Hylian99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Hylian99
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

Alright, here's my timeline theory. I post it at risk to myself, but let's keep it friendly, okay?

Minish Cap (Link 1): Vaati first appears and is defeated; Four Sword first used.

Four Swords (Link 2): Long after Minish Cap; Vaati is defeated again.

Ocarina of Time (Link 3): Ganondorf turns into the monster Ganon; Ganondorf is sealed away; Skull Kid is first met. After the Hero of Time seals Ganon away, Zelda sends Link back seven years to relive his childhood, where he immediately accuses Ganondorf. The Sages seal him away, thus splitting the timeline.

TIMELINE A

Young Link has Sages seal Ganondorf away; no Hero of Time

Majora's Mask (Link 3): Happens right after Ocarina of Time; Skull Kid finds mind-controlling Majora's Mask, but is defeated and Majora's Mask is destroyed.

Four Swords Adventures (Link 4): Right after Majora's Mask (maybe while the other Link is gone?); Vaati is defeated again; Vaati frees Ganon again, but he is quickly defeated again and sealed away by the Four Sword, which Link has used again.

Zelda I (Link 5): Ganon returns in monster form and is defeated again.

Zelda II (Link 5): Mysterious sorcerer kidnaps Zelda; is defeated.

Link to the Past (Link 6): Ganon returns and is defeated again; Four Sword is briefly found but never really used; Aghanim gets his 15 minutes of fame as Ganon's other form.

Link's Awakening (Link 6): Link gets shipwrecked; saves the Wind Fish from the Nightmares (including Shadow Aghanim).

Oracle of Ages (Link 7): Link defeats Veran; rescues Nayru, Oracle of Ages; Twinrova starts trying to bring monster Ganon back.

Oracle of Seasons (Link 7): Link defeats Onox; rescues Din, Oracle of Seasons; Twinrova succeeds in bringing a rudimentary, not-so-smart form of Ganon back; is defeated.

(Ages and Seasons have no canonical order, and Twinrova bringing Ganon back happens in whichever is second. Also, these could really go in either timeline, although they probably belong in this one due to the intentional gap between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.)

Twilight Princess (Link 8 ): 100 years after Ocarina of Time; Ganon gets Zant to free him and make the normal and twilight realms collide. Ganon is sealed away again.

TIMELINE B

Hero of Time seals Ganon away

Wind Waker (Link 9): 100 years after Ocarina of Time; turns out Hyrule is flooded; Link accidentally "unseals" Ganondorf; Ganondorf turns into Monster Ganon yet again (but maybe a little weaker); Hyrule is completely flooded; Ganondorf dies?

Phantom Hourglass (Link 10): Link and Tetra try to find the new Hyrule, and Tetra gets kidnapped by the Ghost Ship. Bellum attempts to escape by killing the Ocean King and the Spirits of Power, Wisdom, and Courage. Link defeats him.

Evidence: On the Wikipedia article for "The Legend of Zelda (series"), there is a section about chronology. It says that a person from Nintendo has stated that Twilight Princess is in a split timeline, therefore confirming the split timeline theory by implication. Also, people from Nintendo have also stated that Twilight Princess (I think) and The Wind Waker are both 100 years after Ocarina of Time. Nintendo did state that Ocarina of Time was the first in the series, but this was before Minish Cap and Four Swords came out. In Four Swords Adventures, it is strongly implied that Minish Cap and Four Swords come centuries before it, and Four Swords Adventures is probably somewhere in the vicinity of Ocarina of Time, as the Gerudo there talk about Ganondorf coming from their village. I do not count the Game and Watch games, the Super Smash Bros. series, Soul Calibur II, Link's Crossbow Training, Zelda BS (a Japan only couple of games that were using some kind of experimental video-game-by-TV-broadcast system), the mangas, the battle modes or second quests of any of the games, the Master Quest of Ocarina of Time for Gamecube, any fan-created material, and CERTAINLY not the cartoon series or CD-i games. I consider the Game Boy Advance update of A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening DX as the definitive versions of their respective games in the same way that the DVD release of the Special Edition of Star Wars is considered the definitive version of those movies. In all other cases, I consider the original games to be the definitive versions. I don't know what to do about Tingle's Balloon Fight or Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland.

