The "What Can I Do For The Union?" Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts
Howdy ya'll, Are you bored? Got nothing to do. Well I will be updating this topic whenever something else can be done for the union.

What Can I Do For the Union (Last Updated March 7, 2007)

- Post, we need activity, so post, but remember to stay within the context of the union
- Send me Ideas, we always could use new ideas.
- Help me with the Writers Guide, I need help with it, any ideas, suggestions or info for it is appreiated.

Post in this topic if you are taking a job, if not, don't post.
Rintaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Rintaran
Member since 2007 • 195 Posts
As I said in the announcement, I'm volunteering myself to run some mini-challenges that some published authors that I've met have suggested to me. I'll be putting several up over the March Break, and probably space out some others after my week "off" is up. I've a huge challenge/competition that I'll start posting about in October though... You may already be familiar with that one, but if not, I'm sure you'll find it maddening. :)
Lance_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Lance_C
Member since 2004 • 34544 Posts
I created some tags:

These are the faulty ones, but I'll leave them here nonetheless. Faulty because of the placed apostrophe:

Here are the correct ones:

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sparky-05
Lance, that is beautiful. You can find the union tags here. Thank you very much.
-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts

Nice designs, Lance. :D

Oh, and Sparky.  I think you could, for the quote of the week, maybe hold suggestions for the next one.  Oh, and we need more writing contests.  That Game Idea Contest was great.

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sparky-05

Oh, and Sparky. I think you could, for the quote of the week, maybe hold suggestions for the next one. Oh, and we need more writing contests. That Game Idea Contest was great.

-The-G-Man-

I take suggestions, just private message them to me

As for contests, more will come next week. I just need more ideas ...
Lance_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Lance_C
Member since 2004 • 34544 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the compliments... a union like this needs to have tags :)
-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -The-G-Man-
[QUOTE="-The-G-Man-"]

Oh, and Sparky. I think you could, for the quote of the week, maybe hold suggestions for the next one. Oh, and we need more writing contests. That Game Idea Contest was great.

Sparky-05

I take suggestions, just private message them to me

We could have a review contest.  But seeing as how everyone's views on how reviews should be written are quite different, that might be a little hard.

Avatar image for atomsmasher1313
atomsmasher1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 atomsmasher1313
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts
is there any reason the sig isnt in my name?  i put it in my sig 10 min. ago.
Rintaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rintaran

We could have a review contest. But seeing as how everyone's views on how reviews should be written are quite different, that might be a little hard.

-The-G-Man-
The other problem with a review contest stems from how people's opinions of the game being reviewed will affect their grading of the piece.

Sparky-O5
One competition, probably a little more complicated and definitely more time intensive, could be a novel writing competition (similar to NaNoWriMo). Basically, we give a time line to do all our rough work. To perform our research, brainstorming, mind maps, outlines, character sketches, whatever, and post them in our own threads (named Username's Novel Storm - Contest #x). I'd suggest two weeks of amassing our information. Then, it's a matter of setting word goals. I'd say, 13209 words per week. Run it over the course of 8 weeks, tracking the leading writers in a Contest Info thread. If you're a little low on words one week, it doesn't matter so long as you break catch up before the end. By the end of 8 weeks, a novel's length of 105672 words will have been, theoretically, written by each winning contestant. Winners and runners up get to glory in their victory with a special tag for their siggy's perhaps? Understandably, this draft is going to be pure crap. But that could then lead into an editing competition of about the same length (or maybe a little shorter). In the end, competitors will have completed novels that have undergone two drafts, that they can continue to edit and fix on their own time for possible submission to a publisher (if they wish). It's an idea, and would definitely be a major project for people to take up on the forums. But it'll help build post count a bit eh.
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sparky-05
[QUOTE="-The-G-Man-"]

We could have a review contest. But seeing as how everyone's views on how reviews should be written are quite different, that might be a little hard.

Rintaran
The other problem with a review contest stems from how people's opinions of the game being reviewed will affect their grading of the piece.

