[Off-Topic] We Love Wikipedia

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4416 Posts

I used to have these 3 hour long evening clases which were very difficult to endure. After working for 8-9 hours, it is difficult by definition to attend evening clases, and the fact that the teachers were boring didn't help it either. During those difficult times, my Nokia communicator and Wikipedia kept me alive and awake, and even today, I can't imagine life without Wikipedia. No matter what you are looking for, chances are high that you will find some useful information in Wikipedia. 

Wikipedia  is a free multilingual encyclopedia project supported by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation. Its name is a portmanteau of the words wiki (a technology for creating collaborative websites, from the Hawaiian word wiki, meaning 'fast') and encyclopedia. Wikipedia's 12 million articles (2.75 million in English) have been written collaboratively by volunteers around the world, and almost all of its articles can be edited by anyone who can access the Wikipedia website. Launched in January 2001 by Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger, it is currently the most popular general reference work on the Internet.

Share your thoughts, feelings and memories regarding wiki. 

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Benny_is_here
Member since 2004 • 10084 Posts
I love wikipedia. I like reading the discussion pages on articles like Masturbation and Penis Loads of fun arguing.
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#3 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts
Wikipedia is a great resource for information and news sources - they're life savers during arguments like Benny said.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

I'm a fan of Wikipedia  - I use Wikipedia to look up video games because it often has more info on the game than what GameSpot gives.

I also like the fact that I can look up a game and eventually wind up of an article on the Easter Islands.

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Benny_is_here

I'm a fan of Wikipedia  - I use Wikipedia to look up video games because it often has more info on the game than what GameSpot gives.

I also like the fact that I can look up a game and eventually wind up of an article on the Easter Islands.

despa1r_fact0r

Haha, I have spent countless hours just clicking on the various links and gaining nonessential info.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DeadManRollin
Hehe another thing I usually do is checking the plot synopsis of a movie after watching it, just to make sure I understood the movie properly (a)
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#7 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts

It's fun exploring, however there are some points which exist which are not on the page... saying that, I'm almost stop using Wikipedia. It's only because I'm a uni student and some of the stuff I read has changed the way I thought about the world. So no WIKI for me

I love wikipedia. I like reading the discussion pages on articles like Masturbation and Penis Loads of fun arguing.Benny_is_here

I took a look at the page and discussion.. that's GRAPHIC!

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DeadManRollin

It's fun exploring, however there are some points which exist which are not on the page... saying that, I'm almost stop using Wikipedia. It's only because I'm a uni student and some of the stuff I read has changed the way I thought about the world. So no WIKI for me

[QUOTE="Benny_is_here"]I love wikipedia. I like reading the discussion pages on articles like Masturbation and Penis Loads of fun arguing.rikhan_z

Well yes, some of the information is not authentic at all. So I always try to double check information if it's something serious. But it's fun reading bios, origins of random stuff, e.g. Kraft dinner (lolz), Captain Commando, Bailyan, and so and so. 

I think wiki has been one of the most innovative ideas of our age. 

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 despa1r_fact0r
Many of the Instructors at college says don't use Wikipedia because it can be edited.....but I still use it because most of the content (and the stuff I use) is cited to another source so I use that for the bibliography
Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Benny_is_here

Hehe another thing I usually do is checking the plot synopsis of a movie after watching it, just to make sure I understood the movie properly (a)DeadManRollin

You will never understand this.

[QUOTE="Benny_is_here"]I love wikipedia. I like reading the discussion pages on articles like Masturbation and Penis Loads of fun arguing.rikhan_z

I love how the discussion page under Masturbation says

"This is not a forum for general discussion of your personal experiences or stories about Masturbation nor is it for links to sites with good Masturbation material. Any such messages will be deleted. Please limit discussion to improvement of this article."

kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 kevinjia32
Member since 2005 • 1278 Posts
I LOVE WIKIPEDIA. I jus twanted to say that.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#12 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts

[QUOTE="DeadManRollin"]Hehe another thing I usually do is checking the plot synopsis of a movie after watching it, just to make sure I understood the movie properly (a)Benny_is_here

You will never understand this.

I love how the discussion page under Masturbation says

"This is not a forum for general discussion of your personal experiences or stories about Masturbation nor is it for links to sites with good Masturbation material. Any such messages will be deleted. Please limit discussion to improvement of this article."

lol, some sicko's are actully willing enough to discuss personal experiences... it's a painful remainder that it's the internet, a place where predators can be viewing the same page. 

