Is CNET / GameSpot (LACKING MOTIVATION) to Continue Work on UNIONS: VERSION 2?

• 88 results
Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Sentinelrv
Member since 2002 • 23386 Posts

I believe this is the main cause for all the delays and fooling around. I created a thread in Site Enhancements to attempt to counter their lack of motivation, if they actually have it. They should be excited for this. Instead, they seem to consider it low priority. Here is the thread. Tell me what you think.

EDIT 1: It's been locked, but a response has been given basically stating that there are other higher priority things that need to be done that require Unions: Version 2 to be put on hold. So much for giving them motivation.

EDIT 2: The thread has been deleted.

EDIT 3: I can't believe I actually found a way to get my post back. After some searching, I went into my posting history and found all the posts I made in that thread. Clicking on the thread gives me an error, but to the right I noticed it gives a tiny quote of the post that I made, and I found the one that started off the thread. It only showed an excerpt of the quote though, soIwent to view the source code of the entire page and then found the entire first post. I'll post it below, but one thing is odd that I have to add. When I click on the thread title, instead of telling me that the topic doesn't exist, instead it tells me that I don't have access to the board. Does this mean that the admins didn't delete the thread afterall, and instead moved it to a secure location where they can keep it for whatever reason? Anyway, here it is...

"For some reason, I sense a lack of care or urgency from CNET and GameSpot to complete Unions: Version 2. I could be dead wrong, but that's just what I feel from some of the responses I've gotten from the staff. If the readers of this thread don't already know, the union enhancements were put on hold some time ago because of a lack of coders to finish the job. It's not known whether GameSpot has started up work on the project again.

But the real question is why is this development process taking so long. I created those union enhancement ideas back in 2006 and it's almost 2008 now. Delays, delays and more excuses. This is part of the reason why I get the feeling that there is a lack of motivation. Jody Robinson said that she and Bethany are pushing to get the project done, but why should they have to push so hard in the meeting room just to get CNET to budge?

Of course the obvious question coming from CNET and from a business perspective would be "How Does Unions: Version 2 Benefit Us?" If there is no benefit for the site and company, then there is no reason to drop a load of money for its creation. There is a large benefit though, in the form of these mini fan sites/unions drawing in even more viewers for GameSpot.....and More Viewers = More Ad Clicks. Imagine the amount of viewers these unions could pull in for GameSpot if they had Unions: Version 2 on their side. They would no longer be basic fan sites, but advanced ones capable of doing great things if given the chance. You guys have the opportunity to create the next big thing, the next MySpace or YouTube. You could make an entire unions site by itself and connected to other CNET sites. A site for easy creation of mini (But still advanced) sites.

Of course, the other option is something that union leaders might not like, but if it's a question about a big return for GameSpot and CNET in offering their resources to finish creating this, they could charge for this new union system. There could be certain levels of features for unions. For example, the Basic Level would be the union system we currently have and it would be free. There could be a Middle Level with half of the Unions: Version 2 features and that would have a regular price to pay. Then there would be the Advanced level, which includes all of the Unions: Version 2 enhancements for a higher price. There could even be another option of payment, which eliminates ads on a union for anyone that visits it, giving a union leader's members the best viewing experience possible. This higher payment could also include some advertisements for the unions somewhere on CNET's sites. More Money = More Features.

You see, there is money to be made off of unions if you really think about how to implement these ideas. Tell that to CNET. They have a good opportunity here that they should capitalize on. And the demand for these features is already there. Are you afraid that a union leader might not want to pay for what they can get for free? There's a solution to that too. Since this is a union afterall, setup a payment center where any member of the union can stop by to help with the fee of having more advanced features. With the payment option open to thousands of members, I'm sure the money to keep their union running won't be an issue.

What more motivation could you need for allowing GameSpot's developers to finish this project up and release it to the public? CNET should be excited for this. Instead, they seem to consider it a low priority project and are holding it back. To me and many others, that seems ludicrous. The opportunity is there CNET/GameSpot, you just need to realize the benefits and seize it."

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hendrix29
Member since 2006 • 10960 Posts
Like I said in the other thread, I agree wholeheartedley, and I hope gamespot responds, which reminds me as to why they aren't even responding to this.
Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sentinelrv

Like I said in the other thread, I agree wholeheartedley, and I hope gamespot responds, which reminds me as to why they aren't even responding to this. hendrix29

Your message you sent to Jody?

Lazdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Lazdude
Member since 2004 • 1520 Posts
I read your rant and there are some logical arguments in there. Also, I think your idea of paying for upgraded unions is just the kind of encouragement CNET needs to implement this. However, the likelyhood of a staff member seeing your thread is slim, it may be faster to send them a PM.
Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sentinelrv

The thread has been locked, but also with a post from the Community Development Manager. What do you think of his response?

