MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MaceKhan
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts
I've always hated how they made the soldiers in TP cowards, because I have always viewed soldiers as courageous warriors who are willing to sacrifice themselves for the people they have sworn to protect. But recently, I realized why the soldiers were all cowards, its because all the good soldiers were killed when Zant attacked Hyrule Castle.
enemylines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 enemylines
Member since 2008 • 196 Posts
That is one theory,but i always thought that hyrule was so peaceful that they had no need to properly train there soldiers.
MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MaceKhan

That is one theory,but i always thought that hyrule was so peaceful that they had no need to properly train there soldiers.enemylines
I suppose thats a possibility, but whats the point of having an army if your not going to train it properly?

EDIT: Of course, it could easily be a result of both theories.

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

[QUOTE="enemylines"]That is one theory,but i always thought that hyrule was so peaceful that they had no need to properly train there soldiers.MaceKhan

I suppose thats a possibility, but whats the point of having an army if your not going to train it properly?

What's the point of training your army when you have a legendary hero that does all the work for you ? :P

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MaceKhan
[QUOTE="MaceKhan"]

[QUOTE="enemylines"]That is one theory,but i always thought that hyrule was so peaceful that they had no need to properly train there soldiers.NWA_31

What's the point of training your army when you have a legendary hero that does all the work for you ? :P

Remember the intro movie for WW? No hero came to save them, and the world was flooded:P.
shionone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 shionone
Member since 2003 • 4670 Posts
I always thought that the remaining soldiers were just brainwashed and couldn't have fought back even if they wanted to. Had to leave something for the Hero to do. :)
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Gary_Jinfield
Member since 2005 • 6614 Posts
At the end of the day, soldiers are still humans and thus may susceptible to basic emotions. (Especially in the face of the supernatural) however, the ideal of running away to live another day may indeed apply here to a certain extent. It should be also mentioned that an ineffective and inept military is a rather common device in entertainment, forcing the need for a hero.
MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MaceKhan
At the end of the day, soldiers are still humans and thus may susceptible to basic emotions. (Especially in the face of the supernatural) however, the ideal of running away to live another day may indeed apply here to a certain extent. It should be also mentioned that an ineffective and inept military is a rather common device in entertainment, forcing the need for a hero.Gary_Jinfield
I was looking more at the story side of things than the storytelling side of things. And yes I see your point, but remember in Telma's bar when her and Ilia needed help to get to Kakariko? As soon as the soldiers heard how dangerous it was they ran away.
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Gary_Jinfield
Member since 2005 • 6614 Posts

[QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"]At the end of the day, soldiers are still humans and thus may susceptible to basic emotions. (Especially in the face of the supernatural) however, the ideal of running away to live another day may indeed apply here to a certain extent. It should be also mentioned that an ineffective and inept military is a rather common device in entertainment, forcing the need for a hero.MaceKhan
I was looking more at the story side of things than the storytelling side of things. And yes I see your point, but remember in Telma's bar when her and Ilia needed help to get to Kakariko? As soon as the soldiers heard how dangerous it was they ran away.

Yet, if the soldiers had gone with Telma and company, Link wouldn't have been able to act the hero and thus, the plot wouldn't have developed. Nintendo's approach focuses on gameplay and other such factors first, often building a story around said factors afterwards. (Midna's initial reason for existence was to ensure a more unique character, instead of simply looking at a wolf)

More than anything else though, the scene was likely meant to function as comic relief, although there is merit in your originally statement. Logically, all the brave soldiers would be gone, (having been vanquished by Zant's forces) leaving only those less inclined to such a trait. However, it seems unlikely that Nintendo had such an ideal in mind when creating the game, although it may be a possibility.

Avatar image for zelda_fanatic28
zelda_fanatic28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zelda_fanatic28
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts
like, Hyrule`s army shood b propery trained in case of severe emergencies! wat if something happened to Link, theen what would they do?
skatrbub54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 skatrbub54
Member since 2003 • 2160 Posts

That is why Link has the Triforce of Courage and they don't.

Well they do have no practice fighting monsters. The guards in front of Hyrule castle get no action so they say they are bored and stuff like that.

