New FFXIII-2 info.Multiple endings,100 Monsters to throw pokeballs at and more!

• 103 results
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts

Final Fantasy XIII-2 director Motomu Toriyama and producer Yoshinori Kitase revealed more details on the game in Dengkei magazine:

http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/ 

http://www.the-magicbox.com/ 

• * Noel and Serah will be the two protagonists in the story, but Lightning is also a major character
  • * XIII-2 shows Noel as a cool, strong male character, as opposed to XIII shows Lightning as a strong female warrior
  • * Noel is a beast hunter in Gran Pulse
  • * Snow will appear in the game, and he doesn't concern the relationship between Noel and Serah
  • * The E3 Demo was a barebone version of two chapters in the game with most story sequences and dialogs cut out
  • * The monster capture and raising element in the game will bring new strategies to the battle system
  • * There are monsters specific for each role like Ravager, Commando and Sentinel, the monsters can also grow using Crystarium
  • * Player can control up to 3 characters in battle, including the monster, but sometimes there will be additional guest characters in the battle
  • * The music composer is Masashi Hamauzu, he will try to retain the same music s-t-y-l-e- in XIII, another compose will deliver new music for the story background and world setting
  • * You can walk in the town, talk to different people and collect info, sometimes you can trigger new events
  • * The town will be more life-like, for example people will stay under covered area when raining
  • * Moogles will help you search for hidden items and explore in dungeons
  • * The game will have auto save feature, you can save at anywhere in the game
Multiple Endings
Director Motomu Toriyama has also teased that players can expect multiple endings from the game, as well as a more open approach to the narrative as opposed to FFXIII's linear, chapter-based system.

Speaking with RPGSite, Toriyama said in response to a question about the linear approach of FFXIII, "There isn't an awful lot I can tell you on this subject, but we have changed that structure, because obviously people didn't like it—there is a new one.

"For details on that, we'll have to wait until TGS, but one thing I can tell you is that for the first time in the Final Fantasy series, XIII-2 will have multiple endings."

Battle Mechanics
Final Fantasy XIII-2 shares many similarities with the original game, in fact, a whole lot of it will be extremely familiar with fans, from the various st-yle-s, paradigms and even the fast-paced Active-Time Battle system. Square Enix is, however, adding some interesting new features, including the ability to recruit monsters to aid Noel and Serah in their quest.

It's a feature not unlike that seen prominently in Pokemon or PERSONA. There are over a hundred various monsters that the dynamic duo will be able to recruit to their party and, according to producer Yoshinori Kitase, each monster has their own unique roles and characteristics. While they basically act as a third party member, they add a new level of strategic importance to the game's battle system.

"A new feature to this game is collecting and recruiting around a hundred types of monsters that can work for you," Kitase explained. "They'll become your party members as well. Monsters have their own sort of roles – not exactly the same as human characters, we have roles for each monster – and you can actually pick and mix such and such a move if it's quite useful. You can fit these monsters into your tactics, giving the game more variation."

Paradigm Shifts and the Crystarium will be returning to FFXIII-2 as well. Kitase noted that the Crystarium won't be exactly the same, but wouldn't say to what extent.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts
I'm still not too happy with recruiting monsters. I want a third character that isn't disposable and has a chance at a story.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 angelbless

I'm still not too happy with recruiting monsters. I want a third character that isn't disposable and has a chance at a story.magitekk

Why would you dispose of your favorite pokemons? :P lol.. yeah, I dont really know if we are used to have only 2 characters in a FF game :?

PyreofKoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 112

User Lists: 4

#4 PyreofKoL
Member since 2005 • 6059 Posts
I'm honestly surprised that Squeenix is going through with this after how split the fanbase was on X-2. After much consideration I've decided that I'm probably not going to play any part of the XIII series because of linear it was.
Han_the_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Han_the_Dragon
Member since 2006 • 1506 Posts

I'm not sure how much I will like that 3rd party member thing, but knowing I like SMT it will probably be fine (still I think it doesn't fit into the FF world...)...

And I just hope I have money for this when this is out, since money is short nowadays and I'm buying at least 3 games this year (Catherine, Disgaea 4 and Dark Souls), and hardly know how I will be financially at the start of next year...

And I'm already leaving behind (or for when I have some extra money) WKC2, Atelier Rorona and Ar Tonelico... still an FF game would take priority over any of those 3, but not over the other 3 (or a new SMT game) nowadays...

Not to mention that I'm still looking forward to VS XIII more then this...

