[GOTY Award 4] Biggest Game Changing Decision

This topic is locked from further discussion.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Hello one and all

This thread is for the naming of your game where you feel decisions had the biggest impact. Think about the one memorable moment from 2009 (and 2009 release games only) where what you did had the bigest impact on your experience with said game.

For example, last year I would have put:

Fallout 3 spoiler

[spoiler] When deciding whether to blow up Megaton or not would have been huge as it made me open my eyes to how you play the game. I decided not to blow the town up but then came the events after, helping the sherif, the sherif being killed and me taking out his assassin. The events were all circumstancial and could easily have gone in different ways and thats what made me fall in love with that game. [/spoiler]

Please use the spoiler boxes if you wish to discuss the game for example:

My vote is for Fable II

[spoiler*]I picked this when deciding blah blah blah[/spoiler*]

Take the stars out and you have a spoiler box.

Do not post spoilers without warning, anybody who does so will have their post deleted and will not have their vote counted in the nomination.

kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 kevinjia32
Member since 2005 • 1278 Posts

Hmm, I really can't think of one...

I'll have to get back to you on that 1.

SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 SymonDezyn
Member since 2006 • 4927 Posts
This year... it would have to be DAO - even the littlest conversations count :P
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 garfield360uk
You can describe more on Dragon Age Origins Symon if you want, as long as its in the spoiler box its fine (its only when people blatently discuss it out in the open without warning do I have an issue).
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4415 Posts

Yeah, I also recommend Dragon Age: Origins.

[spoiler] if you don't kill Loghain after the landsmeet, you can turn him in to a grey warden and then he becomes a secret companion [/spoiler]

kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kevinjia32
I haven't played DAO so I wouldn't really know.
Ahmed_KH_AKEEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Ahmed_KH_AKEEM
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

i think i will choose Dragon Age Origins.

[spoiler] i say choosing which mission you begin with was the biggest decision ,it may seem not important as u can finish the game in any sequence but choosing the mission u begin with first does affect the gameplay a little bit an example if you begin with circle of magi u can make wayne join your party which is great because it is great healer [/spoiler]

kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kevinjia32

Sup Ahmed, I don't think we've met before.

Welcome to DBGU. I'd love to debate with you on your topic but I haven't played DAO.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 garfield360uk

Fallout 3 Broken Steel (its 2009 DLC)

[spoiler] Just deciding to help the Brotherhood of Steel to destroy the base where the opposing forces are. It has many memorable moments like a trash talking giant robot, a rocket launcher which takes out helicopters in one go, and more. [/spoiler]

I am just lacking ideas for this so far as I have not really had many decision based games from 2009 specifically.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I nominate Dragon Age for this reason:

[spoiler] The decision you have to make in the Lair of the Werewolves after meeting the Lady of the Forest: whether to help the werewolves or kill them all. [/spoiler]

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 garfield360uk

This is a hard one to call as none of us have really made a point as to why the game should be picked, its all story based which is good, but nothing is explained so I dont know how much of an impact these decisions made like who joins your party or whether you kill a certain person or not.

Would opening this up for those who put their request to put more thought into the responses be fair DMR?

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

This is a hard one to call as none of us have really made a point as to why the game should be picked, its all story based which is good, but nothing is explained so I dont know how much of an impact these decisions made like who joins your party or whether you kill a certain person or not.

Would opening this up for those who put their request to put more thought into the responses be fair DMR?

Garfield360UK

To further explain my post:

[spoiler] You usually have a choice to make concerning who will wind up aiding you against the Archdemon and the darkspawn horde. When a particular Main Quest section is completed, you then have a representative for the group that will help you standing in your Party Camp. All told there are four representatives, whom you may converse with, and provide what they may need to improve their performance at the end Boss Fight. [/spoiler]

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DeadManRollin
Yes, fair enough, Garfield. Eagerly awaiting the verdict :)
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 garfield360uk
Cool. I am looking for people to give me reason why they feel the decision impacted the game the most, it needs to be significant if I am to award said game the award.
Faller88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Faller88
Member since 2006 • 7277 Posts
I nominate Ultimate Alliance II. Choosing your side about an hour in basically decides The Story for the rest of the game. (Iron Man(Government.) or Captain America''''s group (Rebels.).)
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 garfield360uk
Sorry I am only accepting nominations put in before the close date. I have extended the time to those who posted before then due to anwers needing working on.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 garfield360uk

I am going to say Dragon Age wins this then. Its really due to what I have heard elsewhere as people have not gone into enough detail to explain it. The story was what I was looking for, key things that affected that and really I have only heard stat changes which is not something I would say is the bigest decision.

Lets hope Heavy Rain and other games can really set this discussion alight next year. Thats what we needed more of as a person evaluting this, nobody really discussed anything to great depth.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pai-may
Member since 2008 • 4101 Posts
Garfield Grumpus lol. I look forward to many game altering moments in 2010, especially around Mass Effect 2. The first game had a monumental game altering decision to make 3/4 of the way in and left me shocked as to the ease with which I made the choice lol.
SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SymonDezyn
LOL me too Pai, and i made the same one all four times i played it :lol:
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 garfield360uk
Hm well as I say, more debate was needed. To me there was "oh it changes the end of the game battle a bit". I wanted more than that for a big change and if that was big explain to me why it was, that was all I ask for.
SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SymonDezyn
no, i agree with you, Garfield - the decisions in ME were not "game changing" as in they affected everything that happened from that moment on.... DAO definitely fits the bill better, as your major decisions can seriously impact the rest of the game, make you lose or keep party members, make enemies or make allies, etc.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 garfield360uk
Oh no I wasnt saying that, I just ment the posts regarding who should win this thread were lacklusture in some ways as I didnt get any feel for why it should win. I wanted debate and to feel the need to feel this was awarded correctly as I dont have any knowledge of the game and this was the chance for people to share that.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pai-may
Member since 2008 • 4101 Posts
Mass Effect was not this year anyway. Symon, just curious but did you choose the man or the woman to be saved?
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DeadManRollin
I wanted to give a detailed explanation for my nomination, but for some reason, I couldn't end up doing so. However, all is not lost! I intend to write it down sometime.