black_hen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3 black_hen
Member since 2008 • 367 Posts
I like them too, but lots of ff fans say they suck.
MonkeyStew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 MonkeyStew
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts
I like them too, but lots of ff fans say they suck.black_hen

I thought it was just Atlus games in general. The problem I've seen is that Atlus makes some fairly good games, and a few decent ones too;it's just the Atlus fans obsess over their games by calling them "Ten-point-oh" material, loading their hypes just because of the hard-to-find quality the Atlus game posses. So Atlus may make some good games, but being rare doesn't make them great. I will admit, and I'm sure others can agree, that Atlus has made some quality games, like Persona 3 and Digital Devil Saga, but even with these games I feel like the hype they recieve is because of their scarcity.

So I think the reason why a lot of FF fans dislike Atlus games is because they don't deserve the hype and fame the games recieve- much unlike Final Fantasy.
dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#5 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

I like the Persona series  like Persona 3 and getting Persona 4 when it comes out but I am not really interested of the other games SMT throws out though

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts
I love Atlus and they say so cuz... (Atlus is giving Square a run for its money :lol: ) Seriesly Atlus is Square's biggest competition, and it growing every game. And not to hate on square (just SE), but Atlus aren't sell outs
MonkeyStew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonkeyStew
I love Atlus and they say so cuz... (Atlus is giving Square a run for its money :lol: ) Seriesly Atlus is Square's biggest competition, and it growing every game. And not to hate on square (just SE), but Atlus aren't sell outsunknown37

Too true. I can't agree more. The thing with me, is if there's an honest Atlus fan, no prejudice and no loaded praise, than it's legit in my book :lol: I actually am a huge fan of Odin Sphere, just to say.
smootheyes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 smootheyes2
Member since 2005 • 3203 Posts
Beth loves Persona 3 and I like Nocturne:P
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts
In fact I like SMT series too.. though I havent played Digital Devil Saga :(
equimanthorn01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 equimanthorn01
Member since 2008 • 1769 Posts
In fact I like SMT series too.. though I havent played Digital Devil Saga :(angelbless
I highly recommend you do
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 angelbless

[QUOTE="angelbless"]In fact I like SMT series too.. though I havent played Digital Devil Saga :(equimanthorn01

Really? I found DDS1 and 2 in a Store.. going to look for them then :D

equimanthorn01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 equimanthorn01

[QUOTE="equimanthorn01"][QUOTE="angelbless"]In fact I like SMT series too.. though I havent played Digital Devil Saga :(angelbless

Really? I found DDS1 and 2 in a Store.. going to look for them then :D

They are not cheap but they are great. I love the darker appoach and more mature themes that are not typical in RPGs that they explore
Han_the_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Han_the_Dragon
Member since 2006 • 1506 Posts

I love Atlus and they say so cuz... (Atlus is giving Square a run for its money :lol: ) Seriously Atlus is Square's biggest competition, and it growing every game. And not to hate on square (just SE), but Atlus aren't sell outsunknown37

This is really true, but then level 5 isn't sleeping to (well actually it seams that is...), and actually I hope SE came back to want it was before they merge with Enix (FF kind of died a lot after that, and XII is still in my black list, that game doesn't felt like a FF, even the gameplay was to much of a dungeon crawler, FF never relied so much in it or even completely in the gameplay until XII, since the dungeons where to big to make the story flow well enough), but then Nocturne is the same thing (and I don't like it that much), but SMT games where always more in a dungeon crawler then FF, and story wise they are more or less on the same level.

But then, the funny thing is Square-Soft (not SE), did a great job putting the RPGs high in the ps2 with FFX, and Atlus is finishing the life time of the ps2 also in a big way with Persona 4 (in the US) and Persona 3 FES (in Europe), so really both old Square and now the Atlus are my favorite companies when it comes to RPGs (with level 5 lost somewhere in between mainly for Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud 2).

And we will see soon (not really but soon enough) in the new gen, since FFXIII is to be released next year, White Knight Chronicles December in Japan and next year everywhere (even if the game was supposed to be kind of different, and I actually don't know to what point it will be good, but still hardly will be lower then average for sure), and there's some SMT game in the making (probably will only see the light in 2010...).

