Would you like to see another love-based Final Fantasy?

• 57 results
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 kinetic-core
Member since 2006 • 9423 Posts

I mean, i think FFVIII, a Final Fantasy with Love as the main theme, was a whole new approach by Square and the results are really good. Some previous and recent FFs tried to emphasize on love, but didn't seem to be able to portray the love story as well as FFVIII, in which the logo obiviously depicts the main theme of the game. FFIX was ok, and FFX forced a love story inside. The love story's just no good, unless it is a purely "Love-ly" story, ya?

Should Square try out another Love-based Final Fantasy? I think they should.

Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 Spurs_Fan
Member since 2005 • 13023 Posts
Errr... I don't know. Yeah why not lol
-Pro-Link-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 -Pro-Link-
Member since 2006 • 6297 Posts
Well I am okay with another love story.  But not a sad one.  Like in FFVII I hated the fact that Aeris died.  I really started to get attached to her and then WHAM!  She was dead.  That made me kin of frustrated.  So as long as it is not sad like that I guess I am okay with it.  But the love story doesn't make up the game.
liquid_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 liquid_s
Member since 2005 • 7159 Posts
Yes, just as long as your guy doesn't act like some just-hit-puberty-first-crush guy again.  
Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spurs_Fan

Yes, just as long as your guy doesn't act like some just-hit-puberty-first-crush guy again.   liquid_s

Who is that supposed to be? lol

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kinetic-core
i'm curious too. lol
thorpe1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 thorpe1988
Member since 2004 • 899 Posts

[QUOTE="liquid_s"]Yes, just as long as your guy doesn't act like some just-hit-puberty-first-crush guy again. Spurs_Fan

Who is that supposed to be? lol

He's talking about Squall, Seifer pretty much made the comment when going to Dollet for your test.

I think another FF game with a love story would be great. I always like it when there is a love story. It's the romance parts in FF that are one of the best, I guess that's why FFVIII is one of my favourites and Rinoa is my favourite female character (and should be healed lots in the Hurt/Heal game - Just type "Heal Rinoa x2." in your post).
Bedoxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Bedoxxx
Member since 2003 • 57 Posts
hmm beacuse people loves it
joeadonis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 joeadonis1
Member since 2004 • 1567 Posts
The only one I can think of that didnt have a love story that was a major plot element was FF Tactics. So Id like to see Squareinx try something different.
jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#10 jordina
Member since 2006 • 5410 Posts

here they are:

ff1- romantic relationship between white m. and black m.

ff2- from what ive played, none at all

ff3- maybe

ffiv- cecil and rosa, this was nice, i guess kain fits in there too.

ffv- bartz and reina but its really little.

ffvi- celes and locke, nice as well but i dont think it happens in the end.

ffvii- cloud, tifa and aeris. i honestly didnt like this one much. it started the anti- tifa and aeris groups.

fviii- my favourite love story, squall and rinoa with a bit of eyes on me. cryed at the end lol

ffix- zidane and garnet, very predictable and original but thats what is good about it.

ffx- i really like this one. poor yuna.

crimson_playa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 crimson_playa
Member since 2003 • 1169 Posts
I m really sick n tired of all da love ff games it was cool but now its just getting old ...i think they should focus on REVENGE in the next ff games insted of love :P but yea thats just my take on it ....
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 TheOdinson
Member since 2006 • 6232 Posts

I think another FF game with a love story would be great. I always like it when there is a love story. It's the romance parts in FF that are one of the best, I guess that's why FFVIII is one of my favourites and Rinoa is my favourite female character (and should be healed lots in the Hurt/Heal game - Just type "Heal Rinoa x2." in your post).
thorpe1988

This is starting to become the craziest thing I was ever involved in, outside of that whole TOS thing, ya? :wink:

However, I think that almost every RPG uses love as a story point, it helps the characters connect and grow, it helps us have some sort of relationship with them through our own experiences with love, and our dreams of true love. I think FFVIII captured the most realistic persective on love and used this element more so than any other FF, if not more than most any other game out there. I also though, am not a fan of FFVIII. What seemed to be the plot was really secondary to the love between the characters, the relationships they formed, and I was upset when everything resolved the way it did. However, I do think Square should try to use love again, but this time in a fashion that strengths and expands the story rather than crushing the life out of it.

