these RTS's turn out. I (a hardcore C&C fan) ended up buying C&C3 for the 360 (my computer at the time had trouble running C&C Generals) and was pleasently suprised by how well it controlled. It wasn't perfect and you couldn't really pull off any intricate strategies but it certainly got the job done, and Kane's Wrath's control scheme is supposed to be even better. There's also EndWar, which features one of the most amazing control schemes out there, is almost fully controllable with voice commands. While I question how the hell SupCom is going to be shoe-horned into the 360, RTS's are certainly no longer exclusively PC titles.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
RTSes being on a console is a joke. The most anyone can possibly say is that they allow you to experience the campaign, but anyone who says that the 360 at any time is a viable alternative to the PC for RTS gaming is just plain kidding themselves.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
They would work best on Wii. They should bring some RTS to Wii.Weslii
agreed.
Drukter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Drukter
Member since 2006 • 1484 Posts

[QUOTE="Weslii"]They would work best on Wii. They should bring some RTS to Wii.OGTiago
agreed.

Why. Not even Warcraft 3 would work on that machine :lol:

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice

RTSes being on a console is a joke. The most anyone can possibly say is that they allow you to experience the campaign, but anyone who says that the 360 at any time is a viable alternative to the PC for RTS gaming is just plain kidding themselves.mjarantilla
I would agree that there is nothing better then the full K.B. & mouse for this genre but...

My first ever RTS that was played on a console, the Genesis; Herzog Swei -the spelling i dunno :) was a awesome experience but I hear ya.

Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts

They would work best on Wii. They should bring some RTS to Wii.Weslii

Indeed. I think a Wii RTS would work out well.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mjarantilla
The RTS genre REQUIRES fast point and click controls. Even the Wii is deficient in that, but out of all consoles, it's in the best position to deliver. Well, unless they make an RTS that's KB/M compatible on the 360 or PS3.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice

I hear many claiming the Wii should get many of these but I think the problem is that the devs. & pubs. don't believe the Wii "overall" fan base would make these good sellers on that system.

May have some tech. problems too because as we know, the Wii is not much of a powerhouse on the tech. side of things and that does not just mean... Graphics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Culdcept isn't an RTS, though it does use strategy. :P

Man, I can't wait.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

The RTS genre REQUIRES fast point and click controls. Even the Wii is deficient in that, but out of all consoles, it's in the best position to deliver. Well, unless they make an RTS that's KB/M compatible on the 360 or PS3.mjarantilla

if they make a system that gives kb/m an advantage it would sell badly.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice

Culdcept isn't an RTS, though it does use strategy. :P

Man, I can't wait.

Jandurin

I knew someone would say it and made a side bet it would be you - I won ! :lol:

They are all listed as strategy games but my title does say RTS so yeah... :P

PS - I needed to include that title because I knew you would enjoy it.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ontain

I hear many claiming the Wii should get many of these but I think the problem is that the devs. & pubs. don't believe the Wii "overall" fan base would make these good sellers on that system.

May have some tech. problems too because as we know, the Wii is not much of a powerhouse on the tech. side of things and that does not just mean... Graphics.

SecretPolice

it agree it's mostly the dev's and pubs that are the problem. they seem stuck in their ways.

as for tech problems. since the wii is only 480p it could do Warcraft3 type rts games with ease. heck rts players still play starcraft so we know graphics aren't the major concern for "hardcore" RTS players.

Koba123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Koba123
Member since 2005 • 1739 Posts
A lot of RTS-es = Enough training to make RTS games work better on consoles.

Everyone wins.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

PS - I needed to include that title because I knew you would enjoy it.SecretPolice
:D

15 days until it comes out. ...

The bad thing is, it comes out on my girlfriend's birthday. I really have to figure out where my priorities lay. :P

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ontain

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]PS - I needed to include that title because I knew you would enjoy it.Jandurin

The bad thing is, it comes out on my girlfriend's birthday. I really have to figure out where my priorities lay. :P

if you buy the game on her b-day don't let her know. she could just see it as another 50 bucks you could have spent on her ;)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Ontain

it agree it's mostly the dev's and pubs that are the problem. they seem stuck in their ways.

as for tech problems. since the wii is only 480p it could do Warcraft3 type rts games with ease. heck rts players still play starcraft so we know graphics aren't the major concern for "hardcore" RTS players.

I don't know how taxing the programming is for these type of games - really.

That is why I noted the tech. side and not just graphics because I don't know if it has to do with taxing A.I. and such.