Problem: I don't actually know what to do about Four Swords Adventures, because I found it confusing that it seemed to be so close to Ocarina of Time.

waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#2 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts

Well, it isn't a very original timeline theory, but I do believe it is close to the real one. At least the evidence you have found (and anyone who likes discussing timeline theories already knew) seems to make sence.

If I were to change one thing here, it would be to move TP to the other side of the timeline split. I think the interviews have been translated uncorrectly to 100 years insted of hundreds, meaning TP and WW can be in the same part of the timeline. The fact that Ganondorf was stopped in TP (unlike in the legend in WW), doesn't have to mean anything. Because Ganondorf was neither killed, nor sealed away in TP, so he might only be defeated temporarily. I would at least not place TP after ALttP, because the end of ALttP says the Master Sword was put to rest forever meaning all games that involves the Master Sword must be either before ALttP or in another timeline.

I like your theory, but it doesn't make any attempt to explain the hardest question I can find in making timeline theory. How can any game with Ganondorf/Ganon in be after the original LoZ when Ganon was killed in that game?

Hylian99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hylian99

Who says Ganon was killed in the original? I mean, I haven't beat it yet, so I don't know, but Ganon frequently looks like he dies when he doesn't.

And about TP...I'm of the opinion that Hyrule never again surfaces after WW. I feel that there's no reason that it should ever resurface, because the King of Red Lions deliberately had the gods drown it forever. As for the new Hyrule that Link and Tetra search for, I don't think that would look exactly like the old one. Although, putting TP before aLttP makes sense, but then I would have to put OoA and OoS before aLttP as well, because you actually can get the Master Sword in those, even if it is more of a gimmick because they never really explain it. It's definitely something to consider.

Also, I'm sorry if this isn't particularly original, but you didn't have to rub it in like that. I like discussing the timeline, but I've never done it on a message board in depth before.

waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#4 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts

Who says Ganon was killed in the original? I mean, I haven't beat it yet, so I don't know, but Ganon frequently looks like he dies when he doesn't.

And about TP...I'm of the opinion that Hyrule never again surfaces after WW. I feel that there's no reason that it should ever resurface, because the King of Red Lions deliberately had the gods drown it forever. As for the new Hyrule that Link and Tetra search for, I don't think that would look exactly like the old one. Although, putting TP before aLttP makes sense, but then I would have to put OoA and OoS before aLttP as well, because you actually can get the Master Sword in those, even if it is more of a gimmick because they never really explain it. It's definitely something to consider.

Also, I'm sorry if this isn't particularly original, but you didn't have to rub it in like that. I like discussing the timeline, but I've never done it on a message board in depth before.

Hylian99

I'm not really sure why Ganon was killed, but that's an issue that I keep running into when I see videos about timeline theories. Maybe it said so in the AoL instruction Booklet. At least that booklet is what is saying Adventures of Link is a sequel to the original.

PS: I didn't mean to "rub it in." I just meant to come with my thought of your theory. I do respect your theory.

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MaceKhan
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts
There are a few main problems with all time-line theories, one: Nintendo has released very little about Zelda Chronology. Two: Unlike you, some people don't seem to take into account what little Nintendo has made official(one of the reasons I respect your theory is because you actually did take those things into account). And three: Some of the Zelda games were made with little to no consideration for overall chronology and continuity, and therefore complicate all time-line theories. I personally think that if a game wasn't created with continuity in mind then it shouldn't be included in the overall time-line and should either be given its own separate time-line, or eliminated.
Hylian99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hylian99

Well, games that weren't intended to comply with an overall timeline can be made to fit. One example (although your outlook on this can definitely go two ways) is the Star Wars book Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Even though it totally shreds Star Wars canon, they were able to make it fit by explaining all of the inconsistencies away. They could do a less drastic version of this with the Zelda series. And besides, once Ocarina of Time came out, Nintendo had started thinking about chronology, so it's really only the two sets of games before that (LoZ/AoL and aLttP/LA) that weren't made with chronology in mind, and it's not particularly hard to fit them in.