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kinetic-core

yup. FFVIII has the best love story in the series. FFVII kinda dealt with a pre-school love triangle, and FFX's was just, FORCED inside the whole plot. I'd like to see one that's more like FFVIII plus FFT. "Politics" + Love, it just makes the game more mature and beautiful. I can tell FFXII was made to look like "politics+love", but it just isn't good enough. I think Sakaguchi and Nomura working together will produce the greatest FF. Sakaguchi on the main plot side, and Nomura on the Love side. But, i think such an FF will consist of a game lasting for at least 100 hours, lol.

Since such a combination is fairly impossible, i'd rather see a more Love-ly Final Fantasy. :)

TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheOdinson
Oh I would kill for a new FFT that had the same basic depth of plot plus a well developed love story. I mean there is some sort of twisted love story in FFT, but it is pretty twisted and really isn't love. I think if you could keep a stoy with the depths of character and political and social intrigue while adding a great love story that game would blow the pants off of anything. But I love FFT and have been waiting for the true sequel for a long time.
BiggsWedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BiggsWedge
Member since 2005 • 2916 Posts

I m really sick n tired of all da love ff games it was cool but now its just getting old ...i think they should focus on REVENGE in the next ff games insted of love :P but yea thats just my take on it .... crimson_playa

i think this is a briljant idea!!!!

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kinetic-core
that'll be just too violent. :(
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheOdinson
I don't think it would be too violent, honestly the main drive in FFVII is revenge. I think it could be handled poorly and the story forgotten and lost because simple revenge can be a very weak story.
Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spurs_Fan
I think the next FF should be about a gay guy who is on a never ending quest to save his girl friend :P
liquid_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 liquid_s
I think the next FF should be about a gay guy who is on a never ending quest to save his girl friend :PSpurs_Fan

Isnt that FFX
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheOdinson
I am pretty sure that would tank as a game. Tidus was a bit of a girl I guess, but honestly the plot in that game was very well done. Although an actual homosexual character would be very contriversal.
Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Spurs_Fan

I was joking :P. I was being that guy on the tv show Drawn Together lol

Anyway back on topic :lol:

Crysis_PT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Crysis_PT
Member since 2005 • 91 Posts
hmm i think a bit of romance fits on all FFs but not "based on it"... it would be boring as hell...
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheOdinson

I was joking :P. I was being that guy on the tv show Drawn Together lol

Anyway back on topic :lol:

Spurs_Fan

Well, you may have been joking, but you never really know. They have done some serious hinting in the past at characters possibly being homosexual, and you never know when they will just straight up do it that way and not put in that moment were you find out they are not really gay, and instead confirm that it is true.

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kinetic-core

I think there is such a guy in FFXII. Not homosexual. But, it makes you think he should be biting a stalk of rose.

Here's a picture of him: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/snokosnojo/Final%20Fantasy/Final%20Dream%20Union%20Materia/elcid1.jpg

And his name is El Cid. So, there was all this talk about "Wow! This is the BEST Cid in all the FFs i've ever seen!" :lol:

liquid_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 liquid_s
Cid has come along way
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kinetic-core

yup, he came a long way to look that way ^^..lol. maybe, SE thought they should have an unique Cid since they had too many of them like "men". :lol:

thorpe1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thorpe1988
Member since 2004 • 899 Posts

yup, he came a long way to look that way ^^..lol. maybe, SE thought they should have an unique Cid since they had too many of them like "men". :lol:

kinetic-core

:shock: I like my manly Cid, thank you very much. My favourite Cid was probably the one in Final Fantasy VII though, he was a real man. :wink:
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kinetic-core
i also like my manly Cid, that is. When i saw that picture, i was like, "Is she really a man?"
jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jordina

blame the character designer for making the characters look stereotypically gay.