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 pai-may
Member since 2008 • 4101 Posts
I only use it infrequently, because most of what is written is not source based and as a historian I want to base my knowledge on some form of fact, no matter how tenuous. Chuck Norris site is good for the lols though.
kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kevinjia32

I only use it infrequently, because most of what is written is not source based and as a historian I want to base my knowledge on some form of fact, no matter how tenuous. Chuck Norris site is good for the lols though.pai-may

You know they did a study, and, actually, Wikipedia has less mistakes than Britannica, the biggest encyclopedia in the world.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pai-may

[QUOTE="pai-may"]I only use it infrequently, because most of what is written is not source based and as a historian I want to base my knowledge on some form of fact, no matter how tenuous. Chuck Norris site is good for the lols though.kevinjia32

You know they did a study, and, actually, Wikipedia has less mistakes than Britannica, the biggest encyclopedia in the world.

Well that does not surprise me. Wikipedia is getting better for sure, but as a genuine source of fact I personally have to be careful. My lecture staff frown upon its use, even though most of us glance at it from time to time, if only to get a start on something we can then do further research on. This is the sort of thing the internet was designed for. 

kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kevinjia32
[QUOTE="kevinjia32"]

[QUOTE="pai-may"]I only use it infrequently, because most of what is written is not source based and as a historian I want to base my knowledge on some form of fact, no matter how tenuous. Chuck Norris site is good for the lols though.pai-may

Well that does not surprise me. Wikipedia is getting better for sure, but as a genuine source of fact I personally have to be careful. My lecture staff frown upon its use, even though most of us glance at it from time to time, if only to get a start on something we can then do further research on. This is the sort of thing the internet was designed for. 

Well, hate it or not, Wikipedia is becoming an essential tool for everyday work. 

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pai-may
[QUOTE="pai-may"][QUOTE="kevinjia32"]

[QUOTE="pai-may"]I only use it infrequently, because most of what is written is not source based and as a historian I want to base my knowledge on some form of fact, no matter how tenuous. Chuck Norris site is good for the lols though.kevinjia32

Well, hate it or not, Wikipedia is becoming an essential tool for everyday work. 

Or a tool you use everyday, while you should be doing some work ;)

kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kevinjia32
Well, here in Toronto, the TDSB (toronto district School Board) has officially labelled Wiki a safe resource.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pai-may

Well, here in Toronto, the TDSB (toronto district School Board) has officially labelled Wiki a safe resource. kevinjia32

Cool. Are you a teacher or a student. I mean there is a difference in the sort of thing you can get away with saying at school academically speaking and the sort of thing you may end up having published after college/ university. Most academics are still old and stuffy and no doubt frown on the use of wikipedia at least publically. Inwardly they are all using it at home!

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 despa1r_fact0r

Well, here in Toronto, the TDSB (toronto district School Board) has officially labelled Wiki a safe resource. kevinjia32

Like I said in a earlier post many of the Instructors at my college says don't use Wikipedia because it can be edited by users, but I still use it because most of the content is cited to another source

kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kevinjia32

[QUOTE="kevinjia32"]Well, here in Toronto, the TDSB (toronto district School Board) has officially labelled Wiki a safe resource. despa1r_fact0r

Like I said in a earlier post many of the Instructors at my college says don't use Wikipedia because it can be edited by users, but I still use it because most of the content is cited to another source

The editting things is very little...I don't see too much editted content. And I'm 14, so, I guess I'm a student. 

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pai-may
[QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"]

[QUOTE="kevinjia32"]Well, here in Toronto, the TDSB (toronto district School Board) has officially labelled Wiki a safe resource. kevinjia32

The editting things is very little...I don't see too much editted content. And I'm 14, so, I guess I'm a student. 

I guess what I would be concerned about is if there is no way of knowing if a wiki page has been edited or hack maliciously and the changes were subtle enough to be believable...

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Benny_is_here
One concern with Wikipedia is when it's in another language than English. I always use the English Wikipedia, but my classmates often use the Norwegian one, which simply doesn't have the same standard. There's rarely sources at all. A lot of teachers in my school are against solely using Wikipedia, and even though I would disagree with the English Wikipedia, I can see where they're coming from with the Norwegian one. There are after all only 4.7 million people in Norway, so the numbers of Wikipedia users moderating each other is very small, and often the articles are obviously taken from school projects the user has previously written or just a translated summary of the English article without footnotes.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DeadManRollin
Thanks guys, that was some lively discussion on one of the most beloved websites of our time. This was an experimental thread, and I am glad to see it gave us some great off-topic time. Now we will move on to this month's off-topic.
kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kevinjia32
[QUOTE="kevinjia32"][QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"]

[QUOTE="kevinjia32"]Well, here in Toronto, the TDSB (toronto district School Board) has officially labelled Wiki a safe resource. pai-may

I guess what I would be concerned about is if there is no way of knowing if a wiki page has been edited or hack maliciously and the changes were subtle enough to be believable...

Go to wikipedia.org, scroll all the way down to the bottom. It will say when it was the last time editted.
kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kevinjia32

Thanks guys, that was some lively discussion on one of the most beloved websites of our time. This was an experimental thread, and I am glad to see it gave us some great off-topic time. Now we will move on to this month's off-topic. DeadManRollin

Sure DMR. BTW did you get my report?Â