Still this fight between those companies will be good for us since all them will (hopefully) make great and better games, since FF will always sell well, but if SE keep in screwing up (like most of those FFVII games they made, hell if instead of beating FFVII just for money if they think in putting all that money in 1 or 2 new games, that would return FF to it's greatest times... but I think for that it would be needed that Enix had never merged with Square-Soft....), then FF will only sell for fans, since a name doesn't make a great game, but a great game makes a name (that's what happened with Dark Cloud 2 and Persona 3) and if SE wants to keep all the fans they have nowadays is better they start delivering the great games we used to see under the FF name (and I'm really looking forward to XIII and VS XIII, and hope that the game is as good as we are all expecting or better, specially now since I have a ps3...).

Note: I know this is an FF die hard fans, but I think you guys can see what I mean, most of those games are just a waste of time and money that are only made to sell, not to be good (I'm talking mainly of all this FFVII games out now) and I think all we know this would never happen if it was the old Square-Soft (yes they did some, but not at the current level).

Also I forgot.

Angelbless if getting DDS try to get both (since you said you saw both) or none...

Really the 2nd game has some spoilers of the 1st, and some things don't make sense without playing the 1st, but if you only play the 1st game you will be clueless of what happened (believe me, I only started to understand what the hell happened in the 1st game when I started playing the 2nd one...), but if you played Nocturne you know in what you are in for (battle wise), just easier, and actually those where the ones that throw me into this SMT world... until that time (2 years or so) I almost only had played FF games, but after playing that I started to look for other RPGs, and liked a lot of them (for some reason I didn't liked of the little I played of Odin Sphere, and never got into it....), I just hate, really hate how hard is to find any RPG that isn't an FF game, hell even KH games are hard (well not that hard, but harder then FF games) to find here... and I'm missing some ps2 RPGs I would like to play, but finding them is hard (not able to buy on-line make it worst)...

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts

*Breaks through wall of text*

OH YEAH!

MonkeyStew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonkeyStew

since a name doesn't make a great game, but a great game makes a name

Han_the_Dragon

*Might be considered "off-topic"*

Too true. Consumers have been too complacent as to what really defines a great RPG. We may call a recent RPG great, just because it does exactly what an RPG should do. We give games praise for just following the genre and doing what it's supposed to do- making it look spectacular in the midst of mediocre games. The game developers may figure to not go through tons of trouble of making a good game when they'd get just as many sells otherwise. Games these days, and I'm affraid to say even Final Fantasy, have become less of an art and more of a business- in the end the developers only care about numbers.

tidurlagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tidurlagi
Member since 2008 • 468 Posts
Hmm, not play lot of SMT games. I just recently play Persona 3 FES, i think that game good. I enjoy it.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts
I've never played any SMT games, but they look like good fun.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I've never played any SMT games, but they look like good fun.DrAwesomeMD

Yuuuuuuuuuup! Same here.

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 unknown37
[QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]I've never played any SMT games, but they look like good fun.

*GASP* Go to the store, find p3fes, buy it and play it... NOW!!! XD
equimanthorn01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 equimanthorn01
[QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]I've never played any SMT games, but they look like good fun. unknown37

DDS1 and 2 dude
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 angelbless

Also I forgot.

Angelbless if getting DDS try to get both (since you said you saw both) or none...

Really the 2nd game has some spoilers of the 1st, and some things don't make sense without playing the 1st, but if you only play the 1st game you will be clueless of what happened (believe me, I only started to understand what the hell happened in the 1st game when I started playing the 2nd one...), but if you played Nocturne you know in what you are in for (battle wise), just easier, and actually those where the ones that throw me into this SMT world... until that time (2 years or so) I almost only had played FF games, but after playing that I started to look for other RPGs, and liked a lot of them (for some reason I didn't liked of the little I played of Odin Sphere, and never got into it....), I just hate, really hate how hard is to find any RPG that isn't an FF game, hell even KH games are hard (well not that hard, but harder then FF games) to find here... and I'm missing some ps2 RPGs I would like to play, but finding them is hard (not able to buy on-line make it worst)...

