Syrinx61's Emo Rant regarding PoR's "bonus features".

Avatar image for deactivated-5e711e4d5fe7e
deactivated-5e711e4d5fe7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e711e4d5fe7e
Member since 2006 • 5015 Posts

Ok.  I'm gonna vent, take a deep breath, and then be back to normal. 

Portrait of Ruin was going to be my major Christmas present this year. Nothing else, as we are flat out broke (thanks to the house).  I can't begin to tell you how excited I was about getting the Bonus feature with all the little goodies (artwork, soundtrack, etc).  I preordered the thing.  I called my store to double check that I was going to get the bonus.  I called again recently to make sure when I could pick it up.

I'm bouncing in excitement in my car today, get to the store, and I ask for my copy as I'm smiling from ear to ear, "I reserved Portrait of Ruin and have come to pick it up".  The guy gives me the copy without the bonus.  I said, I preordered it, don't I get the bonus (I was at the store only a couple of hours after they opened)?  He said those were gone in minutes, and it'll be impossible to find them anywhere.  I stared at the lonely plain copy of PoR and felt my heart sank.  So I took it.

Has anyone felt so pissed off about the fact that we now are pressured to either have "good contacts", be in a lucky location, sit in line for hours, pay an atrocious amount of money, beg and plead, and do any means necessary to get something they've been looking forward to in the gaming industry??  (Take the PS3/Wii hype).  Just because I show up 2 hours late (because I have a life/job) to the game store mean that I'm less deserving of getting what was my only Christmas present??  Am I less of a hardcore fan?  Someone's been a fan of this series for 20 years.  Looking on Ebay, people are trying to sell the pack now for around $100.00.

Konami's been notorious for not dispersing in high numbers.  That was looming as I was driving to the store.  Anyway, PoR's sitting in front of me, and I really don't have the urge to open it at the moment.  Sounds miniscule, but this gaming hobby has become less and less enjoyable as I feel I need to claw my way in line to get something. Merry freakin' Christmas.

ainge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ainge
Member since 2003 • 219 Posts
You have every right to be angry about that. I probably would have chewed out that store clerk if he had said that to me. I ordered mine online and the tracking page claims that the bonus stuff was shipped, but now I question whether it'll come or not... Sorry about your bad luck, hope the rest of Christmas is better for you.
Avatar image for deactivated-6009c39ba2f35
deactivated-6009c39ba2f35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 deactivated-6009c39ba2f35
Member since 2005 • 20866 Posts
Emooo :P I'm sorry Rachael :( you deserve it more than anyone, and it's not fair on your part. :(:(:(:(
Avatar image for deactivated-5992048d2d5ba
deactivated-5992048d2d5ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 deactivated-5992048d2d5ba
Member since 2005 • 5165 Posts
Oh great that's what I was wondering myself. I'm headed out to get it tomorrow and if they don't have it then I really don't need the game. I don't even have a DS yet for crying out loud. The collectors goodies was the only reason I preordered. :(
Scorpinox1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Scorpinox1989
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Ok.  I'm gonna vent, take a deep breath, and then be back to normal. 

Portrait of Ruin was going to be my major Christmas present this year. Nothing else, as we are flat out broke (thanks to the house).  I can't begin to tell you how excited I was about getting the Bonus feature with all the little goodies (artwork, soundtrack, etc).  I preordered the thing.  I called my store to double check that I was going to get the bonus.  I called again recently to make sure when I could pick it up.

I'm bouncing in excitement in my car today, get to the store, and I ask for my copy as I'm smiling from ear to ear, "I reserved Portrait of Ruin and have come to pick it up".  The guy gives me the copy without the bonus.  I said, I preordered it, don't I get the bonus (I was at the store only a couple of hours after they opened)?  He said those were gone in minutes, and it'll be impossible to find them anywhere.  I stared at the lonely plain copy of PoR and felt my heart sank.  So I took it.

Has anyone felt so pissed off about the fact that we now are pressured to either have "good contacts", be in a lucky location, sit in line for hours, pay an atrocious amount of money, beg and plead, and do any means necessary to get something they've been looking forward to in the gaming industry??  (Take the PS3/Wii hype).  Just because I show up 2 hours late (because I have a life/job) to the game store mean that I'm less deserving of getting what was my only Christmas present??  Am I less of a hardcore fan?  Someone's been a fan of this series for 20 years.  Looking on Ebay, people are trying to sell the pack now for around $100.00.

