REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

All of Nintendo's consoles have been labeled with a kid friendly image.  In fact, the Florida lawyer questioning the content of the upcoming release for Wii, Manhunt 2, was quoted saying that:

"Florida retailers are scheduled to sell a very violent video game called Manhunt 2 which will be available, remarkably, for "play" on the kids-friendly Nintendo Wii gaming platform."

But the question is, is this really a kids platform?  Or is this just something he has labeled Nintendo with.  What do you think?  Is Nintendo more than just the "kiddy" console forum users make it out to be, or is it really supposed to be labeled a kids console, regardless of what Nintendo themselves label it.

ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 ihateelvis
Member since 2006 • 2380 Posts

This is definitely a hot topic, especially among my friends at school who know that I love Nintendo and who just love to bash Nintendo with their false claims of it being "kiddy."

This isn't to say that it's just as hardcore as its competing systems, however. In fact, by the way that things have been going lately, it seems as if Nintendo is trying to appeal to the newer gamers, and in doing say is isolating its older fans and making them wonder "Do we really matter anymore? Are a few harder, more violent games enough to keep the devoted fans to keep coming back?"

But it hasn't always been like this, it just seems to be like that lately. In the past, sure, they had Mario, and it didn't contain as many games geared towards older audiences, but it is by no means "kiddy." Are people really so shallow that they can't look at a game like Mario or Legend of Zelda and actually admit that yes, these games are fun?! It still has a fair share of T-rated games, and a few M-rated ones as well.

The only thing Nintendo can be accused of is not conforming to what everybody seems to want these days. All the people want right now are FPS and RTS, and really, does every single system have to appeal to these narrow-minded people? Nintendo is trying to expose people to new types of games, genres, and ultimately, ways to play.

No, Nintendo isn't kiddy. They're simply a company trying to make innovative and different games, while at the same time making it fun for everybody.

P.S. That lawyer obviously has never heard of Parental Controls. ;) 

Majura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Majura
Member since 2006 • 3074 Posts

'no more heroes', 'sadness', 'orb', 'Midnight', 'Project HAMMER' (bad example)

These are Wii-exclusive titles to come, which will probably get rated M or at least T, and there are even more of em! Nintendo IS aiming at all audiances, including the older ones. But there is a difference between these games and Manhunt. For everything I know about it, these games seem to be violent in a more artistic way. You know, Killer7. Manhunt seems just gore.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#4 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Loads of people I know say Nintendo consoles are for kids. Why do they put amazing games like Resident Evil 4 on Nintendo consoles because it's a amazing game. I never listen to what other people think I think Nintendo is for everyone where as you look at Playstation 3 and XBox360 they seem to be just for teenagers but the Wii is for everyone.
Willdyer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Willdyer10
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts

No.

Nintendo provides to both Adult AND children gamers. 

MacUser511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 MacUser511
Member since 2005 • 831 Posts
Hmmm, well I don't try to label it as one or the other. I feel that it isn't Nintendo's intent to publish "childish" or "juvenile" games, but rather to publish ones that everyone can enjoy. I think that what happened with the Gamecube was Ninendo's lack of 3rd party devs, and this resulted in Nintendo creating ALOT of MarioParty titles, as well as the occasional Animal Crossing (Hell Yeah). However, like I previously addressed, it isn't Nintendo as much as it is the devs. As long as we have Splinter Cells, Metroids, Zeldas (Twilight Princess was pretty far from "kiddy", does anyone remember the ***SPOILER ALERT***         part when Midna climbs Hyrule Castle?          ***SPOILERS OVER*** pretty intense), Manhunts, and No More Heroes, we can expect a pretty diverse  range of titles, even if it includes the occasion Pokémon offering. Short answer: its the devs.
Smoke2Much

