alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 alx222000
Member since 2005 • 6180 Posts
One of the things this union can do someday is create a movie.
This will take a few people with knowledge, skill, creativity and the patience to complete the task.

This thread is for ideas.

There are several ways we could make a movie:
Simple animation: write a script, get somebody who can draw it and few people to provide the voices.
Machinima: take footage from a video game and add voices.
Fan dub: take a movie and replace the foreign language vocals with english vocals.

I won't go into the technical details (which I don't know anyway).

I think that if we do make something, we should start with a simple animated welcome video for the union, include all the officers and make it interesting somehow.
Animefreak58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Animefreak58
Member since 2005 • 271 Posts
I thought this idea sounded interesting from the beginning, I'd love for this to happen. Sadly though, I can't draw and don't have a mic, but I can pick up a decent mic if someone can take care of the animation. Before anyone starts on the script we should decide what kind it should be. If it's a movie for the new members should we make it semi-funny to symbolize fun? Or would they then not take us seriously and spam up the boards? We could also make a movie just for fun and take regular movie with very vague visuals and add our voices along with our deticated recruits to make it funny.
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alx222000
Consider what we've been posting so far. Do you think people would take us seriously?
We need more serious topics, but for now it's good to have threads that we can post in regularly.
A welcome movie should try to walk the line between serious and silly, to show that the union is a fun place to be, while also showing what we can achieve by working together. Just making the movie would probably impress people.
Maybe it could be an advert as well, but then people probably wouldn't bother to download it.
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 skine99
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts
i should get a mic. not cause of this i just wanted one for a while.
LordAbyssion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 LordAbyssion
Member since 2005 • 11247 Posts

oh, I made three short movies/animations a year ago... two really simple and one quite good

the first one was kinda crappy... it was about this star wars guy showing off his lightsabre skills. then he split himself in two and began to fight himself and finally kills himself... it had no voice acting and no background music... made with paint and microsoft movie maker.. length ~30sek

the second one was a bit better... it was about a guy who walks on the street and gets ambushed by this gang who tries to beat him up, but he beats up the gang instead... the voice acting was crap, but the background music was great... made with paint, gimp and microsoft movie maker.. length ~45sek +credits

my latest animation was quite good.. it was about two lego bionicle guys who fought on the top of a mountain... the movie was not drawn.. I made the mountain and characters myself, with the help of a friend of mine, and then I took like 500 pictures and put them together.. then I edited it with corell.. the movie was quite good, but the voice acting and background music sucked.. length ~1min 40sek +credits

I don't know if I've got the first two left, but the latest should be somewhere on my last computer..

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 alx222000
Well, if you can find any of them, see if you can put them up.
It would be interesting to see. And since you must have put a fair bit of effort into making them, it would be good if people saw them and gave you a bit of credit.
nightclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 nightclaw
Member since 2005 • 3049 Posts
and now we can upload them onto Gamespot for all to see!
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alx222000
Only paying subscribers can upload videos. And I don't know if there is a limit.
So unless we convince a subscriber to upload them, we'll have to find another way, like google videos or BitTorrent.
LordAbyssion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LordAbyssion

Only paying subscribers can upload videos. And I don't know if there is a limit.
So unless we convince a subscriber to upload them, we'll have to find another way, like google videos or BitTorrent.
alx222000

WRONG!!

any member can now upload videos as long as he/she is over level 10... at least that's what I've heard..

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alx222000
I just found that out.
I'm surprised, I would have thought that extra webspace would have cost money.
Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chet_Jones
Member since 2004 • 1369 Posts
Hey I just checked out what LordAbyssion was saying and he's correct. They must have done this recently because the last time I checked was right before we started this union (it hasn't even been a week) and then when I tried I got a big fat you must a "Total-Access Subscriber," screen along with some links telling me how I can pay for slightly more features. No thanks. Anyway GS is either growing more generous with us basic members or we finally have a glitch that is working in our favor, either way more power to us. I'm not sure about the level limit, the faq didn't mention anything about that, in fact the faq didn't mention much of anything beyond that they didn't want anyone to promote hatred or slander towards any person or group, no demonstrations of illegal activity, and no copyrighted materiel belonging to someone else. There may be a level limit with uploading videos, I don't know, GS doesn't really tell us about these things until we actually try and then fail. You have to be a certain level to start a board topic, you have to be a certain level to upload an image in a forum post. So maybe level ten being the limit is accurate, worst case scenario if anyone in this union can't upload their video to this site due to level restraint, PM me, and I'll upload it for them, I'm currently at level 17, so I can't imagine many constraints placed on me besides the ones that are incurred because I don't pay for anything at this site. I do reserve the right to refuse uploading videos if I feel like I'll get in trouble for doing so, so please just stick to the rules. The faq mentioned nothing about the size of the video, format, or even how many we may upload. I'll play around with it and see.
nightclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nightclaw
it's not a glitch, and don't worry, level 10 and over can upload.  So we're ok
Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chet_Jones
Yeah, I just saw the message on the main forum page. I guess I hadn't noticed, most of the time I spend on this site for the past week has been in this union. New unions need a lot of love if they're going to stay on their feet.
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skine99
!!!!!!!!!!! Am I a zombie rising something from the land of dead topics? I don't think so. With me getting flash soon this could all be possible.....yes But we'd have to wait a little longer after I get flash because I would need practice.
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 alx222000
What we really need is someone who can draw, or a group of people who can play a game together to make a machinima.