Konami's been notorious for not dispersing in high numbers.  That was looming as I was driving to the store.  Anyway, PoR's sitting in front of me, and I really don't have the urge to open it at the moment.  Sounds miniscule, but this gaming hobby has become less and less enjoyable as I feel I need to claw my way in line to get something. Merry freakin' Christmas.

Syrinx61

Well,you probably already know this,but when there's special goodies that come with the game they're usually not available unless you pre-order online.My friend had the same thing happen when he pre-ordered Gears of War and didn't get his xbox360 Faceplate with it.For these reasons,I never look forward to goodies when I pre-order something.Then if there is,I'm very happy,and if there isn't,I feel just normal.

Anyway,I'm very sorry for you and nice Emo Rant. :wink:

alucard1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 alucard1137
Member since 2006 • 2916 Posts
rach i hav good news the bonus crap will be mailed to you later on the same thing happened to me with tekken dr
Andrew_D28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Andrew_D28
Member since 2004 • 421 Posts
I'll say this, it is pretty lame that they make people have to camp, but its not really gamers fault, or even the companies themselves. Consider this, a huge percent of Wii and PS3 campers were just looking forward to make a quick buck on Ebay/ any other way to sell it for dbl. the price. Also game stores are really starting to slack on the bonus preorder stuff. Sometimes they get it in...sometimes they dont...its just crazy. And after even ordering online, you still might get your bonus material smashed up. I was looking forward to that black box with the wax seal being perfectly intact...but when I got my order today, the box was all dented up. Luckly the contents on the inside were just fine, and the game itself was safe, being in that hard standard DS case. But still, this will make me weary of ordering online from EBgames/Gamestop and having it delivered by UPS. Even UPS tried to shaft me by telling me on the tracking site, it was rescheduled to monday delivery...but I called immediatly and got that straightened out. Maybe its because the Christmas season is here, and deliveries are getting hectic? I dunno...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e711e4d5fe7e

Thanks for your support guys- I appreciate the pat on the back.   I think there's some truth about being that it is the holiday season as well, which makes things spin out of control in the delivery department. 

Anyway, if you did order the bonus, I hope you have it in your hands and enjoying it to the fullest.  I know for a fact that some of you that responded are pretty serious CV collectors, and relate well to the incident.  I want to thank one of you for even offering to ship yours out to me as an xmas gift- I couldn't ask for better people in this union!

Well I'm over 300% into the game, and must say I'm quite impressed.  Hope you all are liking it as well. :)

CyberDragon10K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CyberDragon10K
Member since 2006 • 770 Posts
Been a while since I came here, and I've got a little story too; bear with me and remember I'm not trying to hi-jack. XD

My cousin ordered it for me online, and it arrived a few days ago. You guessed it, they mailed it in a cheap envelope and the outer case got crushed. It peeves me how they couldn't afford some bubble wrap insulated boxes to ship these in, considering how many international orders suffered this way. Anyone who picked it up at the store was either lucky, or insane enough to camp. Almost makes me want to bid on those "pristine" condition ones up for auction on eBay. ;P

But yes, the goodies are well worth it. I'm sorry to hear that you got screwed out of your pre-order pack thanks to an ignorant employee. EB seems to be notorious for that (although it's less apparent in Canada, where I am, for some odd reason). :(

Think about one thing though. You may not have the pre-order pack, but you still have the game. My cousin unwrapped and played the game for a little bit when he picked it up for me (I went over the day after), and when I arrived, we found out
(the hard way) his DS Lite broke somewhere between that night, and when I arrived the next morning. So since I was relying on using his DS (I don't have my own), I now have a lovely paper weight lying on my shelf. >O

Oh well, just enjoy the game. ^^;;
Scorpinox1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Scorpinox1989

Quick Question:How does a DS Lite just break??..Something must have happened to it between the day your friend bought it and the day it "broke" because they don't just self-destruct themselves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e711e4d5fe7e

Quick Question:How does a DS Lite just break??..Something must have happened to it between the day your friend bought it and the day it "broke" because they don't just self-destruct themselves.

Scorpinox1989

I've read up on this quite a bit from people- DS Lite's tend to be a bit sensitive for some reason, and maybe you need to think about it this way Scorpino:  Take a certain car manufacturer (not naming the type).  Percentage wise only 50% run right coming off the assembly line, while the others will have a maintenance problem within the first year.  So it's a fifty/fifty chance that you get "one of the good cars".  It's bound to happen with a handheld as much as anything.  Sure! There's always operator error, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone said it just didn't turn on one day....

