NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

I was watching some Zelda videos on Youtube, when I stumbled upon this old Zelda Gamecube demo that was shown at Spaceworld 2000.

Does anyone remember this ? I remember how amazed I was when I first saw this. I couldn't wait to get a Gamecube to play it. But then, a few months later, Nintendo shattered my dreams and cancelled the project. :(

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
This is the first time I saw that, though it certainly looked pretty interesting.
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Gary_Jinfield
Member since 2005 • 6614 Posts

Ah, the infamous spaceworld trailer. This trailer is entrenched greatly in the initial dislike of WW, along with what some would consider the fall of the Zelda series as a whole, for that point in time at any rate.:P

Nintendo appeared to promise a realistic Zelda title, only to turn around the following year and show a cartoon like Zelda game. Fans were miffed to be sure.:P

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
Haha...I was one of those Wind Waker haters, to be honest. It's because I was so pissed when they cancelled the realistic Zelda. :P Luckily, Nintendo proved me wrong and Wind Waker turned out to be great.
Chaos_Angel_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 Chaos_Angel_14
Member since 2004 • 3805 Posts
after re-watching that...I'm glad that was never released
it just ....has no real s.t.y.l.e to it
well not as much as say windwaker or twilight do
UNOwen802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 UNOwen802
Member since 2006 • 2935 Posts
I like what LoZ became. That trailer looked awesome for he time, but now, it seems so bland. Both Ganondorf and Link look like wax dolls, where as WW and TP characters have a much greater range of expression and life. I'm sure I wasn't missed, but it is good to be back!
Neo_Ike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Neo_Ike
Member since 2007 • 10682 Posts
I Heard about it but I never got to see the video up until now, it's pretty cool
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJ-Lafleur
Yeah, I haven't seen that video when it first was shown, which probably expains why I was never bothered by WW's looks. :|
Neo_Ike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Neo_Ike
Member since 2007 • 10682 Posts

Ok, when I first saw the WW previews I said:

They turned the Hero of time into a fruit flavored lolypop? NO WAY, I REFUSE TO ACCEPT IT, THEY OFFICIALLY RUINED LOZ

but WW wasan't so bad, got a free OoTMQ copy forpre-ordering it and the story is ok

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gary_Jinfield

I like what LoZ became. That trailer looked awesome for he time, but now, it seems so bland. Both Ganondorf and Link look like wax dolls, where as WW and TP characters have a much greater range of expression and life. I'm sure I wasn't missed, but it is good to be back!UNOwen802

Still it is interesting to think about what may have been...

What would the Legend of Zelda series be like if it had gone down that road?

UNOwen802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UNOwen802
So, wait. You are asking what would have happened if, instead of innovation/gameplay/expression, Nintendo had chosen graphics/repetativeness? Who do you think they are?! SONY?
imnotwhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 imnotwhite
Member since 2005 • 6437 Posts

Ah, the infamous spaceworld trailer. This trailer is entrenched greatly in the initial dislike of WW, along with what some would consider the fall of the Zelda series as a whole, for that point in time at any rate.:P

Nintendo appeared to promise a realistic Zelda title, only to turn around the following year and show a cartoon like Zelda game. Fans were miffed to be sure.:P

Gary_Jinfield
Damn right i was i was ready to to start blowin **** up! until it turned out that ww was a great game. Would've been cool the last fight in tp reminds me of that trailer
imnotwhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 imnotwhite
Member since 2005 • 6437 Posts

So, wait. You are asking what would have happened if, instead of innovation/gameplay/expression, Nintendo had chosen graphics/repetativeness? Who do you think they are?! SONY?UNOwen802

....well...damn. That is a good one! although i wonder what would've happened if zelda went to sega......SO MANY LOOPS! SO MANY LOOPS

metroid_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 metroid_dragon
Member since 2003 • 1964 Posts

[QUOTE="UNOwen802"]I like what LoZ became. That trailer looked awesome for he time, but now, it seems so bland. Both Ganondorf and Link look like wax dolls, where as WW and TP characters have a much greater range of expression and life. I'm sure I wasn't missed, but it is good to be back!Gary_Jinfield

Still it is interesting to think about what may have been...

What would the Legend of Zelda series be like if it had gone down that road?