The graphics on these are just icing on the cake and the strategy part is the meat of the game IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]PS - I needed to include that title because I knew you would enjoy it.Ontain

if you buy the game on her b-day don't let her know. she could just see it as another 50 bucks you could have spent on her ;)

She knows how much the game means to me. She actually gave me permission to ignore her. But, I think that actually means that if I take her up on it, I will be... in trouble. lol
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="Ontain"][QUOTE="Jandurin"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]PS - I needed to include that title because I knew you would enjoy it.Jandurin

She knows how much the game means to me. She actually gave me permission to ignore her. But, I think that actually means that if I take her up on it, I will be... in trouble. lol

:lol: You just may be wiser beyond you're years - well done !
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ontain
[QUOTE="Ontain"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

SecretPolice

That is why I noted the tech. side and not just graphics because I don't know if it has to do with taxing A.I. and such.

The graphics on these are just icing on the cake and the strategy part is the meat of the game IMO.

well warcraft3's min requirements are

400 MHz Pentium II or equivalent, or a 400 MHz G3 processor or better.
128 megs RAM.

doesn't seem like it taxes the cpu much. the ram needed for a wii version could be lowered since there's no OS to worry about.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ontain

She knows how much the game means to me. She actually gave me permission to ignore her. But, I think that actually means that if I take her up on it, I will be... in trouble. lolJandurin

don't know about your gf. but for many chicks i know I would call that a test. they love stupid tests :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="Ontain"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Ontain

well warcraft3's min requirements are

400 MHz Pentium II or equivalent, or a 400 MHz G3 processor or better.
128 megs RAM.

doesn't seem like it taxes the cpu much. the ram needed for a wii version could be lowered since there's no OS to worry about.

Okay, cool. As I said, I didn't know so it most be devs & pubs think it would not sell though at least here at GS they may be wrong. :)
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
i personally wouldn't touch rts on console or shooters for that matter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
i personally wouldn't touch rts on console or shooters for that matternaval
Yes yes. PC is god. Thanks for the input.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

[QUOTE="naval"]i personally wouldn't touch rts on console or shooters for that matterJandurin

hmm... it came out wrongly. what i meant was if i buy consoles i will ignore fps and rts from their lineup and see the remaining games for my choices.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="naval"]i personally wouldn't touch rts on console or shooters for that matternaval

hmm... it came out wrongly. what i meant was if i buy consoles i will ignore fps and rts from their lineup and see the remaining games for my choices.

fair enough. I agree on rts, but shooters can work alright as long as you only play them single player or coop multiplayer. it gets much more frustrating using dual-analogues in vs. multiplayer.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

RTS machine? No.

Kane's Wrath will be a decent title, but any if not all of those titles will be limited in some way or another (Kane's Wrath will have a unit limit count, as did the original CnC3, unlike the PC version), and this can lead to repetitive and often times boring strategy. (Spam 1 strong unit until maxed in command points).

The lack of drawing boxes (to select units) on 360 for CnC3 really bothered me, and EALA's lack of developer support didn't help either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

RTS machine? No.

Kane's Wrath will be a decent title, but any if not all of those titles will be limited in some way or another (Kane's Wrath will have a unit limit count, as did the original CnC3, unlike the PC version), and this can lead to repetitive and often times boring strategy.

Saturos3091
Didn't WC3 have a unit limit?
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]

RTS machine? No.

Kane's Wrath will be a decent title, but any if not all of those titles will be limited in some way or another (Kane's Wrath will have a unit limit count, as did the original CnC3, unlike the PC version), and this can lead to repetitive and often times boring strategy.

Jandurin

It might've. It probably did it RIGHT by assigning different point values to each unit, and with a game like CnC the economy is (probably) much faster (so mass 50 Mammoth Tanks, Tripods, PACs, etc. and hopefully win; next to impossible to win in a 2 v 2 as Nod against good players unless you have a teammate who knows what he's doing). I haven't played WC3 (yet) so I have yet to judge :).

My comment was more directed at CnC though. It's still a great game...just needs some fine tuning in the balance department (thank god EA is working on that with patch 1.10 for PC only, as 1.09 didn't help much).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Ah, you mean the game you are referring to limits units by just an actual unit limit. Lame.

Yeah, I think it was WC3, but whatever it was, it had a limit based on each unit, not just on amount of units.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ontain
[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]

RTS machine? No.

Jandurin

along with like 99% of all rts games.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Saturos3091

Ah, you mean the game you are referring to limits units by just an actual unit limit. Lame.

Yeah, I think it was WC3, but whatever it was, it had a limit based on each unit, not just on amount of units.

Jandurin

Yeah, if they did that I'd be okay with it. That's logical and makes sense, but 1 rifle squad counting for the same number of unit points as a massive tank that can obliterate base defense, aircraft, and infantry? Don't think so.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="Saturos3091"]

RTS machine? No.

Ontain

along with like 99% of all rts games.

I hate unit limits. I'd much rather have unit upkeep costs, like in Supreme Commander. That's how it works in real life. You have to balance income with combat ability.