Han_the_Dragon

:o.. I will sure look out for both of them then.. I only now of a place where they stills eel it though

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 unknown37
[QUOTE="unknown37"][QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]I've never played any SMT games, but they look like good fun. equimanthorn01

DDS1 and 2 dude

I said P3 cuz its the easiest to find, and its cheaper
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 kinetic-core
Member since 2006 • 9423 Posts

Persona 4 is still too yellow for me to swallow. I've got the JPN release on the first week and i still hasn't finished it.

It's too yellow... literally

And i cannot hate Atlus fans, because i'm one too. :roll:

Han_the_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Han_the_Dragon

Persona 4 is still too yellow for me to swallow. I've got the JPN release on the first week and i still hasn't finished it.

It's too yellow... literally

And i cannot hate Atlus fans, because i'm one too. :roll:

kinetic-core

??

Like the blue in P3? if is that, that's not that good, since I don't like all that much of yellow....

Still P4 will take 1 year to be released here (Europe) if it even gets released so... I will wait, but then next year  think I will not be all that interested in P4, since at the biggining of the year Eternal Sonata and Disgaea 3 will be out here, and probably Gran Turismo 5, FFXIII, FF VS XIII and Tekken 6 will also see the light of the day here, so... I think I will have other priorities by then... Well I'm an huge fan of SMT games, but I'm also a huge fan of GT and to some point of FF and Tekken, I have been a bigger fan of FF but since FFX (my favorite FF game followed by IX) I didn't saw anything really that amazing in the FF world except the battle system improvements to the ATB in FFX-2, the Gambit system and actually DoC wasn't that bad (note, I'm not a shooter guy, actually I hate then, it's like I find then umplayable or something, but found DoC actually easy to get used to), since I really didn't find anything that good story wise in any post FFX, FF games... but then maybe X story made me put a high standard for FF games, but then I started into the SMT world with DDS, loved it tried to get the 2nd as soon as I knew I had to buy it to fully understand the story, liked it even more, then got Nocturne, never finished it (it's like Nocturne story is non-existent or at least so subtle that I really can't get into it... but same battle system as both DDS so I think I see it like more of the same, even if a lot of things are different) and P3, well I think since FFX only DDS (both games together) and P3 where able to make me like then in a special way DDS mainly because it left so many unanswered questions and had so many new things at the time, and P3 because of the story, since with a light exception of DDS I don't remember of anything this good since FFX, and I started playing FFX 5 years ago (hell already passed 5 years..)

But then I only play the PS, PS2 and PS3 titles, since I only own those systems, so I may be missing in some good things from SE, and I'm some how waiting to see if SE think in doing a pal release of Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories, since except the battle system of the 1st KH game I actually liked it, and the KH2 battle system improvements proved to make it a good game...

Sorry for the new wall of text...

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 kinetic-core
Member since 2006 • 9423 Posts
YEAH! Just like that Blue in P3. Yellow was really too suffocating for me...
Han_the_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Han_the_Dragon

I can see that, since the blue in P3 is nice and all, but that's because that blue isn't exactly a colour that would stood out so much as the Yellow I have seen in pics of P4...

But then I'm still hopping for a Pal conversion, since if the story is really good I can forgive then a little for that... and anyway I would like to at least try it.

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 unknown37
Cant wait until tuesday, I've had it preordered for months, Hopefully we'll see some news about the new ps3 game soon too
unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 unknown37

Hey you european peoplez! Its your Lucky day, Square enix  just picked up the rights to Persona 4! you get it in Spring 09 without the shin megami tensei name on it, but I guess thats better than never

TEH PROOF!!1!!1!!

Han_the_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Han_the_Dragon

I already had heard of it, but without any source.

Thanks and is nice to see that Disgaea 3 is also confirmed, but now those 2 and Eternal Sonata in the 1st half of the year and with FF13 and VS, Tekken 6, GT5 (still I'm hoping for a pre-2010 date), White Knight Chronicles (I still want to see this, no matter how good or bad it may turn up) are just messing my plans...

But then GT, FF, SMT, Tekken games are always may 4 top priorities and go over any other games (in that order actually, since I may say that I'm a GT and RPG player that like fighters, and I'm a fan of GT before anything else, then an RPG fan with SMT and FF in more or less the same level).