I would presume that there wouldn't have been the public outcry for another realistic Zelda in the Twilight Princess case and Twilight Princess would have been a completly different game, perhaps even Wind Waker style.

Fan demand for a long due realistic entry into the series obviously played a huge role in the making of Twilight Princess.

UNOwen802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UNOwen802

I would presume that there wouldn't have been the public outcry for another realistic Zelda in the Twilight Princess case and Twilight Princess would have been a completly different game, perhaps even Wind Waker style.

Fan demand for a long due realistic entry into the series obviously played a huge role in the making of Twilight Princess.

metroid_dragon
I don't think so. Otherwise, PH wouldn't share that style. As a matter of fact, elements of TP still shared many similarites with TP.
metroid_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 metroid_dragon
[QUOTE="metroid_dragon"]

UNOwen802

I don't think so. Otherwise, PH wouldn't share that style. As a matter of fact, elements of TP still shared many similarites with TP.

That didn't make all too much sense, but I believe you were trying to say that Phantom Hourglass would be a different game as well? I agree with that, PH might not even exist.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gary_Jinfield
[QUOTE="UNOwen802"][QUOTE="metroid_dragon"]

metroid_dragon

That didn't make all too much sense, but I believe you were trying to say that Phantom Hourglass would be a different game as well? I agree with that, PH might not even exist.

Although Nintendo is fond of the cell shading artistic form for Zelda games, the North American fanbase which happens to be Zelda's largest market disagrees. Twilight Princess has done incredibly well in North America, having already surpassed most Zelda games in terms of sales, with the return to a more realistic Zelda most likely playing some part.

Phantom Hourglass is on a handheld, a platform in which realism is not as greatly stressed in any market, hence Phantom Hourglass features a similar art to Wind Waker, although it is unknown how well the game will do in the rest of the world as of yet...

Essentially, it seems Nintendo has returned to the realistic Zelda, doing away with a great deal of innovations featured in Wind Waker for the console games. It just seems that Nintendo simply made one big circle to return to where they once were, although who knows what they will do now?

And what if questions are always rather intriguing and currently seem to be gaining a great deal of popularity among historians, judging by the amount of what if books being written and available.

UNOwen802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UNOwen802
[QUOTE="UNOwen802"]

metroid_dragon

AW, ****! Sorry, I didn't catch my mistake until you brought it up.

What I meant to say was TP had many similarieties with WW. Graphically speaking, smoke effects were modified versions of the cellshaded smoke, rather than realistic particle effects. Artistically speaking, the characters still had quite a bit of facial expression, though not as much as they could have if they had gone back to cell shading. WW was one of the most fluid and beautiful games I have ever played. Cell-shading allowed for a higher frame rate, deeper characters, and more immersive experience. At times, I forgot I was playing a game, and thought I was watching a movie. I only wish more people would look past the fact it looks like "a kid's game"

metroid_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 metroid_dragon
[QUOTE="metroid_dragon"][QUOTE="UNOwen802"]

UNOwen802

AW, ****! Sorry, I didn't catch my mistake until you brought it up.

What I meant to say was TP had many similarieties with WW. Graphically speaking, smoke effects were modified versions of the cellshaded smoke, rather than realistic particle effects. Artistically speaking, the characters still had quite a bit of facial expression, though not as much as they could have if they had gone back to cell shading. WW was one of the most fluid and beautiful games I have ever played. Cell-shading allowed for a higher frame rate, deeper characters, and more immersive experience. At times, I forgot I was playing a game, and thought I was watching a movie. I only wish more people would look past the fact it looks like "a kid's game"

Although I agree that Wind Waker was a fantastic game, and I enjoyed it more than Twilight Princess, I'm not sure those similiriities really count. They are pretty standard advances in games, it would be easy for TP to have used advanced facial expressions and similiar smoke effects without the influence of WW.

UNOwen802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UNOwen802

Although I agree that Wind Waker was a fantastic game, and I enjoyed it more than Twilight Princess, I'm not sure those similiriities really count. They are pretty standard advances in games, it would be easy for TP to have used advanced facial expressions and similiar smoke effects without the influence of WW.

metroid_dragon
What's there not to agree with? Advances in games have been for more realistic particle effects, yet Zelda retained the stylized smoke. And you also must admit that TP's cutscenes focused much more heavily on character close-ups than most games. While most games are looking for the biggest baddest blood effects or the chick with the biggest breasts, TP was much more concentrated on faces. Midna's many varied facial expressions are proof. They got a much better effect with WW's style than before and brought many of their advances to TP. Without that growth, LoZ might just become FF:14.
-MasterSword-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -MasterSword-
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts

I remember it back then, but windwaker came out instead.

GunnerVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GunnerVIII
Member since 2006 • 4135 Posts

I remember how bad I wanted it when I first saw the trailer, and then they announced windwaker, and I was still happy.....:|

HEY ITS STILL A 3-D ZELDA GAME!!!!

ZeroWingEvil91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 ZeroWingEvil91
Member since 2005 • 740 Posts

I was watching some Zelda videos on Youtube, when I stumbled upon this old Zelda Gamecube demo that was shown at Spaceworld 2000.

Does anyone remember this ? I remember how amazed I was when I first saw this. I couldn't wait to get a Gamecube to play it. But then, a few months later, Nintendo shattered my dreams and cancelled the project. :(

NWA_31
Huh? You seem to be making a mistake here. The video in question was merely intended to show what the Gamecube could do. Nintendo never intended any more of it. There was no project to be canceled. The video was just meant as a technical demo, nothing more.
metroid_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 metroid_dragon
[QUOTE="NWA_31"]

ZeroWingEvil91

Huh? You seem to be making a mistake here. The video in question was merely intended to show what the Gamecube could do. Nintendo never intended any more of it. There was no project to be canceled. The video was just meant as a technical demo, nothing more.

Actually it was a concept demo, not a technical demo. Nintendo eventually decided to scrap the concept behind it though in favour of Wind Waker.

I suppose using it as a technical demo could have been a secondary objective, but it could have been done better and longer if that was the case.

http://cube.ign.com/objects/014/014914.html

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gary_Jinfield
Still it seemed rather probable that the next Zelda game would feature such an art style... Then Wind Waker was shown...
mentalabc123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mentalabc123
Member since 2006 • 584 Posts

Surely I can't be the only one that doesn't like the video?

I'm glad that they went with the Wind Waker over that.

metroid_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 metroid_dragon
Wind Waker was fun, but that game was looking like it had the potential to be a truly emotional, grim and atmospheric game. I loved the WW's art style, but they are 2 completely different things. I could go for a good moody and atmospheric Zelda game.
mentalabc123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mentalabc123

Wind Waker was fun, but that game was looking like it had the potential to be a truly emotional, grim and atmospheric game. I loved the WW's art style, but they are 2 completely different things. I could go for a good moody and atmospheric Zelda game.metroid_dragon

Well everyone wins, because we got the 'moody and atmospheric' game with Twilight Princess.

(Don't get me wrong, I like both)

That video demo just looked a bit tacky. And a bit crap.

ZeroWingEvil91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 ZeroWingEvil91
Member since 2005 • 740 Posts

mentalabc123

Second. I've always prefered the Wind Waker's art style to that of the more realistic titles in the series(Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask).

mentalabc123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mentalabc123
[QUOTE="mentalabc123"]

ZeroWingEvil91

Second. I've always prefered the Wind Waker's art style to that of the more realistic titles in the series(Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask).

To be honest, I didn't mean it like that. I meant that the footage is a bit crap and I'm glad that they didn't release a game that looked anything like that.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gary_Jinfield
[QUOTE="ZeroWingEvil91"][QUOTE="mentalabc123"]

mentalabc123

To be honest, I didn't mean it like that. I meant that the footage is a bit crap and I'm glad that they didn't release a game that looked anything like that.

For the time though, the footage looked amazing. It wouldn't have been too bad to have had a Zelda game looking like that early on for the GameCube.

mentalabc123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mentalabc123

For the time though, the footage looked amazing. It wouldn't have been too bad to have had a Zelda game looking like that early on for the GameCube.

Gary_Jinfield

I suppose. Still, I don't like it.

Ah well, it doesn't matter either way, they didn't go down the realistic route on the GC until Twilight Princess. End of.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DJ-Lafleur
Well if they didn't make Wind Waker, then there wouldn't be a Minish cap or a Phantom Hourglass :o! (or they'd look completely different)

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gary_Jinfield
As time marches on, the effects will continue to grow in scope.