And who's to say those were guards of Hyrule and not mercenaries or the like?

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MaceKhan

[QUOTE="MaceKhan"][QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"]At the end of the day, soldiers are still humans and thus may susceptible to basic emotions. (Especially in the face of the supernatural) however, the ideal of running away to live another day may indeed apply here to a certain extent. It should be also mentioned that an ineffective and inept military is a rather common device in entertainment, forcing the need for a hero.Gary_Jinfield

Yet, if the soldiers had gone with Telma and company, Link wouldn't have been able to act the hero and thus, the plot wouldn't have developed. Nintendo's approach focuses on gameplay and other such factors first, often building a story around said factors afterwards. (Midna's initial reason for existence was to ensure a more unique character, instead of simply looking at a wolf)

More than anything else though, the scene was likely meant to function as comic relief, although there is merit in your originally statement. Logically, all the brave soldiers would be gone, (having been vanquished by Zant's forces) leaving only those less inclined to such a trait. However, it seems unlikely that Nintendo had such an ideal in mind when creating the game, although it may be a possibility.

Yes, it was most definitely intended as comic relief. And I agree, it is unlikely that Nintendo was thinking about this when making the game, but it fits so well:P.
MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MaceKhan

That is why Link has the Triforce of Courage and they don't.

Well they do have no practice fighting monsters. The guards in front of Hyrule castle get no action so they say they are bored and stuff like that.

And who's to say those were guards of Hyrule and not mercenaries or the like?

skatrbub54
Well said. But I doubt they were mercenaries(I'm assuming you were referring to the guards from Telma's bar that I mentioned, so correct me if I'm wrong). If Hyrule was so peaceful that they didn't need to adequately train their soldiers why would mercenaries be hanging around? Wouldn't mercenaries be hanging around a country that was at war, in the hopes of being hired.
RErikku12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 RErikku12
Member since 2005 • 6280 Posts
Well that is interesting indead, but the matter of the fact is they could easily train stronger, better fighters. Plus, they have Link, what more do you want?
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
[QUOTE="MaceKhan"]

[QUOTE="enemylines"]That is one theory,but i always thought that hyrule was so peaceful that they had no need to properly train there soldiers.NWA_31

yeah why bother if link is always going to save the day.
waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#16 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts
I guess the only reason for them acting as cowards in the bar is to put some humor in the game. However if you were right that Zant whiped out most of Hyrules army, then I guess it wouldn't be strange that they were cowards. However this is not the case for all the soldiers. In the cutscene early in the game, the soldiers are afraid, but they are ready to fight if Zelda commands it. In that sence Zelda is the coward because she surrender.
MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MaceKhan
I guess the only reason for them acting as cowards in the bar is to put some humor in the game. However if you were right that Zant whiped out most of Hyrules army, then I guess it wouldn't be strange that they were cowards. However this is not the case for all the soldiers. In the cutscene early in the game, the soldiers are afraid, but they are ready to fight if Zelda commands it. In that sence Zelda is the coward because she surrender.waZelda
Yes, I agree not all the soldiers are cowards, I was just saying that the soldiers you meet later in Telma's Bar are incompetent losers because Zant killed all the good soldiers. And I guess I should mention that this thread is only half serious:P.
RErikku12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 RErikku12
Member since 2005 • 6280 Posts

[QUOTE="waZelda"]I guess the only reason for them acting as cowards in the bar is to put some humor in the game. However if you were right that Zant whiped out most of Hyrules army, then I guess it wouldn't be strange that they were cowards. However this is not the case for all the soldiers. In the cutscene early in the game, the soldiers are afraid, but they are ready to fight if Zelda commands it. In that sence Zelda is the coward because she surrender.MaceKhan
Yes, I agree not all the soldiers are cowards, I was just saying that the soldiers you meet later in Telma's Bar are incompetent losers because Zant killed all the good soldiers. And I guess I should mention that this thread is only half serious:P.

Haha, but still, at least there WERE soldiers. I mean Link can't do it all...well he does...in fact, scratch what I just said lol.