siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
As you can see, the Council is currently inactive. Instead of leaving it like this, I thought that I would share my views on its current status and the union system in general. Here is what I posted in another thread, though I've given it its own post in order to give it a bit more exposure.

I think the ball is in GameSpot's court now, honestly. The Council isn't particularly proactive...It just does not generate the amount of interest as, say, a gaming union would, especially when the union system has not been updated in forever and tons of unions are in their death throes, or have already died. While I consider myself a creative person, I just do not see what I can do to generate attention to the CoU anymore. Reaching out to other unions and getting our name out there a bit with the community blogs helped for a bit, but didn't seem to have very much effect.

Even with affiliating ourselves with management, this union was still the powerless support union that it's always been. A support board like How to GameSpot has the benefit of encompassing all the potential issues that GameSpot has and is in the spotlight on the forums page, while we are not so lucky. We're hidden away and we only cover unions, whose issues can be listed and answered easily. Union discussion is limited to new updates to the union system overall, of which there are none, discussions about the system in general, discussion about other unions, union awards (presumably crashed and burned), and union interviews (we've covered a lot of the big name ones, not very many left). We do not have the pushing power to keep our heads above the water for long periods of time, it would involve a massive overhaul of our current model and actual union support from GameSpot. Until then, I do not think that the Council has long term potential.

Believe me, I've seen a lot concerning unions in my time as a member, leader and especially as a Ranger. A lot of it didn't make me very hopeful at all and it wouldn't surprise me if they continued to let unions lose their potential for years to come. That is not the answer that you want to hear, but I believe it is accurate. Julian suggested a new leader. While that may revive the union, it would be temporary (ooh, shiny new leader, shiny new ideas, shiny new topics). I'd much prefer giving new found effort when the future of unions actually look bright than to pass it off to somebody else and have it fail again, letting everybody down. It is as frustrating to me to see this place inactive as it is to everybody else.

I do not view it as dead, however. I'd be willing to give this place support when it is worth my effort to do.
Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nirgali
Member since 2012 • 95 Posts
There is a long list of known union bugs the gamespot developers have seemingly put on the backburner for so long that I believe we will see a massive overhaul for unions in the "soon®" future. You should start reaching out to the biggest unions which have the most to gain from a replacement union system and drum up some interest so it gives gamespot more incentive to complete said theoretical overhaul. Reach out to the GameSpot community leaders and see if they can shed some light on this topic. I'm almost certain someone like JodyR would be willing to do what she can within the precedural guidelines. ^.^
Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nirgali
Member since 2012 • 95 Posts
Also reach out to the most active bloggers and forum posters.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GreggD
Member since 2004 • 6710 Posts
We've seen...at least two massive site overhauls since the last time the Union system was updated. I'd love to know why that is the case.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 siberian142
We've seen...at least two massive site overhauls since the last time the Union system was updated. I'd love to know why that is the case.GreggD
Probably because changing the site is something that will give them immediate returns. Unions need a pretty sizable amount of work in order to make them successful again and it's not something that will likely benefit them right away. Instead of bothering with them, it is easier to just change the site a bit and bury unions way back on the backburner.

And Nirgali, I understand what you are getting at. And it'd be nice to be optimistic, but it is difficult with the current state of things. The admins know that unions have the support of the community behind them, but that support has dwindled a lot over the years. Tons of notable unions have tanked or have diminished activity. Being told that it's being worked on doesn't have as much of a effect anymore because they've said that before and nothing has happened.
maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 maniamsmart
Member since 2006 • 12069 Posts

In my opinion, I feel like GameSpot is simply neglecting unions. The only place where it's ever really active is the general forums is in the general forums (literally). There used to be times when people would come on and post every day to try and help the union out in level, get new members, get recognition, etc. However, since GameSpot has stopped all that, not only have other unions been drowning, but this union as well. This union focuses on unions, and to be quite frank with you, about 90% of the unions on GameSpot are dead. 

There is no incentive anymore to go post in unions, when you can just go to the OT forums or the general games forums and talk there and get a quick reply to talk with people. Unions used to be here for specific topics where you could make friends and be in competition, or affiliation with other unions. What is the point of that anymore? There is no point anymore. Why? Because there are no incentives, there are no pros of having a union anymore, when you could do the exact same thing in the OT, or other forums. 

As for those of you saying that unions are good to focus on one topic and release news, and features games, etc, yeah, for how long though? Sure, you'll get a few members active in the first week, but then after a while it will go dead because members will start to fade because they see no incentives anymore, they don't see the value of putting effort into something that GameSpot is not even going to support and simply bury away as stated before.

Before unions could gain levels, could gain emblems, could actually have a purpose for being made. The purpose was to create a family in a sense that was related in similar likes and preferences. But how can that happen now if everyone is losing hope. It's nice that some of us are optimistic, but that doesn't mean everyone is, some people are just discouraged because they see GameSpot doing nothing with unions. Hence, no activity in unions and a lack of support for them. If GameSpot would at least put some effort into fixing unions, perhaps featuring them, giving them more abilities, implementing incentives, allowing for more oppertunities and ways to compete or affiliate with a formal sysem, or have some type of system where people could actually enjoy being in a union that would actually be worth something, then people would gain confidence and perhaps also be more active when they see what benefits unions are getting. Right now though, I see no benefits. All I see is attempts and failures. 

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 siberian142
I agree with pretty much everything you said. Unions have nowhere near the amount of exposure that they used to have. If you go on the front page, there is nothing at all about unions. Go on the forums splash page, there is nothing about unions besides the union recruitment forum that is pretty well buried among the other forums. There are unions in the sidebar if you go onto a forum, but many of those are dead. To my knowledge, there has been no mention of unions anymore in the community blog from the times we shared our union interviews with them to the abandoned union awards.

Since they're so buried, leaders can't appeal to new users very well at all. Due to unions being neglected and buried, the council can't be expected to run very efficiently. We would thrive on a ton of active unions and improvements to the system, not piecing together the tiny pieces of the union community as it is now.
maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 maniamsmart
And of course after 3 weeks of my post, no GameSpot representative has made even the effort to reply or even check this thread (assumingly). Typical. More proof that no one cares for unions anymore :(
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 siberian142
There is not a whole lot to be said, to be fair. Saying that union updates are on the way will only hype people up for disappointment when it's this time, 2014.
cornerback3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 cornerback3
Member since 2007 • 3461 Posts
I'm at least glad I was apart of some great unions before the widespread union death that has occured over the past few years.
Superironic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Superironic
Member since 2006 • 12658 Posts
I am going to try and resurrect the unions, my blog goes into more detail but as a web developer, this system wouldn't be hard to develop, GS is just flat out lazy...
maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 maniamsmart

I am going to try and resurrect the unions, my blog goes into more detail but as a web developer, this system wouldn't be hard to develop, GS is just flat out lazy...Superironic

Thank you. Really seems like it. We should strike. No one use the site for a week. 

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 siberian142
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6413315/?skipmc=1 Looks like unions are going bye bye. :(