siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
As a first discussion, I wanted the current members of the Council of Unions to give me their opinions about what we can do about union features in this union. The Council of Unions is a community that is dedicated to the union system in general, so I wanted to introduce various recurring features, discussions and the such that other members may enjoy. The most obvious reintroduction would be the Leader Interviews, as they have always seemed successful and interesting to read a few years ago when we were actively doing them.

If it was up to you, members of this union, what would you introduce? While I can't promise anything, I would like to get this place running with actively updated content so union morale can, hopefully, go up, even a teensy tiny bit.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
Here's a couple features I wouldn't mind seeing: -The leader interviews return -A guide that teaches rookies how to be better leaders -This might not be appreciated by some, but a leader rankings kinda thing would be pretty neat I think. -Leader of the month spotlight should return -Perhaps a guide on picking officers would be nice and helpful.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 siberian142
Could you explain a bit more about the leader rankings idea?
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts
I think that making guides would be a really good idea.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 julian_jr
Could you explain a bit more about the leader rankings idea?siberian142
Well it could be some kind of leaderboard or something that would rank all of Gamespot's top leaders of all time. It would obviously be a bit biased depending on who would end up creating it, but nonetheless it may be interesting and spark some interest. Also you could do something like ranking the current union leaders around nowadays and based on how good of a job they're doing give them ratings. Actually thinking on it, giving leaders ratings on how they're doing with feedback would be a great idea in my opinion! It would be beneficial to them and could help them improve. If you do this however, I'd like to see ratings be brutally honest even if they may seem kinda mean, otherwise it would be pointless since it wouldn't offer proper feedback on what a leader needs to improve on.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 siberian142
For guides, I was thinking of revamping the one I made a while ago for use in this union. Not sure I'd be the best pick when it comes to making a guide on how to be a good leader or officer, so perhaps someone else could give it a try if they wanted too? I was intending on giving the CoU community more of a voice when it comes to some of the stuff done around here this time around.
-Leader of the month spotlight should return.julian_jr

Not sure about this one. With the community managers doing their own version of this, I am afraid that the leader spotlight will turn into a carbon copy of the union spotlight. If we did start it up again, would it follow the same format that it did before (member nominates leader, leader gets put into a poll)?
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 uas-2001
Member since 2005 • 18781 Posts
Leader rankings could be good depending on how well they are done. Definitely could spark some competition :D
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
For guides, I was thinking of revamping the one I made a while ago for use in this union. Not sure I'd be the best pick when it comes to making a guide on how to be a good leader or officer, so perhaps someone else could give it a try if they wanted too?siberian142
I'd be up for that. As for my ideas: I'd like to see the union become like an actual council of unions. So for example, the union should facilitate discussion between union leaders on union reforms and the state of unions on GameSpot. As suggested, I like the idea of holding union interviews and perhaps making any union guides that we can think of. As to whether these ideas will work or not, there's only one way to find out: try them. ;)
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 julian_jr
I'm for a guide that teaches how to be a good leader rather than all the basic guides out there that don't really help much. People make too many mistakes with unions in my opinion and there's only a handful of people who I've seen as knowing what to do..
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 uas-2001

*sees the construction of union leader guide underway*

Looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 michaelP4
^ Thanks! I plan to cover really all aspects of the union, and not just on what the union leader can do. It takes more than leadership to get a successful union - officers and recruits have their own equally as important roles to play too. :)
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 julian_jr
One thing that would be nice is if people were allowed to post comments in the homepage. The way things are currently set up doesn't allow for any conversation in the homepage, hence making the homepage slightly less useful.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 siberian142
[QUOTE="siberian142"]Could you explain a bit more about the leader rankings idea?julian_jr
Well it could be some kind of leaderboard or something that would rank all of Gamespot's top leaders of all time. It would obviously be a bit biased depending on who would end up creating it, but nonetheless it may be interesting and spark some interest.

Without a way to properly rank unions, I don't think it would really be fair to all the other unions if we started to rank them based on total activity or their statistics. I'd much prefer putting unions that do a great job at running things in the spotlight here.

