Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2

Dungeon Keeper is a PC strategy game released by Bullfrog Productions in July 1997. The game puts the player into the role of the "dungeon keeper": instead of valiantly storming a dungeon like a hero, killing monsters, and taking the treasures, the player builds the dungeons, recruits the monsters, sets the traps, and fends off the (computer-controlled) heroes that regularly attempt to breach the dungeon, as well as other dungeon keepers.

The game interface is reminiscent of normal real-time strategy (RTS) games: the player uses a mouse, represented in-game as a hand, to interact with a bar on the left-hand side of the screen, allowing him to select which rooms to build and which spells to cast. Rather uniquely, the player can use the hand to pick up creatures and objects in the dungeon and carry them around, allowing for tactics such as gathering an assault force and dropping off the creatures in the middle of melee combat.

The hand also allows the player to "slap" objects and thereby interact with them: creatures will hurry up when slapped, chickens in a Hatchery will "splat," and some traps will be triggered. Prisoners in the Torture Chamber can thus be treated with a hands-on approach.

The main game view is in isometric perspective, however, this view can be zoomed and rotated. The player also has the option of possessing one of his creatures, and seeing the dungeon from that creature's first-person perspective, as well as use their attacks and abilities.

Dungeon Keeper 2 is a sequel released in June 1999. DK2 also used full-3D models for the creatures and enemies, rather than sprites.Several rooms, spells, and monsters were changed, added or removed, as were many game mechanics. For example, if a creature is dropped into the middle of a melee, it is stunned and vulnerable for a few seconds before getting up to fight. One major feature of the game is its "My Pet Dungeon" mode, which features sandbox-****play where players have a nearly unlimited amount of time to construct a dungeon uninterrupted. Heroes would only invade the dungeon if the player chooses to allow it.

Dungeon Keeper 2 included a short trailer for its sequel, Dungeon Keeper 3. The video showed the Horned Reaper, leader of the player faction, reaching the surface world - the home of the goodly heroes that the player had been fighting in the previous two games.

Dungeon Keeper 3 Development of the sequel began in November 1999 and was cancelled in March 2000.

-

SCREENS

Dungeon Keeper

Dungeon Keeper 2

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Sounds interesting as a game, I havent tried this.

Thanks for making this thread.

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 despa1r_fact0r

Sounds interesting as a game, I havent tried this.

Thanks for making this thread.

Garfield360UK

No Problem --- Both of them are great games and worth a try out. I prefer Dungeon Keeper 2 over the the first one.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#4 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts
I have to play Dungeon Keeper 1... I played the demo and that game in my opinion is a cla$$ic. The games execution was great and I think how you manage and build your units was interesting, as you gather up gold and build a training area to train you're units. The portal was awesome.
Faller88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Faller88
Member since 2006 • 7277 Posts
I havent played Dungeon Keeper, but I Greatly enjoyed its ""Spiritual Successor"" OverLord.Perhaps One day when I'm out of current games I can give it a try.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rikhan_z

The first person view in Dungeon Keeper 1 looks alittle ugly, however that's DOS for you... DOS was ugly as hell... thank god for 640-480 res games. However Dungeon Keeper isometic view looks really nice.

Crush_Project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#7 Crush_Project
Member since 2005 • 606 Posts
these old games where the ****. A perfect example of one of those 'they dont make em like they used to' titles.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rikhan_z

Bullfrog got bought out by EA... EA lack of making games during that time give thx to dumbing down those games.

I think they do this to get a wider marketing on auidences.

Cathad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Cathad
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Great game...fun and hard...it would have been nice for a new episode of DK...but if u haven't played it ...I suggest u do...and I guaranty satisfaction....
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rikhan_z
Here news of a MMORPG of Dungeon Keeper.. EA has already signned deal to produce it.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 despa1r_fact0r

Here news of a MMORPG of Dungeon Keeper.. EA has already signned deal to produce it.rikhan_z

Marcus Beer from Gametrailer's show Invisible Walls (he mentions it at 23:23) has said that the game will be exclusive to Asia - Also IGN said it'comming to Asia and there is no metion of EU or NA.

Thats sad because I would love to play a DKMMO. I hope it does well so that it might make ot out of Asia.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rikhan_z
I took a long look at the video.. seriously thou, the commentry is right now... what the hell,.. Asia? I understand that Asia is hot on MMORPG's... however this? seriously does bother me in a way.
Zeromus1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Zeromus1337
Member since 2008 • 15955 Posts
Only Asia? Bummer for fans of the series. I really dislike when developers (Or the Publishers) happen to do this.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Only Asia? Bummer for fans of the series. I really dislike when developers (Or the Publishers) happen to do this.Zeromus1337

Hint hint, Shenmue MMO :(

I wander what happened to that as it was going to be Asia release only but nothing seems to have been heard on it for years. I really want Shenmue 3.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rikhan_z

[QUOTE="Zeromus1337"]Only Asia? Bummer for fans of the series. I really dislike when developers (Or the Publishers) happen to do this.Garfield360UK

Hint hint, Shenmue MMO :(

I wander what happened to that as it was going to be Asia release only but nothing seems to have been heard on it for years. I really want Shenmue 3.

Yu Suzuki is getting on my nerves alittle bit... sounds like Duke Nukem Forever

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rikhan_z

Only Asia? Bummer for fans of the series. I really dislike when developers (Or the Publishers) happen to do this.Zeromus1337

I think the fans are only in America and Europe.

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 despa1r_fact0r

[QUOTE="Zeromus1337"]Only Asia? Bummer for fans of the series. I really dislike when developers (Or the Publishers) happen to do this.rikhan_z

Thats what I thought, but I hope it does well so EA might bring it to EU and NA.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rikhan_z
[QUOTE="rikhan_z"]

[QUOTE="Zeromus1337"]Only Asia? Bummer for fans of the series. I really dislike when developers (Or the Publishers) happen to do this.despa1r_fact0r

Thats what I thought, but I hope it does well so EA might bring it to EU and NA.

I think Neowiz Games (S4 League) always team up with EA games to make MMO games.... I think they are making Dungeon Keeper.. however that just a guess.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rikhan_z
I might have to add that at least they left fallout to the west... if that was in asia and asia only, I would be having a crisis.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rikhan_z
I've installed Windows 98 on one of my old computers and have installed Dungeon Keeper and the mission park Deepers Dungeon... I'm really looking forward to play it some time.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 despa1r_fact0r

I've installed Windows 98 on one of my old computers and have installed Dungeon Keeper and the mission park Deepers Dungeon... I'm really looking forward to play it some time.rikhan_z

I did the same thing a few months ago, I love that game - I need to rebuy Dungeon Keeper 2 too