About Ganon's death: I actually remembered something. In OoA and OoS, Twinrova talks about "resurrecting" Ganon, so that probably has something to do with him being dead.

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MaceKhan

Well, games that weren't intended to comply with an overall timeline can be made to fit. One example (although your outlook on this can definitely go two ways) is the Star Wars book Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Even though it totally shreds Star Wars canon, they were able to make it fit by explaining all of the inconsistencies away. They could do a less drastic version of this with the Zelda series. And besides, once Ocarina of Time came out, Nintendo had started thinking about chronology, so it's really only the two sets of games before that (LoZ/AoL and aLttP/LA) that weren't made with chronology in mind, and it's not particularly hard to fit them in.

About Ganon's death: I actually remembered something. In OoA and OoS, Twinrova talks about "resurrecting" Ganon, so that probably has something to do with him being dead.

Hylian99
Yes they can be made to fit, and I agree with you that after OoT they started making the games with chronological order in mind(except the oracle games I doubt they were thinking about chronology with those ones). But what makes it kinda difficult to fit Zeldas 1&2 and ALttP is that Nintendo said they came after OoT, but then they created the timeline split and now everyone argues about which side they go on(although most people agree they take place on the young link timeline). My timeline completely eliminates them and the oracle games, but that could be becuase I'm just to lazy to make them fit. But whats your take on the Oracles games? I haven't played them yet so its impossible for me to make them fit in my timeline because I don't know what they contain.
Hylian99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hylian99
Well, because they really don't affect the overall plot at all, they could go nearly anywhere. Although, as I mentioned earlier, they do talk about "resurrecting" Ganon, which seems to imply he's dead. I'm not entirely sure they use that word, though.
MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MaceKhan
Well, because they really don't affect the overall plot at all, they could go nearly anywhere. Although, as I mentioned earlier, they do talk about "resurrecting" Ganon, which seems to imply he's dead. I'm not entirely sure they use that word, though.Hylian99
Hmm... If they mentioned Ganon being resurrected then it would imply that he was dead. But on the other hand if they weren't thinking about overall chronology then it wouldn't matter. Assumeing that it does matter, the only game that I can remember Ganon dieing in is Zelda1, so that would mean it would have to come after Zelda1 wouldn't it? That doesn't really help me though, because I already decided that because of the split timeline Zelda1 could no longer come after OoT, and even though I could make it fit before OoT I'm reluctant to do so, because Nintendo said it comes after OoT. One could argue that because they said that before they created the split timeline it no longer applies, and therefore I could put Zelda1 before OoT. Sorry for the wall of text but I was thinking and typeing at the same time.
MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MaceKhan

Just out of curiosity have you looked at my timeline yet? I also like discussing the timeline and would like to know your thoughts about mine. And about my above post after posting it I decided to include Zeldas1&2, LA, and ALttP, in my timeline for the reason I mentioned, it was said they come after OoT before the split timeline was created.

Hylian99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hylian99

Well, I think that they could come after OoT, but just be on one side of the timeline. I now think that it is impossible for Ganon to have died in LoZ, because then ALttP would have to go before LoZ, because it has Ganon in it. The Oracles would have to go after LoZ, because they "resurrect" Ganon. However, if the Master Sword was "put to rest forever" in ALttP, then it could not have been used in the Oracles (which I still consider part of canon, at least for the time being). Or maybe it was a different Master Sword...