Can you host Flash movies on GameSpot?

Oh, and I do have an idea for a show......
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skine99
What we really need is someone who can draw, or a group of people who can play a game together to make a machinima.

Can you host Flash movies on GameSpot?

Oh, and I do have an idea for a show......
alx222000
I could probably host it on my website and gve a link I dont know exactly Im directing the question to........... Chet who else.
Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chet_Jones
Ok, I'm pretty sure this is how you do it. It's a lot easier than it sounds. First off,
upload the movie to Photo Bucket.

Next, open up Notepad, copy and paste the following code into it. Be sure to keep this
post open, for guidance. Clear out the the red text and fill in the relevant
information, you're going to have to play around with size. Then save it as an .html
document. It's easy enough, go to:
File then
Save As
Clear out the box and put in "name of you document".html
And be sure to select the "all file types" option just below where you typed the stuff
above. It's set to .txt by default. Remember where you sent the document to, I always
send current projects to my desktop for easy access.

Next upload your newly made HTML document to your web hosting service of choice, and
then link to it from your main page. As an aside, here's a great site for teaching you
HTML encoding and general web page building. As always, if you need any help, just ask.

Here's your code, just copy and paste:

<html>
<head><title>What you're going to call it</title></head>
<body>
<font face="verdana,arial">
<center>
<h1>What you're going to call it:</h1>
<table border="1">
<td><embed src="http://www.url-of-your-movie.swf"
height="Insert Number" width="Insert Number"></embed></td>
</table>
<br><br><br><br><br><br>

skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skine99

For once I understand what Chet is trying to say!

YAY!!!!!!!!!

skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skine99
Actually I think that would work for RPGMaker also
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 alx222000
[QUOTE="Chet_Jones"]First off, upload the movie to Photo Bucket.

Photo bucket says that if you upload a .swf file over 1 mb it will be automaticaly resized.
I get the feeling it won't be much help to upload it there.

Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chet_Jones
.swf flies are inherently small, the idea behind them is that they're supposed to be internet friendly... but I understand where you're going with it, and to be fair there probably (definitely) is a better way to upload Flash movies; really that little bit of code I put up there is pretty much a stab in the dark. I'll poke around and see if I can't come up with something better. Like I said before: my experience with Flash is almost nonexistant, so if anyone has any better ideas I'm open for suggestions.
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skine99
the one time I understand whats going on he could be wrong........:(
Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chet_Jones
Well, not so much wrong as untested. For some reason I was think that Photobucket let you upload .swf files as videos and the only real limit you had was that the videos couldn't be more than five minutes long, which is as long as I'd ever want a Flash cartoon to be, my method will work, just not as well as I had hoped. I think I have found a better way: sign up for a youtube account. I've seen lots of people do it, works with Flash movies as well.
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skine99

SPAM!?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nightclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nightclaw
Well, not so much wrong as untested. For some reason I was think that Photobucket let you upload .swf files as videos and the only real limit you had was that the videos couldn't be more than five minutes long, which is as long as I'd ever want a Flash cartoon to be, my method will work, just not as well as I had hoped. I think I have found a better way: sign up for a youtube account. I've seen lots of people do it, works with Flash movies as well.Chet_Jones
Yeah, I have a youtube accout. look for pinoybaritone
dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dgwutka
Member since 2004 • 15331 Posts
im getting a graphics tablet for Christmas, so i should be able to do something. ive done gif animations before, but its kind hard using a mouse. and i did that video with the two kids fighting in the field and they get chased by the bandit, etc, (look in my videos tab) so i know how to make movies too, once i have the pictures.
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 alx222000

A graphics tablet would let you draw, so are you suggesting you do enough drawings to make a short movie? Could be a fair amount of work.