One thing that would be nice is if people were allowed to post comments in the homepage. The way things are currently set up doesn't allow for any conversation in the homepage, hence making the homepage slightly less useful.julian_jr
I was actually thinking of making the homepage more of an aesthetic. The forums definitely garner more attention, so I think keeping discussion based solely on the forums is more effective. But if people think otherwise.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 julian_jr
Getting rid of comments in the homepage takes away potential activity in the homepage. I understand that the board is the main focus however you also want to have as many possible places that can give the union some activity. Gamespot doesn't give unions many features to help out, so you want to take advantage of all the possibilities out there so you don't lose activity.
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
The best option would be that the homepage updates would open up a new thread on the board.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 julian_jr
That could possibly clutter the entire board eventually, based on how frequent homepage updates are posted.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 michaelP4
I'd agree with siberian: you're better to keep all of the activity in the board. Nobody really uses the homepage. I quite like lancelot's idea. I don't believe the updates will clutter the union board either, as they will be a minority of the topics discussed here, and other users will post in other topics. I've seen lancelot's idea implemented in other unions, even in inactive ones, and it always turns out fine.
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
That could possibly clutter the entire board eventually, based on how frequent homepage updates are posted.julian_jr
Unions need sub-boards. :P
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 siberian142
Most of what Julian has suggested has been introduced :). Anyone else have any more ideas that we could use?
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 julian_jr
More frequent telegrams and reaching out to unions. Right now let's be realistic, this place is pretty dead, and it's going to remain that way until the union starts to reach out to other unions and gamespot. The community managers are aware of this place, however until there's more action going around and more involvement it's not really doing anything. Get jody or synthia to become more involved with this union, reach out to them and help find ways to spread union awareness.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 michaelP4
I agree with what Julian has said. I would also like to suggest in regards to telegrams, that you could try sending a welcome letter (via PM) to new members. The welcome letter could contain an image (for decoration), info regarding the main features of the union, important links etc to encourage participation in the union.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 siberian142
More frequent telegrams and reaching out to unions. Right now let's be realistic, this place is pretty dead, and it's going to remain that way until the union starts to reach out to other unions and gamespot.julian_jr
How would you suggest we do that? I've been thinking of ways to reach out to other unions and become more involved with them, but not many of the ideas I've came up with seemed like they'd work all that well.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 julian_jr
That's up to you as the leader of this place to figure out. Make inter union events, contact leaders and staff, etc. If you really want to get unions to become more involved then you have to set the example by taking initiative and taking the risks. If some event doesn't work, try something else. Thinking stuff doesn't mean a thing if you never get past that stage. About a year ago the SCU decided to bring back the union awards, and we managed to reach out to unions that no one in the SCU even knew about so it's possible if you put the effort. We had people say we were crazy for trying to do it although we still went about it.
maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 maniamsmart
Member since 2006 • 12069 Posts

I suggest that union endorsements be looked over and reviewed, there are several unions that are dead, or may not be as active anymore and are still endorsed. If I remember correctly, aunion being endorsed means they serve as a useful and reliable resource for the entire GameSpot community. I have seen some unions that are endorsed and are not very active and are not very up to date.

I know people will ask for examples, so here are some:

The Final Fantasy Experience Union was last updated in news in beginning of September. Compared to The Final Fantasy Fans Union, which last updated their news October 4, 2011, and does updates every 5 days or so, and are WAY more active and involve the community more.

The Resident Evil Union has not even been active AT ALL since June and July, their last news update in February! Unfortunately, no other union in that category is active either.

And The Unreal Tournament Fans Union also is a dead union. There is also no replacement for that one though. 

And these are just the endorsed unions, I don't even want to go into the Official Unions because they also have problems most likely. These endorsed unions really need to be reviewed, because some unions do not deserve them at all, and some unions just can't keep up with other unions that are putting way more effort into their union. 

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 julian_jr
This union doesn't have that kind of power to control endorsements though.
maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 maniamsmart
This union doesn't have that kind of power to control endorsements though.julian_jr
Yes I found that out this morning unfortunately, I also sent this message to the admins and staff members and posted it in he Site Feedback baord. But I just wanted to make everyone aware of the situation. :)
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts

As Julian stated, if the union is going to be successful, it is going to take awareness that the union exists, which in turn will lead to involvement. If there is one thing that seriously contributes to raising activity in a slow union, it's recruiting. I'm talking about manual labour, hunting out users in the community, and sending them invites. If a union doesn't already have a strong base of regular members, then you need to bring in new people to diversify the community, and expand the community. This union has such great potential for recruiting, since there is little "hunting" required to find potential members. Just going through unions that are at least somewhat active, and inviting the staff, and even some of the active users of the forum could really inject some life back in here.

SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SQUALL20XX
Member since 2005 • 6063 Posts

In defense of our FFE (Final Fantasy Experience) union, I've to confess things were not in the best condition, but now after I've been appointed as COO in the union (Temporary acting as the leader) things is going in right path again, we are still active in all senses, the union is up to date in terms of updates, the discussions are covering most of the FF news, it will take some time to reach our momentum but we are heading there, FFE has reached this elite level with hard work and commitment, the buggy telegram system is killing the unions, but I did the unthinkable and gathered all the users (5367 user) in order to send telegrams with the new method (the @ system) without the users knowing what activities are happening, the unions will get less active, but not anymore I can proudly say that we can send telegrams anytime now, we worked hard to get endorsed by GameSpot, it took years to do so, I'm doing my best to meet the high expectations from FFE, step by step we will reach there, we'll protect our endorsement no matter what, FFFU is nothing compared to what we do at our best, we are a big union lvl 20 at the moment, with 5300+ users we are one of the biggest unions on GameSpot, the next line will sound epic, we will protect our union and our endorsement with our souls.

maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 maniamsmart

In defense of our FFE (Final Fantasy Experience) union, I've to confess things were not in the best condition, but now after I've been appointed as COO in the union (Temporary acting as the leader) things is going in right path again, we are still active in all senses, the union is up to date in terms of updates, the discussions are covering most of the FF news, it will take some time to reach our momentum but we are heading there, FFE has reached this elite level with hard work and commitment, the buggy telegram system is killing the unions, but I did the unthinkable and gathered all the users (5367 user) in order to send telegrams with the new method (the @ system) without the users knowing what activities are happening, the unions will get less active, but not anymore I can proudly say that we can send telegrams anytime now, we worked hard to get endorsed by GameSpot, it took years to do so, I'm doing my best to meet the high expectations from FFE, step by step we will reach there, we'll protect our endorsement no matter what, FFFU is nothing compared to what we do at our best, we are a big union lvl 20 at the moment, with 5300+ users we are one of the biggest unions on GameSpot, the next line will sound epic, we will protect our union and our endorsement with our souls.

SQUALL20XX
A plain straight out solemn attack at the FFFU I see... well, I will most definetly be sharing this with my administration team. If it is a competition that you are looking for, than we will give you one...
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SQUALL20XX
Member since 2005 • 6063 Posts

A plain straight out solemn attack at the FFFU I see... well, I will most definetly be sharing this with my administration team. If it is a competition that you are looking for, than we will give you one...maniamsmart

Comparing unions is not attacking them, if so then you have quite attacked FFE, what I'm looking for? Of course a fair competition without campaigning against other unions ;).

maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 maniamsmart

[QUOTE="maniamsmart"]A plain straight out solemn attack at the FFFU I see... well, I will most definetly be sharing this with my administration team. If it is a competition that you are looking for, than we will give you one...SQUALL20XX

Comparing unions is not attacking them, if so then you have quite attacked FFE, what I'm looking for? Of course a fair competition without campaigning against other unions ;).

I may have compared FFFU and FFE several times, but I have NEVER said somthing like you said where I completely blatantly downgrade one union:

"FFFU is nothing compared to what we do at our best..."

And NEVER have I solemnly made one post with a huge paragraph bragging about the FFFU and saying that we are the best and better than all others and started listing our stats like you did. 

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 siberian142
Come on guys, the suggestions thread is no place to argue about this. :-P
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 uas-2001
How about a compilation of all the most active unions, a list with them all split by genre and linked to the union homepage, that way it could make it easier to find a good active union?
maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 maniamsmart
How about a compilation of all the most active unions, a list with them all split by genre and linked to the union homepage, that way it could make it easier to find a good active union?uas-2001
There is only about 15-20 unions or so that are active on GameSpot, but I like the idea.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 michaelP4
I'm sure there are far more than 15-20 active unions on GS. Some of the unions I used to be a member of years ago are still going, albeit not as active as they used to be (and quite a lot of them probably wouldn't be known widely enough in the general GS community). As for the idea: I like it. COU could certainly help out in unearthing the active unions from the numerous inactive ones and creating an easy-to-use directory (Games unions, Off Topic unions etc) for users to use, seeing as how finding unions now can be quite difficult.
maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 maniamsmart

Yeah sorry about that, I looked around and there are more than 15-20 lol.

