This topic is locked from further discussion.

childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 childe_roland
Member since 2003 • 2542 Posts
I just got a new mac book pro and I'm running boot camp so I have XP installed as well as OSX, can anyone recommend some solid shoot em ups?  I'm not talking first person, I mean Gradius/r-type/raystorm/1942 style blow everything up scrolling shooters.  There's no real section on GameSpot devoted solely to the original die hard shooter so it's tough to find any solid ones, any ideas are much appreciated, thanks.  Oh,  my system is pretty solid as far as graphics capabilities go so don't hold back based on performance, thanks again.  :)
MegaWang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MegaWang
Member since 2006 • 287 Posts
Alien Shooter: Vengeance.
childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 childe_roland
Thanks! i'll check it out :)
eddy96_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 eddy96_1
Member since 2003 • 1388 Posts
COD2 and the original COD are good games... battlefield 2142 but yea thats it really i wish there was a game like resistance or black on the pc were u could just blow crap and run around and gun mindlessly
CLAPPERDUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 CLAPPERDUDE
Member since 2003 • 81 Posts

A couple suggestions id have is AstroAvenger and Shadowgrounds.

AstroAvenger is a 3-d space shooter/scroller game that you are probably looking for...one of the few ive seen 3-d and also has upgradable system for your ship.  GAME LINK

AstroAvenger

Shadowgrounds is a top-down perspective shooter. Kinda a doom3ish atmoshpere...and lots of fun mindless shooting. GAME LINK

shadowgrounds

kvn8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kvn8907
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
One of the best free shooters I've seen is the Drakojan Skies series, by OmegaDragon3000. I don't claim to understand the story (something about dragons and wars) but it's got all the aspects of a good shoot'em up side scroller flight game, with plenty of varying enemies, weapons upgrades, and powerful bosses to fight at the end of the level. In addition, it has the best special effects I've ever seen in an aircraft shooter game, and very good graphics too. There are three parts done so far I think, Mission 1, Mission 2, and an incomplete (I think it's still incomplete) game called Drakojan Skies Acolytes. Here's a link to Mission 1.
 http://www.ugoplayer.com/games/drakojanskiesmission1.html
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts
This thread rocks. Shadow grounds and the other games look sweet
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
go for Call of Duty 2 - it seems like it'll be a tactical shooter, but then you start playing and it's definitely a run and gun. And it's a quick beat at about 7 hours if you are slow. Very, very fun and immersive.
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

thank you for making this thread!

i totally loved r-ype when i was younger, especially that boss in (i think?) r-type 3 that looks like a giant penis - those were great days! i remember really loving the chaos engine too, and loaded - it's such a cool genre

converting to pc gaming made me pretty much forget about the genre as a whole, though! i'm downloading the shadowgrounds demo right now though, looks like a nice fun game

bringing back some major suppressed memories here... i blame half life!

NintenAlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NintenAlive
Member since 2005 • 1174 Posts

COD2 and the original COD are good games... battlefield 2142 but yea thats it really i wish there was a game like resistance or black on the pc were u could just blow crap and run around and gun mindlesslyeddy96_1

F.E.A.R.

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
COD2 and the original COD are good games... battlefield 2142 but yea thats it really i wish there was a game like resistance or black on the pc were u could just blow crap and run around and gun mindlesslyeddy96_1
go for Call of Duty 2 - it seems like it'll be a tactical shooter, but then you start playing and it's definitely a run and gun. And it's a quick beat at about 7 hours if you are slow. Very, very fun and immersive.krazyorange

[QUOTE="eddy96_1"]COD2 and the original COD are good games... battlefield 2142 but yea thats it really i wish there was a game like resistance or black on the pc were u could just blow crap and run around and gun mindlesslyNintenAlive

F.E.A.R.

You guys need to actually read the original post before you bother posting. 

