Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

User Lists: 0

#1 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts

Source

Months before its second anniversary and in a crap world economy, Sony's PLAYSTATION 3 console has sold 2 million units in the United Kingdom.

"It's a premium product, so therefore it costs a premium price, and that does give us issues in terms of the expected sell-through that analysts and the media want," explains Sony Computer Entertainment UK's Ray Maguire, "but actually when you look at it in isolation: close to a million units in a year which is really tough, at a premium price, actually shows that's a great number."

What's more, the PS3 United Kingdom sales show great potential. Meaning? If the price went down, you'd see higher sales. "We have potentially more longevity in PLAYSTATION 3 than we had in the previous PlayStations," Maguire added, "simply because if the price goes down we've still got a massive market place to sell in to."

Sony also announced that the PSP has reached the three million milestone in the UK.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#2 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts
hehhehe I think that was there intention... Sony really value there product
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts
That's great news for Sony, and also last week the PS3 out sold the Wii in Japan thanks to Yakuza.
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#4 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts
I think it should put fanboys to rest, good news anyway.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Its interesting, but then again the Wii sold that many in December alone in just USA :P

I just would like to see the price drop to make it more value for money rather than the "well lets not cut the price, lets put a bigger hard disk in and sell that" approach Sony has.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4415 Posts
Yeah, I think these current generation consoles are too expensive. Although Sony is doing good, they should try to get more revenue out of software sale instead of the console. In this aspect, I think Sega did the smartest thing. They can now sell to any platform and get more money instead of relying solely on Dreamcast.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts
Thats true although the issue for Microsoft and Sony is both loose money on console sales. Only Nintendo currently makes a profit out of hardware in terms of console sales. Sony have put themsevles in a tricky situation where they need software to sell but also the console needs to stay at this price level or higher really to get profitable from it after all the money they spent on research and development, never mind the actual cost of all the parts they use.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#8 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts

Yeah, I think these current generation consoles are too expensive. Although Sony is doing good, they should try to get more revenue out of software sale instead of the console. In this aspect, I think Sega did the smartest thing. They can now sell to any platform and get more money instead of relying solely on Dreamcast. DeadManRollin

I also think SquareEnix is also trying that behaviour aswell... I think many companies will do the same to develop games in all areas to rake in more revenue.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pai-may
Member since 2008 • 4101 Posts
To be fair, square never lost out big like sega did in the console war. The saturn really hammered them and the Dreamcast, awesome as it was just couldn't compete with ps1, n64 and then ps2 sales. Long may sega and square-enix remain as publishers of fantastic games though.