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#6 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
I'm going to avoid this just like I did to X-2. I don't care for the characters and story in XIII-1 so at most I'll give it a rent.
AlBeadFFx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 AlBeadFFx
Member since 2004 • 5813 Posts
looks ok.... but i agree with magitekk. i dont want a disposable 3rd character, give me someone important to the storyline
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
The monster idea is iffy with me, because I wasn't too fond of it in FFX. Also, most of this was covered in the S.E interview at E3. I'm more interested in if we can have New Game+, because if there are multiple endings, then it would be easier/funner to go through the story-line with some things you had in the past game.
Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Balmane
Member since 2008 • 13255 Posts
I am gonna give the game a chance... like I did with X-2 which was ok in it's own right.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

This is really starting to remind me of the Tales of Symphonia sequal. 2 main characters, the other slots filled with monsters you capture. And the occasional guest character joining you from the first game. I wasn't a big fan of recruiting monsters from that game, this probably won't be any different.

And they said this is the first FF game with multiple endings. But it's not, X-2 did.

clever-cookies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clever-cookies
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts

Definitely doesnt appeal to me. I prefer actual party members so we can have (wait for it)...CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!!

Although, Square Enix could have extra party characters,as I remember seeing footage of the player as lightning from E3. Perhaps they'll have two parties? Serah, M.C. hammer pants and monster plus Lightning ,two other characters???

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Balmane

Definitely doesnt appeal to me. I prefer actual party members so we can have (wait for it)...CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!!

Although, Square Enix could have extra party characters,as I remember seeing footage of the player as lightning from E3. Perhaps they'll have two parties? Serah, M.C. hammer pants and monster plus Lightning ,two other characters???

clever-cookies

I'd say in important parts of the game Lightning, Sahz, Snow and all the original crew will help at a certain point but only briefly. I'd say that Snow and Serah didn't work out and now it's Noel and Serah.... OH YEAH BABY!! 8) 

AlBeadFFx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AlBeadFFx
[QUOTE="clever-cookies"]

Balmane

I'd say in important parts of the game Lightning, Sahz, Snow and all the original crew will help at a certain point but only briefly. I'd say that Snow and Serah didn't work out and now it's Noel and Serah.... OH YEAH BABY!! 8) 

just what we need... more teenage angst..... didnt we have enough of this with Tidus? wheres fs to agree with me?

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 magitekk
Lazyathew: Everything reminds you of the Tales series.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lazyathew

Lazyathew: Everything reminds you of the Tales series.magitekk
I didn't bring it up THAT often did I? lol :P

But Yeah, I was starting to notice that too... But that and Final Fantasy are my two favorite RPG series', so ya I often tend to get reminded of the other easily when I think of one.

But really though, these are some pretty big similarities with these two sequals, lol. But even if they are copying, I have still noticed the Tales series copying off of Final Fantasy more times, so... yeah, lol. (The plots in Symphonia 1 and FFX are almost identical, FFX came out first)

WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WSGRandomPerson
Unlike most posters, I actually enjoyed FFXIII. :P So I'm looking forward to the sequal, I just hope it doesn't crash-and-burn like FFX-2 did. (For the record, I disliked FFX too.)
AlBeadFFx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlBeadFFx

Unlike most posters, I actually enjoyed FFXIII. :P So I'm looking forward to the sequal, I just hope it doesn't crash-and-burn like FFX-2 did. (For the record, I disliked FFX too.)WSGRandomPerson

i enjoyed XIII and X. so i agree that hopefully the XIII sequal doesnt crash and burn like the X sequal. took me forever to finally beat the game and even then it wasnt like i had hoped it to be.

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Balmane
[QUOTE="Balmane"][QUOTE="clever-cookies"]

AlBeadFFx

just what we need... more teenage angst..... didnt we have enough of this with Tidus? wheres fs to agree with me?

Yeah but Tidus was an annoying character... it all depends on what Noel is like. 

blackwingzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#19 blackwingzero
Member since 2009 • 1683 Posts

Regardless how it turns out based on what I've seen so far I want it:D However I'll wait and see what the offical review says. My gut tells me that will probably be a worthy entry into the final fantasy franchise regardless.

AlBeadFFx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlBeadFFx
[QUOTE="AlBeadFFx"][QUOTE="Balmane"][QUOTE="clever-cookies"]

Balmane

Yeah but Tidus was an annoying character... it all depends on what Noel is like. 

true... i like the character but i know that he is annoying. hopefully Noel can be the opposite of Tidus

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts
100 monsters to throw pokeballs at, lol
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 magitekk

The title would've been funny if they got it right. The monsters themselves don't throw the pokeballs, we do.

EDIT: By the way, the opposite of Tidus pretty much equals Squall.

AlBeadFFx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlBeadFFx
well i dont think we want that either...... so what would we like to see in Noel?
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lazyathew
Actually, I think the opposite of Tidus is Cloud. But still. I actually didn't mind Tidus though. But I would't want this guy to be a replica of anybody, and he probably won't. He'll just be his own character. Who we don't know yet.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 magitekk

The guy seems insanely similar to some character I know. . .

