thore33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 thore33
Member since 2003 • 208 Posts

I'm sure it'll get more talk as it gets closer, but I wanted to hear people's thoughts about the new Empire: Total War coming out in February 2009. One of the many features is the addition of real-time Naval battles. I think I am particularly excited about that. I think the Total War series has a perfect blend of RTS and strategy that really is unmatched by any other game out there. Anyways, what are your thoughts?

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#2 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts
Nice graphics from that screen in your post
GoldFalcon25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 GoldFalcon25
Member since 2005 • 57 Posts

I would really love to see an online multiplayer mode of the "Campaign." Although, to be realistic, that may take a very long time. However, LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth 2 allows you and another human to play on the turn based map of Middle Earth. Each player makes their moves at the same time and then once each has ended his/her turn, then the next turn commences. Any battling is done by auto-resolve, unless both human players are in one battle. Only then can the battle be decided in-game.

But so far, Empire: Total War looks very good. I only hope it will turn out as great as Medieval 2!

thore33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thore33

Gamespot has put up a new preview for Empire Total War today... click here to view.

One of the interesting things they mentioned is that they're adding resources like "villages" or "mills" on the actual campaign map to be destroyed or blockaded. I think this is a great addition, similar to how Civilization treats its resources. This forces you to actually take your troops out of the Castle or town once in a while. In the previous versions there really was no reason to leave your castle unless you wanted to actually attack someone.

They also acknowledge the DESIRE to have a multiplayer campaign, but don't go so far as to say whether they've included that or not.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#5 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts
The game is shaping up nicely... it nice to see the basics in the game as well as each nation having their specialized units.
KillOBKilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 KillOBKilled
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts
I don't think I've ever been dissapointed with a Total War game. However, to be honest, naval combat has never been my thing, it was certainly missing from the previous games though, so I think I'll enjoy this one as well.
thore33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thore33

Yeah, i have been the same way with the naval combat. I semi-liked Sid Meier's Pirates. But, ultimately, naval combat was boring. I think the emphasis on massive naval battles will make it more interesting. Coupled with the fact that they are enabling special targetting of things like the engines or captain's room, etc. I think that adds a element of complexity to make it more interesting.

I give them credit, though. They've done a great job of innovating their game EVERY time they've had a new one. So, I have hope.

reno7728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 reno7728
Member since 2007 • 258 Posts

Quick news update for those interested:

Empire total war will have a multiplayer campaign mode, which is the main reason for the game's 1 onth delay inot march 09

http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/12/12/empire-total-war-to-add-multiplayer-campaign-mode-after-release/

Also Creative assembly have announced a new game mode called 'road to independence' where you take control of american colonists, during the events of the war for independance

IGN hands on with 'road to independance http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/939/939779p1.html

New trailer from gametrailers http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43830.html 

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 pai-may
Member since 2008 • 4101 Posts
I'd love a pc good enough to touch this game. I have all the original games up to and including Rome total war for the pc and they are the business, especially the viking expansion to the original medieval game, which was just wicked.