aka vaan, baltheir, el cid

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kinetic-core
vaan looks like every other average japanese male teenager. I wouldn't call him a guy with gay features. Maybe, because i'm an asian too, and that all other asian MALE teens do look like vaan, and normal it is, i think. I'm used to seeing guys like that, i suppose. Balthier is definitely more "manly" than anyone if you wanna say anything. His voice, actions and design shows nothing about him being gay, if you ask me. :)
jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jordina

vaan looks like every other average japanese male teenager. I wouldn't call him a guy with gay features. Maybe, because i'm an asian too, and that all other asian MALE teens do look like vaan, and normal it is, i think. I'm used to seeing guys like that, i suppose. Balthier is definitely more "manly" than anyone if you wanna say anything. His voice, actions and design shows nothing about him being gay, if you ask me. :)kinetic-core

not the looks, the clothes, theyre disgusting, you wouldnt see me wearing them. i thought asian people had dark hair.

TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheOdinson

[QUOTE="kinetic-core"]vaan looks like every other average japanese male teenager. I wouldn't call him a guy with gay features. Maybe, because i'm an asian too, and that all other asian MALE teens do look like vaan, and normal it is, i think. I'm used to seeing guys like that, i suppose. Balthier is definitely more "manly" than anyone if you wanna say anything. His voice, actions and design shows nothing about him being gay, if you ask me. :)jordina

not the looks, the clothes, theyre disgusting, you wouldnt see me wearing them. i thought asian people had dark hair.

The clothing of a character is an intersting point to bring up, but one that must be considered on more than just initial appearances. While some costumes are indeed very odd and sometimes not the most attractive, you have to look at them in terms of the character. Where that characters is from? What that character does for a living? What the character may have been doing at the time? These factors can easily help justify certain things. For example Wakka in FFX wears clothing that I myself would never wear, and would find odd most of the time in general, but he is from an island with tropical weather. His clothing is a mixture of Jamaican and Pacific Islander, and so while it may be odd, it was designed to complement his character while maintaining a unique feel. A character like Vaan is also from a somewhat warmer climate, his garb is somewhat pirate-like in appearance, and so his character is once again brough out by this. Now it is true that Vaan does appear to be somewhat androgynous, honestly so do many young asian males I know anyway. A friend of mine Ken, gets mistaken, or used to before he finally cut his hair, as a girl simply because he was thin, and had the rather typical kind asian features making it hard to tell right away. Vaan clothing may compact that a bit, but honestly they had a goal in mind with the design and they achieved that I think.

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kinetic-core

Talking about the hair... I don't see anyone combing a hairstyle similar to wakka's either. I'm just saying the features the characters hold are formed with East Asian looks as their very base, most of the time. Except for Ashe, who was based off a French woman and was given Asian features for the gamers in Japan. I know you hardly see some guy with thin fingers like cloud's or tidus', and maybe you would say barret looks normal because he has the average build of a western guy and on that point, big fingers. To us girls here, Barret seems a little fat. lol.

What i'm trying to say is, how the designers' concept vary with the western gamers' opinions, is actually all because of cultural differences. It's the same thing with Brother falling in love with his cousin Yuna. Western gamers find it absolutely repulsive, but East Asian gamers know it is absolutely fine that something like this appear in a game, or in real life. :)

TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheOdinson
Thank you kinetic for making the culture differences point, I can't make that easily myself, as I am from America and I haven't been outside the country, and don't know anyone from outside the country outside of my friends parents.
oggydoggy2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 oggydoggy2005
Member since 2006 • 160 Posts
So, back to the original topic, I would not like to see another love-based FF.  I think that love should be involved in the story because it adds depth to the characters, but I dislike when the game is based around love (FFVIII).  Politics and revenge are more exciting topics, and love can certainly play a role in those.
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kinetic-core

Certainly, a love story with an action-intensive plot would be really nice. A love story built around revenge and such, it'll just be the FF of the century. I wonder if something like this would be produced. :)

And, i hope someone actually understood what i was saying. Cultural differences may make it hard for you to understand me too. lol.

TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheOdinson
I think making a love story the focus of a game is hard. It can be very challenging to make that a compelling game. I mean the quest to say the maiden or whatever is just so old and worn out, but if you could really twist up the love story, which is something the game I was working on did for sure, then you can really base your game souly around that. But you have to make that something unique and truly driving and not boring and played out.
the_unbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 the_unbroken
Member since 2006 • 1886 Posts
I think there is a certain amount of romance needed in any final fantasy, Romance is basically what the series has been based apon, In one way or another
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 mosespippy
Member since 2005 • 7501 Posts
I don't mind if it is a minor plot line. If it is the main story then I would rather play something else.
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheOdinson

I think there is a certain amount of romance needed in any final fantasy, Romance is basically what the series has been based apon, In one way or anotherthe_unbroken

I don't know about that. Really it was minor in FF, and FFIII, but you played as a group of people that didn't really even has starting names. In FFVII I think you lose the love story aspect as soon as Aeris dies really, they just drop it for the most part. I mean obviously there is something between Tifa and Cloud, but they never really go there. I won't say that it isn't in each game in some way, but it isn't always even important.

jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jordina

i would want something different now, i said NOW. * acts like spoilt brat*

i do want something different though.

do you dudes agree.

jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jordina

i said dude didnt i.

i meant guys. gs is turning me american.

shn_mrtn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shn_mrtn
Member since 2004 • 2281 Posts

i said dude didnt i.

jordina
Its better than being English!!!
jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jordina
[QUOTE="jordina"]

i said dude didnt i.

shn_mrtn

i kind of agree, its a good thing im half scottish. english is alright but american people seem more relaxed and nicer and way more socialble.

shn_mrtn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shn_mrtn
[QUOTE="shn_mrtn"][QUOTE="jordina"]

i said dude didnt i.

jordina

i kind of agree, its a good thing im half scottish. english is alright but american people seem more relaxed and nicer and way more socialble.

You go to Los Angeles or New York and you will think differently, bunch of bastards in LA!
jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jordina
[QUOTE="jordina"][QUOTE="shn_mrtn"][QUOTE="jordina"]

i said dude didnt i.

shn_mrtn

You go to Los Angeles or New York and you will think differently, bunch of bastards in LA!

lol, ive seen this extreme makeover programme and they seem very socialble. i guess you could be right about LA, thats where rich people live i think.

shn_mrtn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shn_mrtn
[QUOTE="shn_mrtn"][QUOTE="jordina"][QUOTE="shn_mrtn"][QUOTE="jordina"]

i said dude didnt i.

jordina

lol, ive seen this extreme makeover programme and they seem very socialble. i guess you could be right about LA, thats where rich people live i think.

Yes they do, I visited LA once, it is a nice city, except the motorists are a-holes... Anyway I tired of these romance themes in the games, I just want a good story and fighting. Tactics did not have romance, and I was fantastic!
TheOdinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheOdinson
Tactics had some romance, I mean it all occurred during the side quest, but it was still there. However, that game really used relationships, not love, but family, political, and social relationships to manipulate and drive the story. So while romance wasn't a key, I still think love mattered, although on a very different scale, and it made the story that much better. It made the actions seem so real and important because people's families and friends were involved, not just a few characters and their stories, but the better portion of the people were kind of linked by the happenings. The story in FFT is a real masterpiece.
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kinetic-core
yup, but sakaguchi is not a master at romance, nomura is, i think. So, as i have mentioned, i'd really like to see a Nomura-Sakaguchi Final Fantasy. It'll be the greatest! :D Sakaguchi did a wonderful job with FFIV, FFT and FFXII. A lot of depth in his story, but romance was not too emphasized upon. :( And, if sakaguchi is ever involved in a love story, i'm sure nothing will turn out to be the "happily-ever-after" kind. lol.
FinalHorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 FinalHorror
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts
I kinda hope they will make a new story with love, but not as a big theme. But as a background, love should not be a to big part of the game i think but thats me:)