But then again, from what we've seen, he seems pretty generic. Guess we just have to tune in for more info.

cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 cjimrun
Member since 2011 • 1255 Posts
My main concern with Noel is that he doesn't replace Snow as Serah's love interest. They spent too much time on their relationship in XIII to just drop-it between games.
Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Balmane
There will probably be some huge explanation somewhere in the game for that.
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WSGRandomPerson

[QUOTE="WSGRandomPerson"]Unlike most posters, I actually enjoyed FFXIII. :P So I'm looking forward to the sequal, I just hope it doesn't crash-and-burn like FFX-2 did. (For the record, I disliked FFX too.)AlBeadFFx

i enjoyed XIII and X. so i agree that hopefully the XIII sequal doesnt crash and burn like the X sequal. took me forever to finally beat the game and even then it wasnt like i had hoped it to be.

I didn't like FFX, so that didn't help too much playing through FFX-2. I got half way into it and said, " **** it. "
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 magitekk
Sadly, I have this issue with having to finish a movie/game/etc. regardless of how bad it is. Consider yourself lucky that you were able to put FFX-2 down xD
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 killerband55
[QUOTE="AlBeadFFx"]

[QUOTE="WSGRandomPerson"]Unlike most posters, I actually enjoyed FFXIII. :P So I'm looking forward to the sequal, I just hope it doesn't crash-and-burn like FFX-2 did. (For the record, I disliked FFX too.)WSGRandomPerson

I didn't like FFX, so that didn't help too much playing through FFX-2. I got half way into it and said, " **** it. "

well FFXIII-2 will be a much better sequal than X-2

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 magitekk
...and how would you know this? From what we've seen, it's possible, but of course, there's no guarantee.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 angelbless

The title would've been funny if they got it right. The monsters themselves don't throw the pokeballs, we do.

EDIT: By the way, the opposite of Tidus pretty much equals Squall.

magitekk

oh come on.. killerband got it :?...:P

Anyway, I just saw I reached the topic´s words limit, so thats why I "intentionally" omitted that word :P (ok fixed) 

...and how would you know this? From what we've seen, it's possible, but of course, there's no guarantee.magitekk

Well, at least you dont have to change your clothes in order to do different attacks :?..

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Balmane
You people gotta believe!! BELIEVE!! That this will be a good game!!
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WSGRandomPerson
...and how would you know this? From what we've seen, it's possible, but of course, there's no guarantee.magitekk

For me it will be, because I thoroughly enjoy FFXIII's story line way more than I did FFX's story line.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 killerband55

because FFXIII-2 isnt a complete girly fest, it has Serah and Lightning confirmed, but also the other guy as well Noel

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Balmane

[QUOTE="magitekk"]...and how would you know this? From what we've seen, it's possible, but of course, there's no guarantee.WSGRandomPerson

For me it will be, because I thoroughly enjoy FFXIII's story line way more than I did FFX's story line.

I actually agree with you there.I had more fun with FFXIII than I did FFX. 

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 D3dr0_0
You people gotta believe!! BELIEVE!! That this will be a good game!!Balmane
I tried that with XIII, I even did that while playing through the game as soon. As I beat the game I sold it, its the first Final Fantasy I loathed.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 magitekk
Oh, come on. There have been worse FF games. Take FF2 for example.
clever-cookies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clever-cookies
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts

Oh, come on. There have been worse FF games. Take FF2 for example.magitekk

Agreed, I'd take XIII over FFII anyday.

AlBeadFFx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AlBeadFFx

[QUOTE="magitekk"]Oh, come on. There have been worse FF games. Take FF2 for example.clever-cookies

well it looks like im not going to have a fun time with II when i get around to it

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Balmane

Comparing it to the worst FF in the series isn't saying much because it's not possible to get worse than that :P 

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 angelbless
[QUOTE="clever-cookies"]

[QUOTE="magitekk"]Oh, come on. There have been worse FF games. Take FF2 for example.AlBeadFFx

well it looks like im not going to have a fun time with II when i get around to it

It isnt THAT bad :(..but probably not the best 2d FF game  :(

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 killerband55

which FF2 are you talking about, the one on the SNES that was really FF4, or the actual FF2? (cause i dont remember that one)

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 magitekk
The FF2 with Firion, the Emperor, and friends. I only ever refer to FF games by the name they actually hold (how they actually went in chronological order).
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WSGRandomPerson

I enjoyed that one too.

Even though I 'cheated' and whored the leveling system in the beginning, and destroyed through it. (Skipped through majority of the story line to get to the town of Mysidia,(I think?) and went from there.)
Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Balmane
I hated that game with a passion.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 magitekk
I didn't hate it, really. It was just waaay too simplistic.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 angelbless
lol.. Now I remember that I also cheated the leveling system. Pressing attack and then back hundred of times :?. Among other things :P
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 D3dr0_0

I've only played Final Fantasy IV and up and I enjoyed all of them except the online ones.

WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 WSGRandomPerson
Well, I really didn't like FFIII (DS Version) that much either. Don't know why, just didn't.