EDIT: *Suddenly has strange idea about making sprite-rip movie/comic about members of the Guild mysteriously turning into characters from Chrono Trigger. And if I'm not the red-haired one, then I get really angry*

dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dgwutka

sorry if im wrong, but isnt the red-haired one chrono?

what about a short movie about the guild members, but everyone is their avatar. sithy is a butterfly (an emo one, of course), i'm fierce deity link, skine is hobbes, you're chrono (i dont know who your current avatar is) etc.

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 alx222000

Yeah, the red-haired one is Chrono.

What do you mean? No animation, just the avatars showing up? Wouldn't that be just as good in still form?

My current avi is a guy I ripped from the trailer to "Orphen", not sure what his name is.

dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dgwutka
i mean like the movie i made with the two kids sparring in the field and they get chased by the bandit who gets killed by the wierd fireball lady.
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 alx222000
So, get images of all the characters about the same size? You would still need to do a fair bit of drawing and alteration, since, no offence, something with as few moving parts as that other movie you did isn't really worth making as a movie, when you can get the same effect from another medium.
dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dgwutka

yes, i wouldn't make it like that. that was just a test to see how it would work.

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 alx222000

Okay.

So, you're sure you're up to it?

LordAbyssion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LordAbyssion
I was actually planning to do the same thing as Dg... way back when.... but I lost my inpiration somewhere on the way.
dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dgwutka

i didnt say i was goingto make it...

but i will anyway, once i get my graphics tablet in a month and a half.

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 alx222000

i didnt say i was goingto make it...

but i will anyway, once i get my graphics tablet in a month and a half.

dgwutka
Yes, but you said getting a graphics tablet would allow you to do something about it, and since the tablet lets you draw, the only conclusion is that you were suggesting you draw the frames for the characters.
dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dgwutka

they also make digital media editing easier, becuase a pen is more natural then a mouse.

ill probably draw the characters anyway, even if they are our avatars.

but i guess it would be easier to just manipulate images.

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 alx222000

I suppose that's true, but it still would have been possible before.

Yes, it's easier to manipulate images, but you wouldn't be able to find suitable images of everyone's avatars, which is why, if you're going to use our avatars, some drawing will need to be done.

dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dgwutka

on second thought, im going to draw it. in my computer class at school im working on a .gif movie (not an assignment, just free time) and its pretty easy, even with a mouse, so it should be easier with a tablet.

ill probably post the movie when im finished.

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alx222000
Okay, cool. Now we just need a clearer idea of what sort of movie it's going to be.
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 skine99

Alex just said cool...

Anyway, if this really gets off (God we've waited along time for this) then we'll want it to be worth it. I don't know what it will be about but I believe we must incorporate all the dedicated members we've encountered over the years in some way (even if they only made an appearance).

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 alx222000

I do that when things are cool.

I mean, will it be an advertisement, an introduction video, a history of the guild, or just a fun movie?

skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 skine99

I do that when things are cool.

I mean, will it be an advertisement, an introduction video, a history of the guild, or just a fun movie?

alx222000

You're a genius.

An introduction/ad that describes the guild and history of it in a quick and funny way.

dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dgwutka

i think skine got it :)

i wil probably have to have someone else write the script, because im not a great writer.

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 alx222000

Alright. Writing shouldn't be a problem for me, but I'll have to get some idea of how complex I'm allowed to coreographe the scenes, like, could you make an animation of a building rising out of the ground, with appropriate dust effects?

Which brings me to another point, do we identify the Guild in the movie as an online forum, or as an actual-fictional place?

dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dgwutka
probably. its complexity i have a problem with, i.e. the detail on, say, transformers. (i used that because my transformers in the movie im making are basically stick figures) it might get easier/better with a graphics tablet, it also depends on how big the frame is, and how long i want to spend on each frame. if i want to make each one a work of art, it should look great, but take a few years to make a short movie.
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 alx222000
I'm not saying whether things are extremely detailed, just the amount of things happening at once. I mean, can I include our doing RPs as a battle scene or something? You give me the limits, and I can figure out where to go from there.
dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dgwutka

i probably could include a good amount of stuff on-screen at once as long as the frame was big enough. the animation might bea little off in those sequences beacuse of all the stuff, though.

i.e. something is out of line but is right the next frame.

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 alx222000
So, text or voices?
dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dgwutka
probably text. not only is it easier, but forums are text and we're used to that anyway.