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

Well the absolute best shooter type games in PC Game history is:

Tyrian - I consider this one probally the best overall.  TONS of secret stuff, gameplay modes, and quality action.  Oh...did I mention it is now free :)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~vannevar/tyrian/downloads.html

Raptor - Old school shooting action.  Use money earned to buy weapons in between missions.  Great game.

http://www.3drealms.com/raptor/

Steel Saviour - Probally the best look action shooter I have played, although the difficulty level is INSANE.  Great fun though, very well made game.

http://www.steelsaviour.com/

I recommend at least checking out Tyrian.  Its a real ****c and it's free...so nothing to loose.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
lol...they censored c l a s s i c...
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts
Technosylph and sentimental shooting are loads of fun. Technosylph has nice visuals, and sentimental shooting is just hilarious.
g3Ty3LL0w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 g3Ty3LL0w
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Theres a Unreal Tournament 2004 Mod called Alien Swarm.  Its multiplayer coop from top-down perspective.

http://www.blackcatgames.com/alienswarm.html

If you want a mindless fps, try Starship Troopers.  Basically you just mow down a bunch of bugs.  Gamespot gave it a 3.8 but I enjoyed it.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/starshiptroopers/index.html?q=starship%20troopers 

childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 childe_roland
I'm glad you guys appreciate this thread so much, I really love GameSpot and think they're doing a superb job but not having a shoot em up catagory is really hard to accept, is the old school shooter not a genre? Come on GameSpot we need you to give us a shooter catagory so we can find great games like the ones recommended above(aside from fear and cod2), shoot em ups are a genre and should be treated like one by GameSpot.  Anyway thanks for all of the great titles to those of you that read my post, I cant wait to play all of these!!!! :) :)
crapdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 crapdog
Member since 2006 • 427 Posts

I'm glad you guys appreciate this thread so much, I really love GameSpot and think they're doing a superb job but not having a shoot em up catagory is really hard to accept, is the old school shooter not a genre? Come on GameSpot we need you to give us a shooter catagory so we can find great games like the ones recommended above(aside from fear and cod2), shoot em ups are a genre and should be treated like one by GameSpot. Anyway thanks for all of the great titles to those of you that read my post, I cant wait to play all of these!!!! :) :)childe_roland

i think its because there are to few those games to create a seperate category and 

because most of em are 10-15 years old (thats why you also call them retro shooters)

fot pc there are alien shooter,shadowgrounds and raptor and if you really into retro shooters 

get yourself an amiga or c64 lol 

Third_3y3-O0O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Third_3y3-O0O
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The Max Payne and Medal of Honor series :P
childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 childe_roland

[QUOTE="childe_roland"]I'm glad you guys appreciate this thread so much, I really love GameSpot and think they're doing a superb job but not having a shoot em up catagory is really hard to accept, is the old school shooter not a genre? Come on GameSpot we need you to give us a shooter catagory so we can find great games like the ones recommended above(aside from fear and cod2), shoot em ups are a genre and should be treated like one by GameSpot. Anyway thanks for all of the great titles to those of you that read my post, I cant wait to play all of these!!!! :) :)crapdog

i think its because there are to few those games to create a seperate category and 

because most of em are 10-15 years old (thats why you also call them retro shooters)

fot pc there are alien shooter,shadowgrounds and raptor and if you really into retro shooters 

get yourself an amiga or c64 lol 

Although scrolling shooters died when the xbox and ps2 arrived, they we're recently resurrected with the new gen of systems downloadble games.  New and original shooters are not as prominent as they we're in the early 90's but games like Alien Hominid and Geometry Wars are keeping the genre on life support for now.  The shoot em up arguably has one of the largest library of games historically, when you take into account everything from the NES to the PS1 alone, you're looking at the Neo Geo, SuperNES, Sega,Genesis, arcade, the scroller dominated, as a genre it was and still is known as an extremely frustrating and unforgiving style of game, completely dependent on hand/eye coordination.   Shoot em' ups are the epitome of the videogame, mindless, loud, violent and super offensive as background noise.  I dunno, I really do think they deserve more of a place here at GameSpot, it would be nice to see some sort of a throwback to them sometime as well, maybe a special '10 ways the scrolling shooter influenced the games we play today' article. (sorry about the spelling, it's 5am whee i am and im tired)
childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 childe_roland
Anyone else feel like dropping the names of some solid scrollers???
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

Some great info/links - thanks.

This reminds me a bit of an online game called Subspace Continuum (http://www.subspacedownloads.com/)

I havent played in awhile but looks like they updated it and it is free and pretty fun....many different environments as well.

nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

Space Tripper.

8)

DannyWalkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DannyWalkman
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Nice thread guys. It's a pity that it died long time ago. I've always enjoyed these types of games and here is my favourite list: Alien Shooter (all of them) Zombie Shooter (1 & 2) Dead Nation Nation Red Shadow Grounds Call of Duty - Black Ops Commandos 3 Unreal Tournament 2004 - Alien Swarm and also these 2 which are different kind of "shoot'em up's": Zombie Driver Mexican Motor Mafia
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Please don't bump old threads. Thanks.