GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts

Donkey Kong Country Returns is getting a 3DS makeover in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. It was announced in the newest Nintendo Direct, and will be out this summer. LINK

donkeykongcountryreturns3d530.jpg

What do you think about this game? Discuss here!

game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 game-ster23
Member since 2009 • 17328 Posts
Kind of surprised to see a Wii title getting a remake all ready. I so hoping to see GameCube titles getting remakes for the handheld such as F-Zero GX.
GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GamerofMario1
I at first thought it was an actual new game, but I was disappointed when it wasn't. :P
JBL_Fan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JBL_Fan7
Member since 2011 • 477 Posts
DKCR was an awesome game. I think it is worthy of a remake.
game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 game-ster23
It seems too early for a remake in my opinion.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#6 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Yeah this one is nice and all but this DKC is still too fresh in my memory. I still have my Wii copy. Unlike the HD WW remake, I haven't had time to miss this one yet so unless it has some new content, I may pass. Meanwhile we're all still waiting for DK64 to show up for download. ahem!!

game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 game-ster23

Yeah this one is nice and all but this DKC is still too fresh in my memory. I still have my Wii copy. Unlike the HD WW remake, I haven't had time to miss this one yet so unless it has some new content, I may pass. Meanwhile we're all still waiting for DK64 to show up for download. ahem!!

kbaily
I bought DK64 for 25 cents at a thrift shop a few years ago. :P
GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamerofMario1
I downloaded the video from the 3DS eShop, and it looked pretty good. The 3D could be better, though.
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#9 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

The Wii version only just came out a little over two years ago, which I do have. They should do a sequel to it instead, if you ask me. I can't see myself getting the 3DS version.

game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 game-ster23

The Wii version only just came out a little over two years ago, which I do have. They should do a sequel to it instead, if you ask me. I can't see myself getting the 3DS version.

TAMKFan
I certainly won't, owning the original as well.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kbaily

[QUOTE="TAMKFan"]

game-ster23

I certainly won't, owning the original as well.

I agree. Where I'm looking forward to the WW remake, this one unless it really offers some new content, I'll pass. I still have my Wii version.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GamerofMario1
Yeah, it would need substantial amounts of new content for me to get it. Maybe some minigames, or a second quest, or a new online modes.
game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 game-ster23

I would rather see Donkey Kong 64 get remade in 3D, but that will never happen with Microsoft owning Rare now.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GamerofMario1

I would rather see Donkey Kong 64 get remade in 3D, but that will never happen with Microsoft owning Rare now.

game-ster23

Did that one ever come out on Wii VC?

game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 game-ster23
[QUOTE="game-ster23"]

GamerofMario1

Did that one ever come out on Wii VC?

No it didn't for the same reason.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kbaily

The whole MS/Rare thing has nothing to do with DK64 not being on the VC. Yeah Rare made the game but they also made the DKC games for the SNES and those are all available to download because Nintendo owns the rights to DK. Diddy Kong racing was an issue mainly because of Banjo and Conker who got swapped out for Dixie and Tiny for the DS rerelease.

What I heard about DK64 was it had to do with the storage size of that game and the limits of the Wii's memory space. Remember DK64 had that "banana booster" thing you stuck in the console to hold all the content.

Also, I played DK64 at my cousin's and honestly I didn't think too much of it. It had a bad case of "Sonic Adventure Syndrome" of too many damn playable characters that you were forced into playing to finish areas. Each character in each level had their own bananas and stuff to collect, their own stuff to do, and the collecting just was waaaaaay too tedious. Going back to Banjo Tooie it had even started to go overboard on the amount of stuff you had to collect and the insane amount of backtracking. Like you couldn't just collect honeycomb pieces for another health bar like in the first game, you had to collect so many, then go back to the hub, back to the beehive to exchange them. DK64 takes it even further and it doesn't take long for tedium to set in.