Scorpinox1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Scorpinox1989
[QUOTE="Scorpinox1989"]

Syrinx61

I've read up on this quite a bit from people- DS Lite's tend to be a bit sensitive for some reason, and maybe you need to think about it this way Scorpino:  Take a certain car manufacturer (not naming the type).  Percentage wise only 50% run right coming off the assembly line, while the others will have a maintenance problem within the first year.  So it's a fifty/fifty chance that you get "one of the good cars".  It's bound to happen with a handheld as much as anything.  Sure! There's always operator error, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone said it just didn't turn on one day....

I understand what you're saying,but I'm pretty sure if someone takes care of it then it'll continue to work.

Take Care of It = Not leaving it in an unsafe place like on the floor,Keeping it out of animal's reach,Let the battery pack die almost completely before charging,don't play it for more than 6 hours non-stop,make sure there's always a game in it so that it doesn't get any dirt or dust where you insert the game,and just a hole bunch of minor things like that.

If those precautions are followed,I'm pretty sure the DS would not just "break" one day.

CyberDragon10K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CyberDragon10K
Member since 2006 • 770 Posts
My cousin generally keeps all of his systems in excellent working condition. It just happens that he let the bottom of his DS Lite get wet for one instant. What I don't get is, if it got wet, how was it still working when he loaded PoR in for play immediately after drying it? O=

Also, I've talked to him about the possibility of the battery getting wet, and he says that shouldn't have happened. That's mostly because lithium ion batteries explode when they come in contact/are immersed in liquid... oO;;

The good thing is I just found out the replacement DS Lite from Nintendo arrived today. So he has a working one, and the broken one is being sent back for repairs; yay! ^^
Avatar image for deactivated-5992048d2d5ba
deactivated-5992048d2d5ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5992048d2d5ba
Member since 2005 • 5165 Posts
Well the first rule of thumb is if any type of electronic with a circuit board gets wet you should open it and have it dry overnight before turning it on. Now I don't know if that's what happend but I thought I'd add that bit of info for future use.

But yeah as Syrinx said sometimes you will get the "lemon" out of the bunch no matter how well the product may be. I've seen a lot of defects in many items over the years so it's not uncommon for things such as that to happen.
pinpals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pinpals
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
i pre-order the game and have pass 6 days and i don't heaved i hope they send me the game.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 GreggD
Member since 2004 • 6710 Posts
Now I just feel bad that I have it and you don't. Sorry, Rach. :cry:
Scorpinox1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Scorpinox1989

My cousin generally keeps all of his systems in excellent working condition. It just happens that he let the bottom of his DS Lite get wet for one instant. What I don't get is, if it got wet, how was it still working when he loaded PoR in for play immediately after drying it? O=

Also, I've talked to him about the possibility of the battery getting wet, and he says that shouldn't have happened. That's mostly because lithium ion batteries explode when they come in contact/are immersed in liquid... oO;;

The good thing is I just found out the replacement DS Lite from Nintendo arrived today. So he has a working one, and the broken one is being sent back for repairs; yay! ^^
CyberDragon10K

See?? I knew something happened to it!!!

Thanks for sharing that info,but when it comes to the DS getting wet,it'll have long term effects instead of instant tragedy.So it probably got wet and your friend dried it,but inside it wasn't dry and was getting worse over time,so that's why it took a while for the effects to take control.

Anyway,I'm glad he got a new one!!

alucard1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 alucard1137
Member since 2006 • 2916 Posts
the same thing happened to my ds (note this is going to be a very long post)  a few months ago in march my house burnt down and the house suffered extreme water damage i left my ds open on my bed and the top screen was completely destroyed every once in a while though it works but only for a few minutes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e711e4d5fe7e

i pre-order the game and have pass 6 days and i don't heaved i hope they send me the game.pinpals

You don't have the game yet? :(  I hope you see it very soon.

Alucard your post wasn't long at all- no worries...so sorry to hear about your home- I couldn't even imagine.  So do you have a new one?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e711e4d5fe7e

Gregg no worries here's a story...

Excuse the double post but my husband called me recently from work....I said....

"Hello?"

"Boy this Castlevania soundtrack is pretty damn aweseome, the stylus is sooooo cute!!"

Needless to say, I think my husband has come to the rescue on this situation...but he'll be torturing me in the process :lol: