Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

User Lists: 0

#1 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts

Fighting Street?

Oh yes, the original Street Fighter of course. Wondering why you haven't played it? 

Well... It hasn't exactly stood the test of time like it's much loved sequel. Essentially in this game, you play as Ryu (or Ken if you're player 2) touring the globe to become "the greatest fighter in the world". Such badies you face include Ninjas, Punks and a few faintly familar faces now better known from the Street Fighter Alpha series (e.g. Birdie).

If you really wish to re-visit this territory, you might be glad to it was re-released in the Capcom Cla$sics Collection Vol. 2 on Playstation 2. As for the other versions, they're all better off ignoring.

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts
Didn't know this game was ported to the PS2/Xbox - I'm going to have to keep an open eye on the Capcom Classics v2 next time I'm in the game store.
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 loopy_101

Didn't know this game was ported to the PS2/Xbox - I'm going to have to keep an open eye on the Capcom Classics v2 next time I'm in the game store.despa1r_fact0r

The Capcom Clas$ic games are great, there are some quality arcade games on the first one, I'm not too sure about the second one though.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 pai-may
Member since 2008 • 4101 Posts
It's a terrible game, really, and has not stood up to age at all. Even the very first SF2 is still playable today, unlike this. I had it on the Spectrum 48k+ many, many, years ago.
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 loopy_101

It's a terrible game, really, and has not stood up to age at all. Even the very first SF2 is still playable today, unlike this. I had it on the Spectrum 48k+ many, many, years ago.pai-may

I have it for Zx Spectrum also. I thought it wasn't a bad port but clearly the game was a little too much for my +2.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#6 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts

The 80s had a thing about developing fighting games, as they were more simulation based until SF2 entered the scene.

At least this game was alot better then Street Smart

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 loopy_101

The 80s had a thing about developing fighting games, as they were more simulation based until SF2 entered the scene.

At least this game was alot better then Street Smart

rikhan_z

And Pit Fighter, don't forget that awful game.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pai-may
Street Smart was ok. It was better on the megadrive than arcade. The spectrum version of Street Fighter was next to impossible because you had to guess what was going on with the ninja who could dissapear (and did all the time) and loading between each fight was a nightmare. Saggat was tough also.
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 loopy_101

Street Smart was ok. It was better on the megadrive than arcade. The spectrum version of Street Fighter was next to impossible because you had to guess what was going on with the ninja who could dissapear (and did all the time) and loading between each fight was a nightmare. Saggat was tough also.pai-may

I never found the loading that bad, I was running the 128K version I believe however, that normally rids the games of a lot of the load times.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4416 Posts

SF1 was the only SF game where you could finish an opponent with 3 hadokens....

It was an average game when it came out. Too tricky and the moves were mostly non-responsive and the gameplay as a whole was sluggish and uninterresting. But it's worth a play only to appreciate the gigantic evolution from SF1 to SF2...sequels should be like that!

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 loopy_101

It was an average game when it came out. Too tricky and the moves were mostly non-responsive and the gameplay as a whole was sluggish and uninterresting. But it's worth a play only to appreciate the gigantic evolution from SF1 to SF2...sequels should be like that!

DeadManRollin

Thats true, not to forget that it is partly the reason we saw Final Fight in the arcades afterwards

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pai-may
[QUOTE="DeadManRollin"]

loopy_101

Thats true, not to forget that it is partly the reason we saw Final Fight in the arcades afterwards

Care to say more on this?

Oh and Pitfighter was mentioned earlier. Last night we were playing arcade classics onps2 and pitfighter had us in stitches. Two frames of animation at best per fighter. Oh and a boss that is far too hard. New record - boss killed in four continues. I'd have felt so ripped off if I'd spent money in the arcade on this game.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DeadManRollin
I remember the pit fighter name...was it the game where you could fight against dinosaurs using dinosaurs? :|
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loopy_101
[QUOTE="loopy_101"][QUOTE="DeadManRollin"]

pai-may

Care to say more on this?

Oh and Pitfighter was mentioned earlier. Last night we were playing arcade classics onps2 and pitfighter had us in stitches. Two frames of animation at best per fighter. Oh and a boss that is far too hard. New record - boss killed in four continues. I'd have felt so ripped off if I'd spent money in the arcade on this game.

Final Fight was originally developed to be the sequel to the original Street Fighter. It was going to be called Street Fighter 89'

http://www.capcom-unity.com/redvirtue/blog/2008/08/08/a_look_at_what_was_street_fighter_89

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rikhan_z

'Cody, Guy, Rolento, Sodom and Maki make playable apperances in different chapters of Street Fighter Alpha'

That's explains alot, Capcom made a brave move to recall it Final Fight

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pai-may

Never knew that. Thanks loopy.

@DMR, no that's not pitfighter you may be thinging of cadillacs and dinosaurs or even a game where you control dinosaurs as gods and they fight each other - can't remember its name, just that there was an ape in it with a ridiculously long reach.

Oh, maybe Primal Rage???

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DeadManRollin

@Pai May

Oh yes, that'd be Primal Rage. I know cadillacs and dinosaurs very well, that was one of our arcade favorites. I just wikied Pit Fighter. Strangely enough, I never played the game. MK was the first digitized game I played.

@Rikhan_z

yeah it was a pleasant surprise to see a flurry of Final Fight characters in SFA. I really liked playing with guy and rolento, and I am glad they didn't include Haggar. 

By the way, I heard there's an unlockable Haggar skin for Zangief in SF IV. I think I've seen a screenshot, too. 

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pai-may

@Pai May

Oh yes, that'd be Primal Rage. I know cadillacs and dinosaurs very well, that was one of our arcade favorites. I just wikied Pit Fighter. Strangely enough, I never played the game. MK was the first digitized game I played.

@Rikhan_z

yeah it was a pleasant surprise to see a flurry of Final Fight characters in SFA. I really liked playing with guy and rolento, and I am glad they didn't include Haggar. 

By the way, I heard there's an unlockable Haggar skin for Zangief in SF IV. I think I've seen a screenshot, too. 

DeadManRollin

Hmm, hagger would just have been Zangief anyway. I think the best FF character for the SF games is probably Sodom, although he got powered down a little towards the end of the Alpha series.

Who did people have most difficulty with in Fighting Street though - for me it was dodging the endless supply of fireballs that Sagat threw at you.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loopy_101

'Cody, Guy, Rolento, Sodom and Maki make playable apperances in different chapters of Street Fighter Alpha'

That's explains alot, Capcom made a brave move to recall it Final Fight

rikhan_z
I think it was bound to be a success despite the name as Capcom were already a recognised giant at the arcades by the late 80s. We had already seen Ghosts N' Goblins, Gun Smoke, Strider and Bionic Commando from them after all.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DeadManRollin
[QUOTE="DeadManRollin"]

@Pai May

@Rikhan_z

pai-may

Hmm, hagger would just have been Zangief anyway. I think the best FF character for the SF games is probably Sodom, although he got powered down a little towards the end of the Alpha series.

Who did people have most difficulty with in Fighting Street though - for me it was dodging the endless supply of fireballs that Sagat threw at you.

Many of the characters were really tough and cheap. Birdie could kill you off with three hits, and Eagle was tough too. I would mostly get beaten up by Adone. I hardly ever made it up to Sagat....the arcade sticks were stiff, and fireballs were hard to come. The hurricane kick of Ryu sucked badly....useless, to be honest, as it didn't travel at all. Shoryuken wasn't that great either. 

In a particular arcade, there were two machines. One had Final Fight and the other had SF1. The SF1 machine was empty most of the time while the FF one was always occupied. After a month or so, the owner brought in SF2, and rest is history. 

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rikhan_z
[QUOTE="DeadManRollin"]

@Pai May

@Rikhan_z

pai-may

I agree, it would of been alot difficult if they tried to include Hagger into the cast and yeh he would of been Zanigaf... I think that why they created R.Mika, it has a totally different look which went well with the Alpha series. 

However if they did create Hagger in the later games, they would have sported him with a different personality... like a Mayor's suit with some more street fighter fighting style, along with a few moves from Zanigef. 

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 loopy_101
[QUOTE="pai-may"][QUOTE="DeadManRollin"]

@Pai May

@Rikhan_z

rikhan_z

I agree, it would of been alot difficult if they tried to include Hagger into the cast and yeh he would of been Zanigaf... I think that why they created R.Mika, it has a totally different look which went well with the Alpha series. 

However if they did create Hagger in the later games, they would have sported him with a different personality... like a Mayor's suit with some more street fighter fighting style, along with a few moves from Zanigef. 

I think Hagger was supposed to be added into one of the Capcom Fighting Jam games of some sort. Don't put your hopes up though, because not only was it canned but the game was in 3D.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DeadManRollin
Haggar was in a wrestling game by Capcom...saturday night slam masters. A crappy wrestling game. I wonder why they did not include R. Mika in SF IV. Instead they created another wrestling character, El Fuerte.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pai-may
Because Mika is a cheap and really annoying character and pretty much has nothing to do with SF2 series (being an alpha character) etc. All the current SFIV characters are either new or were in the SF2 series at some point.
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 loopy_101

Because Mika is a cheap and really annoying character and pretty much has nothing to do with SF2 series (being an alpha character) etc. All the current SFIV characters are either new or were in the SF2 series at some point.pai-may

I don't remember Dan or Sakura being Street Fighter 2 characters. 

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DeadManRollin

[QUOTE="pai-may"]Because Mika is a cheap and really annoying character and pretty much has nothing to do with SF2 series (being an alpha character) etc. All the current SFIV characters are either new or were in the SF2 series at some point.loopy_101

Yeah, Dan and Sakura don't belong to the SF2 cast, but they have direct links with some of the characters, i.e. Dan's father was killed by Sagat. That guy was responsible for Sagat's eye loss. I think Capcom initially wanted to establish Sakura as a character similar to Asuka in tekken, but later on they just discarded the idea and made her a rival. 

I never liked Dan much, but he's fun to play...he's a lot better than the other shotokan that was introduced in SF III, i.e. Sean. 

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pai-may

[QUOTE="pai-may"]Because Mika is a cheap and really annoying character and pretty much has nothing to do with SF2 series (being an alpha character) etc. All the current SFIV characters are either new or were in the SF2 series at some point.loopy_101

Well done for spotting the flaw in my argument. However, Dan and Sakura are not only more popular as characters than even some of the original cast (especially schoolgirl fantasy Sakura, but both are actually playable and not some lame attempt at mimicry. I hate cute and colourful japanese girly type characters and in fighting games I especially hate unbalanced and cheap characters, which Mika was. Dan and Sakura are not.

If you've ever read the sakura comic by Udon studios, you will know how Zangief feels when he has to fight these girls.