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hendrix29
From the sound of it, it seems like CNET just isn't giving GameSpot the funds to work with this. At least, that's what I got out of it being a lesser priority for gamespot. Perhaps they don't think they can garner enough money from it.
Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sentinelrv

From the sound of it, it seems like CNET just isn't giving GameSpot the funds to work with this. At least, that's what I got out of it being a lesser priority for gamespot. Perhaps they don't think they can garner enough money from it. hendrix29

Here is an excerpt of a PM I just sent him:

"Really, what I was trying to do was show to CNET and GameSpot the benefits to "the company" of having such a redesign occurr, and not just the benefits of the users experience on the site as I did with my Unions: Version 2 thread. I was trying to list different things that you could take advantage of that may not have been thought of before in your meetings, things that could give it a higher priority."

So the whole purpose of my thread was to get them to see the advantages from a business perspective, which is what they look for before they consider implementing something. Only they have records for how many people subscribe to their services and other detailed stats, so they would have the best idea of how successful it would be if union subscriptions were implemented. I thought that union subscriptions would make it a very high priority project, since it's making them money for the features supplied, plus ad revenue and the tons of new viewers it brings in.

I don't know what these other higher priority projects are that they always seem to be working on, but I do know that they're always holding back the more important things to us. Besides my attempt made here at getting them to realize the union system's potential, there's nothing else I can do. It's all up to them deciding which project gets them a better return in the end and making that higher priority than other things.

serbsta69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 serbsta69
Member since 2006 • 19209 Posts
Sent, your ideas sound so precise, so clear and so exciting. Its great what youve done now, but the thread is already locked. I think John is trying to get this done but the 'higher powers' wont let him. Its a sad story, youve put forward so many benefits for both the users and GameSpot itself, still no attention. Shame.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts

The higher ups eh?

They CAN be convinced if one of the GS staff tries to show the higher ups that how much we are wanting V2.

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hendrix29
Sent, I've got a bit more to back that up. If you search (it's likely on the union's second page), you'll find my ways that unions could benefit GameSpot post. I may as well send a link to that in a message to some GameSpot workers to get some hopeful response out of them.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
wow. I hope it doesn't get canceled. It's a good idea. It's not good to have this thing go down the drain
Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sentinelrv
Hmm, they must have deleted it now. Well, you might be able to get an idea of what the thread was hinting at from my last post above.
nav_auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nav_auron
Member since 2005 • 15619 Posts
Has there been a petition...? My memory's that bad, so if there has, I must've forgot.
Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sentinelrv

Has there been a petition...? My memory's that bad, so if there has, I must've forgot.nav_auron

The only thing considered a petition would be the Unions: Version 2 thread and all its replies.

BladeMaster75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 BladeMaster75
Member since 2005 • 4222 Posts

Does anyone have a screenshot of the original thread/does Sent have his draft saved? I didn't get a chance to read this before it was locked....

I don't like the idea of paying to upgrade (I'm still a basic member and have no plans to upgrade) but I can see how that'd be way more practical and I'd support it anyway.

Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sentinelrv

I edited the first post to show the post I made, along with an interesting observation of the error message I get when trying to access the deleted thread.

yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts
Alright folks, sorry but I have to ask... why do we even care about unions anymore? CNET doesn't care, Gamespot doesn't care, so why should we care?
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 GreggD
Member since 2004 • 6710 Posts
Alright folks, sorry but I have to ask... why do we even care about unions anymore? CNET doesn't care, Gamespot doesn't care, so why should we care?yian
Because they're like a hub of sorts. You can visit a union on any given subject/premise, get some new info, post opinions, etc, etc. At least, that's why I care about the unions concept. And that's why I offered my servicesfor leadership of Castlevania Ultima Union, being that Iwas a devout follower right from the get-go. I wouldn't just give up on it because some corporate/website bigwigs might have. Either way, though, I'm sorry to see your thoughts on the subject are so sour. And simplistic, at that.
nav_auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nav_auron

Why do you think Gamespot doesn't care? They wouldn't have made Unions if they didn't care...

[QUOTE="nav_auron"]Has there been a petition...? My memory's that bad, so if there has, I must've forgot.Sentinelrv

The only thing considered a petition would be the Unions: Version 2 thread and all its replies.

Ahh, right...:)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Alright folks, sorry but I have to ask... why do we even care about unions anymore? CNET doesn't care, Gamespot doesn't care, so why should we care?yian

The same reason we lead unions

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hendrix29

[QUOTE="yian"]Alright folks, sorry but I have to ask... why do we even care about unions anymore? CNET doesn't care, Gamespot doesn't care, so why should we care?UltraZero

and what is that reason, the only reason I care is because I plan on moving my union off-site.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
[QUOTE="UltraZero"]

[QUOTE="yian"]Alright folks, sorry but I have to ask... why do we even care about unions anymore? CNET doesn't care, Gamespot doesn't care, so why should we care?hendrix29

and what is that reason, the only reason I care is because I plan on moving my union off-site.

My reason is for discussions and having fun with other GS members in a community (union) and if thr is a V2 version. Well, it simply makes it much better, Discussion dept., Fun and games dept., Role-playing dept. etc. The boundaries are unlimited and this WILL encourage more ppl to go to a specific type of board they wish. Those who enjoy having a discussion can chat around but those who want to have fun can go to their respective dept.

Lazdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Lazdude
Member since 2004 • 1520 Posts

and what is that reason, the only reason I care is because I plan on moving my union off-site. hendrix29

How are you planning on doing this hendrix? For instance, what website would you use?

Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sentinelrv

I like to take part in discussions and other events in my union, but I don't think that's the real reason why I lead The HeadCrab Union and keep pushing the boundaries on what I can do with it. I think the real reason is because I'm good at it.. It's one of the only things I'm good at as of this moment. Every time I advance the union further, and accomplish a goal I feel like I've succeeded, especially with the praise everyone always gives me. On the other hand, now that unions are slowing down I feel as if I'm accomplishing all these goals for nothing, like they have no purpose and it makes me feel like a failure, but it also drives me to keep trying. Since I've built it from the ground up, deleting the union or passing it on to somebody else would make me feel like a failure, like I'm giving away a part of who I am. It would also erase one of the things I'm good at in life, making me less successful in the process. Maybe I'm emotionally tied to it? I'm sure that's unhealthy. :?

Hmm, that sounds like a good topic for a thread.

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hendrix29

[QUOTE="hendrix29"]and what is that reason, the only reason I care is because I plan on moving my union off-site. Lazdude

How are you planning on doing this hendrix? For instance, what website would you use?

I'm honestly not sure yet. I was thinking about freewebs because that's pretty easy for me, but then I remembered that I wanted to host downloads, though I'm not sure if that's free or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
CNETT DOES NOT CARE A ***K BOUT V2.... It is evident by what happened to Jeff for reviewing Kane and Lynch
hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hendrix29

CNETT DOES NOT CARE A ***K BOUT V2.... It is evident by what happened to Jeff for reviewing Kane and LynchUltraZero

that does not relate to anything unions, whatsoever.

Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sentinelrv
I'm sure it has an effect in some way. After this whole thing, I don't really feel like being affiliated with such a disgusting site. These higher ups only seem to care about the cash.
nav_auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nav_auron
Well, hopefully, Don (http://us.gamespot.com/users/Donkeljohn/, for those who don't know who he is), who was just hired by GS, will have some role in helping with V2, cos apparently, his job is based around unions. And it's wierd that Jeff is still the leader of the GS Live Union and had the staff emblem. But it's normal for it to take that long to change those things.
hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hendrix29

Well, hopefully, Don (http://us.gamespot.com/users/Donkeljohn/, for those who don't know who he is), who was just hired by GS, will have some role in helping with V2, cos apparently, his job is based around unions. And it's wierd that Jeff is still the leader of the GS Live Union and had the staff emblem. But it's normal for it to take that long to change those things.nav_auron

I thought he was more of a community manager, and I remember him saying he helps with unions, but nothing has been done yet, and he's not sure if anything gets done.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blizzvalve
now with all the controversey with Jeff, Unions 2.0 is probrably on hold.
hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hendrix29

now with all the controversey with Jeff, Unions 2.0 is probrably on hold.blizzvalve

It already WAS on hold, now it's likely cancelled.

Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts
Things just seem to have gone down hill since Greg left, its a shame really.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blizzvalve
And now things got worse with Jeff gone
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uas-2001
Member since 2005 • 18781 Posts
Also i think that CNET and co may not think paying for unions is gonna work, especially after the stop subscribing to GS fallout caused by the firing of Jeff.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blizzvalve
Yeah. Things may change after that.
Donkeljohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#38 Donkeljohn
Member since 2003 • 4087 Posts
It may be easy at this point for many people to discount the attention or internal desire to improve unions at GameSpot, but I would strongly encourage those who care about the union experience to continue to care. Unions are not going away and improvements are still being championed internally.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blizzvalve

So Unions 2.0 is still in the works?

BladeMaster75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 BladeMaster75
Member since 2005 • 4222 Posts
That probably means they're not in the works, but they're still being discussed....so there's still a chance for them to be back in the works.
dev_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dev_ron
Member since 2005 • 2465 Posts

GS can't just let unions go like this. Cos if this continues; a good number of members, specially leaders will leave wasting time for unions. They can easily maintain discussions at the GS main forum or making their blogs a place for gatherings.

I believe that the Version-2 will come sooner or later.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blizzvalve
I guess we will have to ait and see
dev_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dev_ron
yea...we've already waited long enough and can do a little more
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blizzvalve
I'll be busy with my games.
Jackov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jackov
Member since 2003 • 7573 Posts
I sure hate that GS still has their union levels frozen.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blizzvalve
yeah. I don't know why they discontinued the levels in the firsdt place.
Avatar image for TheForgotten0ne
TheForgotten0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheForgotten0ne
Member since 2007 • 3759 Posts
yeah. I don't know why they discontinued the levels in the firsdt place.blizzvalve
Unions was fighting, who had the highest lvl, and they made many Spam threads. GS didn't like this and froze the lvls:) Something like that...
dev_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dev_ron
maybe it's like the Biological Warfare emblem..banned because of abusing the privilege
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blizzvalve

How high did the union level go up to. The highest level of a union I seen is Level 13

Jackov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jackov
Member since 2003 • 7573 Posts

How high did the union level go up to. The highest level of a union I seen is Level 13

blizzvalve

Then you should really check out WWEv. ;) (Click on the top banner in my sig.)