There were a lot of Nintendo titles that never made it to the VC for unknown reasons. Earthbound at least had to do with liscencing issues but where was Yoshi's Island? the original Starfox? Not to mention a slew of Japanese only releases that could be ported over. But if the WiiU has more space, DK64 may show it's face yet.

game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 game-ster23

The whole MS/Rare thing has nothing to do with DK64 not being on the VC. Yeah Rare made the game but they also made the DKC games for the SNES and those are all available to download because Nintendo owns the rights to DK. Diddy Kong racing was an issue mainly because of Banjo and Conker who got swapped out for Dixie and Tiny for the DS rerelease.

What I heard about DK64 was it had to do with the storage size of that game and the limits of the Wii's memory space. Remember DK64 had that "banana booster" thing you stuck in the console to hold all the content.

Also, I played DK64 at my cousin's and honestly I didn't think too much of it. It had a bad case of "Sonic Adventure Syndrome" of too many damn playable characters that you were forced into playing to finish areas. Each character in each level had their own bananas and stuff to collect, their own stuff to do, and the collecting just was waaaaaay too tedious. Going back to Banjo Tooie it had even started to go overboard on the amount of stuff you had to collect and the insane amount of backtracking. Like you couldn't just collect honeycomb pieces for another health bar like in the first game, you had to collect so many, then go back to the hub, back to the beehive to exchange them. DK64 takes it even further and it doesn't take long for tedium to set in.

There were a lot of Nintendo titles that never made it to the VC for unknown reasons. Earthbound at least had to do with liscencing issues but where was Yoshi's Island? the original Starfox? Not to mention a slew of Japanese only releases that could be ported over. But if the WiiU has more space, DK64 may show it's face yet.

kbaily
Oh yeah. I forgot about the Donkey Kong Country series, and never heard the expansion pak being called the banana booster.
GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GamerofMario1

kbaily

I always wondered why Star Fox never made it. Maybe Nintendo thought it was too dated, or that first-time buyers would be too off-put by the dialogue. Or the best reason, (in my opinion) is that Nintendo thought it would be redundant to have the original and 64, since 64 is pretty much a reimagining. It didn't stop other companies from rereleasing games multiple times on VC.

JBL_Fan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#19 JBL_Fan7
Member since 2011 • 477 Posts

Hey guys... This might be the DKCR 3D box art...

donkey_kong_country_returns_3d_box_art_s

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 SloganYams
Member since 2010 • 981 Posts

Rare has nothing to do with DK64 not making it onto the Virtual Console. Nintendo owns the DK franchise and characters. And yes, Nintendo also owns the Kremlings, so let's not get into that.

Anyway, I actually will be getting DKCR3D. For a lesser game I'd say it's too soon, but it was just exceptional. The best modern platformer outside of the Galaxy games. Plus I'm just an immense DKC fan all around. 

game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 game-ster23

Hey guys... This might be the DKCR 3D box art...

donkey_kong_country_returns_3d_box_art_s

JBL_Fan7
How original. :P
GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GamerofMario1
I might get this remake if the price goes down enough. I'm sure some new information will be released at E3 in June.
game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 game-ster23
I might get this remake if the price goes down enough. GamerofMario1
I feel same way with the 3D version of Ocarina of Time, but It'll probably never go on sale. :(
SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 SloganYams
Member since 2010 • 981 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerofMario1"]I might get this remake if the price goes down enough. game-ster23
I feel same way with the 3D version of Ocarina of Time, but It'll probably never go on sale. :(

Even Super Smash Bros. Brawl went on sale eventually...although it took like three and a half years. 

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GamerofMario1

[QUOTE="game-ster23"][QUOTE="GamerofMario1"]I might get this remake if the price goes down enough. SloganYams

Even Super Smash Bros. Brawl went on sale eventually...although it took like three and a half years. 

Yep, we just have to wait. Although the original DKCR got its price slashed in 2012, I think, so the wait might be less for the remake.