I'll gladyly help out with this project though :D 

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 julian_jr
How would the unions be sorted in a way that wouldn't seem biased?
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 uas-2001

Well once they've been placed under a category they wouldn't be listed in any particular order, maybe just alphabetic.

I'll start up a thread and just add unions whenever you can.

uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uas-2001
Well once they've been placed under a category they wouldn't be listed in any particular order, maybe just alphabetic.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 michaelP4
Well once they've been placed under a category they wouldn't be listed in any particular order, maybe just alphabetic.uas-2001
Alphabetical or random order (such as in the order they were added) seems to be the fairest way. Unless we come up with some sort of a rating system, but that too would be biased and would require a lot of work to maintain. Either way, good to see you getting the idea started uas. ;)
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 uas-2001
Thanks, oh and I didn't realise the union guide got completed and stuck in the How to GameSpot guide, nice one :D
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 julian_jr
This place is dead to the point where it has no posts at all occurring daily anymore.
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 uas-2001
Yeah I think I'll be leaving GameSpot this year sometime...
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

This place is dead to the point where it has no posts at all occurring daily anymore. julian_jr

Probably because they hand out 30 day suspensions to one of the few dedicated union leaders that are left. I'll be leaving GS shortly as a result and no doubt my union will die off. Good work GS! *high five*

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts
When's the last time the leader of this union's posted? My suggestion is for the leader to get back posting.
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 uas-2001
I think Siberian has officially given up, there is a stickied thread about it I'm afraid.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 julian_jr
I think Siberian has officially given up, there is a stickied thread about it I'm afraid.uas-2001
If he has given up then he should give up leadership rather than just claim the union is dead and close the place down. He's hurting the union rather than helping it at this point.
GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts

[QUOTE="uas-2001"]I think Siberian has officially given up, there is a stickied thread about it I'm afraid.julian_jr
If he has given up then he should give up leadership rather than just claim the union is dead and close the place down. He's hurting the union rather than helping it at this point.

Exactly what I said in the revival thread. :P If the leader gives up, but the officers and some recruits don't give up, then why close it down?

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 siberian142
I think the ball is in GameSpot's court now, honestly. The Council isn't particularly proactive...It just does not generate the amount of interest as, say, a gaming union would, especially when the union system has not been updated in forever and tons of unions are in their death throes, or have already died. While I consider myself a creative person, I just do not see what I can do to generate attention to the CoU anymore. Reaching out to other unions and getting our name out there a bit with the community blogs helped for a bit, but didn't seem to have very much effect.

Even with affiliating ourselves with management, this union was still the powerless support union that it's always been. A support board like How to GameSpot has the benefit of encompassing all the potential issues that GameSpot has and is in the spotlight on the forums page, while we are not so lucky. We're hidden away and we only cover unions, whose issues can be listed and answered easily. Union discussion is limited to new updates to the union system overall, of which there are none, discussions about the system in general, discussion about other unions, union awards (presumably crashed and burned), and union interviews (we've covered a lot of the big name ones, not very many left). We do not have the pushing power to keep our heads above the water for long periods of time, it would involve a massive overhaul of our current model and actual union support from GameSpot. Until then, I do not think that the Council has long term potential.

Believe me, I've seen a lot concerning unions in my time as a member, leader and especially as a Ranger. A lot of it didn't make me very hopeful at all and it wouldn't surprise me if they continued to let unions lose their potential for years to come. That is not the answer that you want to hear, but I believe it is accurate. Julian suggested a new leader. While that may revive the union, it would be temporary (ooh, shiny new leader, shiny new ideas, shiny new topics). I'd much prefer giving new found effort when the future of unions actually look bright than to pass it off to somebody else and have it fail again, letting everybody down. It is as frustrating to me to see this place inactive as it is to everybody else.

I do not view it as dead, however. I'd be willing to give this place support when it is worth my effort to do.