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MaceKhan

Hmm... It could be a different Master Sword, but I find that unlikely. I don't know about placing Zeldas1&2, LA, and ALttP, after OoT but I'll think about it.

skatrbub54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 skatrbub54
Member since 2003 • 2160 Posts

The same Link is in WW and PH first of all. I agree that Minish Cap goes first and PH last. But I vaguely recall hearing that WW took place about 1000 or so years after OoT. The Hero is a legend at WW. If it was 100 years after OoT that's like one generation later it wouldn't be a legend. The Kokiri don't evolve into tree people, Hyrule flooding, and people starting all over again in that short a time. So definately WW is about 1000 years after OoT.

I'm going through TP again right now but when I played through it over a year ago I remember thinking that It was difficult to place it in the timeline.

Neo_Ike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Neo_Ike
Member since 2007 • 10682 Posts

I thought through this alot and my most Acurate analysis in my opinion would be...

Minish cap
OoT

Hyrule A

Majoras Mask
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
Link's Awakening
Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2: Link's Adventure
Four Swords (This mini game DOES count)
Four swords Adventures
Link to the past

Hyrule B

Wind waker
Phantom Hourglass

Funny thing, It makes much more sence this way:? and this might mean that some evils (Like Majora) could apear in Hyrule B since they've never appeared in Hyrule B and also in Hyrule B, Termina was destroyed as well:?

Proof of this: PH is remotly similar to Link's awakening, is the Zelda History repeating itself in diferent timelines...:|

Ocarina has alot of hidden stuff to it, most of the stuff in Hyrule A never happened in Hyrule B so it leaves the road open to speculation:?

And also a third dimension theory crossed my mind with the Orcle games as well, but the Last Oracle would have posible been Zelda as... mybe the Oracle of time:o

And I think the Oracle games could start up diferently depending on the timeline, IN Hyrule A, I chose Seasons/Ages since in Link's Awakening Link starts in a Raft and Ages is near the ocean and near a Zora tribe, Maybe Link asked for directions on how to get to Hyrule by sea and that's how he ended up in Link's awakening:?. but I think it more suited for Hyrule A.

TP sometimes confuses me cause it could be in either timeline but it's most suited for Hyrule A Cause Hyrule B is mostly based on the Hero of winds, Reincarnation of the Hero fo Time. and Hyrule A is more open for speculation on it's proper location.

So... what do you guys think:?

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MaceKhan
I think its pretty good.
Hylian99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hylian99
I also think that it's pretty good, but I do remember that there was one quote by a Nintendo guy (maybe Miyamoto) saying that every Zelda game is a different Link. I don't take that literally, as there are some places where that is obviously not true. However, I tend to think that whenever there could be a different Link, there is one, and that they are only the same one if related in artwork and/or storyline. In my opinion, some of the timeline theories connect too many of the Links with each other. I think that if they don't look like each other, they're probably not the same person.
skatrbub54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 skatrbub54
Member since 2003 • 2160 Posts

Link's Awakening Link starts in a Raft and Ages is near the ocean and near a Zora tribe, Neo_Ike

Quick correction. It was a ship in Link's Awakening.

Also WW and PH had the same Link. So did OoT and MM. It's hard for me to say on the others.

Neo_Ike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Neo_Ike
Member since 2007 • 10682 Posts

ok, first off, I see you Added the 1st Four swords game and I'll help by explain the Reason why I think it could not fit in there.

first: the story in four swords states that the sword was used to Seal Vaati, the Wind sorcerer, ages ago, and was discovered by Link and Zelda, Ages later, then in FSA: the Link and Zelda Duo are one and the same since they already know of the Evil Sealed withing the Four sword

I also think that it's pretty good, but I do remember that there was one quote by a Nintendo guy (maybe Miyamoto) saying that every Zelda game is a different Link. I don't take that literally, as there are some places where that is obviously not true. However, I tend to think that whenever there could be a different Link, there is one, and that they are only the same one if related in artwork and/or storyline. In my opinion, some of the timeline theories connect too many of the Links with each other. I think that if they don't look like each other, they're probably not the same person.Hylian99