Sparky-O5
One competition, probably a little more complicated and definitely more time intensive, could be a novel writing competition (similar to NaNoWriMo). Basically, we give a time line to do all our rough work. To perform our research, brainstorming, mind maps, outlines, character sketches, whatever, and post them in our own threads (named Username's Novel Storm - Contest #x). I'd suggest two weeks of amassing our information. Then, it's a matter of setting word goals. I'd say, 13209 words per week. Run it over the course of 8 weeks, tracking the leading writers in a Contest Info thread. If you're a little low on words one week, it doesn't matter so long as you break catch up before the end. By the end of 8 weeks, a novel's length of 105672 words will have been, theoretically, written by each winning contestant. Winners and runners up get to glory in their victory with a special tag for their siggy's perhaps? Understandably, this draft is going to be pure crap. But that could then lead into an editing competition of about the same length (or maybe a little shorter). In the end, competitors will have completed novels that have undergone two drafts, that they can continue to edit and fix on their own time for possible submission to a publisher (if they wish). It's an idea, and would definitely be a major project for people to take up on the forums. But it'll help build post count a bit eh.

Thats a massive contest, would take work, if people expressed interest in it then I would be all for it.

As for reviews, I do fear the same thing that people would hate a review simply because of its score.

Keep the ideas comnig guys!
-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -The-G-Man-
[QUOTE="Rintaran"][QUOTE="-The-G-Man-"]

Sparky-05

Sparky-O5

Thats a massive contest, would take work, if people expressed interest in it then I would be all for it.

As for reviews, I do fear the same thing that people would hate a review simply because of its score.

Keep the ideas comnig guys!

The novel-writing contest sounds good, but I think me might simplify it.  It seems a little overly complicated, so we could just focus on the novel itself.  We would have to submit maybe a chapter so over a set period of time to show we're actually working.  I apologize if I butchered the entire idea!

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sparky-05
The novel-writing contest sounds good, but I think me might simplify it. It seems a little overly complicated, so we could just focus on the novel itself. We would have to submit maybe a chapter so over a set period of time to show we're actually working. I apologize if I butchered the entire idea!-The-G-Man-

Well a lot of writing is in the process, so ya ... from what I see, you pretty much butchered the idea and took a short cut ... but sadly that just might be what would help, the idea here would only be good for a summer or something. School is often hetic for a lot of people and that much work a week is inattainable.
-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -The-G-Man-

[QUOTE="-The-G-Man-"]The novel-writing contest sounds good, but I think me might simplify it. It seems a little overly complicated, so we could just focus on the novel itself. We would have to submit maybe a chapter so over a set period of time to show we're actually working. I apologize if I butchered the entire idea!Sparky-05

Well a lot of writing is in the process, so ya ... from what I see, you pretty much butchered the idea and took a short cut ... but sadly that just might be what would help, the idea here would only be good for a summer or something. School is often hetic for a lot of people and that much work a week is inattainable.

Well, I tried to create a shortcut because I was operating under the assumption it might take during school.  If it was done during the summer it could be doable.

Avatar image for atomsmasher1313
atomsmasher1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 atomsmasher1313
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts
thanks a ton sparky, sig is fine FINALLY

Rintaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rintaran
I did NaNoWriMo during November. For university students, November is crunch time, and my first year entering NaNoWriMo, I had over 100k words of essays to write on top of the 50k for the novel, plus all the other work (including a 20hr per week job) that I normally do in a month. I only managed 35k words that year, but even with that, it was a major achievement for me. 100k, with the minor workload of high school students, over two months, really isn't that difficult, especially if you have your research and outline prepared ahead of time... In my second year, I completed NaNoWriMo with over a week to spare.

The reason for posting the research/outline part was not so much as a part of the contest, as to help us get through it (and get more posts on this board to help us get up those levels) ;) The actual competition is the novel-writing part.
Avatar image for zinedinezidane1
zinedinezidane1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 zinedinezidane1
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
Howdy ya'll, Are you bored? Got nothing to do. Well I will be updating this topic whenever something else can be done for the union.

What Can I Do For the Union (Last Updated March 7, 2007)

- Post, we need activity, so post, but remember to stay within the context of the union
- Create a New Icon, we need a new icon, I'll give you details when you accept this job.
- Send me Ideas, we always could use new ideas.
- Help me with the Writers Guide, I need help with it, any ideas, suggestions or info for it is appreiated.

Post in this topic if you are taking a job, if not, don't post.
Sparky-05
i will try me best
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sparky-05
This topic is locked, look in the Union Information topic for this list. I am cutting down on stickies :D
Avatar image for HyperMetaDragon
HyperMetaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 HyperMetaDragon
Member since 2006 • 5345 Posts
Sparks, I'm gonna resticky this thread. ;) There have been a lot of questions lately about this, so I think it'd be a good idea at this point of time to resticky it (we can always unsticky it when we want).