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Smoke2Much
Member since 2006 • 1520 Posts
I wouldn't say that Nintendo is " kiddy",but it is geared to the younger age group compared to Microsoft and Sony. It's funny that i was just thinking the same thing about Nintendo(but i don't believe it !!!) do to the fact that I've been looking for a good "M" rated game for either DS or Wii.As for this lawyer he probably has no idea what he's talking about.Probably some up tight conservative bureaucrat trying to make head lines with the ever so popular " Video game Violence" BS !!!.
Greencrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Greencrash
Member since 2005 • 886 Posts
i'm getting annoyed at the " stereotypical kiddy " Nintendo games. i think this is why Ubisoft is not caring 2 much about it. i played double agent and  i must admit as much as i liked  splinter cell games and the wii ,  the controls were awful and took from the game play i did not get past level 1 before i gave it back to my friend.
Link_188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Link_188
Member since 2006 • 5770 Posts
Nintendo isnt kiddy cuz adults work there. And the console is just metal and plastic and other materials so it cant be kiddy but has an image of what engineers do.
Rev06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Rev06
Member since 2005 • 615 Posts
Just don't let it bother you if it does.  You can play what you want and you don't have to care about what other people say.  (Like Pokemon, for example)
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chocolate1325
I pefer to play Nintendo hardware over any other console or handheld around. Nintendo is great at the moment. No matter what anyone says about Nintendo I will continue to like them. The Wii is an amazing console and it and can get even better.
Artemis_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Artemis_D
Member since 2004 • 593 Posts

I never thought Nintendo was for children. I don't know how they ended up being labeled as such. Nintendo is all about family, yes, but that doesn't make them kiddy. Nintendo wants to make games for everybody. It's not that most of thier games are kiddy, I just think that the video game community just has the wrong idea of what adult and mature really means. WHen I think adult and mature, I don't think of blowing the heads off of zombies or being able to "cut dudes in the face". That's not what those words mean to me. An adult should be able to find joy in the more simple things, as well. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Nintendo is rather popular with the adults anyway, with the DS being so huge right now.

But anyway, I really just think we've got the wrong idea about what being an adult really means. Nintendo knows what it's doing. They made the industry what it is today, with its simple pick up and play games, that everybody remembers and loves. Every game isnt supposed to be Metal Gear or God of War, and honestly, I appreciate what Nintendo does. A lot of times, it's a breath of fresh air from all the useless crap that a lot of the other companies are pumping out.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chocolate1325
If Nintendo is kiddy why are so many adults playing on the Wii. It's fun different and it's making Nintendo the best company in the world the best again.  With graphics like on zelda the Wind Waker it is still as good as most PS2 games. SEGA was targeted to an older audience and it realeased 2 years before the SNES and the SNES still beat it with top games. I have only been a Nintendo fan for a while now. Nothing is kiddy about the Wii or DS or any of the Nintendo consoles.
Agreb91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 Agreb91
Member since 2005 • 7169 Posts
I think that people view Nintendo stuff as kid stuff which is wrong. People forget that older gamers play the Wii and should have the right to get Manhunt 2 for the Wii. The Wii is not a kids console. It never will be, and it should not be perceived as one.
IAMSHAWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 IAMSHAWN
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

I agree with all 13 of you (youre all saying the same thing). Of course it was obvious what responses you would get bringing up this topic in a Nintendo fan Union.

Link_188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Link_188
Member since 2006 • 5770 Posts

I agree with all 13 of you (youre all saying the same thing). Of course it was obvious what responses you would get bringing up this topic in a Nintendo fan Union.

IAMSHAWN
13 different people didnt post in this thread. Only like 11
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

The Wii is not a bit kiddy,but all those meathead PS3 or X360 ownerswho criticize games just based on graphical power also seem to think that a console is "kiddy" if more than half of its games aren't gory M-rated shooters.Unfortunately,they seem to make up most of the gaming population right now.............:?

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
Nintendo isn't kiddy in the sense of the games they make. But they sure have a reputation of being kiddy. Nintendo makes great games they are accessible to Everyone. Just because a game is rated E doesn't make the game any less mature or any less good then a M rated game. These so called "Hardcore gamers" think any game that doens't have tons of blood and gore is automatically kiddy and not for them, which is totally wrong and ignorant. There are many games that are rated E that appel to gamers. Yes Nintendo has made some games look kiddy but they aren't a kiddy company. They make games for everyone and that's fine by me. I don't care if you say Nintendo is kiddy, because I know they are not and if you say they you are just ignorant.
badkarma1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 badkarma1591
Member since 2006 • 1602 Posts
I think its aimed at a lower age group, but many people in their teens and twentys enjoy many of the mario games and zelda