I Agree, here's my list of Links:D

Start:
Link 1: Minish Cap

Hyrule A:
Link 2: Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask
Link 2(older): Link's Awakening, Zelda, Zelda 2, Oracle games
Link 3: 4 swords games
Link 4: A Link to the past
Link 5: TP Link

Hyrule B:
Link 6: WW and PH Link

I recently noticed a Flaw with my placement of the Oracle games, how can you Revive someone who isn't dead?, so it should be placed sometime After Zelda 2,

Andsomething else to ponder too;) If there's a New Link, Should there mean a New Ganon AND Zelda:roll:;)

I also want to point out somethings I noticed about your timeline (No offence)

Four Swords Adventures (Link 4): Right after Majora's Mask (maybe while the other Link is gone?); Vaati is defeated again; Vaati frees Ganon again, but he is quickly defeated again and sealed away by the Four Sword, which Link has used again.

Correction: Ganondolf Created Dark Link using the dark Mirror and sent him to weaken ?Vaati's Seal and Link released Vaati, Then Ganondolf Became Ganon with the power of the Trident He found on the Gerudo Ruins.

Zelda I (Link 5): Ganon returns in monster form and is defeated again.

Ganon Dosen't Return, Ganondolf was Never Defeated previously in this timeline

Zelda II (Link 5): Mysterious sorcerer kidnaps Zelda; is defeated.

No, the ORIGINAL (as in first Zelda) was cursed by an evil wizard thousands of years ago, Link must Find the last Picece of the Triforce to wish her awake from Her long sleep

Link to the Past (Link 6): Ganon returns and is defeated again; Four Sword is briefly found but never really used; Aghanim gets his 15 minutes of fame as Ganon's other form.

I can barely get this one, but Agahanim is not Ganon'd other form, Agahanim did exist, even if he soon Became Ganon's puppet. this is also the one game to Date where Ganon original obtained all Pieces of the Triforce

Link's Awakening (Link 6): Link gets shipwrecked; saves the Wind Fish from the Nightmares (including Shadow Aghanim).

Wasn't it a Shadow of Ganon that appeared in the end?And Also, you said that the Master sleeps Forever after A Link to the past, burt in DX you obtain the Master by colecting Secret Shells

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#19 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

One thing that confuses me is that if the Four Swords Adventure takes place after Minish Cap then wouldn't it have to reveal Ganon in another game directly after the Minish Cap. It is all very confusing and Links Awakening is a tricky one as well for me as well because he battles a nightmare creature that takes the shape of Ganon in one part.

I claim to know little so my prediciton is probably nowhere near close

Minish Cap first because you find the hat

OOT second because of the first appearence of Ganondorf. Majoras Mask is a direct sequel so it splits the timeline.

Hyrule A

I would say Links Awakening because in Majoras Mask he wasn't in Hyrule

Zelda 1 and 2 are next

Now The Four Swords Adventure I think it has to be next because Vaati seems to release Ganon and then he holds the large trident which should mean A Link to the Past follows after that because he uses it in that game.

Now I can't think Twilight Princess belongs in the Wind Waker Timeline because Ganon turns to stone in that so it must go into the Hyrule A timeline because Link beats him and he ends up beaten so that must mean he's no more.

So in Hyrule B it has to be Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass because Ganon gets turned to stone and Hyrule is flooded at the end.

Ocarle of Ages and Seasons games I don't know but I do think it is Twinrova I haven't played the game who is trying to resurrect Ganon both must be right at the end of each but I don't know where they are 2 seperate games but they seem very similar. I am not sure where they both go but they both must be at the end.

There thats mine timeline. I think I am not saying it is right because it isn't. Nintendo are the only ones who seem to know.